• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Evander said:
how does android handle custome ringtones, by the way? I know that the iphone actually requires you to pay to convert music you already own. Meanwhile, my HTC Touch Pro came with an mp3 trimmer already on it, so not only can I use my own music, but I can trim it on the go, and have it set automatically, rather than having to pull out audacity every time I want a new ringtone.
Place any mp3/wav you want into a "ringtones" directory on the SD card, then set it in settings.

Same thing with notifications and alarms. Couldn't be easier.

Also, "there's an app for that".

Evander

"industry expert"
DustoMan said:
Here's my problem with the Hero, besides the fact that I can't get one where I live. HTC for some reason is not making this a "... with Google" phone which means the normal Google Android authored apps aren't there. It's Sense or nothing, which on the surface might seem okay until you find out when you read Engadget's hands-on that you can only side-load applications (meaning attached to a computer over USB). THERE'S NO APP STORE! EPIC EPIC FAIL HTC if this is the case. This hardware looks outstanding and I'm hoping that these restrictions are not from HTC but from T-Mobile in Europe because if this phone comes to the US like this... I'd have to pass.

Do you have to have access to the "official" app store in order to get most programs on android?

One of the things I love about WinMo is that I can find programs for it anywhere, and don't have to go through any sort of singular, standardized location.

El Papa

Evander said:
how does android handle custome ringtones, by the way? I know that the iphone actually requires you to pay to convert music you already own. Meanwhile, my HTC Touch Pro came with an mp3 trimmer already on it, so not only can I use my own music, but I can trim it on the go, and have it set automatically, rather than having to pull out audacity every time I want a new ringtone.
You can use any mp3, midi, or OGG file as a ringtone or notification. You can trim it if you want, but it doesn't have to be. There's a free trimmer on the Market.

edit, beaten

Evander

"industry expert"
Skittleguy said:
Place any mp3/wav you want into a "ringtones" directory on the SD card, then set it in settings.

Same thing with notifications and alarms. Couldn't be easier.

Sounds good. That's what I'm used to from WinMo. The trimmer being included on the Touch Pro was just a pleasant suprise, but I don't really mind having to break out audacity to trim, so long as I can still set my own files as ringtones.

Also, "there's an app for that".

Neat, but I'm not interested in paying for it. Or having to download it to get it to work.

One of the reasons why I FAR prefer Chrome over Firefox is that everything is there. Even if a plug-in is completely free, it's still a hassle to have to go and download it when you fnd out you need it, rather than just having the functionality already be there.

Evander said:

Beaten by El Papa, any mp3,and a free trimmer/organizer (Ringdroid) on the market.

You can also get apps from any website, it will warn you when you install that they aren't from the market, then let you proceed.

I cannot believe that the hero won't use the very same Market (App Store) that the G1 does. Sounds like a pre-release issue.

El Papa

DustoMan said:
Here's my problem with the Hero, besides the fact that I can't get one where I live. HTC for some reason is not making this a "... with Google" phone which means the normal Google Android authored apps aren't there. It's Sense or nothing, which on the surface might seem okay until you find out when you read Engadget's hands-on that you can only side-load applications (meaning attached to a computer over USB). THERE'S NO APP STORE! EPIC EPIC FAIL HTC if this is the case. This hardware looks outstanding and I'm hoping that these restrictions are not from HTC but from T-Mobile in Europe because if this phone comes to the US like this... I'd have to pass.
The sideload was referring to firmware updates not apps. HTC sense is basically a UI layer on top of Android 1.5, it can be disabled in various roms that are around. It still has all the Googleness (Gmail, maps, Market, etc.) in there, but doesn't have the "...with Google" logo because it's not a stock Android build, it's modified. That's part of the agreement with manufacturers, if they mod it in any way, they have to take the Google logo off.

Evander

"industry expert"
Ignatz Mouse said:
You can also get apps from any website, it will warn you when you install that they aren't from the market, then let you proceed.

That makes me happy, and greatly increases the chances of my getting an android phone, if Sprint ever releases one.

I don't MIND an app store existing, but I like the freedom to find stuff elsewhere, not just be stuck with a monolithic marketplace.

zedge said:
Gah, thats so hot.. I am so tempted to dump my iPhone for one of these..
What what what? I've never before heard someone say they prefer Android over the iPhone OS. I mean seriously, it's just an empty desktop with a big clock and icons on it? And the rest looks about the same as Windows Mobile (the final picture).

Still, it's not even about the OS. The phone itself in this case is really not special, other HTC phones are a lot better hardware wise, and already on the market.

waxer

Something about android os clicks with me as well.
Im waiting for the new tegra nvidia models to hit. There are 2 due pretty soon I think.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
BONUS: Someone at HTC has supposedly said that the "Sense UI" (Rosie) will be making it's way to "existing HTC Android handsets" legitimately. I guess it makes sense considering the guts are pretty much the same across the board.

El Papa

Mr. Durden said:
What what what? I've never before heard someone say they prefer Android over the iPhone OS. I mean seriously, it's just an empty desktop with a big clock and icons on it? And the rest looks about the same as Windows Mobile (the final picture).
Yeah, seriously.

:rolleyes.gif

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mr. Durden said:
Android is pretty competitive with iPhone OS, and both offer better usability than WinMo. Have you even used the OS?

Krelian

Skittleguy said:
BONUS: Someone at HTC has supposedly said that the "Sense UI" (Rosie) will be making it's way to "existing HTC Android handsets" legitimately. I guess it makes sense considering the guts are pretty much the same across the board.
Sounds great if true. I'd be sure to check it out once it's available. I suppose there's still the possibility of rooting if it turns out not to be true.

As for the Hero, it looks more interesting than when I saw older pics. I'm glad more Android phones are being announced and released.

Btw @Mr. Durden
You don't really think the home screen always has one clock and a few icons, do you?

Ephemeris

Skittleguy said:

Please be true. Please be true. Please be true.

zedge

Mr. Durden said:

Still, it's not even about the OS. The phone itself in this case is really not special, other HTC phones are a lot better hardware wise, and already on the market.

After messing around with my friends 3Gs my Iphone (3G) feels like a gimped pos right now. :(

santouras

Skittleguy said:
would be great if it made its way to other handsets as well, I'm looking at getting the galaxy :)

Another week...another HTC phone.

Reminds me when a new pair of Jordans came out every other week and ppl were flocking to the shoe stores to pay 300 bucks a pair.

That said, this new phone looks pretty slick.

tokkun

santouras said:
would be great if it made its way to other handsets as well, I'm looking at getting the galaxy :)

Actually, they mentioned that they would be integrating it on all phones that come out after the Hero. And I would not be surprised to see custom ROMs with Sense available for devices that are already out, since much of the TouchFlo3D 2 stuff has been made available for the Touch Pro and Diamond.

Lo-Volt

Skittleguy said:

That would be very nice of them. I'd like to play with Sense even if I don't want end up using it in place of the regular Android layout.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MercuryLS said:
Android really is awesome, I hope more apps are made for it. If so I could consider jumping over to their camp.

Which apps, specifically?

Malleymal said:
when does this hit the US

"A distinct North American version will be available later in 2009."

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
maximum360 said:
We need a non-buggy version of Rosie UI imported to HTC Magic, stats !!! I dislike the chin design for HTC Hero and will only contemplate on getting the HTC Magic... but damn that Rosie UI is sexxyyyy !!! Good thing that HTC Magic and HTC Hero shares the same button layout, so it shouldn't be too hard to copy one UI to the other :O

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This video really convinced me on Sense. The browser portion in particular is very, very impressive. Can't beat multitouch and Flash.

If you know my posts in the Magic thread, you know I wasn't originally too keen on Sense (then called Rosie), but it does look very slick. As long as it has unbridled access to the Android Market, I'll definitely think about giving its ROM a spin on my MyTouch.

Andrex said:
This video really convinced me on Sense. The browser portion in particular is very, very impressive. Can't beat multitouch and Flash.

If you know my posts in the Magic thread, you know I wasn't originally too keen on Sense (then called Rosie), but it does look very slick. As long as it has unbridled access to the Android Market, I'll definitely think about giving its ROM a spin on my MyTouch.
What town/neighborhood is that accent from?

Also, when it finds communication that you've had with a person, can it read from Gmail, or only from the blank email app?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Battersea Power Station said:
What town/neighborhood is that accent from?

Also, when it finds communication that you've had with a person, can it read from Gmail, or only from the blank email app?
If it's like WebOS, it probably pull your contacts from Google, then finds links for email (from GMail and others) and Facebook.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For now, I'd bet. And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it doesn't come to either at all.

However, for now I'm going with HTC's CEO over Yahoo.

NetMapel

Andrex said:
For now, I'd bet. And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it doesn't come to either at all.

However, for now I'm going with HTC's CEO over Yahoo.
What sucks is that Hero supports multi-touch which can't be duplicated by Magic :( HTC is forcing me to get a Hero instead :( :( :(

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
NetMapel said:
What sucks is that Hero supports multi-touch which can't be duplicated by Magic :( HTC is forcing me to get a Hero instead :( :( :(
It can. There are rooted roms with multitouch support. It's built into the kernel but blocked out by HTC, probably due to Apple lawsuit fears.

NetMapel

Skittleguy said:
It can. There are rooted roms with multitouch support. It's built into the kernel but blocked out by HTC, probably due to Apple lawsuit fears.
Well that is awesome to hear then. I wany Rosie on HTC Magic >:| Just curious, is it hard to root the phone and change the UI ?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
UPDATE: If you have a "with Google" device (ie. G1, MyTouch 3G) then don't hold your breath for Sense UI. Go licensing agreements...

And as for the others, logistics and cost might prevent my Rogers Magic from seeing this delivered by the provider.

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=7352

So what have we learned? Rooting your device is the best way to get the most out of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eh, that sucks, but now that I think about it, I'm surprised I didn't realize that earlier.

Ah well, the stock build is fine for me. Sense is slick-looking, but in general I do prefer official versions of things over modified ones. Plus, "With Google" devices are guaranteed open access to Android Market, so I can live with it.

NetMapel

Skittleguy said:
Official Hero Rom leaked and patched to work with the HTC Magic. It's so beautiful :')
Youtube that please !!! I want to see with all the beautiful multi-touch and fancy features offered by Rosie UI.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I remember in one of these cellphone threads someone posted a link to a cellphone browser friendly NeoGAF page. Anyone here have that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom