• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evander

"industry expert"
Jamesfrom818 said:
Eh. Sprint gave me the best bargain in terms of monthly plans and I wasn't too enamored with the Pre.

Is HTC making another CDMA phone any time soon?

HTC has a non-touch CDMA phone which is basically A Motorola Q clone (in design) that I haven't seen advertised anywhere but radio shack

jonnybryce said:
I really like the Sense clean up. All the new stuff HTC did to Android is beautiful and impressive. It's also a beautiful phone, which the silver going on vs the pink plastic renders from months ago, but they had to fuglify it. That chin is major. How the hell is that going to look in your pocket?

Like any other phone? Put the chin side to your leg (which I do anyway, because I don't want my pants to glow when I get a call).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ephemeris said:
umm. No? :/

And Andrex, I swore I read later this year for NA.

Yeah, I just read in the OP, "A distinct North American version will be available later in 2009."

"Distinct"? Hopefully they mean there'll be more colors. Anyways I think this might be an AT&T or Sprint phone when it hits the States.

Mr. Durden said:
Seriously, what is up with the extreme Android lovin on Gaf... seriously. It's not that special.

ANDROID!!!!
angry.gif

Evander said:
HTC has a non-touch CDMA phone which is basically A Motorola Q clone (in design) that I haven't seen advertised anywhere but radio shack

I have a Touch Pro so I guess I already have the top of the line CDMA device from HTC.

EDIT: Whats wrong with Windows Mobile? Along with TouchFlo 3D, it works rather well.

Ephemeris

Mr. Durden said:
Seriously, what is up with the extreme Android lovin on Gaf... seriously. It's not that special.

What is up with your dislike of it is the question that's on my mind :lol I mean..

Mr. Durden said:
And the problem again is that Android works well, but it looks really crappy and cheap, even worse than Windows Mobile (although they're trying really hard at Microsoft with the new Windows Mobile look).

...I just don't get where you're coming from.

Evander

"industry expert"
Mr. Durden said:

Mostly, I just want to have options. I also have a decent bit of faith in google, after all of the things that they've brought out.

Honestly, I have zero major issues with WinMo, but having some real competition in terms of OS breeds innovation.

gimmmick said:
Wasn't the multi touch feature disabled (on the g1) in the first place because of the apple patient?

I too hope this is all patchable with android 2.0 (donut) with the g1. I still have no reason to upgrade my g1 since the keyboard alone is the reason I'll still be with this phone if HTC is going the route of on screen keyboards.

The reasons for no multi-touch were never clear, but you can enable it even on the G1 if you have root.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Like any other phone? Put the chin side to your leg (which I do anyway, because I don't want my pants to glow when I get a call).

My question isn't how to insert it into my pocket, it's how big of a triangle point will you see in your pocket from that very big angle chin.

Evander

"industry expert"
Jamesfrom818 said:
I have a Touch Pro so I guess I already have the top of the line CDMA device from HTC.

EDIT: Whats wrong with Windows Mobile? Along with TouchFlo 3D, it works rather well.

Same phone here. The only complaints I have are battery life and the fact that it's impossible to find a decent case for a sliding phone (but I still prefer a keyboard over no keyboard, so I'll take that compromise)

I WOULD prefer if they had gone with the GSM back design, over the one they went with, though. I don't need my phone to be extra rounded and shiny. It's a tool, not an accesory.

Evander

"industry expert"
jonnybryce said:
My question isn't how to insert it into my pocket, it's how big of a triangle point will you see in your pocket from that very big angle chin.

nothing personal, but I don't understand why folks throw phones in to their pants pockets.

I mean, it is like "here is an expensive piece of delicate electronics that I would be basically lost without. I'm going to just toss it in my pocket where it could be easily crushed."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Added a link to this in the HTC Magic and Android Development threads (towards the bottom.)

jonnybryce said:

It's actually flatter than it first appears- the angled back makes it seem like some huge angle, but on the front it's actually pretty flat.

Ignatz Mouse said:
The reasons for no multi-touch were never clear, but you can enable it even on the G1 if you have root.

That's an important note to make, as it means the hardware is capable and a patch is definitely possible. Probable? Depends on if Google grows some fracking balls. :lol

Fatalah

Evander said:
nothing personal, but I don't understand why folks throw phones in to their pants pockets.

I mean, it is like "here is an expensive piece of delicate electronics that I would be basically lost without. I'm going to just toss it in my pocket where it could be easily crushed."

As a male, how else would I carry my phone if not in my pocket?

Don't say belt holster.

jonnybryce said:

None. It doesn't show. It *might* show in tight jeans, but then you can just put the face toward your leg.

The chin rises the face of the G1 about 1mm over the space of about 10 mm. It's very slight when you look at it in person. People complaining about it haven't really looked at it.

To the other poster about Android-- it's waaaay more fluid an OS than WinMo (at least through 6.0, which was my last phone). I'd never go back to WinMo, it was full of headaches and way less flexible than Android.

Evander

"industry expert"
Fatalah said:
As a male, how else would I carry my phone if not in my pocket?

Don't say belt holster.

that's like saying

"As a male, how else would I pee if not standing over a toilet bowl?

Don't say urinal."

Evander

"industry expert"
are we five year olds, stuffing everything we find in to our pockets?

the answer is briefcase or jacket pocket (inside pocket, prefferably) and if these aren't available, then a belt holster is PERFECTLY resonable.

expensive electronics in a pants pocket is silly for anything other than brief transportation.

Evander

"industry expert"
rex64 said:
Sorry dude but winmo sucks

WinMo sucks, but so does everything else that is widely available.

That's the REAL problem.

I want an OS that allows me to customize things. WinMo lets me do that.

Futureman

Evander said:
are we five year olds, stuffing everything we find in to our pockets?

the answer is briefcase or jacket pocket (inside pocket, prefferably) and if these aren't available, then a belt holster is PERFECTLY resonable.

expensive electronics in a pants pocket is silly for anything other than brief transportation.

Not everyone is a classy businessman like you.

Aeonin

I wouldn't be caught dead with a belt holster and this phone. No offense. Maybe its just a personal preference, but the idea of that is terrible. Like increasing your gaydar signal by 4 points - giving off the wrong impression.

Though I do wonder why they make pants for 24 year olds with pockets if they are only for 5 yo and under. Pockets are a viable option for this, thats what the chin is for - to protect the trackball in such a situation.

Evander

"industry expert"
Aeonin said:
I wouldn't be caught dead with a belt holster and this phone. No offense. Maybe its just a personal preference, but the idea of that is terrible. Like increasing your gaydar signal by 4 points - giving off the wrong impression.

Though I do wonder why they make pants for 24 year olds with pockets if they are only for 5 yo and under. Pockets are a viable option for this, thats what the chin is for - to protect the trackball in such a situation.

A belt holster makes some one gay? I thought it was sex with other dudes that did that.

And I didn't say that pockets were for five year olds. I said that five year olds stuff everything in their pockets. Pockets are great for things like keys, wallets, handkerchiefs, cheap pens and pencils. The type of stuff that is either not going to break, or easy to replace if it does.

dude

dude
Phones go in my pocket, this is what pockets are for, carrying your stuff, that's where I carry my iPod as well. Though there's the problem of my future children, so maybe I should start carrying it somewhere else :p

Not a belt holster though, these things look terrible. It's practically a fanny pack.

Aeonin

Haha, I love where this thread has gone so far.

But to get back on topic a bit, I'm looking forward to this phone. The UI looks sexy as hell. But I wish it had more of the Samsung Galaxy in it. 8GB storage and a flash. Otherwise, it would be perfect for me. Though I think I'll still get this phone, theres just something about it thats cool.

Evander

"industry expert"
Jamesfrom818 said:
Messenger bags are the way to go boys.

absolutely. a messanger bag or backpack (or other form of manly baggage) can easily replace the briefcase in what I stated earlier.

comparing belt holsters to fanny packs is absurd. If belt-holsters have an issue, it is that they look too professional. I don't think you generally see corporate executives generally walking around with suits and fanny-packs, though.

Ephemeris

dude said:
Phones go in my pocket, this is what pockets are for, carrying your stuff, that's where I carry my iPod as well.

This for me.

I understand what Evander's trying to say but my preference is having it in my pocket.
I keep my mp3 player in the other pocket.
I don't think belt holsters look horrible; I used to sport one with my Dash at work. I just feel uncomfortable sometimes with them (I used to fumble answering the phone quickly).

Jamesfrom818 said:
Messenger bags are the way to go boys.
For my mp3 player, most def. Phone? Not for me.

Falch

Looks nice.

I haven't been in the loop about mobile phones lately. How's the support for the Android OS?

PSGames

Mr. Durden said:

It's the only finger friendly UI that can go head to head with the iPhone OS in features and functionality. I'm really looking forward to Windows Mobile 7 but until it is released there is no contest.

Evander

"industry expert"
PSGames said:
It's the only finger friendly UI that can go head to head with the iPhone OS in features and functionality. I'm really looking forward to Windows Mobile 7 but until it is released there is no contest.

Eh. I like stylii, and honestly, the iPhone OS lacks too many features that I find important.

My interest in android is simply an extension of my interest in google as a whole. They have created a wide variety of applications for my PC and WinMo phone that have becme near-neccesities for my every day life, so I am very curious to see what they can do with an OS.

El Papa

Android get's the love it gets because it's the most flexible mobile OS in existence and gives developers full control over the phone letting them do almost anything they want. I mean, my Android phone is also a metal detector. Come on now.

The Hero looks so much better than it did in earlier pics. The chin doesn't look as big as it used to. Hotness.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Falch said:
Looks nice.

I haven't been in the loop about mobile phones lately. How's the support for the Android OS?

Pretty great. At the moment, the Android Market does only have 1/10th of the apps the App Store does (5k to 50k), but all the important ones are there. More importantly, because it was second to market, Android's all-in-one app store is second overall (besting BlackBerry AppWorld, WebOS App Catologue, and Nokia OviStore*). The number is also going to expand really quickly later this year when the second Android Developers Challenge hits, which will give away more than $1 million to 30 application developers.

For an in-depth comparison of all app stores, click here.

*Windows Mobile Marketplace has yet to even come out.

Eventually, I suspect the number of Android applications to grow exponentially (literally) when the different devices hit, and specifically in the US. By the end of this year, we know of four announced Android phones that will be on the market: T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), T-Mobile MyTouch (HTC Magic), HTC Hero, and the Samsung Galaxy (i7500). In addition we have AT&T's leaked phones (HTC Lancaster and Motorola Heron), T-Mobile's leaked phones (Motorola Bigfoot and Morrison), and other wildcards (Huawei U8230, Lenovo OPhone, and netbooks).

To confirm 2009 will be a big year for Android, Andy Rubin of Google said there will be 18 to 20 new devices released by the end of the year, and that's just what he knows about (some companies could have downloaded the Android source code, put it on their devices, and not even have informed Google at all).

Imagine all those sales. If the T-Mobile G1, by many admissions a beta release, can sell 1 million, imagine what 18-20 of them could do. I think some of the big developers supporting iPhone exclusively but on the fence for Android will eventually become supporters of both.

tl;dr: 2009 = year of the PS3 Android

Ephemeris said:
Check out the walkthrough vid.

T-Mo UK is calling this one the G1-Touch. I wonder if this is supposed to be the G1 v2 in the US?

If so, was this just a placeholder/mockup/whatever?

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tmobile-g1-v2-300x247.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The Bigfoot is different. I don't think the Hero will hit T-Mobile.

Fatalah

Evander said:
Eh. I like stylii, and honestly, the iPhone OS lacks too many features that I find important.

My interest in android is simply an extension of my interest in google as a whole. They have created a wide variety of applications for my PC and WinMo phone that have becme near-neccesities for my every day life, so I am very curious to see what they can do with an OS.

Dude, do you have your own tech blog or something? You seem to be pretty passionate on this topic, and all I see is post after post with your avatar.

I guess you're the guy to ask--- when is Verizon going to have a crazy awesome phone like the iPhone, Palm Pre, HTC Hero?

FreezeSSC

Seems like a good phone, would get that over an iphone if it has good software support like my iphone and itunes.

also why the winmo hate? havnt really used it much but i always wondered what was so bad about it that everyone hates it.

El Papa

Evander said:
WinMo sucks, but so does everything else that is widely available.

That's the REAL problem.

I want an OS that allows me to customize things. WinMo lets me do that.
Android let's you customize pretty much everything, icons (even the little status icons like the battery indicator), ringtones, themes, even the number of home screens, dailer, keyboard, browser, etc. Just look at what HTC has done with Hero.

Evander said:

Stylii are a holdover from the PDA days when touch was crude and input was done with gesture like "handwriting". With the advances of technology and mobile OSes like Android and iPhone OS, stylii are unnecessary and also impractical when using one hand.

The thing I love about Android is that like you, I use Google for everything, and Google services are so well integrated with the OS, it's a dream.

Ephemeris

Andrex said:
Imagine all those sales. If the T-Mobile G1, by many admissions a beta release, can sell 1 million, imagine what 18-20 of them could do. I think some of the big developers supporting iPhone exclusively but on the fence for Android will eventually become supporters of both.

tl;dr: 2009 = year of the PS3 Android.

Pretty exciting. The influx of devices should work wonders for the Android Market.

As for the Hero not-on-T-Mobile thing, it makes sense, considering T-Mo said they were gonna push the Magic as the Network's premier Android phone for 2009 (I'm paraphrasing here).

Evander

"industry expert"
El Papa said:
Android let's you customize pretty much everything, icons (even the little status icons like the battery indicator), ringtones, themes, even the number of home screens, dailer, keyboard, browser, etc. Just look at what HTC has done with Hero.

Stylii are a holdover from the PDA days when touch was crude and input was done with gesture like "handwriting". With the advances of technology and mobile OSes like Android and iPhone OS, stylii are unnecessary and also impractical when using one hand.

The thing I love about Android is that like you, I use Google for everything, and Google services are so well integrated with the OS, it's a dream.

Android isn't widely available. As I've been saying, I'd love to have an Android CDMA option (I'm not giving up my SERO plan, REGARDLESS of phone)

As for finger vs. stylus, the beauty of a stylus is that it is standardized. I am "blessed" with giant hands (not sausage fingers, just proportionately large hands. 8" length by 10" breadth) Removing the sylus means that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to do most things with any grace or efficiency. Just because fingers work well for some people doesn't make them the "ultimate" solution for all products. The "ultimate" solution is to have both options, with an OS optimized for fingers on a device that accepts a stylus input.

Evander

"industry expert"
Fatalah said:
Dude, do you have your own tech blog or something? You seem to be pretty passionate on this topic, and all I see is post after post with your avatar.

I guess you're the guy to ask--- when is Verizon going to have a crazy awesome phone like the iPhone, Palm Pre, HTC Hero?

I am too lazy to keep up an actual blog. I AM full of opinions, though.

As far as Verizon goes, I believe that they are going to have either the Palm Pre itself, or else some other phone (with more of a Treo style design) running WebOS by Holidays 09, or posibily in the first couple months of 2010. That's all rumor, though.

I don't pay much attention to Verizon because of the draconian way that they lock down their phones and remove features.

Ephemeris

El Papa said:

Oh most definitely.

Skittleguy said:

tunacat_1_9afe8c273dcca606aa3548127.jpg

3359503794_d3e285f5b7.jpg

device11.png

htc-hero-leak-2.png

Likewise. :D

zedge

Ephemeris said:
Oh most definitely.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/Aibou/Android/tunacat_1_9afe8c273dcca606aa3548127.jpg[/IMG]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3647/3359503794_d3e285f5b7.jpg[/IMG]

http://buffawhat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/device11.png[/IMG]

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/htc-hero-leak-2.png[/IMG]

Likewise. :D

Gah, thats so hot.. I am so tempted to dump my iPhone for one of these..

Evander

"industry expert"
how does android handle custome ringtones, by the way? I know that the iphone actually requires you to pay to convert music you already own. Meanwhile, my HTC Touch Pro came with an mp3 trimmer already on it, so not only can I use my own music, but I can trim it on the go, and have it set automatically, rather than having to pull out audacity every time I want a new ringtone.

DustoMan

Banned
Here's my problem with the Hero, besides the fact that I can't get one where I live. HTC for some reason is not making this a "... with Google" phone which means the normal Google Android authored apps aren't there. It's Sense or nothing, which on the surface might seem okay until you find out when you read Engadget's hands-on that you can only side-load applications (meaning attached to a computer over USB). THERE'S NO APP STORE! EPIC EPIC FAIL HTC if this is the case. This hardware looks outstanding and I'm hoping that these restrictions are not from HTC but from T-Mobile in Europe because if this phone comes to the US like this... I'd have to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom