• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Web Reviews:
  • TechRadar:
    But it's all very well to say that you're going to get the best phone just because it's fixed a few bugs and shed a few pounds... what we want to know is whether the HTC Magic is the phone that's going to thrust Android into the psyche of the phone buying public as successfully as Apple has with its iPhone.

[...] The touchscreen is to die for, Android's 1.5 firmware upgrade has really done the business in terms of adding new functionality, and Google's presence throughout the phone really adds a number of applications that are genuinely useful and ultimately cool. And that's before we even get to the Market app store.

[...] We'd even go as far as saying it's a genuine iThrone contender as it offers something very different but equally as compelling as the iPhone, and for all the people that simply don't want Apple's device they would find a lot to love here, especially with all the applications on show.​
  • SlashGear (Android Community):
    For a long time now, Android and the T-Mobile G1 have been pretty much synonymous, defining not only form-factor but functionality of what makes a “Google Phone”. Gatecrashing that arrangement comes the HTC Magic, second Android smartphone to reach the market and the slimmer, prettier sibling to the G1, bringing with it the latest iteration of the Google OS, version 1.5 “Cupcake”. Expectations for both hardware and software have been huge; read on for the Android Community opinion.

[...] Sharing media is also made quicker, thanks to integration with YouTube and Picasa. Enter your login details for an account with either service, and the “Share” option in the gallery allows one-touch uploads in addition to sending image/video attachments via email or MMS. Other apps can also add their own media sharing options to that list; Twitter client Twidroid, for instance, lets you instantly create a new photo tweet from a shot you’ve just taken.

[...] In all, the browser is less impressive than Mobile Safari on the iPhone; we particularly miss the way you can double tap on a block of text, and have the page perfectly render to fit it on-screen. The Magic almost achieves that, but there’s still scrolling to be done. Where it steps ahead of the iPhone, though, is in handling bookmarks: as well as instantly bookmarking the current page, you can scroll through your most-viewed pages and instantly add them to your bookmark list. Finally there’s a history tab, which again allows you to bookmark individual entries. Everything is straightforward and finger-friendly: other platforms could learn a lot from Google’s bookmarking system.

[...] What all that means is that the HTC Magic crosses the important boundary from geek’s phone to mainstream phone. Build quality is decent, with the handset looking slick in either gloss white or black, and Android has already matured into a usable, straightforward OS with plenty of flexibility. The Magic still offers the openness that Apple’s iPhone lacks, but now that’s an optional ethos rather than a necessity to get the same functionality that feature-phones offer from the get-go. With the Samsung I7500 around the corner, and Android handsets from other manufacturers tipped as imminent, 2009 looks to be the year that Google’s mobile platform really builds its momentum. Those new entrants will find a strong contender in the shape of the HTC Magic, though, and for now it’s the Android smartphone to beat.​
  • Telegraph.co.uk:
    Vodafone Magic: Apple should be frightened to the core

Three aspects are particularly impressive: the first is the touchscreen, which works as effectively as the iPhone’s, and consequently is among the best on the market. This is crucial because the phone’s second, fine feature is the Android interface – sweeping motions move from one screen to another and the menu system is intuitive enough to make users comfortable with trying new things.

The third impressive feature is the range of applications. Google’s Streetview allows users to tilt the phone to pan around a photograph of streets as well as using maps, and so there’s no reason to ever be lost again.​
  • Gizmodo:
    Not only does the T-Mobile G2/HTC Magic/Google Ion phone improve on original T-Mobile G1 in just about every way, it manages to do it while cutting down significantly on the size. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is a hardware keyboard.

[...] The generously curved shell is thicker than the iPhone, but less wide, which actually makes it feel better in the hand. It weighs 4.09 ounces compared to the G1's 5.60 ounces, but somehow manages to feel even lighter, like half as heavy. That curved chin that caused such a nuisance when typing on the G1 is no longer a problem, due to the fact that there's no actual slide-out hardware keyboard. Face buttons are now smaller and shiny and raised, which makes them easier to locate and press.

[...] What you'll feel most often is the increased ROM and RAM: 512MB and 288MB, respectively. The beefed up hardware makes a noticeable difference in speed when launching and using apps.

[...] Although the T-Mobile G2/Google Ion/HTC Magic has still has its flaws, it's essentially better than the G1 in every way. It's lighter, faster, better and supposedly lasts longer on a charge. Unless you absolutely need to have a hardware keyboard for massive text entry, there's no real reason why Android seekers shouldn't get the G2 when it debuts on T-Mobile soon.​
  • CNET Reviews:
    The Google Ion is the Android device for which we've been waiting. A few complaints remain, but its eye-catching design and interface, improved features, and satisfying performance make us excited about Android's full potential.

[...] The user interface is similar to the G1's, which means it is fun, clean, and intuitive. [...] The home screen is made of three panels side by side, which you can move between by swiping your finger across the display. In a bold degree of customization, you can populate the screen with any number of shortcut icons that give instant access to the related applications. The Ion comes with a selection of default icons, but you can remove them or add more as you wish. Such customization and ease-of-use makes for one of the best cell phone UI's around.

[...] Below the display are the Ion's only physical controls. They offer improvements over the G1 not only because there are more of them, but also because they have a sturdier feel. You'll find Talk and End/power keys, a Home button, the aforementioned Menu control, a Google Search shortcut key, and a back button. The keys are crammed into a relatively small area, but they didn't feel too cramped. We also like that the navigation trackball is larger and has more space around its perimeter.

[...] On the upside, the T-Mobile 3G connection was lightning fast under most circumstances. Particularly when using the browser, we noticed a positive change from the iPhone. T-Mobile 3G connection doesn't seem to penetrate as far into buildings as AT&T's does, but once you have it, you should be quite satisfied.

[...] Like with the G1, the Ion's processor performed beautifully. The phone responded quickly to our commands when opening and closing applications and there was no lag time when navigating the menus. More importantly, we didn't experience any system freezes or crashes.

More coming soon maybe! Most likely when it launches in the US.

Video Reviews:
  • SlashGear (Android Community):
    The G1 was criticized for being an enthusiasts phone, demanding patience with a fledgling OS and accused of missing features that even basic handsets included without a second thought. Does the Magic fall into the same trap? The only way to find out is to head over to the Android Community HTC Magic review.​
  • MobileBurn Part 1, Part 2, Part 3:
    MobileBurn takes an in-depth look at the HTC Magic in three HD-enabled YouTube videos.​

Please post other reviews if you got 'em.

Specifications:
  • Official Manufacturer Website
  • Names:
    • HTC Magic: Manufacturer, Vodafone, Rogers, Others
    • Google Ion: Special Google I/O Edition
    • T-Mobile myTouch 3G: T-Mobile USA
  • Colors:
    • White: United States, United Kingdom, Spain, France, Italy
    • Black: United States, Germany, Italy
    • Merlot: United States
  • Processor: Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
  • Operating System: Android (Version 1.5 "Cupcake")
  • Memory:
    • ROM: 512 MB
    • RAM: 192MB (T-Mobile USA, Vodafone) / 288 MB (All Others)
  • Dimensions: 113 x 55.56 x 13.65 mm ( 4.45 x 2.19 x 0.54 inches)
  • Weight: 116 grams ( 4.09 ounces) with battery
  • Display: 3.2-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 320x480 HVGA resolution
  • Network:
    • HSDPA/WCDMA:
      • 900/2100 MHz
      • Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
      • 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
      (Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)
  • Device Control: Trackball with Enter button
  • GPS: Internal GPS antenna
  • Connectivity:
    • Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets
    • Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    • HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)
  • Camera: 3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus
  • Audio supported formats: AAC, AAC+, AMR-NB, MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC-LC, MIDI, OGG
  • Video supported formats: MP4, 3GP
  • HTC Sync™ system requirements:
    • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher or Microsoft Windows Vista®
    • Microsoft® Office Outlook® 2000/2002/2003/2007, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), or Windows Contacts
  • Microsoft® Exchange Server synchronization requirements: Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
  • Battery:
    • Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
    • Capacity: 1340 mAh
    • Talk time:
      • Up to 400 minutes for WCDMA
      • Up to 450 minutes for GSM
    • Standby time:
      • Up to 660 hours for WCDMA
      • Up to 420 hours for GSM
      (The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
  • Expansion Slot: microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
  • AC Adapter: Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 47/63 Hz
  • DC output: 5V and 1A
  • Special Features:
    • G-sensor
    • Digital Compass

Note: Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.

Release Details:
  • United States:
    • Price: $200 w/ 2-year contract
    • Date: Late July (Existing Customers), August (Public)
    • Carrier: T-Mobile
    • Exclusive? Yes
  • Canada:
  • Spain:
    • Price: €189 w/ contract
    • Date: 27 April 2009
    • Carrier: Vodafone
    • Exclusive? Yes
  • United Kingdom:
    • Price: Free w/ contract
    • Date: 1 May 2009
    • Exclusive? Yes
  • Germany:
    • Price: €1 w/ €44.95 monthly contract, €59.90 w/ €24.95 monthly contract
    • Date: 28 April 2009
    • Exclusive? Yes
  • France:
    • Price: €99 after €50 rebate w/ contract
    • Date: 6 May 2009
    • Carrier: SFR
    • Exclusive? Yes
  • Sweden:
    • Price: 3Pott 499 w/ 2-year contract
    • Date: "Soon"
    • Carrier: Tre
    • Exclusive? Unknown
  • Italy:
    • Price: Unknown
    • Date: Unknown
    • Exclusive? No
  • Taiwan:
    • Price: NT$20,900
    • Date: May
    • Carrier: Chunghwa Telecom
    • Exclusive? Unknown
  • Japan:
    • Price: Unknown
    • Date: Unknown
    • Carrier: NTT DoCoMo
    • Exclusive? Unknown

Notes: The Asian version of the HTC Magic is the only one to offer out-of-the-box Exchange Support; this version also replaces the Vodafone/carrier logo and "With Google" with two HTC logos, as seen in the above image, and replaces the standard Android dialer with a "Smart Dialer" app (see here). Also, the US version is rumored to have an increased 5.0 megapixel camera.

HTC Magic Images:
large1.jpg

large2.jpg

large4.jpg

vodafone_htc_magic_androidcommunity.jpg

tunacat_1_9afe8c273dcca606aa3548127.jpg

tunacat_1_b71ed565f561884a7dbe62669.jpg

Google Ion Images:
33665904-2-440-PALM-4.jpg

pr_g2_handson_f.jpg

medium_3573494485_f3b6a7d3eb_o.jpg

medium_3573494411_340cc98ff3_o.jpg

T-Mobile myTouch 3G Images:
t-mobile-mytouch-3g-ofc.jpg

mytouch3g-af.jpg
mytouch3g-af2.jpg
mytouch3g-af3.jpg

3na3k93m2ZZZZZZZZZ96k17c8df38893b12a3.jpg
3k63oa3l7ZZZZZZZZZ96k2631e30135dc163f.jpg

3n13k13lbZZZZZZZZZ96k13dafb3491531105.jpg
3k43m03ofZZZZZZZZZ96kf4c5c87cb3c71c73.jpg

Comparison Images:

htc-magic-android-phone-g2-vodafone.jpg

htc-magic-09.jpg

* The two above images reflect the non-final button configuration, but still have the same size as the final hardware.​

NeoGAF Android Threads
  • NeoGAF Android Trilogy:

• Individual Device Threads

• Meet the HTC Hero
    The official thread for the unveiling of HTC's third Android device, the HTC Hero which debuts HTC's custom Android interface, "Sense" - including multitouch, Adobe Flash, and a slick customized user interface.

• Meet the Motorola Cliq
    The official thread of the first US Android device not made by HTC, the Motorola Cliq, which includes the company's custom Android interface, "Motoblur" - streaming all your social networking lives into a single device.

• Sony Ericsson’s XPERIA X10
    The official thread for Sony-Ericsson's stunning first Android device, the XPERIA X10, which includes a sleek profile, ridiculously high-end specs, and their custom interface "Nexus UX" - transforming Android into an elegant work of art as only Sony-Ericsson can do.

• Meet the Google Nexus One
    The official thread for the real, actual, in-the-flesh Google Phone: the Nexus One, boasting an AMOLED WVGA screen, a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, and the beautiful Android 2.1. Sold by Google itself, with no other branding, this handset can be bought either unlocked or with contract from a US GSM provider.

• Other Threads:

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has to be better than shitty HTC mogul and touch pro. I hate both of these devices with a passion. Not sure what i hate more the devices or windows mobile. Good to see another android phone. As a sprint customer i will be switching to a palm pre as soon as possible.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Hopefully this will drive the price on the Touch HD down and I can finally join the club :D

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I hope this or the Pre gets to AT&T by the end of the year. I'm gonna need a new phone in October or November, and I want something good. I'm not switching services though and don't want an iPhone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Visualante said:
£30 a month for 18 months, not a chance. Exclusivity sucks.

I'm waiting for Google to sell it unlocked as the Android Dev Phone 2, but it'll have to launch in the US before that happens. :/ They'd (hopefully) price it at around $400, same as the ADP1, because it's going for $600/700 unlocked on the internet, and (hopefully) lower the ADP1's price.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Whoo, June release for Canada ? I'm gonna see if I can upgrade my phone to that ! Looks good !

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
You really put a lot of work into your posts Andrex.

Thanks. :D I like doing things right the first time is all. Plus, as a coder, I tend to indent the hell out of things. :lol Just like things to be more structured.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
NetMapel said:
Oh, and a demo video at youtube for anybody interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazqE9gZf28

I've had to have watched that vid three times by now. :lol Once when it first came out, once sometime last month (got halfway through before I realized I'd seen it before :lol), and again just now. :lol

For a really great overview of the Magic I'd suggest watching SlashGear's video review, covers everything really well.

I wish it was the THC magic!!! then I would maybe give a fuck.
People cum over technology these days like it's going out of style, fuck off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I'm waiting for Pre before making any decisions.

And they should have named this phone the THC. Much cooler.

HTC is the name of the manufacturer, stands for High Tech Corperation I think. Not exactly inspired, but they only recently came out into the spotlight with their designs (before I think they'd make them direct for carriers with none of their logos, etc.)

I really like it in black but Samsung's phone has such better specs.

It's not enough to make me jump ship, I'm waiting for the Pre as well. Android hasn't blown me away yet.

SRG01

NetMapel said:
Whoo, June release for Canada ? I'm gonna see if I can upgrade my phone to that ! Looks good !

I would be excited, but Rogers tends to be, uh, quite interesting most of the time. :lol The E71 was horribly crippled from the start.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jonnybryce said:
I really like it in black but Samsung's phone has such better specs.

It's not enough to make me jump ship, I'm waiting for the Pre as well. Android hasn't blown me away yet.

Yeah the Samsung phone seems great, the headphone jack would have been such a killer feature for the Magic and the buffed up memory always is appreciated, but it's rumored to come out here in October, and I hope to have an Android phone before then.

kojacker

something so simple as no camera flash = me still waiting to get on board with android. Same thing with the iphone.

I really want an android phone so I can start making applications for it (yes, I've bookmarked your other thread). Too bad I'm, A) too cheap to get a data plan, and B) on Verizon.

Verizon, you'll eat our shitty shitty phones because our network is awesome (tm).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kojacker said:
something so simple as no camera flash = me still waiting to get on board with android. Same thing with the iphone.

Ah, then you'll have to wait for the Samsung i7500, which has a 5.0mp camera with Power LED. Not the same as a full flash, I suppose. Supposed to hit in the Summer for Europe and October for US.

electricpirate said:
I really want an android phone so I can start making applications for it (yes, I've bookmarked your other thread).

:)

electricpirate said:
Too bad I'm, A) too cheap to get a data plan, and B) on Verizon.

Verizon, you'll eat our shitty shitty phones because our network is awesome (tm).

Yeah, it's odd, all the Verizon subscribers I've seen have taken such a defeatist attitude when it comes to them getting good phones. :lol Like, every single one.

For the record you don't need an actual phone to develop an Android app, the emulator emulates the entire OS.

Lol, beyond that my wife is still on her families plan, so this way we don't eat minutes.

I'm pretty terrible at developing out of the blue, I really need to hold a phone like this in my hand, walk around and go "Holy shit, I wish this could do x" and get to work. So I'll hold off for now, I also want to see what Mojo is bringing to the table.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Onix said:
I'm waiting for the keyboard version (whatever it's called) ... but this review sounds hot.

The Memphis? Yeah that looks great too. :) I wish certain companies would hurry up with their announcements.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I currently have a Blackberry Curve and I'm holding out for a Pre because I want to stop paying the extra fee. I've heard mixed reviews about HTC models for a long time now.

Raistlin

Andrex said:
The Memphis? Yeah that looks great too. :) I wish certain companies would hurry up with their announcements.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. If it really is the same thing as the magic - but with a slide out qwerty as everyone has speculated - I think that may be my next phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Onix said:
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. If it really is the same thing as the magic - but with a slide out qwerty as everyone has speculated - I think that may be my next phone.

Depending on when they announce it for US, same...

I guess wanting never to get the short end of the ever-increasing tech stick is too much to ask. :lol

SRG01

PantherLotus said:
I currently have a Blackberry Curve and I'm holding out for a Pre because I want to stop paying the extra fee. I've heard mixed reviews about HTC models for a long time now.

Why are you holding back on HTC? Reflashed HTC phones are pretty good.

nataku

T-mobile, again?

Will this, or any Android phone for that matter, ever come to another provider? T-mobile service might as well not even be available in Omaha (I don't think they even have a store here).

Raistlin

Andrex said:
I guess wanting never to get the short end of the ever-increasing tech stick is too much to ask. :lol

"Sometimes you've just gotta say, what the fuck"

I know people, people with plenty of cash, who haven't bought an HDTV yet. And these are people that are pretty into A/V. But they're just waiting for the right one :\

I used to be like that. THANK GOD I've learned better. Life is short.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I'm seriously just considering jumping in with the G1 already.

nataku said:
T-mobile, again?

Will this, or any Android phone for that matter, ever come to another provider? T-mobile service might as well not even be available in Omaha (I don't think they even have a store here).

According to the OHA site, the following could be US carriers for Android devices (officially):

Sprint Nextel
T-Mobile

The others have made noncommittal statements about Android.

PacoDG

Onix said:

Awesome. ... was going to complain about the lack of keyboard.. but knowing one is on the way gives me time to start saving up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
g35twinturbo said:
this alone makes me happy.

Out of the box, that is only talking about the Asian version unfortunately. However I think there's an app for that (ha ha oh Apple) on the Market anyways.

Edit- Yeah, TouchDown.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Andrex said:
Out of the box, that is only talking about the Asian version unfortunately. However I think there's an app for that (ha ha oh Apple) on the Market anyways.

See iphone works but it has some serious issues lol.

quaere

So...without clicking through the 12 page TechRadar review, does the GPS actually work this time? That and the PDF deficiency are the two things that make me really miss my first gen iPhone when I use the G1.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
aswedc said:
So...without clicking through the 12 page TechRadar review, does the GPS actually work this time? That and the PDF deficiency are the two things that make me really miss my first gen iPhone when I use the G1.

Yeah, GPS has been hugely improved from Android 1.0/1.1. Many reviewers have noted it's faster and more accurate to get a signal.

For PDF, a great PDF app came out just recently called Repligo Reader.

Krelian

Andrex said:
Germany:
  • Price: €1 w/ €44.95 monthly contract, €59.90 w/ €24.95 monthly contract
  • Date: 28 April 2009
  • Exclusive? Yes
If you're a student and order online you can even get it with a contract for €35 per month. Full dataplan and telephone plan (choice between landline or mobile). That's what I got. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me :)
Also, although it's Vodafone exclusive it isn't SIM locked. So you could just buy it (around €400 according to eBay) and use any provider you want.

I've used the Magic for a week now and I can say that I'm impressed with the device and the OS. It's fun to work and play around with. It is my first smartphone, though.
I can see that the lack of a hardware keyboard would be a problem for some people. Some apps don't even work without it, like the Terminal app and some games I tried.

So I hope you guys in the US can get this awesome phone soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom