• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Titans in Titanfall 2

Chris1

gZRwpAz.jpg

So 3 days early and there will be more

Hmm so Angel City won't be in the game until at least December (assuming monthly updates since it looks like they're doing 1 map a time)?

Izuna

Banned
Hmm so Angel City won't be in the game until at least December (assuming monthly updates since it looks like they're doing 1 map a time)?

Oh I didn't realise that could be the case. =( Definitely not bothered to pre-order now.

So we can only play with other people who pre-ordered for those 3 days?

I dint know this was hard to understand. Games been doing this forever man.

Well I haven't played those games.

trailer makes me want to buy this game.............................................

but i remember the beta and how bored i was after some matches................................................

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I will say that while week one of the tech test couldnt have left a worse impression on me, I enjoyed week two more, these Titans look awesome (Ronin <3), and seeing Angel City is coming is a site for sore eyes... as I think the three new maps are... not great.

Hopefully they keep listening to the community, have some good new maps coming, etc.

For every cool ability the Titans have they are weighted down with some pretty lame stuff. I can't believe they brought back the Plasma Railgun, that thing was a huge PITA in TF1 but of course they pair it with Cluster Missiles which were arguably the best ordnance... and what is the point of the VTOL ability? It looks like you are just stationary 50 feet up.

Yay we get the 40 mm back but it's tied to Particle Wall and not being able to use ordnance unless you have a lock on.

I still stand by my opinion that "Hero" Titans is a poor direction to go in for Titans and takes away a significant portion of what made TF1 fun.

I hope that the Titans have some customization options, even if it means one or two different guns for each.

Going from the first game where you could mix and match to a Hero/Champion system doesn't feel like an upgrade.

Lunar15

On one hand, there's finally a Macross-esque missile spam Titan, but on the other I really didn't like the alpha test at all.

I wish I could get some kind of PC demo with more of the Titans.

gZRwpAz.jpg

So 3 days early and there will be more

It's so desperate but by god it's winning me over.

soultron

Banned
For every cool ability the Titans have they are weighted down with some pretty lame stuff. I can't believe they brought back the Plasma Railgun, that thing was a huge PITA in TF1 but of course they pair it with Cluster Missiles which were arguably the best ordnance... and what is the point of the VTOL ability? It looks like you are just stationary 50 feet up.

Yay we get the 40 mm back but it's tied to Particle Wall and not being able to use ordnance unless you have a lock on.

I still stand by my opinion that "Hero" Titans is a poor direction to go in for Titans and takes away a significant portion of what made TF1 fun.

Couldn't VTOL be used to safely move over sections of maps affected by area control abilities from Titans like Scorch?

black070

Decided to keep my digital preorder despite having mixed feelings about the tech test, but hot damn have the trailers for this game haven't been on point.

Titans look great. I still miss the customization though from the first.

Wish we could have best of both world with the customization and different chassis.

I still haven't decided if this is a buy or not as the "tech test" was a disappointment.

Hopefully they show off more maps sooner rather than later.

Couldn't VTOL be used to safely move over sections of maps affected by area control abilities from Titans like Scorch?

Then it could be used to get your Titan on top of a building. I suspect that Respawn doesn't want people doing that but hey, you never know.

Angel City!

Hope the map is untouched, and not some stupid tweaked version of it that removes all that made it awesome.

Sad that the old Titans didn't come back, figured they would still be in as they were so numerous. A few years later and those Titans don't exist?

Looks like some good variety there. I understand people want to be able to choose the chassis/weapon type separately, but I get why developers decided to group them together. Namely,they wanted to make the weapons more unique/gameplay specific as well as balanced, which is probably way harder to do if you have to account for the variable movement speeds/health/abilities of different chassis. Besides that, there seems to be way more customization on your Titans than there was in the first game.

Lunar15

I'm fine with them being hero characters. I just think it probably would have been a better idea for the alpha test to have both a fast and a slow titan, rather than two slow titans.

I want to love this game so bad but that alpha was just ho hum.

jet1911

For those of us who never played Titanfall 1. What is the attrition game mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiIamHIzBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RnVcTkCrh0

It's TDM with AI bots running around that you need to kill or avoid depending on how you want to play. There's generally a lot of things going in the background of the maps too. It make the game feels like a single player level at times. A lot of atmosphere and some great music too. It was a really intersting game mode that played like nothing on the market at the time.

Izuna

Banned
Those maps look just as flat and open as the beta maps. No buy for me.

Does it show new maps?

... I thought they were the tech test maps.

edit: oh noooo

I feel like Tone HAS to have like 4-5 bullets max per 40mm magazine. It's the only Primary with any real precision and damage promise. It would literally be the best.

soultron

Banned
Then it could be used to get your Titan on top of a building. I suspect that Respawn doesn't want people doing that but hey, you never know.

They will have designed the heights of buildings with this in mind, whether they choose to allow players to get on top of them or not.

Definitely a few new ones in there. The maps with other playstyles they talked about were damage control PR just as I thought.

and you can tell that with 5 seconds of footage in one area of a map...

and the possible 3 new maps they show in here all have structures and shit around so lol

tin foil hats!

dan2026

Does anyone know if we are going to be able to customise the colours on our Titans?

At the moment they are all boring shades of grey.

Courage

I wouldn't be optimistic for maps similar to the first game's layouts. The director himself stated their design philosophy has changed for this game. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed with DLC.

I wouldn't be optimistic for maps similar to the first game's layouts. The director himself stated their design philosophy has changed for this game. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed with DLC.

clearly it had to be. There is a titan that can fly. It's starting to make more sense

rackham

Banned
I'd much rather be able to customize Titans with weapons, ordinances, etc. and aesthetically than whatever this is.

and you can tell that with 5 seconds of footage in one area of a map...

and the possible 3 new maps they show in here all have structures and shit around so lol

tin foil hats!

Yes I can tell by the multiple angles on multiple parts of the maps. There was one building that was taller than 2 stories in all of those. Go look at some screenshots of Titanfall to see what I mean by verticality.

Keasar

For those of us who never played Titanfall 1. What is the attrition game mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiIamHIzBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RnVcTkCrh0

It's TDM with AI bots running around that you need to kill or avoid depending on how you want to play. There's generally a lot of things going in the background of the maps too. It make the game feels like a single player level at times. A lot of atmosphere and some great music too. It was a really intersting game mode that played like nothing on the market at the time.

The A.I bots were not unique to Attrition mode, you are painting it in a prettier picture than it was.

Attrition mode was a point based mode where you got points for killing A.I soldiers and players. This led to the game's most boring meta where people played with two weapons only (40mm Cannons for Titans and Smart Pistols for Pilots) since what you wanted to do was kill absolutely everything. This also led to a problem where on maps people tended to spread out extremely all over the place, making it hard to find other players. It was the worst mode for the game (behind Pilot vs. Pilot, now that was just pure pointless).

The "singleplayer" stuff he is referring to was actually from the campaign mode, that's what the first linked trailer is from. Where you had a sort of cinematic intro sequence to each level and then played a round of one of the game modes pre-chosen for the level. Normal Attrition had none of that and just people running around.

The better mode is and remains Hardpoint where you had to travel around the map and capture points. It had the same amount of A.I soldiers running around, lots of stuff going on and it also made players focus on specific points on the map (increasing the action and lowering downtime) so it would be easier to find each other while the sides were more used to try and sneak by the enemy and capture points behind them. It remains as the most fun mode because of its objective focus, killing enemy pilots was important but working as a team to hold the map points was just as important. I wrote a pretty long post a few months ago about this with in mind the general map design of Titanfall.

Not really seeing huge bonus of flying Titan unless it can get on top of actual terrain. It just is going to make you a giant easy to hit target by floating around like that up in the air, and with how low much of the terrain is.... your suddenly visible to everyone

LowSignal

Well some of the titans look cool but this isn't what I wanted exactly. This will probably be a game where like the first where it becomes a lot better months after. People forget titanfall had a lot of issues at launch as well.

Top Bottom