• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legends 2 - Exploring the Worlds Dungeons

RK128

cases.jpg

This retrospective, part of the Mega Man Retrospective, took a lot longer to make then I anticipated. Between trying to get through a lot of the game and ensuring I experienced a majority of the game, I feel bad I made you all wait a good extra week then I originally promised. This is a little preface, as I will ensure this does not happen again with future Retrospectives.

Now that is out of the way, Legends 2! Following the success of Legends 1 and a spin-off game Misadventures of Tron Bonne, the studio behind Mega Man Legends returns with another 3D adventure for the Blue Bomber.

This is a great sequel that fixes a lot of the little issues many had with Legends 1. A proper lock-on feature, better controls/camera system, dungeons having unique visual designs and gimmicks and a story hoping across a wide selection of locations. Legends 2 feels like a world adventure and does this make it the better game than Legends 1?

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

The game has some history and here is what I found on Wikipedia regarding this:

"The demo, titled Rockman Dash 2 - Episode 1: Roll's Critical Moment (ロックマンDASH2 エピソード1 ロールちゃん危機一髪! Rokkuman DASH 2 Episōdo 1 Rōruchan Kiki Ippatsu?), features an independent story in which Tron has kidnapped Roll and Mega Man sets to rescue her. It was only included in the Japanese version of the game and the PlayStation Portable port of the game. The game was released for the PlayStation in April 2000 in Japan, as a regular release and another one under the label of "PlayStation the Best". It was later released in October 2000 in North America and in August 2001 in Europe] Unchanged Japanese ports of the game were also released for the PC in July 2001. In September 2005, Capcom ported the game to the PlayStation Portable but it was only published in Japan.[43] Like the preceding game, the music was composed by Makoto Tomozawa with the ending theme used in the Japanese version being Hara Fumina's "Naite Ii Yo" (泣いていいよ?, lit. "It's All Right to Cry"). In October 2009, Capcom released Capcom Special Selection Rockman Dash 2 (CAPCOM SPECIAL SELECTION ロックマンDASH2?), which is composed of a soundtrack including 17 tracks from the game and an artbook. The artbook also shows characters which were not featured in the game with all of them sharing the name of Mega Man like Mega Man Volnutt and Mega Man Juno."

So the game got a great intro demo for Japanese players and NA/EU gamers got a lengthy demo covering some early sections of the final game. When the game released in 2000, it got high scores and everyone loved it, but sales wise, it didn't like the world on fire. This lead to the Legends series hibernating for quite a while, with PSP ports of Legends 1 & 2 coming out in Japan (with the PSP version of Legends 2 fixing something I will be touching on when I get to the gameplay).

The entire Legends series would later release on North American PlayStation Network, with Legends 2 being the latest release early this month. Made an entire Topic for it on NeoGaf after all ;).

The story of the game is that Rock Volnut (Mega Man's official name in this sub-series), Roll and Data relaxing on the Flutter, while Barrel (Rock and Roll's father) is on a giant flying craft with an old partner. Both discuss plans on exploring a place called 'The Forbidden Island' with the Bonnes & Glide sneaking in on the ship as reporters.

003.jpg

The craft gets sucked into the Island, pushing Rock, Roll and Data to visit the island themselves, but they first land on as snow covered island to try and make a machine to penetrate the harsh climate of the Forbidden Island. The story gets more crazy when Rock finally lands on the Forbidden Island and accidentally frees two beings called Accents. After all of this happens, Rock is tasked to find three keys that will allow the Mother Lode to be unlocked.

004.jpg

If that sounds like a fun adventure, its because it IS one! The writing is as great as past Legends titles and the core story for the characters is quite strong. Morality comes into play to a points, with Rock's actions while not affecting the core story, effecting little things in interesting ways.

Overall, I really liked this story and the strong characters of Legends 1 come back in full force here.

The core gameplay is a major face-lift from the original Legends. Core design is the same, with Rock finding various weapon parts that Roll converts into tools he can use to explore new locations and every main area has a hub to explore. But the gameplay is where a lot changed. The lock-on works like 3D Zelda, with it allowing you to move around when attacking instead of being locked in place. In addition, the game supports full analog control allowing you to look around and have greater control on Rock's movement.

011.jpg

Really enjoy the combat now, as thanks to these improved controls, fire fights are streamlined and feel quite rewarding. If anything, I would not be surprised if Insomniac took Legends 2 to heart when designing the combat system for Ratchet & Clank 2, as the controls mirror how Ratchet works when you hold down the strafing button.

027.jpg

But, what about the dungeons? If the gameplay takes notes from 3D Zelda, so should they? Well, they DO and it leads to some interesting results. The core design of each dungeon is different, with them having unique themes, gimmicks and core design elements. The Forest Dungeon for example focuses on Rock climbing up to a higher floor and repeatedly taking on another Digger.

027.jpg

......Then we get to the water dungeon. I hate this. I hate this. I HATE this place. You want to know why? Because it takes forever to get anywhere. This place is the reason this retrospective too so long to write, because I spent five hours backtracking to get the drill arm, grinding zenny and getting lost for a good three hours trying to find the second water key. The design is fine, with a lot of floors to explore and its nice it has a lot of hidden goodies to find if you explore but when you are underwater, Rock moves like a tank and is really slow. And when the game asks you to do some platforming? Good luck with that.

025.jpg

I'm making it sound like its the worst thing in the world, but it really isn't. If you take your time and come prepared, it should only take 2 hours at most to get through everything here. But it is a major flaw to Legends 2. Thankfully, the JP PSP remake of Legends 2 fixed this by making Rock faster when underwater, so it takes less time to get through the place.

The other dungeons are a lot better and the final one in particular is a lot of fun. Overall, outside of one sour dungeon, the rest are a lot of fun.

014.jpg

The game also introduces a lot of 'prologue' portions before you complete dungeons, with you either helping a town, saving some brothers sister from a pirate, and defending a flying base from being destroyed. It makes this world quite huge and makes the game feel longer, and that is always a good thing if done well.

004.jpg

The presentation here is a big step up from Legends 1, and that game looked great on the PlayStation 1. Here, the character models are more detailed, the music is more catchy and the dungeons have striking designs. Not to mention the cut-scenes got a big step up too, with better animation, more movement and them feeling 'grander'.

011.jpg

The music is something I want to highlight too, as I really like a lot of the tracks in the game.

Flutter Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_c2-kARr4&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA&index=1
Abandon Mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBZ7pH0VvU&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA&index=4
Tron's Jagd Krabbe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXkr7JVv8s&index=5&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA
Flutter on Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhkG4mz_kDY&index=6&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA
Saul Kial Ruins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-bhaEs_tCY&index=13&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA
Tiesel's Blitzkrieg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAhilrZ0tUY&index=15&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA
Reaverbot Boss - Wolfon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsf0gEyahBA&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA&index=16
Glyde's Base - Area 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH9R9VPw5F4&index=18&list=PLFuN7I79hDh0AIcuMO8efpMh8iKRZTzeA

Just want to cover one final thing before concluding; controls and difficulty settings.

Control:
Special Controls - PlayStation 3/PlayStation TV/Vita TV
Analog Stick - Walking/Running
Right Stick - Strafe Left/Right
X - Jump (Left/Right + X = Dodge Roll)
[] - Shoot
Triangle - Special Weapon
O - Interact/Pick Up
R2 - Lock-On

Special Controls - PlayStation Vita
Rear Touch Pad (Top Right) - Lock-On
Right Stick - Strafe Left/Right
[] - Shoot
/\ - Special Weapon
O - Interact/Pick Up

Special Controls - PlayStation Portable
L & R - Strafe Left & Right
D-Pad - Moving around
Analog Stick (Different Directions) Lock-On
[] - Shoot
/\ - Special Weapon
O - Interact/Pick Up

Difficulty: You can complete a diggers test later in the game and you have two classes to unlock; A and S. Both unlock access to one of two extra dungeons to complete, which house items that can be converted into powerful weapons. But the game gets harder, with A being 'Hard' and S being 'Super Hard'. If you do NOT want your game getting more challenging, ignore this or make a new save to try the difficulty out.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with Legends 2. It is a great Zelda-like experience and its clear that the team making the Legends games got better from what they learned with Legends 1. Rock may be on the moon, but he got new life from newer generations playing the Legends series thanks to their North American PlayStation Network releases, like myself. I never played the Legends series before until recently, so I have the PSN releases to thank for me covering Legends in this Mega Man Retrospective!

Lets keep on exploring and one day, we will get Rock off the Moon.....

043.jpg

RK128

Sorry this took long, but the Legends 2 Retrospective is up! Hope you all enjoy my thoughts on Legends 2 :).

Awesome thread :) Legends 2 is still one of the few Mega Man games I own that I've not played through - originally because I was waiting for Legends 3 and once that was cancelled I just put it on the back burner for the while... I'm slowly playing through all of Capcom's back catalogue at the moment so I'll get round to Legends 2 eventually...

Also, in regards to other games your covering RK128 - are you considering covering any fan made releases? There is a 2D fan made version of the Legends 3 prototype/demo game for the PC that is ok, its worth a try... it got a limited physical release as well that I ended up picking up:

Its a soundtrack CD that also includes the game on the CD. I mainly picked it up for my collection, and because I really liked the cover!

RK128

Awesome thread :) Legends 2 is still one of the few Mega Man games I own that I've not played through - originally because I was waiting for Legends 3 and once that was cancelled I just put it on the back burner for the while... I'm slowly playing through all of Capcom's back catalogue at the moment so I'll get round to Legends 2 eventually...

Also, in regards to other games your covering RK128 - are you considering covering any fan made releases? There is a 2D fan made version of the Legends 3 prototype/demo game for the PC that is ok, its worth a try... it got a limited physical release as well that I ended up picking up:

Its a soundtrack CD that also includes the game on the CD. I mainly picked it up for my collection, and because I really liked the cover!

Heard about the fan-made Legends 3 game and like the Sonic Retrospective, I plan on having threads dedicated to fan works and scrapped projects for the IP.

Glad you enjoyed the retrospective :). Honestly took a while to make XD!

RK128

It was a treat making this thread :).

Thank you all for making these retrospectives so much fun to make and I hope you enjoy the Mega Man 2, Mega Man X2 and Mega Man Battle Network threads coming this week!

Voror

I've owned a PS1 copy for years I got from a friend but never played it. I like the idea of playing it on my vita so I'll probably try that.

Shame we never got these PSP versions with all the improvements.

Never heard of the term z-buffering.........can you explain that? Might be able to answer if you explain :).

The lack of z-buffering is why all PS1 games have jittery 3D graphics when you move the camera, or the polygons themselves animate or move.

Sometimes ports of PS1 games to other platforms like Dreamcast also still have the jittery graphics, like Dino Crisis I think.

Most of the time when the game is on a different platform the polygon jitteriness or warbling is not there though on the non-PS version, like say the FF games on PC.

RK128

The lack of z-buffering is why all PS1 games have jittery 3D graphics when you move the camera, or the polygons themselves animate or move.

Sometimes ports of PS1 games to other platforms like Dreamcast also still have the jittery graphics, like Dino Crisis I think.

Most of the time when the game is on a different platform the polygon jitteriness or warbling is not there though on the non-PS version, like say the FF games on PC.

Ah, okay. Mega Man Legends 1 has this sometimes but Legends 2 seems to not have that problem.

Never heard of the term z-buffering.........can you explain that? Might be able to answer if you explain :).

The color buffer is where the game keeps the picture/frame before it's finished. The Z-buffer is a parallel data structure which says how "deep" corresponding pixel is supposed to be, so that when another pixel from another triangle comes to the same place, graphics chip knows which one to keep. PS1 didn't use it to save costs, instead game had to push its triangles back-to-front. But it wasn't always easy nor possible.

You know what I loved about the water dungeon? Getting hit and it feeling like it took a fucking year for you to get back up.

Otherwise great read. This game is easily my favorite of all the mega games. Absolutely loved the dungeon atmosphere because it felt so scary in them combined with the fantastic music.

RK128

You know what I loved about the water dungeon? Getting hit and it feeling like it took a fucking year for you to get back up.

Otherwise great read. This game is easily my favorite of all the mega games. Absolutely loved the dungeon atmosphere because it felt so scary in them combined with the fantastic music.

Loved the music in the game too, such a great soundtrack :). Love the Flutter's theme, so peaceful and relaxing.

RK128

I've owned a PS1 copy for years I got from a friend but never played it. I like the idea of playing it on my vita so I'll probably try that.

Legends 1 has a few issues on Vita (slowdown + lip syncing issues) but Legends 2 runs perfect on Vita. Give it a go if you want portable Zelda-like fun :D.

Although aspects of the PSP ports were improvements, controls are a pretty huge step back because of the console its on.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
"When the game released in 2000, it got high scores and everyone loved it, but sales wise, it didn't like the world on fire."

Probably would've helped if Capcom hadn't launched the U.S. version on the same day the PlayStation debuted.

RK128

"When the game released in 2000, it got high scores and everyone loved it, but sales wise, it didn't like the world on fire."

Probably would've helped if Capcom hadn't launched the U.S. version on the same day the PlayStation debuted.

Wait a second......they launched Legends 2 on the same day the PS2 launched O_O

Holy shit. 2 days before the PS2 debuted (North American release).

I wonder what would have happened if Capcom moved the franchise to the PS2, since they surely had PS2 development kits at the time.

OKeijiDragon

Neo Member
Ah, Legends 2. And that cliffhanger.

Not to derail the topic, but it's indirectly related because I just started playing Dead Rising recently. You know, given that Dead Rising 1 was mostly built from the same cloth that was used to sew L2 (if that makes sense), I've seen many parallels of that game to this. Lifting people and stuff and throwing them in the same fashion as L2, a pellet-style life bar similar to L1, camera controls from L2, that evil eye religious cult symbol from L1, and many more little stuff like that. Even more relevating to me was how similar it was to direct survivors to a pinpointed mark like you would as Tron shooting a beacon to direct Servbots to a pinpointed target in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. And just like armed Servbots would attack, aimed survivors in DR would behave the same and and even the controls layout were the same thing. THAT blew my mind. Not including the Servbot cameos seen throughout that franchise, and the fact that certain folks made the MT framework used to power that game with Legends 3 in mind. All these facts were enough to trick me into thinking DR was a MML2.1 of sorts. I'm not saying that was their intention... but I wouldn't be surprised.

If you guys are into the game, you should play the English debug ROM. Being an WIP localization of the English version, there's tons of debug stuff you can manipulate, like repositioning the camera during gameplay and cutscenes, a level select, a scenario flag switcher that changes events and turns on and off scenes, etc. Tons of fun it was.

PSD3D035_zps4dea2c26.jpg
PSD3D055_zps2a96beae.jpg
PSD3D064_zps829c8d14.jpg
PSD3D037_zpsf873b6a1.jpg

RK128

If you guys are into the game, you should play the English debug ROM. Being an WIP localization of the English version, there's tons of debug stuff you can manipulate, like repositioning the camera during gameplay and cutscenes, a level select, a scenario flag switcher that changes events and turns on and off scenes, etc. Tons of fun it was.

PSD3D035_zps4dea2c26.jpg
PSD3D055_zps2a96beae.jpg
PSD3D064_zps829c8d14.jpg
PSD3D037_zpsf873b6a1.jpg

First off, awesome avatar ;).

Secondly, never knew about that stuff you linked too......will give it a look later :). Thank you for sharing man :D!

Top Bottom