• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection 2 |OT| For heaven's sake, please don't mention the Switch!

Arby's is getting in on the fun too.
20664918_10155710681151812_833483543615533690_n.jpg

Wait, you have to beat Mega Man 10 to play as Bass? That's lame. I bought it on Wii, bought the DLC, and played as Bass right away. What's this about a cheat code?

Opa-Pa

Man, none of the stores in my country is getting the physical version today for some reason... I'm tempted to get it digital but I know I'll get it physical too as soon as I see it :( I'm so jealous of everyone.

MMAC = Atomic Planet

MMXC = OeRSTED

That's why. OeRSTED also worked on the PS1 ports of the NES Mega Man games.

They're not as well known but Gotch Technology is also very competent. They mostly work with Namco Bandai now but they did J Legend Retsuden on 3DS, the Arcade Game Series on PS4/XOne/Windows and the various Namco Museums on PSP, PS3, Wii, 360 and Switch. They also used to be known as Rutubo games, who did a bunch of old arcade conversions for Sega on 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast.

Ah, never heaed of Gotch, but Rutubo does ring some bells, I'll have to check them out.

Also, I had no idea the complete works versions were handled by the same people as the X Collection. Makes sense in retrospect! They did a great job.

Great OT. Pretty great collection but slight shame we didn't get Megaman and Bass in it as it felt like it suits the theme of the collection sort of. That being said at $30 it's a pretty great deal for the bundle containing all titles.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
IGN - 6.0

IGN put up their review. No negative points regarding performance but a few complaints listed below.

-Only 4 games
-The games are hard and not enough features for modern audiences (although you can save a certain areas throughout the levels)
-Lack of save anywhere feature
-8,9,10 are good but 7 is too slow an clunky and the charge shot takes awhile.

I'm just glad there doesn't seem to be much performance issues that's the main issue as long as it runs good then all is good.

Did the review not mention the new Super Armor option? Newcomers can turn on half-damage in game options. Should be a large enough boon to carry anyone through.

The checkpoints I think is a fine compromise between maintaining some punishment(essentially removing stage restart but requiring section completion) without resorting to save scumming. Also, you can overwrite checkpoint saves once you obtain some tricky collectibles(E-tanks and RUSH items) so you need not repeat the same steps with each reload. I just don't see the issue really? Have not read the full review but what did the editor want?

MM7 does take a bit too long for the charge shot(which in itself is relatively weak and only acts as 2-hits aside from the extra vertical coverage). I found much of the game relying on standard buster and other weapons moreso. A good thing really. MM shouldn't be just about charged shots. (I will sympathize that bonus games like MM&Bass, the arcade games, or something else would have rounded out the package better, but these are still 4 solid games)

I get the suspicion I won't agree much with this review...

StarPhlox

Arby's is getting in on the fun too.
20664918_10155710681151812_833483543615533690_n.jpg

Wait, you have to beat Mega Man 10 to play as Bass? That's lame. I bought it on Wii, bought the DLC, and played as Bass right away. What's this about a cheat code?

I think Arby's is doing a great job making fun of the conspicuous lack of MM&B in this collection. Bad omission but I'll live. Love 7-10.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
From Facebook Mega Man page....enter the following code on either the MM9 or MM10 title screen to unlock the extra content (DLC):

up, down, left, right, left, right, down, up, up, down

Youll hear a chime if it worked

I love MM8 no matter what the internet says. It's one of my childhood games and I will forever love it.

Does this game appear to suffer from all the technical gaffes that the PS4 MMLC 1 had?
Not at all. MM9 and 10 feel stupidly smooth to play. Both 8 and 7 feel heavier, but they also did when they came out.

Is the emulation going to be as shitty as the first collection?

Why should I even ask, its digital eclipse.
You should ask because this one was developed by Capcom itself.

Well no I just assumed it would be as they are a cheap studio and Capcom sucks now

What a phenomenally positive, reasonable attitude you have.

As many in this thread have said (and as I said in my own MMLC 2 review), Capcom's internal staff - not Digital Eclipse - made MMLC 2 and the emulation is excellent across the board.

It's not as if Digital Eclipse did a horrible job with MMLC 1, either (other than that weird 3DS version bug that makes Mega Man 5 almost unplayable but doesn't affect Rockman 5). There are some minor emulation issues, yes, but those are still far and away the best versions of MM 1-6 since the original cartridges (and perhaps their Wii Virtual Console releases).

Brannon

Rarely is the question asked, but is there input lag?

(I may be being a bet repetitive but damn it I'm not gonna relent on this)

btrboyev

As many in this thread have said (and as I said in my own MMLC 2 review), Capcom's internal staff - not Digital Eclipse - made MMLC 2 and the emulation is excellent across the board.

It's not as if Digital Eclipse did a horrible job with MMLC 1, either (other than that weird 3DS version bug that makes Mega Man 5 almost unplayable but doesn't affect Rockman 5). There are some minor emulation issues, yes, but those are still far and away the best versions of MM 1-6 since the original cartridges (and perhaps their Wii Virtual Console releases).

They didn't do a horrible job? I was playing it the other day and mega man one had all types of weird music issues. It would cut out or slow down.

robotrock

Banned
MMLC1 looks like it's in 4:3. MMLC2 (can't tell if that's MM9 or 10) looks like it's in the NES aspect ratio of 8:7, which is kinda interesting considering it was built for Wii/360/PS3.
I set the game to the "full" which stretches the game fully out to 16:9, then set my TV to squeeze that down to 4:3. Looks more how I like it.

Wish the game just had a 4:3 option

Miker

Is this something worth going crazy about or am I alone in this

Nah, not really. I don't have MMLC1 and I've played MMLC2 for all of 5 minutes so I can't make any comparisons w/ regards to aspect ratio and square pixels and whatever. I know some people prefer 4:3 as developers targeted it, even if it doesn't mean square pixels.

KingBroly

Banned

Play the PC version of MMLC 1 and you'd change your tune, I think. Disney Afternoon Collection has the same issues, too

Tizoc

My lappy is acting up, as for some odd reason it keeps giving me slowdown when I play the games. Maybe it's a Borderless Fullscreen issue?

At any rate
FUCK YOU FROST MAN STAGE
FUCK WHOEVER DESIGNED THESE DAMNED HOVERBOARD SECTIONS
MAY YOU JUMP-U JUMP-U, SLIDE-U SLIDE-U IN HELL FOREVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Opa-Pa

If I hadn't triple dipped on MMLC, going by fan reactions I'd assume it's unplayable garbage lol. I guess the PC version must be awful because the games are 99% perfect in both PS4 and 3DS (the latter having MM5 unplayable but running perfectly in the japanese version).

Digital Eclipse did a great job with both MMLC and the Disney AC, and the hate they get due to misinformation is embarrassing.

I love MM8 no matter what the internet says. It's one of my childhood games and I will forever love it.

It's a legitimately great game, just different. I'm honestly surprised it's so disliked while stuff like 7 and Bass have their fans.

Can't wait to play it in this without loading times!

ArjanN

If I hadn't triple dipped on MMLC, going by fan reactions I'd assume it's unplayable garbage lol. I guess the PC version must be awful because the games are 99% perfect in both PS4 and 3DS (the latter having MM5 unplayable but running perfectly in the japanese version). !

The PC version is no worse than the console ones after they patched it.

Tizoc

Real talk the first actual Megaman game I played was 8 and it's one of my fav. games too.
I get some of the critiques about it, but overall I still really enjoy it, FrostMan stage aside :p

They didn't do a horrible job? I was playing it the other day and mega man one had all types of weird music issues. It would cut out or slow down.

Play the PC version of MMLC 1 and you'd change your tune, I think. Disney Afternoon Collection has the same issues, too

Ah, if we're talking about the PC version that's a whole different story. I'm strictly a console gamer, so I'm only talking about the PS4 and 3DS versions of MMLC 1. If the PC version is actually that much worse, that's a damn shame and I certainly won't argue for a version I haven't played. Sucks to hear. :(

Tizoc

EDIT: Why Dr. Wight's eng. va uses an Elemer Fudd voice for Dr. Wight will remain a mystery for the ages.

Galamauth

I'd like to see a version of Mega Man 8 that completely eliminates these mid-stage loading screens, although I'm not sure how reasonable of a request that actually is.
There is technically a version without loading screens out there. Google Rockman 8FC.

Top Bottom