• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Beth Cyra

Mpl90 said:
It's too absurd that MML3 gets canned while Nazo Waku Yakatu, always for 3DS, and a very very very VERY niche game, not only gets greenlit, but it will be out in Japan in 2 weeks.
Yeah, the game with 3D sound doesn't have to suffer to be greenlit, while MEGAMAN dies.
It's Capcom losing faith in Megaman, not in 3DS, guys.
Well as pointed out earlier when sales numbers got posted I can't really blame them.

Rock continues to sale less and less.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dear Capcom,

I have always been a faithful supporter of yours. Most of my favorite franchises, from Ace Attorney to Resident Evil to Castlevania sport a Capcom brand.
That said, fuck you. I'm seriously disappointed at how probably my favorite third party publisher has been turning into probably my least favorite in the last couple of years.

Kind regards,

J.

I can't hate Capcom too much as I'm looking forward to their 3DS 'Sound' game (which better get a Euro release!!) but they have been damn bizarre recently:

-Involving the community in a much wanted game that they cancel

-Dropping Leon from RE: Mercs and giving him his own shitty unwanted spin-off

-The whole 'no save delete' thing

-No HD Monster Hunter on PS3, but they port it to iOS and then up-port the PSP version to PS3 instead

Odd stuff. At least we got Ghost Trick <3

Eusis said:
It sounds like Inafune helped get through some of Capcom's more successful games in the last several years. Maybe if they have a heavy slump they'll realize he was on to something and re-evaluate their overall approach?
He doesn't bat a thousand, though.

We're still seeing his "legacy" in games like DmC and Raccoon City. He along with Kawata made the decision to push for lightgun Resident Evil games on the Wii to fit the casual audience. He pushed for a greater relationship with studios like GRIN without oversight to allow things like Bionic Commando Reboot. There are somewhat apocryphal rumors that he insisted on Spyborgs being greenlit instead of a sequel to Zack & Wiki.

tim.mbp

Mpl90 said:
It's too absurd that MML3 gets canned while Nazo Waku Yakatu, always for 3DS, and a very very very VERY niche game, not only gets greenlit, but it will be out in Japan in 2 weeks.
Yeah, the game with 3D sound doesn't have to suffer to be greenlit, while MEGAMAN dies.
It's Capcom losing faith in Megaman, not in 3DS, guys.

I'd rather have NWY then MML3.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
-No HD Monster Hunter on PS3, but they port it to iOS and then up-port the PSP version to PS3 instead

Monster Hunter has always been a mid-budget title production-wise. They'll keep pumping out entries that are cheaper to make because they sell well enough to generate a pretty hefty profit. They will eventually make an HD entry, but not if they don't have to. At least that's how I think it works.

Tizoc said:
Well they did change the DRM for SSF4 PC...you never know.
Personally I think that was their plan, release the game with shitty offline saving not working then patch it, means if you download a pirate copy and can't patch it you are stuffed. Just that it effects legit users in the process.

This was a 3DS game....?

Maybe Capcom took at look at what was needed to improve / finish the game, and a look at where the 3DS market is headed and decided it would not be able to recoup any additional costs?

Seems like a perfectly rational decision as the 3DS has hardly set the world alight so far.

Wonder whatever happened to the MT framework version...?

Dammit, this was one of the reasons I got a 3DS; one of the few third party games I was truly excited about. I think most people saw the writing on the wall, but some of us are still in denial. I'm glad they didn't do the prototype thing in that case though. I could imagine the uproar if people paid for a beta sampling and then the game got cancelled.

wrowa

Don't announce games that aren't greenlit yet. It's that easy. Playing with the fanbase, even involve them in more-or-less crucial design decisions, even though the game isn't greenlit yet, isn't great involvement of the fanbase or anything similar. It's nothing else than horrible, terrible, utterly bad management.

tl;dr: Fuck you, Capcom.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The biggest bullet point on my future 3DS purchase :(

Oh well, saves me money in the long run! I wasn't really liking the direction it was taking and all the fan interference on character designs and gumpf.

zlatko

Banned
LMAO so hard right now. I ain't even mad. Capcom is riding fighting games and Monster Hunter into the sunset until they crash and burn.

This is a HUGE shame, because this is one of the games that would help tip me towards getting a 3DS, and without it it'll take other titles to help make me want to take the plunge since right now that thing looks just like a machine to replay Ocarina of Time and then use it as a paperweight.

I just hope we get a Capcom vs SNK 2 online edition before the company goes into a further spiral of shit. Capcom and SquareEnix... how the mighty keep falling.

NinjaFusion said:
This was a 3DS game....?

Maybe Capcom took at look at what was needed to improve / finish the game, and a look at where the 3DS market is headed and decided it would not be able to recoup any additional costs?

Seems like a perfectly rational decision as the 3DS has hardly set the world alight so far.

Not really, the rational decision would be to indefinitely delay it, reevaluating the market conditions later on, not just outright axing it.

Plus the game could reasonably be salvaged for Wii, PSP, possibly Vita, XBLA or PSN release. Throwing all the work and planning already done out the window doesn't seem rational at all.

Murkas

Only care about Monster Hunter at this point now. Hurry up and announce the next iteration.

And fuck that up aswell :(

Xater

Man fuck this!

I remember when I was looking forward to so many Capcom games earlier this gen. Now there is almost nothing left. SFxTK looks cool and so das RE: Revelations. Everything else just seems meh. Then they also don't seem to have any intention of bringing any version of MHP3rd over and that gives me no hope for the future of this franchise. Oh and Sengoku Basara is also dead int he west.

Grokbu

This is rather sad. :(
While I've never played a Legends game (though I'm intending to do it), I was pretty hyped for this.

GhaleonQ said:
Count me among those who never got the "Capgod" talk of this generation. Boo.

Ditto. They have had some really great gems, like Dead Rising, Monster Hunter, and Street Fighter IV (although it took years to get the extra characters for PC), but the number of fuck ups they've had has been even higher.

Wonder where the Mega Man franchise goes from here - Legends 3 and Universe have been cancelled back to back. I don't really want a Mega Man 11 or Battle Network game. The franchise seems to be stuck in limbo.

So now that I think, they pull this just before the comic con, they think most of the people will forget about MML3 when they announce SMvsC3 or other stuff?.

Just goes to show that Capcom thinks that fans are just about as useful as cheap hookers. They share some pleasure first, but then the hooker starts getting milked and ravaged by the other very quickly while getting all of these big promises of a life together, and then just gets dumped. Worst news of the week.

EDIT: This worse than getting no AAI2. Seriously. what is Capcom doing?

I now have no reason to buy a Wii U, Vita, or 3DS yet. I'll end up buying a 360 in 2012, if anything. The only thing I want so far is AAXLayton, and that has a chance of getting screwed, unless Nintendo publishes that too. Wii U hasn't proven much to me yet, and while Vita seems pretty interesting, I need to see more of that too.

Speaking of the crossover game, I wonder how many fans will be upset when Phoenix gets his new dub? Lol.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
LMAO! Good riddance! Give me the original series or the X series or give me a new series that stays true to those roots or let Megaman die.

Sipowicz

Banned
unsurprising. the failure of the 3DS guaranteed it. and even if the NGP can somehow triumph despite sony's wave of shitty software it would be a poor fit

RIP

Kulock said:
Not really, the rational decision would be to indefinitely delay it, reevaluating the market conditions later on, not just outright axing it.

Plus the game could reasonably be salvaged for Wii, PSP, possibly Vita, XBLA or PSN release. Throwing all the work and planning already done out the window doesn't seem rational at all.

But this sort of stuff happens all the time. Just this time gamers and fans were made aware of the experiment.

Kurtofan

Sipowicz said:
unsurprising. the failure of the 3DS guaranteed it. and even if the NGP can somehow triumph despite sony's wave of shitty software it would be a poor fit

RIP
Failure is a big word.

wrowa

boris feinbrand said:
But this sort of stuff happens all the time. Just this time gamers and fans were made aware of the experiment.
That's not an excuse in Capcom's favor. Far from it. There is a good reason why publishers don't make gamers aware of games that aren't in production yet -- but Capcom did not only announce a game/prototype that hasn't been approved yet, it also tried to involve the community in the development of the game.

It's absurd.

Sipowicz said:

RIP
It's like nobody on this forum can remember when the original DS had a slow launch and was without a Mario Kart and a new Mario game. And when both those games went on to be 20M+ sellers.

BY2K

Membero Americo
To Far Away Times said:
It's like nobody on this forum can remember when the original DS launched without a Mario Kart and a new Mario game. And when both those games went on to be 20M+ sellers.

And before the end of the year, we have:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Kart 3DS
Super Mario
Star Fox 64 3D

I'm not even a fan and I'm pissed. I was happy this was being made because it was clear a lot of people wanted it and cared. I know there are a lot of extra factors but in hindsight it feels like another case of jerking people around. I wonder if there will be any fallout.

Lately Capcom have been really bad with fans of their games. I have to echo a previous poster and say I went from loving Capcom to resenting them completely in about a year's time.

I agree with -PXG-

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BY2K said:

Mario Kart 3DS
Super Mario
Star Fox 64 3D
Kid Icarus and Star Fox won't be hits.
The other too will do well of course.

[Nintex]

BY2K said:

Mario Kart 3DS
Super Mario
Star Fox 64 3D
These two won't move systems, Super Mario 3D dissapointed me, felt like "my first Mario" and not really something as awesome as Galaxy or as challenging as New Super Mario Bros. Wii it was piss easy to say the least. Mario Kart 3DS, now that is sweet. Also, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is the weakest port since that Sonic 1 GBA version that everyone hates(yes that one) and I'm not even joking.

Gravijah

[Nintex] said:
These two won't move systems, Super Mario 3D dissapointed me, felt like "my first Mario" and not really something as awesome as Galaxy or as challenging as New Super Mario Bros. Wii it was piss easy to say the least. Mario Kart 3DS, now that is sweet. Also, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is the weakest port since that Sonic 1 GBA version that everyone hates(yes that one) and I'm not even joking.

NSMBW isn't really that challenging, IMO. Though I haven't played Super Mario 3D which could be 5X easier.

[Nintex]

Gravijah said:
NSMBW isn't really that challenging, IMO. Though I haven't played Super Mario 3D which could be 5X easier.
I was shocked at how easy it was, seriously. In one level there were like 2 goomba's a couple of holes and that's it.

wrowa said:
That's not an excuse in Capcom's favor. Far from it. There is a good reason why publishers don't make gamers aware of games that aren't in production yet -- but Capcom did not only announce a game/prototype that hasn't been approved yet, it also tried to involve the community in the development of the game.

It's absurd.

Hey I know that, and I would be the last to make excuses for Capcom. This really highlights what Capcom thinks of its fanbase. As if the constant roster updates and countless yearly iterations of their games weren't proof enough, this is just a big middle finger to fans. If they cared even a little bit, they would've axed the open style presentation of the team.

I personally weren't waiting for the game. It looked pretty dull if you ask me, just like the original Legend games, but I recognize that the fanbase was really enthusiastic about it. It's like if Retro were showing Prime 4 on Wii U only to be shot down by Nintendo, or even worse being replaced by Other M 2... shudders.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ask yourself what games are coming out for the 3DS next year from 3rd parties.

Here's a list: RE: Revelations, Layton VS Ace Attorney, FF Theatrhythm (assuming that's next year), Beyond the Labyrinth, Time Travellers, Fantasy Life (assuming this gets pushed back), Heroes of Ruin, Mario & Sonic 3 and maybe Kingdom Hearts 3D (If we're lucky!).

You're missing quite a bit I believe: Rune Factory 4, new harvest moon, etc.... I'll look up the rest when I get home tonight

Also check out this
2ppf1uc.jpg

can't confirm if real

Top Bottom