• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Takao said:
X Sales get worse because they overcomplicate that shit with each instalment.
As soon as they made zero playable he lost his appeal, that's why nobody wanted to keep buying that shit. Also hostage rescue, nightmare virus, etc.
Total mess.
And they even went back to the original X to shit it up too with the psp remake.

I would have been happy with the 2$, or even a 4$, prototype, or demo, or whatever it was. Now why did they cancel the prototype? it seems it has been in development anyway, enough for them to announce it as a 3DSWare launch title.

3DS had a good crawl.
fixed it.

Zomba13 said:
I'm not even a legends fan and this pisses me off.

Agreed.

Frankly, I was not a huge fan of the original Legends games.

But I wanted this game to come out because of all the fans the game has. I felt good when they announced the third one because suddenly, all these fans who had been clamoring for a sequel for so many years were all excited and joyous.

It felt good. It was a feel-good story...until this sad, sad ending.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Agreed.

Frankly, I was not a huge fan of the original Legends games.

But I wanted this game to come out because of all the fans the game has. I felt good when they announced the third one because suddenly, all these fans who had been clamoring for a sequel for so many years were all excited and joyous.

It felt good. It was a feel-good story...until this sad, sad ending.

I wasn't either, but the game looked cute, and it was going to be a 2$ ware, so I would have invested anyway. I am not a fan of MM in general.

walking fiend said:
I would have been happy with the 2$, or even a 4$, prototype, or demo, or whatever it was. Now why did they cancel the prototype? it seems it has been in development anyway, enough for them to announce it as a 3DSWare launch title.

fixed it.
It really amazes me that people would actually pay for a demo.
Come on people don´t give new idea to publishers so they can screw us.

wrowa said:
And you expect DmC to sell well?
The studio behind it hasn't developed a single successful game yet, most of the fans hate everything shown so far, and apart of the fanbase no one seems to care about the game at all.

Great signs!

I would reckon DMC series has sold/sells more than MM series.

Buzzati

Banned
I'm not too knowledgeable about the industry, but can't they lower the dev cost until the game is financially worthwhile? If this is a preview of what's to come in the industry, I rather opt out before it all turns monochrome.

Gravijah

Buzzati said:
I'm not too knowledgeable about the industry, but can't they lower the dev cost until the game is financially worthwhile? If this is a preview of what's to come in the industry, I rather opt out before it all turns monochrome.

Maybe they did lower the dev costs until the game was financially worthwhile.

:(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The whole "not officially" greenlit thing was very weird.

How many other projects that are not greenlit are shown off to the public to this degree?
Including all the community involvement and even promises of playable 'alphas'.

It was the ultimate troll.

I really hope more japanese devs shifts focus from the nintendo handhelds to vita.

The ds was really bad for the japanese games industry and it was holding the japanese industry back. Both technically but much more importantly it really shut the rest of the world of. Ds games had very limited opportunity in the west.

Dedicated handheld gaming is really small here(70% of all retail softare are console, rest is shared by handhelds/smartphones). Its mostly younger children who play handhelds. More so now than ever due to the smartphones.

With vita they can at least port games to ps360. Which will help the japanese industry tremendously.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Shadow of the BEAST said:
I really hope more japanese devs shifts focus from the nintendo handhelds to vita.

The ds was really bad for the japanese games industry and it was holding the japanese industry back. Both technically but much more importantly it really shut the rest of the world of. Ds games had very limited opportunity in the west.

Dedicated handheld gaming is really small here(70% of all retail softare are console, rest is shared by handhelds/smartphones). Its mostly younger children who play handhelds. More so now than ever due to the smartphones.

With vita they can at least port games to ps360. Which will help the japanese industry tremendously.

Wait what

Beam said:
It really amazes me that people would actually pay for a demo.
Come on people don´t give new idea to publishers so they can screw us.
It would all be content exclusive to it if it had been like 2‘s demo though.

ikickurface

Neo Member
2m5fku1.jpg

Very timely entry. The people at Capcom are the real Cyberbullies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Well, at least I don't need to expect a MML3 announcement ever again when Capcom teases something.

[Nintex]

In this sea of bullshit the most out of touch sentence is easily 'help the japanese industry' nothing but Kutaragi and a blank check can help them at this point. Square Enix, Capcom et all are sinking so fast they don't even have time to get to the lifeboats.

storafötter said:
That reminds me, I hope at least Inti Creates are working on another Mega Man game despite this outcome.

That would be great. But hopefully without Inafune, they still know how to make them the right way.

storafötter said:
That reminds me, I hope at least Inti Creates are working on another Mega Man game despite this outcome.
Maybe they can make a MM clone if Capcom doesn't want to make more games in the series.

[Nintex]

storafötter said:
Weren't they working on some more how should I put it... 'obscure adult games.'

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it's such a shame so many Japanese developers put out games on what will soon be the highest selling system of all time. Wait, what?

Wizpig

[Nintex] said:
Weren't they working on some more how should I put it... 'obscure adult games.'
Wait what. umm, obscure adult like that or... like THAT? you know, THAT?
Shadow of the Junior Member said:
Rotfl

Not sure I get the MM9 and 10 hate in here (sheepmen lol it works on 2 levels), but the fact is Inti has made 6 good MM games and I'd play another if they made one.

Honestly, Capcom's milking of this franchise was bad enough for so long that I never touched anything after 6 and X1 came out. I can't say I'm a Legends fan because I never played them, but this was something I was genuinely looking forward to giving a chance.

Frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in Capcom to accomplish much anymore though, so it may be just as well for it to be canned rather than come out and be the source of 150 page nerdrage threads over here.

I can already imagine threads like "MML3 |OT3| Or how to ruin the only series you haven't milked" or "ROLL TRANSFORMS INTO VOLNUTT'S HAT WUT COME ON CRAPCOM".

Wizpig

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in Capcom to accomplish much anymore though, so it may be just as well for it to be canned rather than come out and be the source of 150 page nerdrage threads over here.

I can already imagine threads like "MML3 |OT3| Or how to ruin the only series you haven't milked" or "ROLL TRANSFORMS INTO VOLNUTT'S HAT WUT COME ON CRAPCOM".
Not true at all, when GAF doesn't like a game you can ignore a thread.

A mediocre MML3 would still be "the" MML3, and the first two games are not exactly game design masterpieces in the first place if i understand correctly, so the whole Capcom quote "CANCELLING THIS BECAUSE IT'S SHITTY QUALITY XD" is dumb.

The project was at, like, 30% of completion? jeez, thank you very much Capcom, of course it wasn't great.
With a little more budget and time of course the game was going to be at least acceptable (and better than STAR FORCE).

But nope.

As for MM9 and MM10: no reason to hate them, fucking awesome games, gotta love them.
The problem here is that maybe Capcom would like to pull a "NES Mega Man" every year; who the fuck are they, Activision? i wanted MM Universe, i wanted MML 3, i wanted retail Mega Man games.

Nah, Dead Rising 2 Off the Whatever is better.

dallow_bg said:
The whole "not officially" greenlit thing was very weird.

How many other projects that are not greenlit are shown off to the public to this degree?
Including all the community involvement and even promises of playable 'alphas'.

It was the ultimate troll.
Basically just the Inafune games, right? Inafune probably didn't expect to get kicked out/asked to leave before those games were done, though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lance Bone Path said:
Basically just the Inafune games, right? Inafune probably didn't expect to get kicked out/asked to leave before those games were done, though.
I didn't see that kind of information about Dead Rising and Lost Planet got greenlit.

Wizpig said:
Not true at all, when GAF doesn't like a game you can ignore a thread.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying potential GAFrage was somehow a justification for a game to not be released (although many here often present it as a reason a game should be released), I just meant it as a sort of barometer of non-review-site-shill opinion. And of course as you mention:
Wizpig said:
A mediocre MML3 would still be "the" MML3...
With a little more budget and time of course the game was going to be at least acceptable (and better than STAR FORCE).
You certainly got me there. Not that it would take much.

bolt7

Banned
Huh, so I guess that gives me a total of zero games to look forward to from Capcom this year then. I'm not re-buying Dead Rising 2 again, and I'm holding off buying Marvel VS Capcom to the inevitable third edition comes out. What a damn shame. Capcom has gone massively downhill this generation in my opinion.

Wizpig

Takao said:
Not Safe For Anyone But Icecream warning: Gal Gun for Xbox 360.
Oh, that; i played the demo! what a masterp... i mean shitty game. :p
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying potential GAFrage was somehow a justification for a game to not be released (although many here often present it as a reason a game should be released), I just meant it as a sort of barometer of non-review-site-shill opinion. And of course as you mention:

You certainly got me there. Not that it would take much.
Ah, sure.

But i think Legends 3 would have been (sigh) well received anyway.

Btw i even kind of like Star Force, but i know it's a shitty game in itself... i still have to buy the third one, i guess i'll buy that, ZX Advent and the Zero Collection... because, you know, those will be the last Mega Man games ever!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This thread has been fun to read. Also, RE has had several of its side games crash and burn like Gun Survivor, Outbreak 1 and 2. I think the Wii rail shooters were only moderately successful, certainly not in the league of the main series. Mercenaries is just a full game made out of an RE mini game that been around over a decade. Not sure that it tanking really means anything. Now had it been RE6 or a CV type game, yeah I guess that would be a bad sign.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Not sure I get the MM9 and 10 hate in here (sheepmen lol it works on 2 levels), but the fact is Inti has made 6 good MM games and I'd play another if they made one.

Bitter Legends fans bashing classic Mega Man fans because they feel we only like the older games because of 'nostalgia'.

Which is funny, because you could use that same weak argument against the Legends series as well. Possibly even more so, as it looks and feels even more dated than the NES/SNES games, if you ask me.

Capcom is dead to me.

I fully expect to see a gritty Mega Man FPS from a western dev announced within a year. I also fully expect to see images of Aero being raped by the Capcom logo on 4chan within the week.

dreamahm

Banned
Yesterday i had a dream, playing Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins in 3ds with nice texture and it's 3d!!

s28977_psp_30.jpg

Foto%252BUltimate%252BGhosts%252Bn%252BGoblins.jpg

Ultimate_Ghosts_N_Goblins_5.jpg

Capcom i will sleep again forever to complete this game and to play megaman x9 and i will still dream ....... v_v

I hope one day capcom make megaman x9 & Ghosts 'N Goblins in HD or vita or 3DS.

I will complete my dream........zzzzz...z....zzz

SonicMegaDrive said:
Bitter Legends fans bashing classic Mega Man fans because they feel we only like the older games because of 'nostalgia'.

Which is funny, because you could use that same weak argument against the Legends series as well. Possibly even more so, as it looks and feels even more dated than the NES/SNES games, if you ask me.
It's amazing how well 16 bit (and 8 to a lesser extent) graphics have aged and early 3D graphics haven't (even the pre-rendered background type).

To be frank, I was one of those 2D>3D people back when people still argued about that.

3D games eventually became what I expected them to become, but honestly I can't play anything from the PS1 era on anything larger than a PSP or the blocks and jaggies make me physically ill.

Kid Ying

Takao said:
Not Safe For Anyone But Icecream warning: Gal Gun for Xbox 360.
Seriously, and i really mean it: How can someone don't think this is one of the best ideas ever? It's some crazy shit, man. Makes me wish i had a japanese xbox...

qq more

Baron Aloha said:
LMAO! Good riddance! Give me the original series or the X series or give me a new series that stays true to those roots or let Megaman die.
I love the Classic series the most but I'm gonna disagree with you there. We just got Mega Man 10, Mega Man 11 can wait later. If anything, they should just revive Mega Man Universe before making a new Classic game. Also, Mega Man X is overrated, it was a great series until X5. Did you forget how awful the series became when Inafune stopped being involved? X8 was probably the only decent one after X5.

And judging by your "stays true to its roots" comment, are you one of those people who just hates a Mega Man subseries because it's different?

Mega Man Legends is a great game, it's such a damn shame 3 is cancelled.

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
Capcom is dead to me.

I fully expect to see a gritty Mega Man FPS from a western dev announced within a year. I also fully expect to see images of Aero being raped by the Capcom logo on 4chan within the week.
A bald megaman marine with mustache and muscles.

goldenpp72

Megaman doesn't deserve this shit, megaman 1-10 are all in their own way good to great, megaman X1-5 were good to great, MMZ on the GBA was great, as were the network titles and legends titles, what a great run of series only to run it into shit now :(

wrowa

Beam said:
I would reckon DMC series has sold/sells more than MM series.
You can't base such a decision solely on the amount of sold units. DmC is a high-budget game, while MML3 is a very low budget game in comparision. DmC needs to sell way more units to break even than MML3 would need.

Delio

The Carnival of stupid is in full force lately on Gaf.

I don't believe this means ANYTHING, but I got a response from Nintendo after telling them they lost a 3DS sale due to Capcom:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your feedback regarding the recent reports of Capcom canceling Mega Man Legends. I can certainly understand your thoughts on this matter and want you to know how much we appreciate you sending them in. I also want to assure you that your comments will be added to our records for the Nintendo 3DS and made available for other departments at the company to use as they see fit.

Since this game has not yet been officially cancelled, you may want to contact Capcom directly with your feedback. To get contact information for this company, go to the following web address and click on the company name:

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/licensees_third.jsp

Sincerely,

[Nintex]

cybercircuit1 said:
I don't believe this means ANYTHING, but I got a response from Nintendo after telling them they lost a 3DS sale due to Capcom:
Nintendo has no internet, they won't get the letter till tommorow.

Well, not sure how much it will help, but I guess I better email Capcom and complain, lol.

Has a game ever been canceled and then started back up again due to fan outcry?

Top Bottom