• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Special J

Banned
i dont know why people are angry at capcom, obviously there werent enough people participating, why would capcom develop and publish to what inevitably will sell poorly.

and i loved the legends games, and beaten the tron bonne game, maybe capcom can at least release a legends collection on 3ds.

Jsunu

Banned
Special J said:
i dont know why people are angry at capcom, obviously there werent enough people participating, why would capcom develop and publish to what inevitably will sell poorly.

and i loved the legends games, and beaten the tron bonne game, maybe capcom can at least release ports of the originals on 3ds.

To be fair, the twitter post indicated that the decision to cancel was solely based on the participation of the dev room. Nowhere was this indicated to the fans this was the case and I am sure if this was onlined in the beginning many MANY more fans would've flocked to the project.

In addition, I feel like they should've at least release the prototype to at least gauge how the casual fans would've reacted to the game itself, rather than the select few who even knew the dev room existed.

I would say that it is short sighted to completely say that it would have inevitably failed.

Special J

Banned
ya but thats probably relayed words from the japanese developer so things get lost in the translation. capcom makes decisions based almost purely on fiscal reasons.

hamchan

Fail PR from Capcom Europe.

CapcomEuro Capcom Europe
Apologies again. The original comment was in relation to the interaction in the Dev rooms NOT the fans who have been nothing but supportive

Normally I just buy games and don't give a shit about stuff like the Dev Room, but if I knew the game was on the line I would have participated. Too late now I guess, stupid Capcom.

Codeblue

Special J said:

Because low Dev room participation implies poor sales? If it were based on Prototype sales then they might have a leg to stand on, as of now they don't, because the reasoning is totally nonsensical.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Special J said:
They said in the announcement video that it's okay to just sit back and watch the dev room activity and not participate.

It's okay to never make MML3 because of financial realities. Sad, but logical. It's not okay to dick around fans for a year like Capcom have. They should never have made the development of this game so public if there was even a chance it would be cancelled.

Jsunu

Banned
Special J said:
ya but thats probably relayed words from the japanese developer so things get lost in the translation. capcom makes decisions based almost purely on fiscal reasons, it was probably based on 3ds downloads

To be fair to capcom, I think this one twitter poster does not represent the entirety of Capcom and it is quite possible he is just at a communicational disconnect with the big wigs.

It was just sad to see the project end like this. Not just as a game but as a social/community concept. Here was a dev actually reaching out to the internet for opinions and even gaming assets that were to be included in the finished project. thousands of hours wasted on fan art and assets that are simply to be discarded.

Now that it had ultimately led to the cancellation, I can see more people being more guarded interms of trying this again for both the publisher and fans.

Eusis

hamchan said:
Fail PR from Capcom Europe.

Normally I just buy games and don't give a shit about stuff like the Dev Room, but if I knew the game was on the line I would have participated. Too late now I guess, stupid Capcom.
That statement doesn't really help, it was pretty clear that he must've meant people participating in the Dev Room. Which I'm still expecting isn't the only reason it failed to get properly approved since the Prototype would've been the best way to gauge interest anyway.

Forever

Banned
Can't remember the last time I bought a Capcom game. Might've been Resident Evil 5.

With prices being what they are, I think my next one might be UMvC3.

Used.

Special J said:

I expected my purchase of the Prototype to determine whether or not the game would be canned. That is what they told fans. They lied, which is why people are mad. Then they blamed fans for not participating when they had never stated that participation in the DEVROOM would be used to determine interest in the final product.

And even if they are canning this for fiscal reasons (which certainly is justifiable) they shouldn't blame the fucking fans. Also the Prototype (IIRC) was pretty much fucking done. Even if they were canning the game it would have been really nice to throw the fans a bone and release the Prototype. Hell, that at least could have recuperated some of the losses.

hamchan

SwiftSketcher said:
Holy shit at the Euro twitter being flooded. At least they're being a little less rude now...

Person on it has probably realized their job might be on the line so time to play nice.

Did I post in this thread already to say I hate Capcom?

I did? I'm gonna post again. I hate Capcom.

And that's fucked up. I never thought I could hate Konami, but I do now. And now Capcom too. All I have left is Nintendo themselves and I'll hate everyone from the NES days.

Special J

Banned
honestly one thing you can count on is for capcom to always act like capcom. if it isnt going to make money they're not going to fund it. its pretty simple

people thinking that capcom is actively trolling the gaming community are just fooling themselves. the super loud vocal minority is what causes things like child of eden to sell a pathetic 24k. the internet causes false sense of popularity.

Special J said:
honestly one thing you can count on is for capcom to always act like capcom. if it isnt going to make money they're not going to fund it. its pretty simple

people thinking that capcom is actively trolling the gaming community are just fooling themselves. the super loud vocal minority is what causes things like child of eden to sell a pathetic 24k. the internet causes false sense of popularity.

Yeah, continue to ignore the fact that they openly blamed fans. That certainly couldn't be seen as an act of trolling.

I don't think this was brought up before, but Sven did respond to this in the Capcom forums:

Sven said:
I don't want to give any false hope guys. The communications you got from Gregaman are all I can really provide at this time.

As far as the Capcom Europe thing, I'm not sure what that's about. I do know that the European fanbase for MM in general is far smaller than NA or Japan.

I wish I had some other nugget of MM news to share for you guys to get excited about (we had Legends to focus on when we cancelled Universe) but I'm really at a loss. I've got nothing I can share right now. I know it seems difficult to believe (and I expect loads of neg comments after this because of that lack of information) but MM is still really important to the company as a brand.

In response to being asked directly if he thought "CAPCOM is trying to kill off the Blue Bomber" he said:

Absolutely not. I just wish I had something to hold up and show you definitively that that isn't the case, but I don't right now.

Interesting responses to say the least. He didn't even try defending the company's actions.

2mq6yk7.jpg

repost?

hamchan

Phoenix_Apollo said:
I don't think this was brought up before, but Sven did respond to this in the Capcom forums:
Interesting responses to say the least. He didn't even try defending the company's actions.

Sven is smart enough to not defend this.

I was mildly excited for MML3. I wasn't gonna hype it up ahead of time or whatever, but I was going to buy it when it came out. I didn't even know this "devroom" thing even friggin existed. I would say that the majority of the would-be consumers of MML3 fall into the same category as me. Capcom acts like the sales of the game are 1:1 with people who retweet their stupid updates or something.

Glad to know for future reference that I'm responsible for releasing Capcom's games.

edit: wtf is even going on anymore :lol

0PcDF.png

http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93954893798326272

can't believe they're sarcastically responding to the fallout from this. is anyone awake at that company?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Does Capcom management really have that poor of an opinion about megaman?

To me, Mega Man is to Capcom the same way as Mario is to Nintendo. It's their flagship franchise, their mascot character, what made them. I know Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are the real money makers now, but Mega Man is still the face of your company. it'd be like if Disney cancelled Epic Mickey so they could make a new Pirates game or something, I guess..

Anteater

autobzooty said:

http://i.imgur.com/0PcDF.png[IMG]

[URL="http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93954893798326272"]http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93954893798326272[/URL]

can't believe they're sarcastically responding to the fallout from this. is anyone awake at that company?[/QUOTE]

:lol I saw that, twitter is moving fast too since he's responding to everything

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
autobzooty said:
I was mildly excited for MML3. I wasn't gonna hype it up ahead of time or whatever, but I was going to buy it when it came out. I didn't even know this "devroom" thing even friggin existed. I would say that the majority of the would-be consumers of MML3 fall into the same category as me. Capcom acts like the sales of the game are 1:1 with people who retweet their stupid updates or something.

Glad to know for future reference that I'm responsible for releasing Capcom's games.

0PcDF.png

http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93954893798326272

can't believe they're sarcastically responding to the fallout from this. is anyone awake at that company?

This exchange can be summed up as:

"Fu*k you!!!"

"Thank you"

The hell :lol

DocTarHeel said:
From the twitter:

Thewallcrusher Dogi @CapcomEuro You are fucking retarded.
4 minutes ago

CapcomEuro Capcom Europe @Thewallcrusher i'm not :)

http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93949742215729152

EDIT:

Davoli Michael Davoli @CapcomEuro Milk the franchises you have left, the end is near.
5 minutes ago
in reply to ↑

CapcomEuro Capcom Europe @Davoli no plenty more to come I promise

http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93950175382487040

Now they are REALLY trolling people? are they fucking stupid 5 year old kids?

i think their twitter manager is actually losing his mind. i feel for him, it's gotta be the worst job ever right about now, but seriously wtf

every tweet is like a new slap in the face

Ahoi-Brause said:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2mq6yk7.jpg
repost?

I don't know about you, but this little comic actually hit me hard. And I wasn't even hyped up for MML3. I really hope the team behind this title moves on to greener pastures soon.

To Platinum!

MML3 was one game I would have ponied up for a 3DS, Capcom is literally pissing money away. This would have moved systems, incredibly dumb business move imo. I don't think 3DS sales have anything to do with it, it was basically Inafune leaving and Capcom giving him (and us) a big "F YOU".

But honestly, after the loss of Mikami and now Inafune...other than the SF guy's Capcom doesn't have many flagship talent left. Maybe in the future THQ or Bandai can take over the SF series, after of course teh new DMC releases...

Key2001

Anteater said:
:lol I saw that, twitter is moving fast too since he's responding to everything

An attempt to try and bury his/her earlier comments? He/She is also denying/backtracking on earlier comments he/she said.

Honestly, I hope the guy writing the Tweets for Capcom Europe gets the boot. I don't see any reason why Capcom would want someone like him creating an image for the company like that.

Anteater

So what is the devroom anyway? I never participate anything from capcom nor do I go to their site/forum. Judging from his tweets, he's saying devroom is the development process:

@CapcomEuro Why start the Dev Room to bring the hopes up of fans who haven't seen a sequel in a decade if the project fell through so easy?

@OnTheBomb Thats the development process i'm afraid :-(

@CapcomEuro How exactly do you want people to be "more involved"? Do you want us to make the game for you?

@dertek well yes that's the point of Dev rooms

This whole thing is weird :lol

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
GaimeGuy said:
Does Capcom management really have that poor of an opinion about megaman?

To me, Mega Man is to Capcom the same way as Mario is to Nintendo. It's their flagship franchise, their mascot character, what made them. I know Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are the real money makers now, but Mega Man is still the face of your company. it'd be like if Disney cancelled Epic Mickey so they could make a new Pirates game or something, I guess..
Megaman not even being included in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 says it all.

given that it's capcom, i can't help but hypothesize that this cancellation is totally staged and next week they'll announce that "due to enormous outcry from the fans, we have resumed development of MML3."

and when i actually read what i just wrote, it sounds fucking crazy, but still, i wouldn't be surprised.

What if...

Capcom Euro's TRYING to incite more fan anger? That way, more people will respond and make the opposition of the game getting canceled even louder! That way, they'll have a huge number to show Capcom JP how wrong they were in canceling it! That makes sense right? RIGHT?

;_____;

Negator

"We wanted to show Megaman Legends 3 footage at E3, but Capcom wouldn't let us because they didn't want to show games that they weren't planning to sell."

Top Bottom