• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

I was actually hoping for a game like this the other day when I was thinking to myself that I really wanted a Fire Emblem that was turn-based JRPG instead of Strategy RPG with tiles. I HATE games with tiles. I don't like that style at all.

Being a mashup of Shin Megami and Fire Emblem will perhaps keep the aesthetics of Fire Emblem but perhaps change the combat to be turn-based. If it turns out that way I would buy it.

cj_iwakura

I was actually hoping for a game like this the other day when I was thinking to myself that I really wanted a Fire Emblem that was turn-based JRPG instead of Strategy RPG with tiles. I HATE games with tiles. I don't like that style at all.

Being a mashup of Shin Megami and Fire Emblem will perhaps keep the aesthetics of Fire Emblem but perhaps change the combat to be turn-based. If it turns out that way I would buy it.

I think it's going to be a mix of Devil Survivor and Fire Emblem. Grid combat, weapon triangle battles, elemental weaknesses, demon summoning.

In short, all out chaos.

This was the biggest surprise of the direct for me, definitely hyped for this. I actually hope it's more of an srpg. I think it's noe my most anticipated U game.

DS2: Overclocked is rumored to be in the works to coincide with the anime. He might be on that, though I'm not sure if that holds since, I'm not sure if he was on DS1: Overclocked.
I assume that is done (or close to finished). It's more likely that someone from Int Sys is directing, though.

Jenga

Banned
That's cool for Awakening and all, for the newcomers... but two of gaming's most brutal franchises crossover and you think there's a desire amongst players for a wuss mode? :p

congratulations, you're now qualified to write video games

and the protag has several romantic party members

atlus hire me now

So I'm a big Fire Emblem fan but my Shin Megami Tensai experience is limited to what I've played of Persona 4 Golden so far. What should I play to get myself ready for this?

Okay so at the end of the trailer we can see some city or village burning.

My guess is demons appear in FE world and a portal is opened and that's where SMT characters come in. Heroes from both worlds team up to defeat a God that was summoned by a King in a country in FE World.
So I'm a big Fire Emblem fan but my Shin Megami Tensai experience is limited to what I've played of Persona 4 Golden so far. What should I play to get myself ready for this?
Demons
and fusions
and Matador
and, um, epicness

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Soul Hackers comes out soon, and it's super old school SMTness. If not that, get Strange Journey

Beth Cyra

SMT 3 Nocture is your best bet.

As it is you haven't really experinced SMT because Persona is it's own thing and P4 isn't something you can really compare SMT mainlines too.

Well there's the Devil Survivor games, which are SRPGs (but not like Fire Emblem SRPGs), and then there's Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne, which is the only SMT game they featured in the teaser that is both really good and available in English.

cj_iwakura

Soul Hackers comes out soon, and it's super old school SMTness. If not that, get Strange Journey

Soul Hackers is easier than Strange Journey, no joke. It's also more like core SMT than SJ, oddly enough, since you get six party members and a female protagonist. (Well, SMT1/2, anyway.)

SMT 3 Nocture is your best bet.

As it is you haven't really experinced SMT because Persona is it's own thing and P4 isn't something you can really compare SMT mainlines too.

Yeah, I like Strange Journey but Nocturne is just awesome. It was darker and more atmospheric than I was expecting, there's no other game quite like it.

NichM

Banned
Soul Hackers is easier than Strange Journey, no joke. It's also more like core SMT than SJ, oddly enough, since you get six party members and a female protagonist. (Well, SMT1/2, anyway.)

How can Soul Hackers be more core SMT than a core SMT game?

Jessicat

Not sure if it's already been posted but Index themselves just confirmed that the game's going to be an RPG

http://indexweb.jp/news/2013/10602.html
YES! Okay NOW I'm excited! 8D [really don't like supporting the region-locked consoles though :(] Thanks for the link!

The only crossover that'd've been more interestingly random [to me] would've been SMT x Digimon, lol, since Digimon's been making a comback lately; Digital Devils and Digital Monsters! XD

This game should hopefully make up for the crappy 2D battles in SMTIV :B I know squat all about FE though, I think I remember trying a GBA ROM once a long while back and it didn't catch my interest at all ._.; Though on the flip side, the DemiKids GBA games were what got me into SMT *shrug*

...Am I the only one who thought the last scene of the trailier looked like a city with magatsuhi[sp? it's been a while XD] wafting out of it...?

Jintor

tumblr_mh3wc7BNFZ1rykwzao1_500.png

sauce

sweet :3

Sooooo NoA...you know what you did allowing this to be shown..right?

Considering the rather large push that Awakening is getting, that SMT game has skipped America in years, and no console Fire Emblem has been skipped over since the series came to America, I have to imagine it was just a little bit intentional.

Infinite

There should be a bingo board for all SMT related threads.

"Where's Persona 5"
"Does it have Kaneko art?"
Dantis bitching about something
etc. can be squares

Marz

This crossover almost completely assures that we'll get at least two fire emblem games on Wii U. There will eventually be a mainline game on here.

As someone who's never played a Megami Tensei game, is this a crossover that makes any kind of sense?

Fire Emblem Awakening involves a lot of time travel/world hopping nonsense (it may not actually be nonsense for the main storyline, but it absolutely is for the DLC), and Shin Megami Tensei IV has a modern day Tokyo plopped down in the year 1492 (it is probably not actually 1492).

Top Bottom