• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

h3ro

Coloured buttons on a shirt for a wedding? They're navy blue tortoiseshell on white twin weave cotton, the suit is navy too.

I can't decide if it's a potential faux pas or not...

Nah, I'd just look elsewhere. Too informal in my opinion.

I think the only setting in which they work wedding-wise is in black-tie where shirt studs would be needed.

Hmm, the thing is it's a really nice fit. I got a plain white one from Next instead to play it safe (it was all sealed so couldn't try it on until I got home) and the collar is super stiff and comes up too high and the arms are too long. It's a really awkward fit, don't like it at all.

Most legit dress shirts come with long arms and long length to account for different sizes. Supposed to take it to a tailor and have it tailored to your size. And yeah most cheap dress shirts have super stiff collar fusing. If you want soft but nice dress collars take a look at some french brands such as Sandro, APC, Agnes B, or even Kenzo. They are expensive though. French brands typically only half fuse their collars so you get a softer more elegant collar thats stiff enough for wearing with a suit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ugh, that's straight up cartoon villain amounts of evil.

Any other alternatives other than the aforementioned Warby Parker?

My next pair of glasses is going to be from Ahlem. Tried on a rather geometric pair in deep green recently and fell in love immediately. Way more interesting than anything else I've seen lately.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I think I'll go with a simple white shirt, just need to find one that fits my tiny frame well!

(I'm not getting one tailored, it's probably too late now anyway, the wedding is this weekend.)
Are all necklaces not gender-neutral already?
No?

Would you wear a heart locket or a flower pendant or similar?

What a strange question.
What makes a necklace "for men"?
Generally a very simple chain, maybe a crucifix at a push, and they're usually thicker than the very svelte, delicate chains on a ladies' necklace.

As I mentioned on the other page, I really like Moscot, an NYC family owned operation for 100 years, SALT are independent, Barton Perrerira, Maui Jim is apparently still independent. You can usually find a whole list by typing into Google "independent sunglasses company" or "non luxottica owned companies". I am personally not a fan of Warby Parker's quality, but appreciate their disruptive efforts.

I was not aware Oliver Peoples was owned by Luxottica but the only eyewear company I am interested in that is independent is Randolph USA. They are a family owned business and you can clearly see it in their "Meet the Team" page.

By the way, here's an interview with the Luxottica CEO and you can just feel the chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwoGyLMUA0

EVOL 100%

As I mentioned on the other page, I really like Moscot, an NYC family owned operation for 100 years, SALT are independent, Barton Perrerira, Maui Jim is apparently still independent. You can usually find a whole list by typing into Google "independent sunglasses company" or "non luxottica owned companies". I am personally not a fan of Warby Parker's quality, but appreciate their disruptive efforts.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

My next pair of glasses is going to be from Ahlem. Tried on a rather geometric pair in deep green recently and fell in love immediately. Way more interesting than anything else I've seen lately.

Those look good, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to pay pver $400 for a pair of glasses, lol

Oxn

Ive had my eye on (pun intended) a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses thats gonna cost 320.

Really gotta think this through, never in my wildest dream did i think i might spend so much on sunglasses.

EVOL 100%

For the record, Randolph is around half that which is still expensive but not too bad for the quality. You can also get discounted ones on eBay.

I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable spending more than 100 bucks for glasses. I lose them all the time and I don't use them too much anyway (both prescription and sunglasses). I feel physical pain spending more than $200 on jackets as it is, lol.

Maybe I could look those up when I get employed again, but now as a broke ass student, I'll have to say no to those. Thanks for the recommendation though! They do look really cool, I jist can't afford them now.

I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable spending more than 100 bucks for glasses. I lose them all the time and I don't use them too much anyway (both prescription and sunglasses). I feel physical pain spending more than $200 on jackets as it is, lol.

Maybe I could look those up when I get employed again, but now as a broke ass student, I'll have to say no to those. Thanks for the recommendation though! They do look really cool, I just can't afford them now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RANDOLP...hash=item5432a2ef63:m:mDQJdmkYAdEXSCkpsv1Tqag

Matte Black Frames with Gray Lenses available for $80. Free shipping. No pressure, I do not work for Randolph but they are tough sunglasses.

kiyomi

No?

Would you wear a heart locket or a flower pendant or similar?

What a strange question.

Wow, okay. That seems unnecessarily restrictive and conforming to gender roles but you do you I guess. If wearing a flower pendant around your neck threatens your masculinity so much perhaps you should question why you feel that way and whether those beliefs come from within you or are social pressures that make you feel like that.

It's not surprising a lot of men's clothing is dull as fuck when the mere thought of something not masculine in the traditional sense threatens to shatter worlds apart. Not trying to personally have a go at you here btw -- I just find it fascinating that some people are set in their ways.

i am selling two on ebay right now since they don't really fit my style all that well. buyer's remorse.

It only happened to me once. However, I kept the jacket.

It is this one...

jM8ZZ7o.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Wow, okay. That seems unnecessarily restrictive and conforming to gender roles but you do you I guess. If wearing a flower pendant around your neck threatens your masculinity so much perhaps you should question why you feel that way and whether those beliefs come from within you or are social pressures that make you feel like that.

It's not surprising a lot of men's clothing is dull as fuck when the mere thought of something not masculine in the traditional sense threatens to shatter worlds apart. Not trying to personally have a go at you here btw -- I just find it fascinating that some people are set in their ways.
They were asking if all necklaces are gender neutral, which they clearly aren't. Unless you want to go down the "hey man, everything is gender neutral if you're open minded enough, don't be so regressive" path.

I know anyone can where what they want, but in general, are dainty little necklaces with thread thin chains and a sparkly little flower pendant designed for men? Obviously not.

Don't be so obtuse.

kiyomi

They were asking if all necklaces are gender neutral, which they clearly aren't. Unless you want to go down the "hey man, everything is gender neutral if you're open minded enough, don't be so regressive" path.

I know anyone can where what they want, but in general, are dainty little necklaces with thread thin chains and a sparkly little flower pendant designed for men? Obviously not.

Don't be so obtuse.

Your response to that question was to ask whether a man would wear a pendant with a flower or whatever, as if to imply men shouldn't or can't wear those things. It's pretty clear you don't believe stuff "intended" for women should be worn on men.

I wear 'dainty' necklaces, chokers and rings, were they somehow not intended for me? C'mon man. It's 2017. Put the dad jeans and the attitude away.

I really like it. Too bad im too short to pull off overcoat styles. Jackets that go past the waist on short guys dont look good.

I like it too, when you have it in your hands you realize the beautiful natural distressed look. It's fantastic.

But yeah, the length was the problem for me, and although I'm not short, I wish the jacket was 2.5" shorter. In the pictures it didn't look like that and since I've already purchased other jackets from SoulRevolver and all of them fit me just perfect, I thought it was going to be the same with that new one, but it wasn't.

NinjaBoiX

Your response to that question was to ask whether a man would wear a pendant with a flower or whatever, as if to imply men shouldn't or can't wear those things. It's pretty clear you don't believe stuff "intended" for women should be worn on men.

I wear 'dainty' necklaces, chokers and rings, were they somehow not intended for me? C'mon man. It's 2017. Put the dad jeans and the attitude away.
Oh come on, if you want to wear ladies jewellery then more power to you. Seriously, that's a bold statement.

But let's not pretend that those designing this jewellery don't have a specific gender in mind, as much as it might pain you to admit it that's simple not reality.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Got the Rick shirt I ordered from Yoox; described as "fits small," order the smallest size they make. Shirt fits absuuuuuuuuurdly huge, and not in that subverted-societal-expectations kind of way. I'm just too small and short to wear this goddamn stuff.

It's really the only sort of clothing I find interesting these days, so I guess it's back to hating men's fashion again. At least there's always shoes.

entremet

So I'm wearing skinny jeans. Not too bad. It took some time. My denim fit evolution has been carpenter/bootcut (shudders), regular fit, slim, and now skinny.

The natural taper just looks better and shows off your footwear. I think I just thought of the super tight versions as the definitive versions.

Oxn

So I'm wearing skinny jeans. Not too bad. It took some time. My denim fit evolution has been carpenter/bootcut (shudders), regular fit, slim, and now skinny.

The natural taper just looks better and shows off your footwear. I think I just thought of the super tight versions as the definitive versions.

It use to be. But as more clothing companies got into the slim / skinny trend many years ago, they adjusted the fits out of vanity.

So slims now are like regular fit back then, and skinnies now, and like slims back then.

Got the Rick shirt I ordered from Yoox; described as "fits small," order the smallest size they make. Shirt fits absuuuuuuuuurdly huge, and not in that subverted-societal-expectations kind of way. I'm just too small and short to wear this goddamn stuff.

It's really the only sort of clothing I find interesting these days, so I guess it's back to hating men's fashion again. At least there's always shoes.

Yoox is definitely a crapshoot when it comes to sizing/fit.

As a fellow short guy I do as much research on sizing as possible. SSENSE has pretty detailed measurements of every garment they sell. Looking at this RO shirt for example, all 7 sizes seem to be cut to the same length (33")! Definitely seems like a brand designed with a taller guy in mind. It sucks but you just gotta forget about brands that don't cater to you.

entremet

It use to be. But as more clothing companies got into the slim / skinny trend many years ago, they adjusted the fits out of vanity.

So slims now are like regular fit back then, and skinnies now, and like slims back then.
Ah. No wonder. My recent slims have been too billowy past the knee.

NinjaBoiX

So I went with the coloured button shirt, it looks really good with the suit! It was just the right fit man, I tried about four other shirts and they all looked terrible, just baggy and billowy with one or both of a stiff, awkward collar and double fold cuffs. They just felt really stifling and to be honest, too formal. This one fits so well, and the buttons accent the suit perfectly. It's not like I'm a groomsman, as long as I look smart it's all good!

Sometimes you've got to just go with it, I reckon it works! And even if it doesn't, the tie hides the buttons anyway.

I'll try and post pics at some point.

sam12

Where is the best place for athletic fit jeans/pants? Seems wherever I try the pants on, be it Zara etc, they have skinny to slim fits that never fit. I dislike how tight they get as it goes lower.

Where is the best place for athletic fit jeans/pants? Seems wherever I try the pants on, be it Zara etc, they have skinny to slim fits that never fit. I dislike how tight they get as it goes lower.

This is a problem with a lot of patterns as you strength train. You want something that accommodates your thighs but you don't want to size up so much that you're swimming in the waist. I basically avoid almost all skinny jean patterns and most slim (but not all if the rise is high enough). Not my cup of tea and most of them aren't accommodating for larger builds. I've found jeans with a higher rise are much more accommodating. Skinny jeans tend to have very low rise. These have been my daily wear since I got them a few weeks ago. https://www.ironheart.co.uk/bottoms/1955s.html

Also try Left Field NYC (charles atlas fit). I hear they make a slim jean with large athletic thighs in mind.

I like the jcrew 484 pants (non stretch ones). No crazy tapers like zara (yeah i have experienced this too) and the fabric is actually very nice. Also the uniqlo stretch/slims chinos are good as well. Not too tapered or skinny at least on me.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I have sizable enough calves that J.Crew's chinos are unflattering or border on being a second skin (although their 1040 cut in denim is fine), but I really like 3Sixteen's straight leg denim. I only have a single pair of the SL-101x, so I can't speak to their chinos. Engineered Garments' jeans are also nicely cut, and it's not too difficult to find them discounted or used.

Lemaire isn't my thing but it's certainly better then the JW Andersen cast offs. Talk about phoning it in sheesh. I wish Jil would do some more shit for them. That had to have been the best collab they have ever done.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Lemaire isn't my thing but it's certainly better then the JW Andersen cast offs. Talk about phoning it in sheesh. I wish Jil would do some more shit for them. That had to have been the best collab they have ever done.
I had no idea there was a Uniqlo x J.W. Anderson collaboration and now that I've looked it up, I wish I hadn't. Cast-offs is being charitable. Those are some utterly unremarkable pieces.

oh yeah, +J was awesome. I still have a parka from that collab that I bought in Japan in 2009.

Yes i outgrew all my +J stuff =(. Read that they required Jil to travel to Japan often for the collabs. She was also doing a lot of general consulting for them too and it burned her the fuck out. She pretty much gave up fashion altogether after he last uniqlo collection.

Those Lemaire wool pants look interesting, they are described as slim silhouette but loose. I take loose to mean drapey pants but not sagging.

giga

Yes i outgrew all my +J stuff =(. Read that they required Jil to travel to Japan often for the collabs. She was also doing a lot of general consulting for them too and it burned her the fuck out. She pretty much gave up fashion altogether after he last uniqlo collection.

Those Lemaire wool pants look interesting, they are described as slim silhouette but loose. I take loose to mean drapey pants but not sagging.

That's my impression. Doesn't seem that saggy here.

slide04.jpg

Top Bottom