• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh hell yes. I went IN on uniqlo x lemaire last year and some of my best FW pieces are from that collection. Loving all the olive stuff this year.

The sweater is very nice.

Why are they so cheap?

i do not fuck with sweatshop clothing but understand that many people don't have the luxury to buy the brands i do and claim to have "clean hands."

kiyomi

Zara bugs me because of their copyright/art theft as much as sweatshop practices.

TBF, if you're using anything electronic, that was nearly assuredly made in a sweatshop too :(

With materials from Africa that enable slavery and unsafe conditions for working children! What a fun party this is.

I would love to go 100% ethical and one day maybe I/we can but the realities of the economy right now mean it's an almost unobtainable goal for most people. I guess thrifting is probably the most ethical thing you can do in a way? Since you're not incentivizing the market to create more garments produced by slave labour/sweatshops. And also buying ethical when/where you can and demanding that bigger companies make it standard practice.

Mostly what I want from companies is some transparency. It's one of the things that drew me to Nudies' stuff, but even their Made in Italy items are potentially suspicious because I've heard of poor working conditions and labour laws in Italy.

EVOL 100%

I've actually been thinking of relying on thrifting for most of my wardrobe for economic, environmental and ethical reasons, although I'm not sure how well that would actually work out

Antagon

What do you say GAF, yay or nay?

naseby_1.jpg

not sure on that particular boot maker, but pebbled leather like that is used on boots from some english makers upwards of $1000

Full grain leather is premium no doubt but on cheaper shoes the grain can be faked (corrected grain leather). Sometimes it is used to mask leather inconsistencies. When buying leather shoes quality goes full grain > top grain > genuine leather. Looking at the details of the boot I would guess it is most likely faked grain leather.

Oxn

not sure on that particular boot maker, but pebbled leather like that is used on boots from some english makers upwards of $1000

The leather on these boots look like they were made using the same material on a Spalding basketball.

Edit: Any opinions on this backpack? Im wearing like a normal looking school backpack going to work, and was wondering if this looked a little more grown up. Im not doing messenger bags no more. Too uncomfortable.

Yeah, I know, I'm just commenting based on how the shoes look in that particular picture.

It looks like very low quality leather (fake or not).

Regards.

jtb

Banned
What are good places to shop for tailored suits? Indochino any good? Their clearance prices seem reasonable for made to measure suits.

I just picked up two meh suits from Men's Wearhouse on the cheap just to have something for my office dress code (previous work was business casual, so I'm starting from scratch here), but once I get my feet settled, I'd like to pick up something a little nicer.

MoodyFog

What are good places to shop for tailored suits? Indochino any good? Their clearance prices seem reasonable for made to measure suits.

I just picked up two meh suits from Men's Wearhouse on the cheap just to have something for my office dress code (previous work was business casual, so I'm starting from scratch here), but once I get my feet settled, I'd like to pick up something a little nicer.

Wassyour budget ?

SuitSupply is classic, if you got some money I'd recommend Husbands

If you know a good tailor, the Jcrew Ludlow suits are great. Their year round wool weight suits are half canvased and use Loro Piana wool. I took it to my local Neapolitan tailor and he was impressed by the suit for the price I got it for. If you are a slender guy go for slim lapels and if you are a bit more thicker go for a wider lapel. It cost like 500+ for both suit and pants plus another 90 to tailor the jacket and pants how I wanted them.

h3ro

For the love of all that is good, please steer clear of Indochino and Combatgentleman. Atrocious clothing and customer service. A single google of their history will show you what I mean. Fashion reddit is full of documented horror stories.

For $1000, you can go full MTM at Suitsupply. Highly recommended. I have my first MTM pieces coming mid-Sept but my experience with their ready to wear lines have been fantastic.

Antagon

It's Loake, so I wouldn't expect something atrocious. But yeah, looking again the leather looks a lot cheaper than it should be for a pair that price.

Might just get some second hand Tricker's:

$_86.JPG

BizzyBum

Where's a good place for fall jackets? Looking for a style like bomber jackets that are not super expensive but still look nice.

have you tried Levi's 541 cut?

I know this post wasn't directed at me, but thank you. I just received a pair of 541s that I ordered over the weekend. Where have these jeans been all of my life?! The fit is perfect. I have one pair of 511 slim fits, and it makes my balls feel like they are going to lose circulation and fall off.

Now to find a pair of dress pants that fit like this...

I know this post wasn't directed at me, but thank you. I just received a pair of 541s that I ordered over the weekend. Where have these jeans been all of my life?! The fit is perfect. I have one pair of 511 slim fits, and it makes my balls feel like they are going to lose circulation and fall off.

Now to find a pair of dress pants that fit like this...

Awesome. I'm glad my post helped you find pants that don't strangle your equipment.

I bought two pairs of Wrangler shorts from Target and I couldn't wait a week for shipping from one of my "All American" places. So consider me guilty although I try to avoid buying from places who use sweatshops.

BumRush

I'm looking for a backpack that can fit 2 15" laptops. Something "North Face-ish", solid black, sturdy. Anyone have experience? I'm sort of fed up with a messenger bag for that use case as it's less comfortable than I need. Thanks!

Oxn

I'm looking for a backpack that can fit 2 15" laptops. Something "North Face-ish", solid black, sturdy. Anyone have experience? I'm sort of fed up with a messenger bag for that use case as it's less comfortable than I need. Thanks!

No Experience with their backpacks, but Under Armour makes Northfacish backpacks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If you guys want a really really cheap alternative to Common Projects check out Clae. I got some gray felt-like lowtops and they are really nice.

If you guys want a really really cheap alternative to Common Projects check out Clae. I got some gray felt-like lowtops and they are really nice.

Seems like more of a Stan Smith alternative to me.

Does anyone know a good brand for a "shell" raincoat? I just need a thin water-proof layer to wear over my regular clothes so they don't get soaked when it rains.

Bonus points if the branding is minimal.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Seems like more of a Stan Smith alternative to me.

Does anyone know a good brand for a "shell" raincoat? I just need a thin water-proof layer to wear over my regular clothes so they don't get soaked when it rains.

Bonus points if the branding is minimal.

Common projects are pretty much leather stan smiths.

Try Rains maybe for the shell.

Can anyone recommend some dope-as stylish bomber jackets?
I've been looking, but cant find any that are interesting and under $1k+

The Real McCoy's https://www.realmccoyslondon.com/us/categories/all-outerwear/coats-jackets.html
Buzz Rickson's http://www.buzzricksons.com/jackets-c-49.html

but honestly I'm usually not a fan of aviation jackets that aren't leather and for $500-$900 you can get a damn good A-1 or A-2 but probably not from the two brands I recommended.

Top Bottom