• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |OT3| - How do you deal with depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagZ

Drinking, definitely a NO-NO! It has a short term gain for a long term loss. Think of it this way, you are borrowing on credit some "feel good", but like all loans, the payback will be for more than you are borrowing. If you can afford that, then good for you, drinking can be fun. But if you are fighting depression, trust me, you can't afford it.

Music I do agree with though, that can be tremendous and is free feel good. :) Just stick with happy/uplifting music if you can, though sad songs can help too in some cases. A good cry can really move along recovery sometimes.

I listen to music every day, there is no way I could get through a day without it hah. I have been breaking down pretty frequently, and I don't know if it's a good thing.

dagZ

sorry guys but for the stupid update, but i didn't know who to talk to.. after not talking for a couple weeks, she sends me this the night before NYE.. "I think it's best we leave each other in 2017. I wish you all the best. Happy new year. " This sentence to me has not other reasoning to send it than to hurt the other person. It's basically saying i don't want to talk to you ever again. God, that shit hurts. Now i'm in a mood before tomorrow and I don't know how to get out of it. To me, that's basically a big "fuck you" to our whole relationship, and it was meaningless to her. This will be my last update guys, sorry about the random spam. haha

sorry guys but for the stupid update, but i didn't know who to talk to.. after not talking for a couple weeks, she sends me this the night before NYE.. "I think it's best we leave each other in 2017. I wish you all the best. Happy new year. " This sentence to me has not other reasoning to send it than to hurt the other person. It's basically saying i don't want to talk to you ever again. God, that shit hurts. Now i'm in a mood before tomorrow and I don't know how to get out of it. To me, that's basically a big "fuck you" to our whole relationship, and it was meaningless to her. This will be my last update guys, sorry about the random spam. haha

Sorry to hear that, if I'm being honest it sounds like she's a bitch that wants to make you feel bad. People like that aren't worth feeling bad over.

I know it's easier said than done though, I've been suffering from pretty sever depression and anxiety over the past 12 months as I developed PSTD from an incident. It's very easy to trick yourself into thinking nothing is going to change it... and over 12 months of 24/7 depression and/or anxiety really does make the grind harder and harder. I've lost my full time job, all my savings, and am now trying my hardest not to lose my house now that I'm unfit for my job due to my mental health. I also wrecked my car during this period (I also got fined $600 for "losing control of a motor vehicle" and when I couldn't pay had my licence suspended, smashed my phone and most of my meals these days are bread based because I can't afford groceries anymore. I scrounge together bottles and cans to try and afford a BBQ gas bottle so I can have a hot shower now and then. I also am now looking at having my credit defaulted due to loans I cannot pay and losing any hope of having a loan for the next 5+ years.

The only reason I say this, is because this is what happens to a person when they go through depression/anxiety (PTSD) and noone recognises it or does anything to treat it. The post earlier about non-zero days is an important one. I let my depression control my behaviour... and thanks to that I'm now wondering where I'm going to get my next meal from or for how long I'm going to have a roof over my head.

Don't let it happen to you...... ive realised it's become important to keep saying to myself "well if you feel this bad... you're not gonna feel any better by doing nothing, might as well feel bad doing something productive"

It's not much but I started a vegetable garden and also built a chicken coop.... I'm still in a major financial hole... but thanks to me forcing myself through that bit of effort I at least get to enjoy fresh eggs and veggies, which feels like an amazing treat to me just to eat some half decent food.

I've slowly been trying to build up a business but it's hard going and realistically I'm going to have to find another way to earn money before then... but it's hard to get a job when you go several severe panic attacks a day (and when I mean sever I mean rocking in a chair crying for as little as 10 minutes or up to 5 hours, depending on the attack) Not many employers are too keen on hiring a nervous wreck.

The9BREAKER

Neo Member
Hit the gym. Works wonders.

Source: the millions of guys at the gym and other fellow posters doing the same. Hit da weights brah

PtM

Banned
Oh no you don't!
She's being curt so as to not give you false hope.
She wants you to come to terms with the situation, instead of negotiating with her; that would needlessly prolong the breakup.

In other words, this isn't about hurting you.

dagZ

Oh no you don't!
She's being curt so as to not give you false hope.
She wants you to come to terms with the situation, instead of negotiating with her; that would needlessly prolong the breakup.

In other words, this isn't about hurting you.

I want to believe you, but during our relationship, she would use the excuse of "im a mean person, you knew that" during arguments when she said really mean/rude things. Some thing that i've never forget.

Honestly, it doesn't matter at this point, the things that were said to me can't be forgotten and I don't know if I could be with someone who can leave so easily.

Sure, ill always care deeply about her because that's how I am, but it's caused me so much pain.

PtM

Banned
I want to believe you, but during our relationship, she would use the excuse of "im a mean person, you knew that" during arguments when she said really mean/rude things. Some thing that i've never forget.

Honestly, it doesn't matter at this point, the things that were said to me can't be forgotten and I don't know if I could be with someone who can leave so easily.

Sure, ill always care deeply about her because that's how I am, but it's caused me so much pain.
She doesn't sound stable much as well, taking like that about oneself.

You've said before that she's not the right person for you, so now you can look out for yourself.

If you're too tired for exercise, just go for a long walk instead.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My mental health is messing with my me and my life.

I thought I had it under control but I slip back and It is taking hold I keep fighting my mind.

I’m more negative and anxious things will go wrong and kind of making them happen.

I want to fix this before it’s too late.

But keeping my self busy is a good way to go.
Must get back in the weight lose healthy zone

Blam

Just another update I guess.

I honestly didn't think I could have it hit me harder then it did on New Years. I felt fucking worthless, and it carried over to this week. I still feel like I'm worthless, and I don't feel like anyone around me even cares about me anymore.

I was talking to someone who's been helping me a bit, and I've come to it that I can't remember the last time I didn't feel either sad or angry. I don't remember how it feels like to be happy, or how being attached to someone feels. Or even waking up feeling like I have meaning.

I consistently have insane mood swings from sad to "happy" (what I think being happy feels like), and back down. It's absolutely killing me and some days I feel like I'm going to die.

I wouldn't ever wish a life like this to anyone, and I hope people try and push themselves out of it before, your depression really settles in.

The holiday season can really amplify the effects, my guess is that because our brains generally treat the holiday season as a social effort and if you're left alone over the holidays it can feel like the world is off socializing and having fun without you.

Just remember.... no matter how worthless you may feel, it's only true if you let that feeling make you worthless.

When suffering from depression it can become easy to start to identify with the depression as if it's a part of who you are, especially when long term. It's important to keep reminding yourself that you are not defined by your condition. It's hard because it's human nature to take our emotions and interpret them and understand what's causing them... which (for people like myself) can turn into a vicious cycle where you can start to attribute other factors to your depression/anxiety when the truth is... most of the time you're feeling depressed JUST because you suffer from a depression disorder. Part of the problem with a mental health disorder is the mismanagement and misattribution of emotions. Remember it wouldn't be a disorder if you could control the feelings. As humans we like to correlate things so it's easy to go "im depressed because im lonely" or "im depressed because im poor". It may be one of the causes as to why you started to suffer but once you have a full blown disorder, you'll find that gaining what you think you need to get better, just doesn't help.

It's also important not to feel guilty because of depression. I go through this still and I'm slowly trying to retrain my thought process (although it's a challenge for sure).

It's easy to start thinking I feel depressed because I'm worthless, and I'm worthless because of my depression.

Instead try and think of it like your depression is an actual medical condition (because it is). People with a broken arm don't beat themselves up when they can't lift a heavy box for someone, they can accept that their condition makes it harder for them to do certain things and that that's ok. Unfortunately there's a lot of social misconceptions that can make it hard to feel like anyone cares, because most people don't understand how a mental health disorder works so they attribute depression to just 'feeling sad''.

Instead try and think of your depression as a sickness that needs to be fought with treatment. If you had the flu right now you'd probably be resting and keeping your hydration up.

So when things start getting too much try and say to yourself "ok.... my depression SYMPTOMS are going through the roof" and try to do some exercises that may help. The biggest problem with depression though is that you convince yourself at the time that NOTHING will help.

I'd recommend some mindfulness exercises. When you're feeling overwhelmingly depressed or anxious, try just closing your eyes and focusing on your breathing. Try hard to not let your mind drift to other topics.. but if they do... don't beat yourself up, just try to refocus back onto your breathing. I find it helps to count my breaths to keep me focused. When you're in a bad depression or panic attack it can sound stupid and feel worthless, but there's a lot of science to back it up. Mindfulness exercises work by retraining your brain to focus on the now, rather than worry about the future, or regret the past. It's natural that to begin with you'll have a hard time focusing but keep doing it and you'll improve at it.

It doesn't have to be breathing either. My partner uses a similar exercise but she struggles to focus when it's her breathing so she does one that's about surveying the land around you and making notes about it out loud to herself. As an example she may sit on the couch and go "im on a grey couch, it has 3 large cushions and an area on the far left side to put your feet up. it's next to a long coffee table, which is next to a window with black wooden blinds, the blinds are operated using a twist rod which is located to the left of the window and a draw string that's located to the right of the window" when she gets distracted again, she doesn't beat herself up... theres no "ah fuck I started thinking about bills im the worst"... instead its "oops i lost focus lets try to get it back, the window has a spider web in the bottom left corner...." etc.

It may sound stupid but having to make an actual note of what's around you seems to be a grounding technique that works for some people. I've also heard of some people that need to go and touch the items to help them really focus in. I have a friend that uses a shower to focus. He'll stand in the shower with the water hitting him and try to focus on where beads of water are running down his back, or down his legs to his feet. He tries to focus on the feeling of the water running down him. It's the same in theory as my partner's technique but he said he finds it easier because the sound of the water can hep to drown out other distractions, kind of like noise cancellation. I personally do better by focusing on my breathing but everyone is different and it may take you some time to learn a technique that vibes with you... but remember the goal is that it's a focus exercise, its about being able to stay focused on something very specific and easy to comprehend, and using that as a tool to remind your brain of what's actually happening in the here and now

Another suggestion may be to put on headphones and listen to music, but rather than sitting back and vibing out to the music, maybe focus on certain sounds and start focusing on when they're going to happen and when you expect them to happen, or maybe how the lower frequencies of a kick you can feel the air pressure in your cans changing. It's about trying to focus on something so that you're taking energy away from focusing on the things that are validating your depression. It's not easy and it requires an ongoing effort, but it has been shown to help and there's a lot of science to back it up.

Again.... when you're depressed/anxious this can sound stupid but what the hell else better is there to do? you feel stupid and worthless anyway so why not? The hardest thing about depression is that there's no quick fix, and it requires re-conditioning your mind to go through thought processes differently.

Try to make it a habit to do one of these mindfulness exercises for at least 10 minutes a day, it isn't much and you can do it a lot more if you want..... but keep it up for 6 weeks and see where you're at. Believe it or not there is science to show that these actually do have effects on your brain and not only in the distribution of chemicals, but also in what areas of your brain end up being used to process different things.

Blam

Sorry for the bump, but I really need some input on this. I woke up today and I couldn't recognize myself in the mirror. I don't feel like this is me anymore. Does anyone know how I'd even begin to get this dreadful feeling out of my head. I can't even stomach to look at my "own" face anymore.

shpankey

not an idiot
Hi Blam! :)

You mean like, disassociation? or you are just unhappy with how you look now compared to the ideal image you have of yourself or your younger self? Most of the stuff you list, including the latter, are very, very common with depression/anxiety. You tend to reinforce negatives while dismissing positives, validating these opinions with your broken relationships being used as your own confirmations. Just know that it's all a part of the way of unhealthy thinking that not only gets you there, but doubles down on itself to make it worse. You have to choose in your mind that you are fighting something (an illness/disease) that is out of your control, but can be defeated. Much like davidbloop said above, put yourself outside of your condition (A Beautiful Mind). By knowing the symptoms and effects of depression/anxiety, you can now combat them. Either through medications/therapy/self help. For you, it sounds like you're committed to self help, so lets begin this process... follow the things david listed as a starter and remember to eat/drink healthy and most importantly, exercise. You can beat this, many millions have and do daily. You are so not alone.

edit: sp

Last edited:

Blam

You mean like, disassociation? or you are just unhappy with how you look now compared to the ideal image you have of yourself or your younger self? Most of the stuff you list, including the latter, are very, very common with depression/anxiety. You tend to reinforce negatives while dismissing positives, validating these opinions with the broken relationships. Just know that it's all a part of the way of unhealthy thinking that not only gets you there, but doubles down on itself to make it worse. You have to chose in your mind that you are fighting something (an illness/disease) that is out of your control, but can be defeated. Much like davidbloop said above, put yourself outside of your condition. By knowing the symptoms and effects of depression/anxiety, you can now combat them. Either through medications/therapy/self help. For you, it sounds like you're committed to self help, so lets begin this process... follow the things david listed as a starter and remember to eat/drink healthy and most importantly, exercise. You can beat this, many millions have and do daily. You are so not alone.

Like I don't even want to look in the mirror anymore, because it's a stranger I see not myself no matter how long I look at it. This entire day I've spent just hiding from mirrors because I don't like seeing this face.

It doesn't help that I don't feel comfortable in my own body, and now I can't even stare myself in the eyes. I know I have severe depression, anxiety, dysmorphia, etc.

I have tried everything up and down the spectrum, and nothing seems to help.

My mood swings have gotten more intense, and are seriously effecting my current lifestyle. I am going from sad to happy to angry to depressed, to every other fucking thing in the books.

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
I play video games and watch anime to distract myself from how lonely I am and how much I hate myself and find the world boring. Which works until I stop playing/watching.

Talking to people about my problems does genuinely help sometimes though. At one point I just had to sit down and talk with my parents and admit to them that I didn't really want to be alive. It was a weird conversation but they handled it well enough and it got a load off my chest after I explained everything stressing me out. If you're ever feeling terrible, really, talk to someone about it. Just getting your feelings out and/or having someone to listen to what you have to say does wonders. If you can, removing stress from one's life also helps. That's obviously not always an option, but if you can get rid of some consistent cause of stress, it really helps coping and makes life so much easier.

Last edited:

shpankey

not an idiot
Like I don't even want to look in the mirror anymore, because it's a stranger I see not myself no matter how long I look at it. This entire day I've spent just hiding from mirrors because I don't like seeing this face.

It doesn't help that I don't feel comfortable in my own body, and now I can't even stare myself in the eyes. I know I have severe depression, anxiety, dysmorphia, etc.

I understand... I haven't followed along perfectly, but a psychiatrist or therapist can REALLY help in these situations. Not only talking about it with another compassionate human being that can loop you back on flawed logic, but medications (even low dose or "as needed" to help through the really bad patches). It's nothing to feel bad about to have someone else help us in life. If money is the issue, there are ways around that as well.

Blam

I understand... I haven't followed along perfectly, but a psychiatrist or therapist can REALLY help in these situations. Not only talking about it with another compassionate human being that can loop you back on flawed logic, but medications (even low dose or "as needed" to help through the really bad patches). It's nothing to feel bad about to have someone else help us in life. If money is the issue, there are ways around that as well.

I've already tried both. Neither helped and only made me feel worse about myself. The one thing that I've seen truly help me is just to forget it ever happened. Just forget my problems. I don't want to try medications because I'm going to get addicted. Not a maybe I will. And it'll become a curse because then it can be held over me.

I have started to talk to it with a friend, and they are helping me as much as they can, but there's so much others can do for me before it's just me talking back to a empty response. Money for me is never an issue.

It's not that I don't want to talk about it I'd love to, but I experience everything I start to bring up like it's happening to me again. I get the same feels I felt but magnified x1000, and it really doesn't help that my visual memory is nearly photographic. So I remember every detail very clearly about each incident.

Last edited:

shpankey

not an idiot
If money isn't an issue, and forgetting is what works for you, can you manage a good vacation? Somewhere interesting and remote and life changing, like an African safari or Amazon adventure or something grand (I know I'm being silly, but you said money isn't an issue) but you get my drift... Your friend you speak of might be able to go with you? You would be outside and get good exercise and meet new and interesting people and get far away from all of your stresses.

I'm just throwing stuff out there based on what you're saying, but just know I only mean to help. :)

Last edited:

Blam

If money isn't an issue, and forgetting is what works for you, can you manage a good vacation? Somewhere interesting and remote and life changing, like an African safari or Amazon adventure or something grand (I know I'm being silly, but you said money isn't an issue) but you get my drift... Your friend you speak of might be able to go with you? You would be outside and get good exercise and meet new and interesting people and get far away from all of your stresses.

I'm just throwing stuff out there based on what you're saying, but just know I only mean to help. :)

Already done it. It helps, but even a week is not enough. And as much relief as I felt came right back.

Last edited:

Rising_Hei

From my personal experience: Get to know yourself much better, for real, and learn good habits to cope with your feelings.

Reevaluate your values so you get a healthy ones that will make you feel good about yourself; while also having certain degree of progression. Your thoughts, words and actions have to have a degree of concordance to feel really good.

Expand your universe and practise; play, watch, read anything that enrichs your inner world. You can't do this unless you do all this in a very pro-active way.

Think about how to get out of your comfort zone, gradually, doing things that you come up with or following advices from those you trust for real.
Get in touch with the outside world, slowly, with progression (like, stepping out of the comfort zone).

Don't hesitate to make adjustments about your private life and who you let in, without being rustless. Don't blame others too much even when you start realizing some obscure things about the true face of certain individuals; but realze that you might have to turn your world upside-down in this aspect. What i can tell you is, you need people close to you that know the real you for real; and that know that you might evolve and have progress within yourself; you'd want to avoid those that think they know you but really don't, and won't ever change their mind about what they think despite what you tell them (those are two different things)

Also, try to find someone that kind of have high levels of emotional intelligence and that have gone through the same stuff? or something alike, but, for real, in a way that you can see everything is real and there's validation from other people. (This is somewhat hard and it's usually unexpected when it happens, like, you naturally become friends with someone like this).

In general, get in touch with mindfulness and awareness, but in a way that's grounded (no "awakenings", the secret, and such; the law of attraction is crappy and can create monsters); learn to meditate, do martial arts or some kind of sport; take things costantly with the mindset of trial and error (but not being maniatic about it; keep it balanced). Learn a lot, about anything that interests you, put it into practise.

Those are some advices from my long, never ending journey ^^

Edit: Also, think about depression or any "condition" associated with overthinking like a sign that you need to get in touch with a more real version of yourself and with your surroundings. Normalize it, don't blame yourself for it and see it with accepting eyes; don't try to convince others too much about how they should treat you because you can't control how everybody sees you and how everybody treats you, but you can make evolution happen in your insides^_^

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
It’s mostly about being kind of vigilant. I try to stop myself when I exhibit behavior that I associate with it. Exercise, eating proper food. Cannabis is very helpful for me but it effects everyone differently so I tend not to advocate, but it does help me. Try to do something creative or constructive.

Blam

From my personal experience: Get to know yourself much better, for real, and learn good habits to cope with your feelings.

Reevaluate your values so you get a healthy ones that will make you feel good about yourself; while also having certain degree of progression. Your thoughts, words and actions have to have a degree of concordance to feel really good.

Expand your universe and practise; play, watch, read anything that enrichs your inner world. You can't do this unless you do all this in a very pro-active way.

Think about how to get out of your comfort zone, gradually, doing things that you come up with or following advices from those you trust for real.
Get in touch with the outside world, slowly, with progression (like, stepping out of the comfort zone).

Don't hesitate to make adjustments about your private life and who you let in, without being rustless. Don't blame others too much even when you start realizing some obscure things about the true face of certain individuals; but realze that you might have to turn your world upside-down in this aspect. What i can tell you is, you need people close to you that know the real you for real; and that know that you might evolve and have progress within yourself; you'd want to avoid those that think they know you but really don't, and won't ever change their mind about what they think despite what you tell them (those are two different things)

Also, try to find someone that kind of have high levels of emotional intelligence and that have gone through the same stuff? or something alike, but, for real, in a way that you can see everything is real and there's validation from other people. (This is somewhat hard and it's usually unexpected when it happens, like, you naturally become friends with someone like this).

In general, get in touch with mindfulness and awareness, but in a way that's grounded (no "awakenings", the secret, and such; the law of attraction is crappy and can create monsters); learn to meditate, do martial arts or some kind of sport; take things costantly with the mindset of trial and error (but not being maniatic about it; keep it balanced). Learn a lot, about anything that interests you, put it into practise.

Those are some advices from my long, never ending journey ^^

Edit: Also, think about depression or any "condition" associated with overthinking like a sign that you need to get in touch with a more real version of yourself and with your surroundings. Normalize it, don't blame yourself for it and see it with accepting eyes; don't try to convince others too much about how they should treat you because you can't control how everybody sees you and how everybody treats you, but you can make evolution happen in your insides^_^

You make it sound so easy, but I've tried so hard and I can't go anywhere with it. I mean fuck I can't even look at myself anymore. I don't feel like me, I don't look like the person I want to be, and I know that person is unachievable.

njean777

I usually workout, read, draw, play video games, meditate, or even drink to buzz level (never beyond). I know drinking isn't healthy but it does help me clear my mind in someway.

dagZ

sorry for the bump, but after her telling me right before new years that, she "thinks it's best if we leave each other in 2017", she emailed me this morning with a short email saying "i hope you are doing well". I didn't respond to the nye text, and I'm guessing she emailed me because she deleted my phone number.. I don't get this.

Blam

sorry for the bump, but after her telling me right before new years that, she "thinks it's best if we leave each other in 2017", she emailed me this morning with a short email saying "i hope you are doing well". I didn't respond to the nye text, and I'm guessing she emailed me because she deleted my phone number.. I don't get this.

Just block her she's is literally toying with your emotions. Don't give her another chance. If you have anything else of her contact info block all of it.

PtM

Banned
It means she hopes you are doing well. She wants you to recover.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Cut all contact for the sake of your sanity and focus on you for a while. Force yourself to stick to routines even if all you want to do is to seclude yourself from the world. Focus on activities that make you feel better about you. I've found learning new skills and exercising to be excellent for combating depression. Just do whatever you can to not feed never ending negativity cycles.

Artistic

Is there any loners on GAF like me? When I say "loner", I mean little to no interaction with people outside of family members, store/restaurant employees, or social media? If so, how do you deal with it?

Mainly asking because life has went to shit over the last 12 months or so and while I know what I want to do in order to turn the situation around, I really don't at the same time and seems like everyday is getting worse. Sucks seeing my friends and peers do so much better than me and can't help but think I messed up along the way.

Brizzo24

i'm struggling right now

Same. But only because I'm going though a lot right now. Getting a divorce, looking for a new job... those are HEAVY burdens. But i do work out and i do enjoy exercise. Luckily I live in So-Cal so it's always tolerable weather to get out and do things. I quit alcohol as it was harmful and a shitty coping mechanism. Coffee too. Once I started to take action on my life I became happier and healthier. I met a new girl but we've only had 1 date--I'd really like to see her again, so here's hoping.

Step out of your comfort zone. Do things that kinda scare ya and go against the norm. Challenge yourself. Pick up a new hobby or sport. Eat healthy, take vitamins and supplements. St John's Wort is a natural antidepressant.

Orpheum

Although i don't struggle with clinical depression, i have my depressed phases in which i really feel down, sad and unmotivated.

What helps me a lot is spending as much time as possible with my best friends with whom i'm able to talk about these issues. Also i try to focus on small "successes" in life. Got out of bed? Great! Did the dishes? even better! Made the bed and went out for grocery shopping? Good stuff! Set small goals for your day and be proud when you accomplish them.

dagZ

It's more so that I didn't want anyone else, but she said she's seeing someone else, so there's that. Time to get stronger and feel better about myself this year. small steps at a time.

USF

Two things helped me,
Minimalism and intermittent fasting.
Got rid of my clutter, managed my eating time and made time to go out for a walk everyday.

Try simplifying, your mind will be at ease and ready to live the present.
Hope this helps.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If you guys feel down, do you think its best to do other stuff and not focus on the things or the feeling of being down?

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
UPDATE 18th JANUARY 2018

I think we're probably OK for contact details now, I'll start updating the front page over the weekend. Obviously, if somebody knows that something has changed or is incorrect, let me know and I will update it.

------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I've been speaking to D dagZ and he's been kind enough to let us turn this into a more general thread about the topic in question as it's seemed to become that on it's own anyway. I've also made it a sticky so that people have easy access to it in Off-Topic if they need it.

What I'm planning on doing is adding contact information for organisations/help groups etc who could hopefully assist people who need help in this area, it's always useful to talk here but it's also worth remembering that we aren't professionals and that sometimes it will be best to talk to people who are.

What I'm asking people who use this thread to do is if you're able to send any information for these organisations to me via message and then I can add the details to the first page. Doing it that way should avoid people posting in the thread itself and maybe getting in the way of other people talking.

In the same way, I'd also ask people not to reply to this post, just to not take the thread off topic. I'm sure that people understand.

Of course, nobody has to do this but I would be grateful to anybody who was willing to help out in this way.

Thanks everybody. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member

Last edited by a moderator:

DryvBy

My mood swings have gotten more intense, and are seriously effecting my current lifestyle. I am going from sad to happy to angry to depressed, to every other fucking thing in the books.

You have depersonalization or disassociation more than likely. I had depersonalization for about ~2 years. I never went to a therapist or anything. I did things a little different.

How I felt was depressed, anxious, "not myself", that I was watching a movie of my life play out and I wasn't in any control. How I got over it was sleeping better, taking walks, prayer, talking it out with family/friends (the first time was the hardest), stopped using social media as much (there's actual studies that show people are more depressed staying on the internet too long), and making a life change like finally switching my job at the time. You also have to quit beating yourself up. Exercise helps too. I also never took a single pill to help.

It does fade away, even though I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes. And if you feel you need a therapist or something, go for it. Get your life back into your hands and face your demons. Make a change. Read books and (if you do) stop obsessing over other people's thoughts and make your own. Try to limit entertainment too.

Blam

You have depersonalization or disassociation more than likely. I had depersonalization for about ~2 years. I never went to a therapist or anything. I did things a little different.

How I felt was depressed, anxious, "not myself", that I was watching a movie of my life play out and I wasn't in any control. How I got over it was sleeping better, taking walks, prayer, talking it out with family/friends (the first time was the hardest), stopped using social media as much (there's actual studies that show people are more depressed staying on the internet too long), and making a life change like finally switching my job at the time. You also have to quit beating yourself up. Exercise helps too. I also never took a single pill to help.

It does fade away, even though I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes. And if you feel you need a therapist or something, go for it. Get your life back into your hands and face your demons. Make a change. Read books and (if you do) stop obsessing over other people's thoughts and make your own. Try to limit entertainment too.

Yeah I know it's pretty severe, some days I literally can't look at my self or any reflection of myself since it makes me scared, and some times nauseous. I rarely use social media anyways so that's not really effecting me that much. Exercise I'd love to do but with no mode of transportation, and frankly no drive or urge to want to goto it I don't feel like it. I went one day last year because I set this shit up with a friend and it died the next day since he had an infection and he couldn't work out.

Don't want to take drugs ever if possible. It's just not something I want. I hope it disappears. It pains me to know that I don't feel like myself at all. Therapists don't work that well if at all for me I've tried multiple, it's really hit or miss. I do miss reading books, it was fun being encapsulated into a book like that. And really I sorta can't not obsess over other people in general I'm really selfless and care more about the well being of others then I do myself.

Last edited:
as lame as this may sound, i just wish someone loved me

not even romantically, I'm just talking about simply giving a damn about my existence

JP

PleaseDontBanMe PleaseDontBanMe
There's nothing lame about things like this.

What I would say is that when you are depressed it distorts you view of yourself and the world and it universally manages to distort it for the worse. Obviously, I'm not in the position to sat whether somebody is depressed or not. You may find it helps to talk about stuff on here but have you also thought about talking to a professional?

shpankey

not an idiot
I've always universally found, more people care about us than we realize and in more ways than we realized. Unfortunately, this revelation isn't typically seen in normal everyday life but found in times of crisis.

Blam

I've always universally found, more people care about us than we realize and in more ways than we realized. Unfortunately, this revelation isn't typically seen in normal everyday life but found in times of crisis.

I can agree I didn't know how many of the people around me actually cared for me till I brokedown infront of them.

mrkgoo

I've always wondered why NeoGAF has so many depressed members, or is it just depressed people tend to join Video Game forums?

I think it's more that the anonymity of the internet allows for more people to be open about their struggles.

I basically see it as sort of the opposite, "good" side of the "greater internet theory: anonymity + audience = jerk" meme.

Dienekes

Moderator battling in the shade.
And really I sorta can't not obsess over other people in general I'm really selfless and care more about the well being of others then I do myself.
This is an incredible quality to have and makes you a very special person! Please know that. I hope you find a way to cope with this feeling you’re dealing with in whatever way works for you best. You’re a great poster on this forum and well liked by most if that tells you anything. Cut yourself some slack and try to remember what is so great about you to garner that kind of respect from others across the planet. Keep us up to date on your progress and how you’re doing and what if anything is working. Cheers mate!

Blam

This is an incredible quality to have and makes you a very special person! Please know that. I hope you find a way to cope with this feeling you’re dealing with in whatever way works for you best. You’re a great poster on this forum and well liked by most if that tells you anything. Cut yourself some slack and try to remember what is so great about you to garner that kind of respect from others across the planet. Keep us up to date on your progress and how you’re doing and what if anything is working. Cheers mate!

Thanks for this post it really means a lot to me to hear this. I know it's a really good quality to have. Just lately haven't been caring as much for myself as I have for others. It's a battle that I am fighting and I don't know who's gonna win.

Last edited:

Blam

I wanna at least say an update. I've been crying a lot more recently...

It's been tough since it would hit me hard on the weekends and small bursts during the weekday. But during the week I could control it till the weekends where I would just break down right around 11PMish. It's been happening since 2 weeks ago.

But it hurts quite a bit. Then after I feel better, but still. Has anyone else had this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom