• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MercurySteam (CV Lords of Shadow) pitched Metroid FPS to Nintendo for Wii U/3DS

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...king_on_a_metroid_prototype_for_wii_u_and_3ds

One enduring rumour that has quietly been circulating in the Spanish games industry is that MercurySteam, the studio behind Konami's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series, has been pitching a new entry in the Metroid series to Nintendo. After extensive digging and coordinating with contacts related to the project, we can now confirm this to be the case.

In late May, Nintendo Life learned the company began an effort to expand its staff for the game. As work on its proposal for a new Metroid game was under-way, MercurySteam was hoping to bring in a number of talented new developers hand-picked from other Spanish studios. Hiring calls were posted too as the search widened.

We have ascertained that work on a prototype for this unsolicited pitch was established earlier in the year, and had a full game been green-lit, it was planned to be developed for both Wii U and 3DS. It was being referred to internally as simply 'Metroid', and it has been described as a first person game set in a post apocalyptic sci-fi environment. In their demo, Samus was the main character - as you would expect - but was joined by seven other playable bounty hunters, as well. This is a similar set-up to that seen in the DS game, Metroid Prime: Hunters.

They go on to theorize that Nintendo likely turned down the pitch, and that it has been retooled to be an original IP based on the teaser that is currently on MercurySteam.com

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Lords of Shadow is among the most boring games I've played in the last several years, so I'm thrilled they're not getting their hands on Metroid.

Zalman

I'd much rather see Nintendo develop it internally. I'm also not sure they'd trust anyone after Other M.

BlueWord

Thank god this got rejected. I don't think the franchise could survive the one-two punch that would've been Other M followed by whatever half-baked pile Mercurysteam would've cooked up.

TheMoon

Bullet successfully dodged. Do not want.

Only chance it would've had was with Nintendo SPD supervision giving them shit until it was good. But why torture everyone.^^

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Believe
wii-u-leaked-games-rumor.jpg

i think the best way to approach Nintendo is talk Gameplay and not their IPs since their over protective. Nintendo is looking to expand what they have in terms of Gameplay or Nes ips
See the last story and devil third party

What an odd decision for MercurySteam to make. An unsolicited pitch to Nintendo from a Western studio? I'd imagine they'd have had to show something utterly exceptional to get anywhere with that, and it seems a high-risk approach unless the prototype wasn't so heavily Metroid-themed that it could be retooled into something else without much difficulty.

Give me scan visor results voiced by a bored Patirck Stewart and I'll take it.

If nothing else Mecury Steam could've whipped up some great looking environments.

Good god, does Mercury Steam have an agenda against the Metroidvania (sub?) genre, or why do they want to ruin both series that created it?

Keep those guys as far away as possible from everything that is or even slightly resembles a classic game franchise.

No problem with using the assets from the pitch for a new IP, though. I hope after the mediocre LoS, the not really good LoS and the really bad handheld abomination these guys realise that the quality needs to be there.

Their re-imagining of Castlevania was not enjoyable to me. It had nothing to do with the series I loved except for a shared name. I don't think I'd want to see their take on Metroid.

As a fan of LOS (and not so much LOS 2) I wouldnt mind it. Honestly I want a metroid game at this point I dont care who develops it within reason. MercurySteam is really not that bad ppl.

Forkball

I think Metroid should move back to being a third person game. Prime is great, but there are so many avenues to take with a third person Metroid.

KingBroly

Banned
As a fan of LOS (and not so much LOS 2) I wouldnt mind it. Honestly I want a metroid game at this point I dont care who develops it within reason. MercurySteam is really not that bad ppl.

See, this is the problem. When you start lowering your standards in terms of quality, bad things are bound to happen.

Dascu

From the stories, it sounds like most of the talent left during LoS2's development and that the studio head is not reliably competent. Probably for the best that this never happened.

Thank god they didnt. Its not only that they fucked up LoS2, theres too many drama and backstabbing inside mercury steam.

I wouldn't trust Nintendo with Metroid after Other M, tbh.

Not saying I'd trust MercurySteam, either, because I don't.

Ahhh, the old crying.
The guy fucked up once after a bunch of amazing games. Give it a rest.

KingBroly

Banned
Thank god they didnt. Its not only that they fucked up LoS2, theres too many drama and backstabbing inside mercury steam.

Ahhh, the old crying.
The guy fucked up once after a bunch of amazing games. Give it a rest.

One game that was pretty damn important and its' fuck up threw the series into question.

See, this is the problem. When you start lowering your standards in terms of quality, bad things are bound to happen.

Like this?

But really I understand what you mean. It's just at this point a war of internal attrition waiting for ninty execs to actually green-light something worthwhile.

ZeroX03

Banned
Lords of Shadow was fantastic, but that had little to do with any Metroidvania elements. And it does look like a good deal of the talent has left after the LoS2 fiasco.

Wouldn't mind Oscar Araujo taking a swing a Metroid/new IP equivalent music though, he's one of the best in the business.

also man am I sick of the "LoS isn't real Castlevania, they ruined it" bridgade, oh boy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd take anything over this Metroid Force thing on 3DS.

But really, I'd rather just wait for Retro to work on the game. Nobody does it better then they do, and I want a first person game.

Nere

Thank god Nintendo declined Lords of Shadow was nothing like a Castlevania game they wouldn't know how to make a real Metroid game.

tolkir

I don't know what to think, Oscar Araujo (composer of LoS) said he's working with a famous IP three weeks ago, but Metroid sounds a little random.

Even, that doesn't mean he is working with Mercury.

Golnei

Wouldn't mind Oscar Araujo taking a swing a Metroid/new IP equivalent music though, he's one of the best in the business.

I'd love to see what him or Olivier Deriviere could do on the series, if they were going with an external composer. If only that were anywhere near likely in a scenario without Mercurysteam...

hamchan

Sounds like a waste of effort when Nintendo already has Retro and other internal studios if they wanted another Metroid FPS.

ZeroX03

Banned
Did they though? Please elaborate.

Lords of Shadow is the highest selling game in the franchise, something people often neglect. It's probably more likely it saved the series.

LoS2 had a bunch of problems and didn't do well, plenty of that is on MercurySteam. Konami should have ponied up for a next gen port though, they practically sent it out to die.

Dremark

Banned
Lords of Shadow is the highest selling game in the franchise, something people often neglect. It's probably more likely it saved the series.

It also had an unheard of budget for development and marketing, was released on several platforms and had Hideo Kojima's name attached to it.

If I remember correctly it sold around a million copies which puts it in line with Circle if the Moon in sales.

Seems strange to pitch a FPS Metroid to Nintendo when Nintendo already has a studio that is capable of creating high quality FPS Metroid titles.

Perhaps their next pitch will be a 3d Zelda title.

ZeroX03

Banned
It also had an unheard of budget for development and marketing, was released on several platforms and had Hideo Kojima's name attached to it.

If I remember correctly it sold around a million copies which puts it in line with Circle if the Moon in sales.

According to MercurySteam, it had a mid sized budget.

Circle of the Moon was nine years prior. Do people think Konami would have kept making Igavanias (I'm aware CotM isn't one btw) if they didn't greenlight LoS? They weren't exactly setting the sales charts on fire, LoS kept the series alive for two more installments.

KingBroly

Banned
Like this?

But really I understand what you mean. It's just at this point a war of internal attrition waiting for ninty execs to actually green-light something worthwhile.

Given how Scott Moffit described it, it seems like it's a series that they make games of off of a whim and have no real direction or care for quality, probably due to not-so-stellar sales. The Prime games were really the only time Metroid stood still and created a lot of extra love and admiration for the series.

I wouldn't be surprised if they internally killed Metroid after Other M's flop but after backlash and uproar decided to slap together something for it.

KainXVIII

I'm the only one who wants Other M 2? And i don't mind Metroid FPS from MS (but not in Prime series - it has to be Retro!)

Top Bottom