• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising 2 happening? Kojima visits PG, Dinner Meeting with Kamiya & Minami

Gun Animal

2020: People are sick of any game with the words "Metal Gear" in it.

Metal Gear has existed only six years less than Mario (Donkey Kong). I feel like the franchise is past the point where it'll ever stop being sequelized. It's definately due for a reboot soon, however.

DieH@rd

Banned
Grey Fox: Revengeance - Coop game with playable Raiden and Gray Fox. How they are brought together into one game set in a post-MGS4 world?

Nanomachines son.

Sayter

Metal Gear has existed only six years less than Mario (Donkey Kong). I feel like the franchise is past the point where it'll ever stop being sequelized. It's definately due for a reboot soon, however.

True. My point was that if there's a annual sequel people may be put off by it. While the Donkey Kong character has been around longer how many games with DK as the main character come out every year? My hope is that Metal Gear is around a long time. But as completely new and exciting gameplay like MGSV and DKTF. Those things take time and shouldn't be rush. Just my opinion. :)

For me MGR and MGS are different enough that they can coexist and bring more fans into the craziness and awesomeness that is Metal Gear. I love both for very different reasons.

Westraid

Yes please! I absolutely loved MGR, gameplay was just so much fun! Had a total blast with it and hoped for a sequel. Wouldn't mind Gray Fox but prefer Raiden by far.

Gun Animal

Grey Fox: Revengeance - Coop game with playable Raiden and Gray Fox. How they are brought together into one game set in a post-MGS4 world?

Nanomachines son.

I could write a better retcon than that! Watch: Naomi Hunter, saddened by the death of her adopted brother Frank Jaeger, secretly used Strangelove's research into AI personality replication along with her own research to create an AI replica of Frank Yaeger. When she took data from Otacon's computer, she also took the data she needed to finish the Frank Yaeger AI: Emma Emmerich's AI research. She was able to complete the AI before she died, and then the Desperado PMC used her AI as the basis for their LQ-A4i AI prototype. Boom! Bladewolf was Grey Fox this whole time! Boom! Raiden attends Solid Snake's funeral with Bladewolf, which causes Bladewolf's secret Frank Yaeger persona to reappear. Doktor creates a new android body for Frank/Bladewolf/Grey Fox and then Raiden and Grey Fox go hunt nanomachine zombies together.

Ushiwaka

I'm sure there were some ideas that couldn't make it to the final game due to the short deadline. Those are the things I'm most excited to see. Of course the weapon switching system needs to be changed and we need more aerial combat.

Do it!

It pretty much was my favourite game that year.

Bring back the wall runs that were removed from the final game. That looked pretty swanky.

Akiller

or they're already working on it and Kojima just checks if everything is good.

Speaking of ZOE. Goddamn yeah, the artwork they've shown looked so awesome.

but the game got cancelled because the HD collection sold like shit...

enders_project_06_thumb.jpg

endersproject2.png

Enders-Project_4G_01.jpg

Enders-Project_4G_02.jpg

*cries* Hopefully they go back to it in the future.

*thinks about the project's been cancelled*
*flips my table*
*fixs the table*
*flips it again*

Dryk

More George?

George: "Oi Sunny! Yuh make mi head spin, ya know. Yuh genius gyal, and yuh hot fah days!"
MGR2's main character is Sunny and George's kid who has a cyborg body capable of space flight (for the SHMUP sections (which are still sword only))

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
MGR was amazing, so a sequel would be great. Though if there's one it should have a proper tutorial, as I couldn't get the hang of the first one until I watched a Youtube video explaining some tips.

ArjanN

I think they should give Tamari another chance. MGR's lack of pretense was refreshing, and that tone over a more elaborate narrative would be a good direction for the sequel to pursue. Plus, he gave us Armstrong.

(The localisation team absolutely has to be kept the same as well. I don't want to live in the universe that would have given us "Nanomachines, of course.")

IMO MGR had a better story than MGS4. There's a lot of cheesy stuff in there but it's all clearly intentional.

I also think a lot of people overlooked a lot of the codec stuff which is like 80% of the story, and is generally really well-written.

Jawmuncher

I could write a better retcon than that! Watch: Naomi Hunter, saddened by the death of her adopted brother Frank Jaeger, secretly used Strangelove's research into AI personality replication along with her own research to create an AI replica of Frank Yaeger. When she took data from Otacon's computer, she also took the data she needed to finish the Frank Yaeger AI: Emma Emmerich's AI research. She was able to complete the AI before she died, and then the Desperado PMC used her AI as the basis for their LQ-A4i AI prototype. Boom! Bladewolf was Grey Fox this whole time! Boom! Raiden attends Solid Snake's funeral with Bladewolf, which causes Bladewolf's secret Frank Yaeger persona to reappear. Doktor creates a new android body for Frank/Bladewolf/Grey Fox and then Raiden and Grey Fox go hunt nanomachine zombies together.

I would be all over that.

Golnei

IMO MGR had a better story than MGS4. There's a lot of cheesy stuff in there but it's all clearly intentional.

I also think a lot of people overlooked a lot of the codec stuff which is like 80% of the story, and is generally really well-written.

I agree - while the main plot wasn't particularly intriguing, the setting the game depicts is really fascinating - the juxtaposition of Ghost-in-the-Shell calibre cybernetics and Metal Gear melodrama with the surprisingly grounded perspectives of the support cast, tons of in-universe fluff and a sense of scope that made space for the civilian world alongside the cyberpunk-ish military fantasy and requisite conspiracies helped to make MGR's world feel much more immersive than the vast majority of Metal Gear games, even if it happens to be the one with the most transparently ridiculous premise.

my personal list of what's need to happen with MGR2

1: Better camera
2: Better tutorials
3: More streamlined controls (switching weapons etc)
4: More varied enemy, weapon, modification, unlock-able types
5: Much longer, better designed , better paced levels (certain parts felt extremely rushed)
6: Better visual IQ
7: More Blade Wolf (possible like a Shadow Dander companion type)
8: Online game modes
9: More Kojima Productions involvement in story/cinematics/dialogue.

Nyoro SF

5: Much longer, better designed , better paced levels (certain parts felt extremely rushed)

I agree with pretty much all of this except for the online, I don't feel that investing in the online of this game past leaderboards is really worth it. Most online in games like this that aren't built around the online concept die immediately.

BadWolf

The main thing they need to get rid of in the sequel is the damn stick wiggling to get our of dizzy.

That was some bullshit.

Enjay

Banned
I really really hope I didn't forget to type this out on that official survey they had a while ago but if they really do make a MGR 2, please put in more Blade Wolf!

Foxt3r

10: More Sam

*Fix

I agree with pretty much all of this except for the online, I don't feel that investing in the online of this game past leaderboards is really worth it. Most online in games like this that aren't built around the online concept die immediately.
I hear that, I just thought some stuff like special online co-op levels and/or VR mission modes could work while effectively shutting "no online, no buy" kids up.
Foxter said:
more swag is always appreciated.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They could do more with the Blade Mode in terms of enemy variety. Rather than have every enemy have the same zandatsu hitbox, have some have three spots that need to be hit to severely weaken them or have enemies with armored spots over their hearts that need to be slashed three times or whatever. At least vary the placement. The boss fights did some of this, but it was so infrequent a lot of people hit a roadblock at Armstrong when he throws the debris at you.

Top Bottom