• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising E3 Demo Title Screen

Kinyou

Well you see the guy cut in two in one scene, while with other enemies you see the usual stuff, you hit them, hit animation starts, enemy still in one piece.

Do not like really, should be one slash, one cut every time.
Now I get what you mean. They had to change that since they realized that you basically can't integrate interesting gameplay into a game where you can kill everything with on strike.

I'm sure we'll see this E3 how the final cutting mechanic will work.

Gbraga

I just hope they have an official stage demo. Just watching casuals with shaky offscreen footage will be boring

-Amon-

They had to change that since they realized that you basically can't integrate interesting gameplay into a game where you can kill everything with on strike.

Can't really understand what's the reasoning behind this. I'm still waiting for a new Bushido blade. That's what should happen with blades.

rvy

Banned
That's what he is doing in the gif.

scaled.php

I'm sure this is what he means. Same concept, completely different execution.

Can't really understand what's the reasoning behind this. I'm still waiting for a new Bushido blade. That's what should happen with blades.

ninja gaiden 2 360 seemed to capture it pretty well.

limbs and blood fucking everywhere, enemies can kill you just as quick

StuBurns

Banned
Those specific slices used to be because you had to slice robots and steal their battery-spines. Now it's just a straight up slaughter. No need for that super slow slicing.

Gbraga

scaled.php

This is still in the game, but I'm guessing it has some kind of meter attached to it, it would be too broken to be able to do it all the time in this kind of game.

You can see it in action on their documentary.

Damn, those graphics were so awesome

scaled.php

Well, as already stated before. It's a delayed dismemberment. You can see that in many Samurai Movies or even Power Rangers. The hero slices an enemy into pieces and after he puts his sword back into the sheath, he falls apart.

that slow slicing shit looks functionally useless.

Exactly. That's how it should be with blades, at least someone should try that.

i know you acknowledge my last post, but I really don't think you've played NG2 on the 360...it's got all that kind of slicing action and gore. Unless you want every slash to be physiologically accurate, like if the sword slash goes across, the guy has a huge vertical slice in him.

Kinyou

The only thing I'm missing is this. The way that really every single strike already cuts someones body part of.

The "control exactly where you cut" still seems to be in the platinum game.

-Amon-

that slow slicing shit looks functionally useless.

Probably because you have to go slomo to give the user the time to decide the direction of the cut.

but i was not talking about that. My gripe not only with this game but with the vast majority of games with blades is the effect of the hit on the target.

You see the target as if was hit by a punch, not cut with a blade.

This particular game, considering what we saw about it in the past, looked as if it could be the one with a realistic reaction to cuts.

Akainu

Yeah, but isn't that the reason why they turned him into his MGS4 self?

I was convinced at least, he was pretty awesome. And I'm not that into over the top stuff
The thing is even in MGS4 Raiden was a pretty sad broken person he just did cool looking things.

-Amon-

yeah, but...it looks functionally useless. it looks like a QTE, but longer+slower.

Did you play Max Payne ? If yes, imagine that mechanic implemented as bullet time, used to evade enemy attacks ( parry projectiles and deflect blade strikes with your blade ) and cut enemy down.

Gbraga

The thing is even in MGS4 Raiden was a pretty sad broken person he just did cool looking things.

So they don't want a cool character, but a badass, because I can't see how being sad makes him not cool, if anything, makes the character more interesting.

Did you play Max Payne ? If yes, imagine that mechanic implemented as bullet time, used to evade enemy attacks ( parry projectiles and deflect blade strikes with your blade ) and cut enemy down.

but there's no enemy attack happening, it's a dead dude standing there while you slice him up.

cool for a quick finisher, even better if there was still some risk/reward at work, but fuck no to that slow-mo stuff.

Akainu

So they don't want a cool character, but a badass, because I can't see how being sad makes him not cool, if anything, makes the character more interesting.
I guess I'm saying wasn't he badass in MGS2. Besides being a cyborg what made you think him more cool.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I guess I'm saying wasn't he badass in MGS2. Besides being a cyborg what made you think him more cool.

His added confidence and purpose in MGS4 made him a lot cooler. He went from being a stereotypical rookie to someone who knew exactly what they were doing and how to accomplish it. He was much more determined and I liked that. Plus, getting rid of the "do you know what day it is?" trash with Rose helped a lot. That stuff seemed to be more of why people didn't like him in 2.

Akainu

His added confidence and purpose in MGS4 made him a lot cooler. He went from being a stereotypical rookie to someone who knew exactly what they were doing and how to accomplish it. He was much more determined and I liked that. Plus, getting rid of the "do you know what day it is?" trash with Rose helped a lot. That stuff seemed to be more of why people didn't like him in 2.
I don't know if I would call it confidence maybe straight up being suicidal in his actions and attitude. That other stuff was more Rose's fault no?

-Amon-

I don't know if I would call it confidence maybe straight up being suicidal in his actions and attitude. That other stuff was more Rose's fault no?

Well the way Raiden responded to Rose's bitching in MGS2 is, at least for me, the number one reason why i hated him so much in that game.

MGS4 Raiden is a total different man.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

People didn't like him in 2 because he was whiny and indecisive. Nor was he a particularly nice guy to his girlfriend. Or funny. Or likeable.

I'm a MGS whore through and through, this game isn't giving me a good feeling. =/

It's really not specifically catering to MGS fans.

SonnyBoy

People didn't like him in 2 because he was whiny and indecisive. Nor was he a particularly nice guy to his girlfriend. Or funny. Or likeable.

Nor did anyone expect to play with him for the entire game. It to the last moment, I was hoping that Snake would come in and be playable for an additional few levels.

Floex

Of course it is. Why have the focus on Raiden at all then?

The reason he is the main focus because of how awesome he was to watch in 4. You wanted to play those segments where he was taken down mech after mech, doing all this crazy shit onscreen. That is the reason why this game exists and I'm more than happy that it is an extension of the MGS universe.

Top Bottom