• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Jetstream DLC |OT| Show Me A Good Time, Platinum

Don't blame MS, blame ScraftyDevil.

What the FUCK ScraftyDevil?

CrappyDevil. :mad:

tumblr_lach581f801qd2avdo1_500.gif

Blame Joystiq if anybody.

How long is it? The main game was already shorter than I would have liked so I hope this provides a decent amount of time for the $10 they're charging.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
How long is it? The main game was already shorter than I would have liked so I hope this provides a decent amount of time for the $10 they're charging.

Took me about an hour on normal difficulty, didn't do any of the VR missions. Not very long at all, but the last boss made me realize that I haven't played in a long time
fuck you armstrong

Vodh

IDK, from what people are saying it seems to be just one chapter, but roughly as long as two chapters from the game. Paid 40 quid for the game, have absolutely zero issues with paying 20% of that for making the game about 30% longer.

JUST RELEASE IT ON EU PSN.

RangerBAD

Good hard or shitty hard (like getting gang-raped by Mastiffs etc)?

Possibly like, "Iai slashes are so cool I don't want to parry!" I noticed that on that Chinese or Taiwanese stream that the guy wouldn't parry and then finally did and he beat the boss.

TheOGB

Banned
Goddamn the ending, I know we all know the guys are crazy, but they are batshit insane!

Good fun. Sam felt pretty different than Raiden, which was good, but took me about 3/4ths of the mission to get used to. I tried charging attacks a few times too many, leading to attacks that I could've stopped to parry landing. Only played through the sidescrolling VR mission.

I'll probably go through it again soon to get better than a C. :p

Defunkled

Sam plays COMPLETELY different from Raiden. His entire move set is different and will definitely take some getting used to. He's hella faster, too.

Llyranor

I like what I'm reading. I'll grab a 20$ PSN card for this and Shinobi PS2/PSN.

Hold that, that'll be enough, right? No dumb tax or anything, right?

katkombat

Banned
Sounds like fun on Hard, can't wait!
Have fun I'm jelly of your skills haha.
Good to hear, revengeance is going to be awesome!

Oherwise does Sam have unlockables?

Not sure. I haven't been able to access the codec yet so I'm not sure if I'll be able to. Otherwise I'm clueless.

Good hard or shitty hard (like getting gang-raped by Mastiffs etc)?

I just suck so take that for what you will... (That and it's way different than raiden and I haven't played in...a while to say the least.)

Has anyone else noticed that when flattened against it by an attack, Sam can bounce off the friggin' wall?!

That is actually the best thing ever. Purchase validated.

Sam is pretty hard to use, especially if you are used to Raiden.

First, he has none of the "automatic" offense Raiden has. He doesn't dash to chase after enemies that aren't in sword range when you press square (I suspect because they didn't have enough animations to fill in for that) so you'll have to chase after enemies pretty proactively. Also, the block and parry windows are much smaller as far as I can tell, I'm playing it on Hard to get a hang of things and the "parry as soon as you see orange and you'll be okay" rule doesn't seem to stick. Also, his square buttons are attack combos, not the "infinite swings" that Raiden has.

His charging doesn't have armor (atleast on the moves I've tested), and I haven't really figured out all the nuances of it, but it doesn't seem to have as much utility as the pincer charging even if it has more variety. I think the real benefit is crowd control and covering distance, both of which seem difficult for Sam with just his regular attacks.

Also, his dodge is different, and it has quicker startup and recovery, but less range and less invul. frames than Raiden's (due to the shorter duration). I don't think it'll have the same utility as Raiden's dodge slash, and even with the shorter startup I found it much harder to use since it doesn't move far enough or long enough to avoid a lot of stuff. You can't just back dodge out of a crowd of sword cyborgs like you can with Raiden.

His new air mobility is interesting, but I haven't experimented much.

Edit:

Okay, blade mode canceling is THE thing to do with Sam. I didn't find much utility with it with Raiden since he's so OP anyways, but it's vital to cancel out of charged moves with Sam because those have recovery you can't dodge-cancel out of.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh my god. Amazing!
They tie the chopper/motorcycle Raiden uses to "Escape Denver" to Sam as he rides it to Maverick HQ.

I really like how Sam plays. The extra air options and all the charging moves feel great, although it amplifies the wily camera issues tenfold against fast enemies.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Today I learned the future has invisible phones.

UFRA

Oh my god. Amazing!
They tie the chopper/motorcycle Raiden uses to "Escape Denver" to Sam as he rides it to Maverick HQ.

I said out loud, "oh my god, no way!" when I saw this. So cool.

Also, VR mission 2 is kicking my ass.

HardRojo

I was ready to play this today since I had $7.xx on my account and now I come home just to find out it's actually $10? Will get it anyway but not today, gonna get Bayonetta for Anarchy Reigns instead.

Glad to read Sam plays very differently by the way, this DLC is going to be a blast!

I wonder if they'll pack the DLC together somewhere down the road. Would like to grab this and blade wolf at the same time.

Does it have fully voiced cutscenes and the like, or is it pretty much one hour of pure gameplay?

Okay seriously; screw the boss of this DLC to the moon and back. He has got to be one of the most gorram frustrating bosses of all time. He has the nasty habit of following up just about every attack with three attempts at his homing, unblockable grab and Sam does such pitiful damage that it takes like 10 minutes just to get his health from 50% down to 10%. The closest I've ever gotten to beating him is 0.02%, but then he pulls out some bullcrap homing shockwave at point blank which stuns me and proceeds to beat a bar and a half out of me.

This is some Grade-A idiocy here, guys. I've spent more time on this one fight than the entire level, which is not a good sign. If the Bladewolf DLC's boss is this obnoxiously cheap, I may just skip it.

/salt

TheSeks

I wonder if they'll pack the DLC together somewhere down the road. Would like to grab this and blade wolf at the same time.

Does it have fully voiced cutscenes and the like, or is it pretty much one hour of pure gameplay?

It has cutscenes. No codec or customization, so no wigs. Good fucking luck getting through Revengence in an hour. :lol

You have to recollect fuel cells and health packs as well but those seem pretty easy to find so far. VR missions have to be found, dunno if you can play them outside of this story bit.

That said, Sam plays fundamentally different from Raiden. I dunno how to play him too well yet but
Bladewolf
kicked my ass at good fifty times until I got past. So: DO NOT PLAY HARD UNLESS YOU ARE EXTREMELY CONFIDENT YOU CAN BEAT IT right now. Start on at least Normal to get a feel for Sam before going that way because good lord Hard is kicking my ass hardcore with the change-up of battle between Raiden and Sam.

Sam's regular sword strikes don't stagger enemies, it seems. It's a problem with sword cyborgs since they'll MvC Hulk super armor their way through your attacks, or trade with charged moves which is even more infuriating.

Also, is it just me or does Sam not have dodge offset?

TheSeks

Also, is it just me or does Sam not have dodge offset?

He does, it's a summersault? Problem is the camera freaks the fuck out and Sam does too little damage on higher difficulties to where you're going to be eating attacks while rolling around like a lunatic without attacking.

TP

Okay seriously; screw the boss of this DLC to the moon and back. He has got to be one of the most gorram frustrating bosses of all time.

So: DO NOT PLAY HARD UNLESS YOU ARE EXTREMELY CONFIDENT YOU CAN BEAT IT right now. Start on at least Normal to get a feel for Sam before going that way because good lord Hard is kicking my ass hardcore with the change-up of battle between Raiden and Sam.

I'm getting excited

He does, it's a summersault? Problem is the camera freaks the fuck out and Sam does too little damage on higher difficulties to where you're going to be eating attacks while rolling around like a lunatic without attacking.

No I meant being able to dodge in the middle of attack strings and resuming them, I'm going to test it right now.

Found a youtube of how to air combo with Sam, pretty situational but I'm waiting for more tech. So far I haven't come up with anything especially cool to do with Sam.

kunkun

Neo Member
I just finished my run, clear time 1:30-ish on hard. If you have VH and REV unlocked you can choose to start on those too if you're feeling crazy.

Gameplay is different, jumping off walls, charge attacks, and dash square/triangle attacks, very fun but oh so so different.
Closing distance safely and handling armored enemies proved quite challenging, Raiden is so OP.

I was having problems figuring out how to take on armored cyborgs without brute force smacking them and trading parries or kiting and full charge which would usually stagger them.
Kiting and full charging was my main strategy when taking on the UG's raptors mastiffs gekkos and grads. It worked prety well for me here not sure how it would handle with VH or REV.

Lots to collect and look for as all the fuel cell and life upgrades are scattered across the level. There are also more data storage to collect and I think I found one humanoid gekko so there might be more.
I managed to find all fuel cell and am missing 1 life upgrade. So Sam should have 200% and 5 fuel cell gauges.

Now about the VR-missions, they are RANKED BATTLES, all 5 of them. The first 4 are eliminate all enemies and the last one is head to waypoint.
Once you start a VR you'll see it checkpoint at the bottom and you can retry as many times as you like and I don't think you can leave not sure about that.

Glad to see the boss fights were slightly different here than with Raiden, the bosses seem to have there AI tweaked a bit feels more agressive.
Last boss is also worse here than it is with Raiden, did not know how to efficiently dish out damage all I was doing was spamming charges.
And his golden charge punch you cannot double jump to evade as all hes gonna do is fly straight up for you, BULLSHIT.

S-ranking this is going to be hellish.
$10 well spent for me.

I finally beat that salty guttersnipe, but I had to revert back to my old strategy of endless spamming launcher and hoping for the best. Jesus.

The main DLC was tons of fun, but I don't think I ever want to fight that boss again. JP, can you confirm that this boss is not the final boss of Bladewolf's campaign? I want to buy it, but this level of frustration isn't good for my health.

The final boss of this was really tough on Hard. I think he'll end up being the hardest boss in the game on Revengeance.

HE IS. THERE. MYSTERY SOLVED. NO ONE ELSE HAS TO SUFFER NOW.

WASH AWAY THE ANGER

...Screw it; I'm going musical.

HERE I STAND BENEATH THE WARM AND SOOTHING RAIN
THE DROPLETS FALLING GENTLY DOWN ON THE TERRAIN
WASH AWAY THE SORROW OF THE STAINS OF TIME
BUT THERE'S NO MEMORY, IT'S ONLY DRY INSIDE

IN THE MUD I'M SINKIN' DEEPER
INTO A PEACEFUL LIFE

AND IT WILL FLOW
LIKE A FLOOD OF RAIN
POURIN' DOWN ON ME
AND IT WILL NOT LET UP
UNTIL THE END IS HERE

AND IT WILL GLOW
THROUGH THE DARKEST DAY
IN THE FINAL HOUR
AND IT WILL NEVER REST
UNTIL THE CLOUDS ARE CLEAR

UNTIL IT FINDS MY DREAMS
AND DISAPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-EEEEEEEEEEAARS

Got to the results screen. My first playthrough took around three hours on hard, and I died 45 times.

I think I like Sam more than Raiden. I prefer his distinct attack strings and his extra mobility options are really fun to use (although I wish there had been more combat situations that allowed for them, I guess that would require the whole game to be built around Sam. Here's to hoping that Raiden can double jump and air dash in Rising 2 if it ever gets made.)

Sam's damage output seems to be low compared to Raiden's. I had a lot of trouble against Mastiffs and GRADs because it took forever to kill them. But I do like that you don't have to upgrade your weapon's strength; that's one of the things I dislike most about Rising.

I found all the VR missions, but I couldn't do number 4. I made it to what I assume was the final wave and died.

The bosses were all fun. Bladewolf and RAY felt more like actual bosses instead of a miniboss and tutorial, and I especially liked the new RAY fight. The last boss was a lot harder than Raiden's equivalent because of Sam's shorter dodge and the lack of QTE stuff (which I really appreciated). I hope Bladewolf's stage doesn't have the same final boss, but I do hope it's equivalent in difficulty.

The taunt is amazing.

TP

Looks like the DLC added 8 new titles to unlock

i'd appreciate it if you guys could post the ones you've unlocked

Okay, just beat it. 1:35 completion.

Sam has no dodge offset.
Armstrong
is a double dose of total bullshit.

Going to have to go back in and figure out how to actually play Sam.

Edit: Taunt is the best thing ever, and this just confirms it. We told everyone that when DmC came around.

Could you spoil your spoilers? Shit man.... D: Lots of people haven't played the DLC yet :mad:
Okies

Sajjaja

Okay, just beat it. 1:35 completion.

Sam has no dodge offset.
Armstrong
is a double dose of total bullshit.

Going to have to go back in and figure out how to actually play Sam.

Edit: Taunt is the best thing ever, and this just confirms it. We told everyone that when DmC came around.

Could you spoil your spoilers? Shit man.... D: Lots of people haven't played the DLC yet :mad:

Top Bottom