• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

preta

Beat the game, now I'm sad it's over. I wish Zero was able to be released before the Cold Steel port but I am happy to get more sooner rather than later.

Also, does CS spoil a lot from Zero?

No, CS spoils nothing from Zero. It does spoil some stuff from Ao, but Ao spoils about equally as much from CS/CS2, so it's fine to play CS/2 first if you don't want to wait for a localization or for the fan translation to be finished.

c1d

No, it was just a random post he made in here.
Hope it happens, though. He did well fixing Little King's Story and he knows what PC gamers want in their ports, being one himself.
Yeah I got excited there for a second.

Moon Door 3
Leo and Lucy are totally suspicious.
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this door given I'm not Kloe's biggest fan.

I like Kloe and found that door to be pretty boring tbh. She had some good interactions with
Lechter
though, wonder what's up with him.

vall03

What's the recommended level for the final dungeon? Is it straightforward or is there something I should be wary of? Currently at the point of no return, and I'm just trying to complete Doors that I've missed then I'll start it right away.

What's the recommended level for the final dungeon? Is it straightforward or is there something I should be wary of? Currently at the point of no return, and I'm just trying to complete Doors that I've missed then I'll start it right away.

don't worry about it, you can level up pretty quickly in the final dungeon, the ennemies in there are quite easy and give a lot of XP

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
You can reach level 130 extremely fast in the penultimate dungeon, and the final one will easily get you to 140. You can go 3-4 levels beyond that in both cases, but it's probably not worth the effort even for your A team.
I see, thanks! I guess party comp doesn't matter as well?
Gameplay tips for the final dungeon without story spoilers follow.
You will have to put together 4 parties. Having a dedicated healer and someone who can cast Zodiac in each one helps. Before challenging the final boss you may want to make Kevin's party immune to Faint and Freeze.

vall03

You can reach level 130 extremely fast in the penultimate dungeon, and the final one will easily get you to 140. You can go 3-4 levels beyond that in both cases, but it's probably not worth the effort even for your A team.

Gameplay tips for the final dungeon without story spoilers follow.
You will have to put together 4 parties. Having a dedicated healer and someone who can cast Zodiac in each one helps. Before challenging the final boss you may want to make Kevin's party immune to Faint and Freeze.

Oh nice! Thanks for the tips then! Looks like I'll have to farm a bit of quartz to unlock slots for some characters. I've actually ignored a lot of them during the whole game lol.

Oreiller

Oh nice! Thanks for the tips then! Looks like I'll have to farm a bit of quartz to unlock slots for some characters. I've actually ignored a lot of them during the whole game lol.

You can actually earn quite a lot of sepith in the last dungeon, and you can unlock slots and buy quartz there. It's still better to have decent parties before going there though.

Ascheroth

In case you missed this, in Chapter 6
there are I think 3 1000 sepith 'secret spots' in the research facility.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
There is also an accessory (don't remember the name, I'm afraid) that gives the wearer the Sepith Up effect on every turn. Put it on, drop a multi-hit AoE art or craft like Aerial or Hurricane on a group of enemies and watch the sepith flow.

No, CS spoils nothing from Zero. It does spoil some stuff from Ao, but Ao spoils about equally as much from CS/CS2, so it's fine to play CS/2 first if you don't want to wait for a localization or for the fan translation to be finished.

Alright, that's good to know!

Marow

Currently a bit in on chapter 2. I really liked the beginning of the game, but it already feels a bit routine - more than SC did. That said, I'm enjoying it greatly and look forward to what else it brings to the table.

Diablos54

After weeks of delays I've finally been able to get this! Only on chapter 1 so far but it still feels like the good old TitS I used to know and love. I assume even despite its different structure I should still be on the look out for NPC's, books and the like?

This is my first Trails game I've played on an actual T.V. and I'm quite surprised how good it actually looks the shadows popped out at me straight away, especially considering my laptop is about 7 years old!

After weeks of delays I've finally been able to get this! Only on chapter 1 so far but it still feels like the good old TitS I used to know and love. I assume even despite its different structure I should still be on the look out for NPC's, books and the like?

Not really. The dialogue of your party members hanging out back in the base will change between story events, and some of the side story doors let you do a little more NPC conversation, but there are no secret books to find or anything like that.

Diablos54

Not really. The dialogue of your party members hanging out back in the base will change between story events, and some of the side story doors let you do a little more NPC conversation, but there are no secret books to find or anything like that.
Hmm thanks, well okay all I can do is keep playing and see how I feel I guess!

I think the Carnelia books are missable, though. A friend of mine left collecting them for the last chapter and she just couldn't find the Carnelia collection where they should be.

Try checking the large bookshelf
(where Kevin and Ries woke up in the base}
after every chapter, Diablos54.

Zhao_Yun

Close to the end of Chapter 6 and I am loving it thus far.

Really enjoyed the boss fights against
Cassius and the 3 Enforcers. The Moment "Silver Will Super Arrange Version" and "Fateful Confrontation" started playing I got so fired up! :D

Now looking forward to the last boss in Chapter 6 who I assume will be
Loewe.

How close am I to the end now? Still 10 hours to go or less/more?

Ascheroth

Close to the end of Chapter 6 and I am loving it thus far.

Really enjoyed the boss fights against
Cassius and the 3 Enforcers. The Moment "Silver Will Super Arrange Version" and "Fateful Confrontation" started playing I got so fired up! :D

Now looking forward to the last boss in Chapter 6 who I assume will be
Loewe.

How close am I to the end now? Still 10 hours to go or less/more?
10 hours is probably a decent estimate, maybe a little less even.

Btw for the boss fights against
Cassius and the Enforcers, did you have Renne in your team? She has some great dialog with them.

Zhao_Yun

10 hours is probably a decent estimate, maybe a little less even.

Btw for the boss fights against
Cassius and the Enforcers, did you have Renne in your team? She has some great dialog with them.

Had her on the Team in the fight against the enforcers, but I went for Estelle & Joshua for Cassius. Might need to replay that fight with other characters :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Question about the first star door:
Do I get anything for beating Meuller?
Because I got my ass whooped.

Is the fight in Star Door 1 with
Julia vs Mueller
even possible on nightmare? I'm playing on normal and squeaked by it with 2k HP and no EP left. Can't imagine how that would be possible if the opponent were even stronger.

I got my ass handed to me as well and that was only on normal. How the hell did you beat him on normal? He uses his S-Craft not once but TWICE!!!!!!! Please tell me you don't obtain anything super kickass for beating him, because i don't want to sit through all that dialog again.

On another note, may be a dumb question but how many chapters are there in this game?

Ascheroth

I got my ass handed to me as well and that was only on normal. How the hell did you beat him on normal? He uses his S-Craft not once but TWICE!!!!!!! Please tell me you don't obtain anything super kickass for beating him, because i don't want to sit through all that dialog again.

On another note, may be a dumb question but how many chapters are there in this game?
Nah, you don't get anything I think. Probably only the dialog will be a little different afterwards, but that should be it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Use mirageberg on turn one if you go first, that blocks his s craft. Use regular attacks and your s craft when available. Don't use sbreak because it is slower, unless it will finish him off. Heal with tearal when you HP is low.

The next optional fight actually has a reward, and it is a little tougher.
I only won it with a little luck at the end.

Fou-Lu

I am only a few hours in
just got Joshua (who seems as OP as ever)
but man this game has a ridiculous amount of party members, I know of at least four more based on people I need to enter doors.

I am really loving the structure, really lets the combat system shine where it didn't as much in FC and SC.

So I just did Anelace's Star Door,
Rean's master being Anelace's grandfather and Cassius' mentor was surprising, maybe it was mentioned in CS1 or CS2 but if it was I don't remember (still haven't finished CS2 though)
I lost the fight but I'm assuming there's a reward for winning, not sure if I'm willing to go through all that dialog every time I lose though, even with the speed hack, I'm playing on hard so I'm not sure how many attempts it'll take, it's gonna be pretty close with the limited amount of items, does the gear she has equipped before going into the door make a difference? (stupid question in hindsight, I know gear and orbments are preset for these events)

Rean's master being Anelace's grandfather and Cassius' mentor was surprising, maybe it was mentioned in CS1 or CS2 but if it was I don't remember (still haven't finished CS2 though)

it was mentioned only for cassius, and not by his name

Arthea

I lost the fight but I'm assuming there's a reward for winning, not sure if I'm willing to go through all that dialog every time I lose though, even with the speed hack, I'm playing on hard so I'm not sure how many attempts it'll take, it's gonna be pretty close with the limited amount of items, does the gear she has equipped before going into the door make a difference? I haven't been using her lately.

I thought it was briefly mentioned, as I recall something like it.

those particular fights (Door ones), don't depend on difficulty level of a game as far as I know, you'll get the same setup no matter what, and that fight isn't even that hard.

Tonton

I had no idea you could lose the fight in the Anelace door, it was pretty easy on Normal
Definitely much easier than the Star Door 1 one

I thought it was briefly mentioned, as I recall something like it.

those particular fights (Door ones), don't depend on difficulty level of a game as far as I know, you'll get the same setup no matter what, and that fight isn't even that hard.

Well, you're wrong, difficulty does affect star doors,
Richard
hits twice as hard. Anyway, I managed on my second try.

Nyoro SF

I think the Star Door 1 fight even gave you different spells depending on difficulty, not sure about that one

Yeah, each 1-on-1 door changes quite a bit based on difficulty chosen.

It is actually those Doors that taught me for the first time in Kiseki that using an S-Craft as opposed to an S-Break means that you have way less delay and can get your turn back sooner.

Arthea

Well, you're wrong, difficulty does affect star doors,
Richard
hits twice as hard. Anyway, I managed on my second try.

this can't be right... unless you have completely different setup, if they hit twice as hard you die after the very first attack in both of those fights.

so how far this is like this then? on all doors?

Yeah, each 1-on-1 door changes quite a bit based on difficulty chosen.

It is actually those Doors that taught me for the first time in Kiseki that using an S-Craft as opposed to an S-Break means that you have way less delay and can get your turn back sooner.

how could you not notice that in FC and SC?
just curious

Nyoro SF

just curious

I got so used to stealing critical and STR UP turns that I never once considered using an S-Craft within the menu. I also blame this on my keyboard making it feel really satisfying to drum 1 through 4 to activate S-Breaks should an all-out attack be required. :p

this can't be right... unless you have completely different setup, if they hit twice as hard you die after the very first attack in both of those fights.

so how far this is like this then? on all doors?

just curious

The fight is on youtube on all difficulties.
His normal attack does over 1000 damage on normal, over 2000 on hard and over 3000 on nightmare.
I don't think his S-Craft damage scales the same way but yeah, you'll be out of EP and items to heal before you know it if you don't play your cards right.
There are several "Door fights" that become quite challenging on hard and nightmare because you only have 1 character and are forced to waste half of your turns with healing because of the high damage output enemies have on these difficulties.

Taruranto

Got at Shera's door (Moon Door 3?)

While I'm liking the game, honestly I'm having difficulties playing for too long. I guess the pacing really feels kinda weird in general, or maybe it's because I keep getting distracted by other games.

I think the gameplay is the thing I'm enjoying the most to be honest, too bad I started at normal, game is a bit on the easy side.

Fou-Lu

While I'm liking the game, honestly I'm having difficulties playing for too long. I guess the pacing really feels kinda weird in general, or maybe it's because I keep getting distracted by other games.

I think the gameplay is the thing I'm enjoying the most to be honest, too bad I started at normal, game is a bit on the easy side.

I'm at the same point. Honestly I enjoy everything except the Moon Doors, they are much too long without any real engagement. At least the three I have done so far weren't too terribly interesting.

Thud

You can save in that door and continue later on. I found myself enjoying it more if I took the time for these things.

Then again I quit playing everything else just so I could play the 3rd, so ymmv.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I thought 1, 3, and 4 all kind of dragged. 2 was fun (battles!) and 5 was wtf? At least in most of them you get opportunities to save.

Star Doors were consistently better and more interesting. Sun doors apart from the that fishing minigame are okay I guess. Fishing minigame is blech.

Gu4n

I found Schera's door super interesting because it provides a fragment of Liberl five years before the start of the series. Maybelle hadn't succeeded her father yet, more Dorothy antics and one of the nominees for First Anguis in the Cathedral. Really fascinating.

Also, the phone call from Cassius. That damn phone call.

I found Schera's door super interesting because it provides a fragment of Liberl five years before the start of the series. Maybelle hadn't succeeded her father yet, more Dorothy antics and one of the nominees for First Anguis in the Cathedral. Really fascinating.

Also, the phone call from Cassius. That damn phone call.

Wait, do you mean
the blind journalist?
. Is he an Anguis suspect?

I knew he was suspicious, but not Ouroboros level of suspicious.

The suspicious character in Moon Door 2 also reappears in Crossbell later on, IIRC.

Moon Doors are great, though they could have used more substantially different cinematic direction vs. the rest of the trilogy since these Doors are more like short movies you can interact with. 1's super funny and has some neat character building (dem parallels between Agate and Dan), 2 is the best overall just by having more combat and an interesting slice of Grancel and Schera's past, 3 is the most impressive given how much is hidden between lines about Kloe/Lechter/
Jill
and other students, 4 mirrors Kloe's door but for Joshua, and then 5 goes weird places without beating you over the head. I find the pacing in most parts acceptable and fine since there's always something going on or worth pondering. And quite a few Star Doors, mainly some later ones, feel too shallow by comparison.

Taruranto

GqNCK7w.jpg

ALL of them? Am I shallow for thinking "what the hell?"?

Only
Anelace
's star door left until I can progress. It's a shame Kurt is playable, they basically tease him in Moon door 2.

Yeah, I thought 1, 3, and 4 all kind of dragged. 2 was fun (battles!) and 5 was wtf? At least in most of them you get opportunities to save.

Star Doors were consistently better and more interesting. Sun doors apart from the that fishing minigame are okay I guess. Fishing minigame is blech.

I liked the fishing.

Linkark07

Banned
Eh... this fishing minigame is getting on my nerves. Why Falcom decided to lock Door #14 behind that annoying minigame? Why Falcom? Why? Why? Why?

More annoying is the fact that I'm so close to winning and always the Fishing Baron gets a big fish in the last round.

Fou-Lu

In Chapter 6 now, have some available doors left to do but held them off to do some storyline progression. Still greatly enjoying myself, do I have all the party members now? Seems like it.

Top Bottom