• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

So now that more people finished the game, can we talk about schera at the end :

i always thought that schera and olivier would make a good couple.... and the ending seems to hints that olivier asked her about that.... hope it will be answered in one game

or did i completely misinterpreted that?

So now that more people finished the game, can we talk about schera at the end :

i always thought that schera and olivier would make a good couple.... and the ending seems to hints that olivier asker her about that.... hope it will be answered in one game

I'm sure that the dialog was intentionally written to suggest something like that, but I have this feeling that Olivert was actually asking her to help with his war.

Why not both?
Dealing with Osborne decisively would allow Olivert the chance to either strengthen or sever his ties to power in Erebonia, all while giving him the leisure to spend more time with her
And she'd get to live on the other side of the river but keep her good conscience by repairing the Bracer Guild network in the Empire

Oh, and something I'm curious about but never asked. Chapter 7 spoiler.

Why was Weissmann in human form in Gehenna? All the others Kevin killed were mutant blobs with little to no sense of self. Weissmann at least seemed fully sentient and looked the part too, unlike all the others. Given the attention to detail in this series I imagine there is probably some reason or explanation for it.
Building off what I said about Weissmann and The Abyss two pages back, he's kept his form, and enough of his knowledge and personality as is relevant to confronting Kevin, because he interacted strongly with both Kevin and the Aureole
. The writers let you fill in the blanks for this encounter, but it makes sense to me and not as a matter of hand-waiving.

Kvik

I kinda dragging my feet to finish 3rd. Still got Door 14 and 15, and the end game of course.

By the way, did you guys ever use the Time Gem? I never used it in all the Trails game. The ATS penalty seems way too high for me. :-\

Ascheroth

I kinda dragging my feet to finish 3rd. Still got Door 14 and 15, and the end game of course.

By the way, did you guys ever use the Time Gem? I never used it in all the Trails game. The ATS penalty seems way too high for me. :-\

Those are among the best parts, do it!

Same here, never used it.

Tonton

By the way, did you guys ever use the Time Gem? I never used it in all the Trails game. The ATS penalty seems way too high for me. :-
It's great for a earth wall bot, I gave it to Kevin

Actually made the difference between keeping it up or not against the final Nightmare Arena fight for me

Eila

Gave it to Josette, along with a ton of speed gear. Became surprisingly useful.

If you're not using it for Earth Wall spamming, I felt that Time Gem only really worked well for someone set up to spam Devastation Blast, and even then you need to make sure they're equipped with Crimson Eyes to offset the ATS penalty.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I had it on Kevin for certain Hard Mode fights- he was going to spent the entire time healing and casting buffs inbetween Grail Spheres anyway so why not?

Eila

Oh yeah I just remembered about those chest messages during that final stretch. That was a very nice touch. Such a great trilogy. Glad I bought the first game that one summer sale.

Arthea

I haven't finished the game yet, because I decided to prepare for my nightmare run (doing it on normal should be much much faster, I thought) , that monster
Cassius
scared me good, and after a week of farming... I must say I shouldn't have tried... They don't just hand that good equipment, no they don't... at all.
I first started with superior boots and since I was there I aslo decided I can try for weapons. I got 1 best weapon and 1 pair of boots.... that's like IDK, 30 hours of farm? possibly more lol

I got better luck with kitty suits and even that took too long.

So here it is, I give up, will try that nightmare with what I have. Granted, farming helped me to get all quartz I can possibly need, all I can make that is.

Kvik

Those are among the best parts, do it!

Same here, never used it.
Indeed, I plan to finish it this weekend. Should be fun!

It's great for a earth wall bot, I gave it to Kevin

Actually made the difference between keeping it up or not against the final Nightmare Arena fight for me
I'm playing on Normal difficulty, but funnily enough, I never used Earth Wall even once in the final Nightmare arena. I used plenty of +SPD, +STR and +DEF food though.

Gave it to Josette, along with a ton of speed gear. Became surprisingly useful.
Well, since she's kind of a joke character, I never really level her up and only gearing her in hand-me-downs armour/accessories and orbments, while everybody else in my team is geared with the most powerful Gems and gears. :p

If you're not using it for Earth Wall spamming, I felt that Time Gem only really worked well for someone set up to spam Devastation Blast, and even then you need to make sure they're equipped with Crimson Eyes to offset the ATS penalty.

Crimson Eyes are way too good. A pair of Crimson Eyes is godly.

after a week of farming... I must say I shouldn't have tried... They don't just hand that good equipment, no they don't... at all.
I first started with superior boots and since I was there I aslo decided I can try for weapons. I got 1 best weapon and 1 pair of boots.... that's like IDK, 30 hours of farm? possibly more lol

I got better luck with kitty suits and even that took too long.

So here it is, I give up, will try that nightmare with what I have. Granted, farming helped me to get all quartz I can possibly need, all I can make that is.
What gems/support team member did you use for farming?

I used Fortune Gem, Divine Eye and Renne as support. Farmed the Abyss with CE's +5 speedhack for 3 hours and I got two pairs of Ninja Armor/Boots, 3 Crimson Eyes and lots, lots of sepith.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member

i always thought that schera and olivier would make a good couple.... and the ending seems to hints that olivier asked her about that.... hope it will be answered in one game

During the final chapter,
you can see her contemplating something at the garden with a Tarot card lying on the table. The card's resolution is too low to make out the details, but the dominant color is red, and the Lovers card traditionally has a red-winged angel on it. I'm pretty sure she got a marriage proposal, and the cards approve.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
During the final chapter,
you can see her contemplating something at the garden with a Tarot card lying on the table. The card's resolution is too low to make out the details, but the dominant color is red, and the Lovers card traditionally has a red-winged angel on it. I'm pretty sure she got a marriage proposal, and the cards approve.

If they're
approving of a marriage of anyone to Olivier than the Tarot is Zemuria's greatest monster.

Ascheroth

Why aren't these games on PS4?? I don't have a computer to play this series.
They are from a time where PS4 didn't exist yet, super niche and this game especially it is basically a miracle that we got it at all. FC and SC are on PSP too, but the PC versions are the definite ones and got localization updates and recently higher-res menus and movies.

They run on a literal toaster though, you don't need a gaming monster machine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They are from a time where PS4 didn't exist yet, super niche and this game especially it is basically a miracle that we got it at all. FC and SC are on PSP too, but the PC versions are the definite ones and got localization updates and recently higher-res menus and movies.

They run on a literal toaster though, you don't need a gaming monster machine.

I mean, FC and SC are from a time when the PS3 wasn't on the market. If they were on console they would have been PS2 games.

Nyoro SF

I have no problem assisting people who want to play these games, but when someone pops in without doing even the tiniest modicum of research, and makes a post which looks more like a platform wars gimme-gimme post than an actual concern, I'm not very inclined to take them seriously...

I mean, FC and SC are from a time when the PS3 wasn't on the market. If they were on console they would have been PS2 games.

They do actually have PS3 ports:
25ls2.jpg
tvg-ps3-1720.jpg
S4dHJox.jpg

This game didn't get a decent amount of marketing did it?
There's no amount of marketing strong enough to get many potential players to start Trails FC (a generally less exciting adventure until later on), finish that and its lengthier sequel, in order to properly enjoy 3rd. And the positive word of mouth for this game largely agrees that it's best played after the prequels. XSEED's actually marketed this better than FC and SC (former didn't need any marketing because it was a big, polished JRPG releasing on Steam 3 years ago in a less saturated market...latter really could have used more push) via social media countdowns and a stream. On the other hand, XSEED hasn't dug into their profit margin by marketing with diminished returns. The best signal boost for this kind of game would come from popular YouTubers and streamers, but ones who'd give positive, interested previews of Trails 3rd won't answer to money-hatting.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They do actually have PS3 ports:

Right, but those ports came later. My point was that FC and SC came out in 2004 and 2006, if they weren't PC games they would have been PS2 games. All things considered, 3rd probably would have been too despite releasing in 2007.

More than SC but not a lot. It had a social media push and they did a pre-release stream. Given that XSEED's marketing efforts usually aren't all that big (especially for digital games) and this game has a limited audience anyway, a huge push wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

It would make more sense for them to keep pushing FC to get people to buy and play it. It's the starting point so encouraging that game keeps things simple and the majority of the people who finish it are going to be interested in continuing with at least SC if not further games.

I'd say the biggest problems the series has apart from folks simply not knowing it exists are understanding the relationships between the games. i.e., what is SC? Are the Cold Steel games remakes of the Sky games? There are a bunch of these, what should I start with?

Well, that and the word of mouth about the games being slow paced. But I think either an official in-game battle speed up option, or to a lesser extent cheat engine, can help a lot with that. Spending less time in battle watching relatively lengthy animations over and over again will help advance the story faster.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
The 3rd is a game meant for existing fans, not something that can realistically attract new ones. I expect the PC version of ToCS to get a bigger marketing push: it works as an entry point, looks more modern, and people who enjoy it may want to go back and try out the TitS trilogy.

Speaking of which, I hope we get the release date for ToCS PC soon. After seeing the
Osborne
door I'm half-seriously considering dusting off my Vita and getting that version, just so I could have it right now. Please, don't make me waste my money, XSeed.

Thud

I hope they make a nice bundle for future buyers.

The Cold Steel digital sales probably help a lot. I missed the last sale of II tho :(.

Ascheroth

The 3rd is a game meant for existing fans, not something that can realistically attract new ones. I expect the PC version of ToCS to get a bigger marketing push: it works as an entry point, looks more modern, and people who enjoy it may want to go back and try out the TitS trilogy.

Speaking of which, I hope we get the release date for ToCS PC soon. After seeing the
Osborne
door I'm half-seriously considering dusting off my Vita and getting that version, just so I could have it right now. Please, don't make me waste my money, XSeed.
Durante said he thinks it will be out in July. Could be speculation, but could also be more...

The Cold Steel digital sales probably help a lot. I missed the last sale of II tho :(.
Yeah, the lack of bundles for the game is a big mistake imo.
Would show people all the other entries and the order no matter on which game's storefront they are and would get some people to buy them all in one fell swoop instead of buying FC, finishing it a long while later, buying the next one, repeat.
Although I think a FC + SC bundle would have been more effective then a trilogy bundle, but alas.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

They did say they are planning to bundle the games at some point. And thankfully Steam fixed their bundle pricing so now somebody can buy FC and give it a try, and still get a bundle discount for SC and 3rd.

An Ys bundle is probably never going to happen since they didn't get Ys 8 though. Would make a bundle really awkward.

demidar

Beat the game.
Really shouldn't have brought Analace and Josette to the final fight :sweat: made it 6x harder on myself.

Will give thoughts after I have a bit of time processing things.

Kvik

Almost there.

Star Door 15

SXwHT.gif

Probably the darkest tone of all the other doors. It sits uncomfortably in my thoughts since last night. Harrowing stuff.

Star Door 14

34928257531_726c5b83d3_o.jpg

All according to keikaku*. Since (Door 14 Spoiler)
one of the Anguis is a swordsman, I can let my imagination run wild and assume his true identity is Yun Ka-Fai. That'll certainly make for a sweet betrayal later on.

And today -- onto the endgame.

c1d

Durante said he thinks it will be out in July. Could be speculation, but could also be more...

Yeah, the lack of bundles for the game is a big mistake imo.
Would show people all the other entries and the order no matter on which game's storefront they are and would get some people to buy them all in one fell swoop instead of buying FC, finishing it a long while later, buying the next one, repeat.
Although I think a FC + SC bundle would have been more effective then a trilogy bundle, but alas.
Wait, was it confirmed that Durante is involved with the port?

Couldn't agree more about the bundles, XSeed dropped the ball on that one.

Eila

Wait, was it confirmed that Durante is involved with the port?

No, it was just a random post he made in here.
Hope it happens, though. He did well fixing Little King's Story and he knows what PC gamers want in their ports, being one himself.

Kvik

Completed.

I will need some time to string my thoughts together, but what should I do now that I have played my most anticipated game in 2017?

demidar

Okay, some thoughts:

I think using the Doors system to drop some lore and backstory was a good idea, given that an alternate reality dungeon crawler wouldn't usually give you much chance to do so. Lots of really cool character moments. It's nice to see what characters were up to in the aftermath of SC and actively trying to save the world.

The combat system was the best it's been in the series (obviously because you get the good stuff early on) but still slow. Wish I put in that CheatEngine speedhack but it's too late now.

Given Olivier's comments at the end, I really want to play Cold Steel. But I also want to learn more about Renne through Ao/Zero (Xseed pls). I guess I'll pick up CS on Steam when it comes but it's a bit sad to not be able to follow all the other characters. Maybe they'll pop up as cameos??? I really want to follow Olivier's navigation of Erobonia's shark-infested political waters.

Speaking of what happens at the end,
so Kevin's destroyed his Stigma, but doesn't that mean he also has to step down as a Dominion? I thought to be one of the Dominion you need a Stigma, and that there's only 12 "naturally occurring" Stigmas at any one time in the world.
Still, it's nice seeing what the Church upper brass is like. I hope that they have a fair hand in the future games wherever Ouraboros sticks its head up.

I was expecting more of an epilogue than what we got.
The farewells were nice but I wanted a small snippet of what each character was doing once they got back out in to the real world. Instead we only got Kevin's snippet, which is fair enough since he is one of the main characters but I wanted to see Erika try and kill Agate some more >_>

Okay, some thoughts:

I think using the Doors system to drop some lore and backstory was a good idea, given that an alternate reality dungeon crawler wouldn't usually give you much chance to do so. Lots of really cool character moments. It's nice to see what characters were up to in the aftermath of SC and actively trying to save the world.

The combat system was the best it's been in the series (obviously because you get the good stuff early on) but still slow. Wish I put in that CheatEngine speedhack but it's too late now.

Given Olivier's comments at the end, I really want to play Cold Steel. But I also want to learn more about Renne through Ao/Zero (Xseed pls). I guess I'll pick up CS on Steam when it comes but it's a bit sad to not be able to follow all the other characters. Maybe they'll pop up as cameos??? I really want to follow Olivier's navigation of Erobonia's shark-infested political waters.

so Kevin's destroyed his Stigma, but doesn't that mean he also has to step down as a Dominion? I thought to be one of the Dominion you need a Stigma, and that there's only 12 "naturally occurring" Stigmas at any one time in the world.
Still, it's nice seeing what the Church upper brass is like. I hope that they have a fair hand in the future games wherever Ouraboros sticks its head up.

The farewells were nice but I wanted a small snippet of what each character was doing once they got back out in to the real world. Instead we only got Kevin's snippet, which is fair enough since he is one of the main characters but I wanted to see Erika try and kill Agate some more >_>

Don't we all.

3rd and CS spoilers:
I guess we'll just have to hold out for her to hunt Rean down in CS3.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Durante is a port? Woah that's deep

The console version is the port.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is involved with Cold Steel after XSEED approached him about LKS. They clearly have a lot of respect for him and since they already worked with him once, getting him onboard for their next port from the outset would make a lot of sense. They don't​ want a repeat of LKS.

Okay, some thoughts:

He didn't destroy his stigma.
The final boss was a COPY of his stigma created by phantasma after it imprinted on him

Taruranto

Moon Door 3
Leo and Lucy are totally suspicious.
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this door given I'm not Kloe's biggest fan.

Beat the game, now I'm sad it's over. I wish Zero was able to be released before the Cold Steel port but I am happy to get more sooner rather than later.

Also, does CS spoil a lot from Zero?

Top Bottom