• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren

ArjanN

DMC3 did the right thing and was punished for it. So normal will always be too easy. Except for Dark/Demon Souls, I guess.

This generation 'hard' is the new default difficulty to me, and that isn't me bragging at all. Normal is pretty much guaranteed to be too easy unless you're new to gaming.

Is your character progressive? Like If I go back to chapter 1 on a different difficulty will I retain my weapons and upgrades?

Edit: Maybe a little off topic, but I know everyone is checking both threads.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Multiplayer.it: 8.0/10; readers 7.4/10

+a successful spin-off, action is dynamic and fun
+Raiden's charisma is heaps and bound above his MGS2 persona, which will probably do good for the next main MGS installment
+story is well above average with some points that will spark interesting discussions in the MGS community
+cool blend of Kojipro's storytelling and Platinum's relentless action

•Die-hard MGS' fundamentalist aficionados won't like it
•Fell short of Platinum's previous work, especially Bayonetta
•Platinum didn't get the balance right between controls and on-screen action
•combat mechanics have too many shortcomings, were expecting much better from Platinum
-

Spaziogames.it: 8.0/10

+batshit insane, adrenaline-rushing spectacular campaign
+story is better than anticipated, above expectations save for some moments
+noteworthy soundtrack

•too easy on Normal difficulty with some badly implemented spikes
•combat mechanic is lacking
•short campaign
•visual and gameplay bugs
•bad camera
-

Videogame.it: 3/5; readers: 3/5

The game shines only with practice and the willingness to learn every little bit about the mechanics and explore the depth of its controls.
If you haven't got the patience or ability to do that... stay away from the game, maybe go for something like DmC.
When compared to Capcom's title, the latter offers a more complete package, more cohesive design and better accessibility, while Rising's combat mechanics offers unrivalled depth. Wherever your priorities lie in an action game, there's your choice between the two.
-

Buddha Gaming.it: 8/10

+Satisfying sword mechanic
+frenetic and fluid action
+Demanding

•Terrible camera
•Short on content
•Platinum played it safe, didn't take any risk to make something groundbreaking
-

Everyeye.it: 8.0/10; readers 7.7/10

GFX: 8
Gameplay: 8.5
Longevity: 7.5
Soundtrack, sfx, dub: 7.5

+game content WITH the VR missions (PS3) is nothing to scoff at.
+solid gameplay
+variety is Rising's main appeal: bosses, weapons, many different enemies
+there's some epic moments in the story...
–...but it's a bit flimsy
–not up to P+'s standards as far as gameplay/combat mechanics go
–camera doesn't keep up

So basically the consensus here is that:
the camera is terrible :(
Game's execution bit by the book with nothing even remotely revolutionary like Bayo had with the controls
Missing the VR missions on the 360 sku are an even bigger deal :[ (will grab on PS3 then, or are they coming later for free -lol?- on 360?)
Combat is not as deep as Platinum fans expected it to be
Gfx are nothing to write home about :/

Well, I'm still super interested. Speaks volume about how much I value Platinum's involvement with a game :)

MormaPope

Banned
Game's execution bit by the book with nothing even remotely revolutionary like Bayo had with the controls
Missing the VR missions on the 360 sku are an even bigger deal :[ (will grab on PS3 then, or are they coming later for free -lol?- on 360?)

Well, I'm still super interested. Speaks volume about how much I value Platinum's involvement with a game :)

Sounds like you wanted to not be interested in Rising from the start, Rising isn't an answer to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, it's basically a guilty pleasure where after a great segment or boss fight you feel empowered and have a grin on your face.

Vanquish wasn't a revolutionary or deep shooter, it was damn fine one. Just like this is a damn fine action game.

Nemesis_

I made this image to show the disparity between the clocks - but I didn't die a lot (I play a lot of action games) so the difference isn't that great.

But yeah, this is how long my review playthrough on Hard mode took.

VCynvzs.jpg

But you're wrong.

DmC is the better game on your first time through. Rising is above and beyond for multiple play throughs.

We shall see :).

But good to hear that about Rising. I really liked DmC but the replays were the most dissapointing part. Worst offender being unskippable cutscenes/follow Kat sections.

Jac_Solar

Is the lack of moves the general consensus, even after considering the upgrade system? Or does the upgrade system greatly expand the move set?

Marlowe89

They should be ashamed.

I think the funniest part is that Juba criticizes the combat for being undemanding, then explicitly refutes himself, then throws a hissyfit because he has a hard time mastering the block/evasion mechanics. The entire review is just a self-contradicting mess, but that's par for the course for GI.

The PSLS review is easily the most entertaining to read though, it's like the guy literally started angrily typing it up the moment he gave up on the final boss.

I made this image to show the disparity between the clocks - but I didn't die a lot (I play a lot of action games) so the difference isn't that great.

But yeah, this is how long my review playthrough on Hard mode took.

(156 continues) Sure you didn't.

4 hours though? Either way, the game sounds good... just not $60 good.

The Gaming Vault - 9/10

"Far and above, this is Platinum Games’ best work."

Bold words from my editor, especially considering that my second closest gaming cohort thought it was a tad disappointing. I don't think he has played Bayonetta, though.

abasm

Vanquish wasn't a revolutionary or deep shooter, it was damn fine one. Just like this is a damn fine action game.

Other games have yet to learn from what Vanquish does really well. It wasn't revolutionary, but it damn well should have been.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
""Far and above, this is Platinum Games’ best work.""

God damn people, you can't throw statements like this around! You're playing with fire. Hot, sexy fire.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's not anywhere near as tight in mechanics, play, and design as Bayonetta and Vanquish. That doesn't mean it isn't deliciously brilliant and engaging, but we're comparing it to the cream of the crop. Rising, in my opinions, has the trappings of a pressured development pushing very hard to meet a tight deadline. It's not so much "rushed" as hungry for more time in the oven. Bayonetta and Vanquish, the latter sans the issue of extra content and unlockables, were cooked to perfection.

zainetor

Banned

italian reviews suck, for the most.
everyeye's reviewer didn't even kno that there was a dodge...Come on.

demidar

It's not anywhere near as tight in mechanics, play, and design as Bayonetta and Vanquish. That doesn't mean it isn't deliciously brilliant and engaging, but we're comparing it to the cream of the crop. Rising, in my opinions, has the trappings of a pressured development pushing very hard to meet a tight deadline. It's not so much "rushed" as hungry for more time in the oven. Bayonetta and Vanquish, the latter sans the issue of extra content and unlockables, were cooked to perfection.

It's admirable how good the game is considering it was salvaged from troubled development and retrofitted into what it is now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The thing with Rising is that the cutting mechanic is something entirely new. Bayonetta and Vanquish are great amazing games, but theyre more like... evolutions of stylish action or the third person shooter. Theyre bringing together a lot of stuff done before such as slow-mo bullet time and going mental with them.

Whether I get bored of it or not, slicing on command through enemy models and level geometry is just new new new. For this reason I hope it either catches on bigtime with OTT swordplay games (Suda51's next effort is going to feel lacking without this ability for instance) and hopefully there'll be a Rising sequel or prequel with a more natural dev-time on next gen. When the slicing physics can play into bigger elements of level design, thats when shit goes up a notch further still.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The thing with Rising is that the cutting mechanic is something entirely new. Bayonetta and Vanquish are great amazing games, but theyre more like... evolutions of stylish action or the third person shooter. Theyre bringing together a lot of stuff done before such as slow-mo bullet time and going mental with them.

Whether I get bored of it or not, slicing on command through enemy models and level geometry is just new new new. For this reason I hope it either catches on bigtime with OTT swordplay games (Suda51's next effort is going to feel lacking without this ability for instance) and hopefully there'll be a Rising sequel or prequel with a more natural dev-time on next gen. When the slicing physics can play into bigger elements of level design, thats when shit goes up a notch further still.

Oh for sure. I said it in my review, but even the most basic act of cutting up the weakest enemy for a Zan-Datsu is so fucking satisfying. Chaining together moves with precise cuts gives the game a strong identity that distances itself from other brawlers.

The game desperately needs a sequel with a full, thorough development cycle and for next generation hardware where stuff like the cutting and physics can be really explored without current generation limitations. I'll be shattered if Platinum isn't given a second outing with Raiden.

It's admirable how good the game is considering it was salvaged from troubled development and retrofitted into what it is now.

Definitely. I'm glad we finally got Rising, and Platinum was the perfect studio to deliver the cyborg ninja simulator

duckroll

I still find it kinda amazing that DmC really managed to outscore MGR on Metacritic. It's so weird. Hopefully it doesn't reflect lower sales as well. :(

Nibel

I still find it kinda amazing that DmC really managed to outscore MGR on Metacritic. It's so weird. Hopefully it doesn't reflect lower sales as well. :(

Well to be honest DmC got so much shit from the DMC fanbase that it seems like journos tried to "save" it with all their positive reviews.

Also, Rising has the Metal Gear name attached to it and even the positive reviews couldn't save DmC from bombing

For some reason, Australian retailers decided to push the release date back five days, so I'll have to wait to see if I agree with my editor.

Or with most of you, actually. I really liked Vanquish, but I didn't think it was the pinnacle of its genre the way Bayonetta was. It needed a bit more meat on its bones, which Revengeance looks to deliver.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Most games reviewers virtually adopted DmC as their new son from a past abusive parenthood. For whatever reason, Ninja Theory articles of "WHY ARENT YOU BUYING THIS" are common. Half of the reviews it didn't feel like they were actually reviewing that game at all but finally finding an outlet for "JAPANESE GAMES ARE JANKY, FINALLY THEYRE FIXED BY OUR WESTERN HANDS!" narratives. For an actual japanese action game to release the next month allowing them to make their clear distinction? You'd best believe axes are being grinded.

But enough DmC. Let us join hands and hope a larger quantity of gaming purchasers just really want to cut a Metal Gear Ray's tail and arms off.

danmaku

DmC has better graphics and a story more in line with western taste. Most journalists will stop there.

dan2026

Why is it amazing?

Whether you like it or not DmC is a good game.
And so is Rising by the sound of it.

NotLiquid

DmC gameplay-wise appeals a larger audience so I wouldn't say it's that surprising, and MGR isn't nearly as fleshed out as Bayonetta to make up for some shortcomings. That and publications love Ninja Theory in general, that MCV article bitching at fans not buying the game was just straight up awful. It's not that big of a Metascore difference though.

That said I would be surprised if MGR doesn't sell decently enough considering it's marketing and brand name.

Keasar

Final judgement I will reserve for later after I have played the full game but I totally called it that DmC would be the better game :3.

I will most likely not agree. I have yet to try and bring myself to play DmC again after the first time. Its just too easy, even now on Son of Sparda. It kept handing out me SS-ranks after each mission I got bored and the bosses, spectacular graphical design but god they were just too easy and a chore to fight.

Good controls though.

I expect Rising to have a much better replay value.

My theory: It was a stylish action game easy enough for most reviewers to beat.

eshwaaz

Well to be honest DmC got so much shit from the DMC fanbase that it seems like journos tried to "save" it with all their positive reviews.
Come on - that's ridiculous. DmC is a quality action game, even if it's not the game fans of the franchise wanted. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I wasn't even trying to "save" it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It was practically made for reviewers, quick easy and flashy, so I'm not shocked at all.

I've had more fun with MGR in 2 hours than DmC all the way through.

Gbraga

We shall see :).

But good to hear that about Rising. I really liked DmC but the replays were the most dissapointing part. Worst offender being unskippable cutscenes/follow Kat sections.

Kat, stay VERY still

I agree with that. Those things we called swordplay before? It's time to leave thEM ALL BEEHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINDDD

Z3M0G

Wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99vyCca5RRQ

And yes, the dodge was in the demo as well.

Thank you so much for that video! I'm sure the game teaches you about it when you unlock it, right?

Very sad that the demo's tutorial focused solely on slice mode... but it was an E3 demo, right? It's the mechanic they wanted to show off the most... but it bit them in the ass that they put you up against a boss without teaching you about parry / dodge... wtf...

So many people hated the demo and are now shocked by the high review scores. All because of this simple problem in the demo...

I just booted up Rising's demo on the PS3 that I downloaded a while ago. Literally, the first fight against the three mooks tells you how to parry. The fight against the bladewolf is basically parry 101. The whole demo is basically blade mode and parry central. I'm not great at fast paced action games but the demo told me enough for me to get A ranks with a few runthroughs. The only thing they hid from you in the demo was the dodge command, which isn't entirely needed in the demo.

Keasar

Revengeance on normal isn't hard either though.

DmC on Nephilim didn't even bother to challenge me. When I get SS ranks on my first playthrough on Hard in a DMC game, I am either gaming god incarnated (unlikely) or the game is just way, way too easy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DmC reviewed well because it was a good game.

Revengeance on normal isn't hard either though.

For reviewers? Bladewolf seems to be a brick wall for people who don't get the parry, even on normal.

DmC was insanely easy on Nephilim and still didn't do much to challenge me on DMD.

I thought DmC was good, but a little bit into the second level in Rising and I already have had a much better time with it.

What kind of gets me is that reviewers act like Platinum has only made two games: Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both of which are directed by legends. Can't they say "hey, this isn't quite as good as those, but it's better than their other 3 games"?

I haven't played this yet(well, I've played the demo to death), but I have been a little frustrated at the quality difference between the Jack Cayman games and their two big games. So, if this is closer to the two big ones, I'm happy. I mean, it's Sato's first time directing, and he's not a "legend". And I think it's important that Platinum's other guys start pumping out really great games too(especially since Mikami has left).

Actually, I'm still hoping they make a brawler that is closer to "Platinum quality".

Marlowe89

Come on - that's ridiculous. DmC is a quality action game, even if it's not the game fans of the franchise wanted. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I wasn't even trying to "save" it.

He's right though. Journalists were hyping DmC up to absurd proportions before anyone actually played it, and the fact that it was a decently playing game only seems to have accentuated their bias with the reboot. It's entirely expected that they would award it with near-top scores. Also, it was incredibly easy - they eat that shit up (in contrast, look at the PSLS Rising review which is basically "I'M NOT GOOD AT THIS GAME, THEREFORE TERRIBLE").

DmC is by no means a bad game, but not nearly as good as the reviews make it out to be.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For reviewers? Bladewolf seems to be a brick wall for people who don't get the parry, even on normal.

DmC was insanely easy on Nephilim and still didn't do much to challenge me on DMD.

Seriously. I can't speak for the Normal Difficulties, but DmC Nephilim was a cakewalk. I died three times total, I think. MGSR on Hard punished me for my mistakes.

The block/parry mechanic seems to be unintuitive for some people, which makes them want to give up. I think the mechanic is brilliant.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up Revengeance today. Took way too long as a Metal Gear lover. I'm early on but I totally love it. Exactly the game I wanted out of a Metal Gear game starring Cyborg Ninja Raiden.

Would have been really cool to see a MGR game starring Grey Fox, but A post MGS4 story is something I've been wanting.

Top Bottom