• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren

Tain

I usually don't follow threads for games I'm pumped about, so I completely missed the dodge in the demo and am just now learning it exists. I hope it's not too good, as I kind of liked the thought of a dodge-free action game and was really liking the demo without knowing about it.

Yeah, that will unlock all the difficulties.

fuckin' hallelujah

I guess I will just jump in on the hardest.

Are the Very Hard/Revengence difficulties designed/balanced to be played with upgrades from your first playthrough? Or do you start each one fresh, not sure whether to use the Konami code to unlock them and start ahead.

BosSin

Interesting review from the guardian, I've always respected its news reporting for being clean of the garbage contained within tabloids and trying to keep political views to a minimum.

I wonder if the review was influenced by money hatting at all?

L.O.R.D

i am playing now in Revengeance difficulty
may i say: its impossible to not get hit
even i tiny little hit will get you an A
soo, i rather forget about that achievement
game is also punishment on that difficulty

agidot

Dem continues
Only 5 times more...
ArGO00U.jpg

What was it? You die after two rockets even when fully upgraded? Revengeance difficulty sounds great.
Sounds terrible for a first play though. Go through the entire game getting smacked around in ten seconds every battle, not knowing how to deal with any of the boss encounters...and then you don't have any higher modes to look forward to either...

I think starting on Rev is just as bad for the experience as starting on Easy

Salaadin

So its confirmed that the Rev3Games guy didnt know how the game clock worked? I was enjoying his review until he drifted off and started talking about how short it was. I thought there was a way to view your total play time on your save file or something. How are people not seeing this?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So its confirmed that the Rev3Games guy didnt know how the game clock worked? I was enjoying his review until he drifted off and started talking about how short it was. I thought there was a way to view your total play time on your save file or something. How are people not seeing this?

The campaign is short. Ignoring all the "no replays/cutscenes/codec counted", it's short. That doesn't mean it's bad, but I think the argument that it's short is fine, especially considering the suspect length of some chapters (
one chapter is just one boss fight, for instance
). But the game also has VR missions and a bunch of unlockables.

I became pretty good with the demo, and could finish it mostly without getting hit with high ranks, so should I start my first playthrough on hard or normal? Reading through on here I'm still not sure of the differences between the two. Just dont want to kill the flow of the story by dying all the time if hard is too hard for me.

demidar

Sounds terrible for a first play though. Go through the entire game getting smacked around in ten seconds every battle, not knowing how to deal with any of the boss encounters...and then you don't have any higher modes to look forward to either...

Yep, Revengeance expects players to know how to fight all types of enemies and bosses. Starting there is asking for literally 1000 deaths.

Tain

How different is Hard to Very Hard and Very Hard to Revengeance?

Honestly, in a perfect world I'd play through all of my games one time in the best way possible. I don't mind having to retry a boss fight all day, and I don't like having to play through a lower-difficulty spoiler of a fight that's even better on a higher difficulty.

if only I had a Volgin gif or two handy right now

tumblr_m10n0hZf1z1qd4u7oo1_500.jpg

Honestly, in a perfect world I'd play through all of my games one time in the best way possible. I don't mind having to retry a boss fight all day, and I don't like having to play through a lower-difficulty spoiler of a fight that's even better on a higher difficulty.

I guess that's where we differ on what is the "Best Way Possible". I like a good challenge, but I also don't want to blunder my way through bosses who kill me in three hits and it becomes a battle of attrition for me to play the game. And I'm not playing this game just one time through; I'll get to harder difficulties eventually, and I can appreciate what's different about them in the proper context(say, harder NGB difficulties replacing brown ninjas with the white ones, and the white ninjas with the Black Spider Clan, etc).

mollipen

I don't have the game (or my save) available to me at the moment, so when people saying that the "save file time" is the correct representation of the full playtime, where is that time?

I ask because, when I was in the game, and picking my save file, that's where I got the "5:04" number for my clear time - NOT the results screens.

If that number is the accurate representation, then that's indeed what I personally got for my play through.

TO BE CLEAR: As I actually understand what this game is and how it's meant to be played, I know that a shorter playtime isn't necessarily a negative.

I'm on the last chapter of the game, which has taken me two long sittings on normal to get to, and I'm blown away by how FUN the game is. Some of the dialogue is awful and the story is hard to care about, but the core mechanics of the game are just phenomenal. Beating cutting and slicing through waves of dudes has never felt so good.

I often find myself walking up to bookshelves and spending a minute or so cutting it into as many pieces as possible. Why does cutting feel so good?

demidar

I don't have the game (or my save) available to me at the moment, so when people saying that the "save file time" is the correct representation of the full playtime, where is that time?

I ask because, when I was in the game, and picking my save file, that's where I got the "5:04" number for my clear time - NOT the results screens.

If that number is the accurate representation, then that's indeed what I personally got for my play through.

TO BE CLEAR: As I actually understand what this game is and how it's meant to be played, I know that a shorter playtime isn't necessarily a negative.

From what I understand, the time displayed in the save menu is far more accurate as it counts deaths and retries. Not sure if it counts cutscenes, codecs or sitting in menus though.

I do wonder, given the volume of games that reviewers have to get through, whether some just blitz through them on the easiest setting, never truly digesting the gameplay mechanics, unless they're slapped across the face with them. For the most part, they tend to consume their games in a way that most average gamers don't. It's why I tend to put more stock in the thoughts of informed, intelligent gamers (don't laugh, they do exist), as they consume game pretty much the same way that I do.

Fabrik

Banned
I'm on the last chapter of the game, which has taken me two long sittings on normal to get to, and I'm blown away by how FUN the game is. Some of the dialogue is awful and the story is hard to care about, but the core mechanics of the game are just phenomenal. Beating cutting and slicing through waves of dudes has never felt so good.

I often find myself walking up to bookshelves and spending a minute or so cutting it into as many pieces as possible. Why does cutting feel so good?

I don't know but the aural/visual/tactile feedback of your actions in this game is simply unmatched.

Tain

I guess that's where we differ on what is the "Best Way Possible". I like a good challenge, but I also don't want to blunder my way through bosses who kill me in three hits and it becomes a battle of attrition for me to play the game. And I'm not playing this game just one time through; I'll get to harder difficulties eventually, and I can appreciate what's different about them in the proper context(say, harder NGB difficulties replacing brown ninjas with the white ones, and the white ninjas with the Black Spider Clan, etc).

I think that part of it is that I actually don't expect this game to get all that tough. There's an ideal pace for this sort of game, for me, and it sounds like Normal would make things too easy and Hard might do the same. If Revengeance plays something like Ninja Gaiden 2's Mentor path I'd be cool with that, but if it's like Master Ninja that might be too much. I'm also not sure that the different difficulties will have notably different enemy sets, which means I'd still get to fight the full cast.

I think the only option I really have is to toy around with the beginning of the game on Very Hard and on Revengeance and see which fits.

SZips

I just read the PA Report review for the game, and I really cannot help but think the reviewer played the game through on Easy. I did Normal for my review for my first play through, and admittedly it was a cakewalk for most of the game up until the final couple of boss fights, it certainly wasn't a straight up button masher. I also tried Easy and one difficulty above Normal just to see if there were any hugely notable differences.

It also wasn't anywhere near a sub-four hour long game. I'm assuming they simply looked at the time offered up in their save file and just ran with that instead of actually figuring out how long they played for.

Mileena

Banned
Combination of no PSN release and short campaign is making me reconsider. I may just wait for bomba price. Sry Platinum.

Oh man, I just got my Limited Edition in. This Lamp is the most ridiculously dumb yet awesome LE item ever.

Konami did a disservice when they didn't show that it was a super awesome fluid motion light.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Combination of no PSN release and short campaign is making me reconsider. I may just wait for bomba price. Sry Platinum.

From start to end you'll be in campaign for around 10 hours I'd guess. That's including everything. Not to mention the game has a ton of replay value on harder difficulties. It's worth the price of admission IMO.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just picked up my game and soundtrack. The gray fox code is in my hand and I just downloaded the demo. Now have to wait to get out of work.

Can't wait to get my copy after work. After reading people impressions on this and Crysis 3. My hype has grown for MGR, and fallen fast for Crysis 3.

Esura

Banned
Why do I get the feeling PG hurt themselves by calling a very easy mode "normal"? It sounds like they should have bumped everything down and had Very Hard mode available from the start and called it "Hard" or dare I say "Normal" or "Adult".

In any case, do the reviews say what difficulty they played on?

Normal is this game's very easy?

That would explain why everyone is going hard first.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My review is live over on COIN-OP.TV. OP, if you could add it that would be awesome. We don't do number scores so just put "Highly Recommended" by it or something.

http://coin-op.tv/?p=7851

I still have some gameplay coming too. Specifically a boss battle with Monsoon.

Top Bottom