• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren

nullref

The Penny Arcade Report review seems kind of pathetic.

It’s very easy to button mash your way through battles instead of actually paying attention to enemy attacks, so long as you make sure to look out for the occasional yellow gleam that indicates an unblockable attack.

In other words, while fun, Revengeance isn’t a terribly deep action game. It’s a simple, almost hypnotic rhythm of button mash, Blade Mode, rinse, repeat. You don’t juggle enemies or toss them into each other, you don’t have to deal with different enemies by using different strategies

There’s also no dodge by default, you have to purchase that as an upgraded skill using points earned by performing well in battle. I made it through the entire game without ever using it, simply because I didn’t care to purchase the ability. Maybe I should have, because later enemies have some very aggressive AI and seeking attacks which can’t be blocked, only evaded.

Another downer: Revengeance is short. Ridiculously short. You get a special mention at the end if you beat the game in under eight hours, but on Normal difficulty with several deaths and retries, I clocked in at just over three and a half.

Sounds like Platinum can be criticized for making Normal too easy, but still...

Midou

Guess I will be playing on Very Hard.

I heard the contra/konami code unlocks the higher difficulties right?

papercamm

Ok, I would like this cleared up...

Can you dodge?

If "Yes", how do you do it?

Could you do it in the demo?
You dodge by walking away from enemies when they attack. It's not a mechanic.
Edit: haha, whoops. I was completely wrong about that. Not sure how I missed it in the demo.

Sojgat

Ok, I would like this cleared up...

Can you dodge?

If "Yes", how do you do it?

Could you do it in the demo?

Yes there's a dodge (where Raiden slashes at the same time). Jump + Light Attack + a direction. Neutral gives you a backstep.

Game Rev reviewer is just terribad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, dodge is in there but I have yet to use it. This really isn't a dodge-based game like DmC or God of War, it's more a block-based game. I never found myself needing to dodge much.

Nemesis_

You dodge by walking away from enemies when they attack. It's not a mechanic.

ig7EiT4frpNUU.gif

I can't believe people are missing the dodge thing. :/

jett

D-Member
Yeah, dodge is in there but I have yet to use it. This really isn't a dodge-based game like DmC or God of War, it's more a block-based game. I never found myself needing to dodge much.

The dodge is your savior for unblockable attacks. It also has an invincibility window. It's actually really quite useful.

ultron87

Is the tutorial in the full game the same one that was in the demo? That could explain not knowing about stuff like the dodge.

In other words, while fun, Revengeance isn’t a terribly deep action game. It’s a simple, almost hypnotic rhythm of button mash, Blade Mode, rinse, repeat. You don’t juggle enemies or toss them into each other, you don’t have to deal with different enemies by using different strategies, you just beat the crap out of everyone and everything until you can make use of Blade Mode and absorb their energy cells.

HAHAHAHHAHA

WHAT

NOT DEEP

AHAHAHAHAH

zroid

Banned
Seeing as the game's pretty short, I'll probably try to blitz it once on Normal and then replay it on Hard immediately after.

Nemesis_

I find it interesting that the game doesn't specifically teach dodge mechanics. So many people seem to have missed out on it.

I find it interesting that the game doesn't specifically teach dodge mechanics. So many people seem to have missed out on it.

I didn't learn about it in the demo tutorial, but through a post in the MGR demo thread. heh

Looking forward to trying this out when I can.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Play on hard or go home, scrubs.

Mupod

Hard does feel just right so far. Only part I had serious trouble with were Raptors and I've got them figured out now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Play on hard or go home, scrubs.

So let's say I'm pretty good at these games, but don't like my first time through a game to be met with frustration or unexpected difficulty spikes.

Should I still start this on Hard? And if I start on Normal, will Hard then be too easy due to all the upgrades acquired in Normal?

Ferr986

I platinum'd Bayonetta (completed in Hard and NSC) yet I only could go though Ninja Gaiden 2 on Normal, everything up there was too hard :(.

I dont know where to start, hearing than this game is closer to NG2. I'll go up to Very Hard atleast...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So let's say I'm pretty good at these games, but don't like my first time through a game to be met with frustration or unexpected difficulty spikes.

Should I still start this on Hard? And if I start on Normal, will Hard then be too easy due to all the upgrades acquired in Normal?

Yes. I'm okay at games like this but hardly amazing. Hard is a good balanced challenge without resorting to frustration. It forces you to actually block/parry and focus on gobbling those delicious spinal fluids for a health refill.

Normal is ludicrously easy by comparison, in my opinion.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes. I'm okay at games like this but hardly amazing. Hard is a good balanced challenge without resorting to frustration. It forces you to actually block/parry and focus on gobbling those delicious spinal fluids for a health refill.

I'd mirror this statement. I'm playing on normal and aside from a few difficulty spikes have had an easy time. It's much easier than the demo was even. If you're worried, play on normal your first time through to get the mechanics solidified in your head and learn how to beat each enemy type, then go hard.

Mupod

do you define frustration as 'I died three times so I threw my controller against the wall'?

I mean, I've fought enemies that felt impossible for the first few minutes but now I can literally dismantle them like any other schmuck. I'm not that far in though.

I also tend to make things hard on myself because I like riposting so much. Especially on the big sword guys who counter your counter etc.

Nemesis_

Mmhmm. My review was based on Hard mode. I feel like it's the only way to appreciate the game and it's underlying mechanics properly.

RS4-

First play through should be at least on hard. Regardless, your second play through should be on Revengeance.

demidar

I really think reviews should be prefaced with the difficulty the reviewer played through to frame the rest of his/her points.

EatChildren

Very Hard remixes the encounters. I assume Revengeance does as well, or just uses Very Hard's with higher damage ratios.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I really think reviews should be prefaced with the difficulty the reviewer played through to frame the rest of his/her points.

And their proficiency in telling time. Next Platinum game review copy should come with this as the free swag:
fBnWy0u.jpg

RS4-

Is there no point in Very Hard?

No. Unless you care about titles (which don't have any achievements in terms of collecting them all). If you're a completionist though, I'm not 100% sure if you can meet the requirements by beating Revengeance mode and still unlock the lesser difficulty titles.

One title requires you to beat the game with S rank on all difficulties though.

Very Hard remixes the encounters. I assume Revengeance does as well, or just uses Very Hard's with higher damage ratios.

I only played Chapter 1 on Very Hard, then ended up finishing it on Revengeance; iirc, Rev. is just very hard with more health and damage. I can't say for certain if later levels have the same number of enemies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
do you define frustration as 'I died three times so I threw my controller against the wall'?

I mean, I've fought enemies that felt impossible for the first few minutes but now I can literally dismantle them like any other schmuck. I'm not that far in though.

I also tend to make things hard on myself because I like riposting so much. Especially on the big sword guys who counter your counter etc.

No, I'm okay with dying. I too love parry mechanics, so it sounds like Hard is the way to start.

Top Bottom