• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 HD coming to Nvidia Shield tomorrow [out now]

I have to test this when back from Gamescom. I must know.

I doubt you'll be pleased, none of the Shield TV ports outside Half Lufe were much good. Heck, Revengence got a 30fps port with pretty big drops.

For anyone wondering about porting - NVidia usually finances these ports themselves for Android so I wouldn't count on anything for other platforms.

I doubt you'll be pleased, none of the Shield TV ports outside Half Lufe were much good. Heck, Revengence got a 30fps port with pretty big drops.

For anyone wondering about porting - NVidia usually finances these ports themselves for Android so I wouldn't count on anything for other platforms.

There isn't really a definitive version of MGS2 yet so I'm eager to give this a chance at least.

huh, okay.

It's weird though when the camera pans down and its nothing there :p

2685553-7558250288-2KTNZ.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was patched? Or am I imagining things?

kc44135

Good to see this game accessible on modern hardware. MGS2 isn't my favorite, but I had a lot of fun with it. Even if Nvidia paid for it, it shows Konami isn't avoidant of the Metal Gear series. Though I almost feel a little bad, because most will see this and ask "will we be seeing this on X platform?", or "what about MGS3?".

Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm taking away from it. Konami isn't necessarily averse to porting these games in the future. It's really sad to think that MG1-4 aren't currently accessible on modern hardware (except for those supposedly kinda bad PC ports of MGS1 and 2, which aren't even available in Steam), and I was honestly concerned that Konami might never want to port these games again just because of Kojima's involvement in them. I mean, they seemingly cancelled Silent Hills (rather than just giving it to another team) simply because of his involvement with it. There certainly seems to be some bad blood there. Anyway, I sincerely hope these games make it to modern platforms (that are more popular than Shield) one day, in one form or another.

Is this the most unexpected announcement of the year so far?

Amazing news. I hope this means any chances to see MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker in PC.

RedSwirl

Would Konami even bother to port anything MGS-related at this point?

Honestly I just hope it ends up on Xbox BC.

Ducktail

Guessing this is $15 like the Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Rising, Resident Evil 5 ports.

I'm honestly shocked it can run those games. Running Tomb Raider is a seriously impressive feat. Well, I mean, if it does run well and look good.

I'm not going to port beg, but we all know which other console would be a good fit for this game too.

I'm honestly shocked it can run those games. Running Tomb Raider is a seriously impressive feat. Well, I mean, if it does run well and look good.

I'm not going to port beg, but we all know which other console would be a good fit for this game too.

Eh, it's more powerful than a 360 so you'd expect it could run GTA V too, in theory. The only problem is that running on top of Android costs quite a bit of performance. TECHNICALLY all of those games should be able to perform better than 360... and they probably would if they were built for Switch. But they're not, and they don't.

MrKeinov

I think if they put the whole Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on Steam at a discount price, it would sell.

Insant 250k sales for Bayonetta 1 should give a hint to these companies. They can't go wrong with this approach. And Bayonetta is more niche compared to MGS. I'm really hopeful that they'll stealth release them just like other developers. One by one though. They can milk it more by bi monthly and scheduled releases rather than entire collection at once.

Mivey

Only Twin Snakes on Gamecube.

It was so much more overdramatic in comparison to the whole series and I mean even more so than MGS2 was.
Before Rising, maybe. Now it fits perfectly in that vision of Metal Gear. Also, I would argue that (trying to) reinvent itself all the time is the only characteristic of Kojima's games.

M3d10n

The only evidence of this thing even coming out is a friggin' tweet, you're hilariously jumping to conclusions. It's very possible that other ports are coming as well.

The NVidia Shield never was and still isn't part of anyone's multiplatform strategies and most high profile games that got ported to it were handled by their own internal studio, so if this port is indeed coming to the Shield, it's solely due to NVidia's own port-hunting initiative and can't be used as an indication of something else.

BTW, if you look at the games listed in the above URL, you'll see that the none of them that are exclusive to the Shield TV broke 10k installs. Games like Doom 3, Portal and HL2, which can be played on the Shield Tablet and Shield Handheld are the only ones that did.

No way in hell Konami (in its current form) of all publishers would pay someone to port a game like MGS2 to have it sell at most 10k units.

Is it a native Shield game? If so I would venture to guess it may be them testing out a potential Switch release as it's based of a Shield tablet, at least that's the only logical reason to put it on just the Shield...

KNT-Zero

Nvidia Shield? Isn't it running Android on its core? Would that mean this could be playable on other Android devices? Hmmmmm....

MrKeinov

Nvidia Shield? Isn't it running Android on its core? Would that mean this could be playable on other Android devices? Hmmmmm....

As far as I know there's no phone or tablet that uses Tegra X1. I remember 4-5 years ago, there was a flagship phone by HTC that used the latest tegra at the time. I wonder why they abandoned the ship. Only Shield TV and Nintendo Switch has X1 now... Which is really odd and makes me wonder if Nvidia will continue releasing new iterations and supporting this hardware. I think MGS:R only had 1000-5000 downloads and 60 ratings on the playstore. If they slowly release cult games the next tablet with Tegra X2(3?) would be very attractive to me.

Toybasher

Neo Member
I'm hearing rumors this is fake, but I have no idea if true.

It's just so..bizarre. Someone on Reddit mentioned the 2017 copyright when it should be 2013-2017 or whenever the original HD port released. Not to mention the fact that the Kojima title is still there, and the fact out of the blue it's released tomorrow, and for such a "obscure" system.

Hoping it's true, though. We'd be one more step closer to a PC release.

Hektor

Do we know if this was fake in the end? It did say tomorrow (today)

I suppose the pic was coming from gamescom and therefore the statement that twitter user got could be reffering to German time? In that case its just about 1pm yet, so still half a day left

I suppose the pic was coming from gamescom and therefore the statement that twitter user got could be reffering to German time? In that case its just about 1pm yet, so still half a day left

Indeed the fella who shared the picture is a Gamescom attendent who has no reason to make this up. Check out his other tweets.

Toybasher

Neo Member

No idea. https://twitter.com/PiersHR The guy on twitter SEEMS legit, and he has other screenshots undeniably from gamescom, so I dunno why he'd lie about this just to get peoples hopes up.

Also "Tomorrow" it's 7 AM. Time zones, not to mention many shield games have a pc port, it's possible it might go live when the steam store updates tonight or whatever alongside a PC release. (I have no actual factual evidence to backup my claim, and it's unlikely but who knows.)

EDIT: All we'd really need is word from Konami. You'd think they'd be posting it on their twitter or on gamescom's twitter. Do we know the twitters of any other attendants?

No, it was real. It was uploaded to the play store august 10, and I have it on my Shield TV.

Search Metal Gear on the Shield and you'll find it, it's not listed anywhere else yet.

Not really. The X1 out classes every other Android SoC and the games usually explicitly target Tegra features. Even if you got it to boot they'd either run like shit, crash or have massive graphical glitches.

On the other hand, this isn't exactly a demanding game. Maybe you'll have luck... But it's most likely financed by Nvidia (well, it does boot with the Nvidia Lightspeed Studios Logo) so I wouldn't count on an official release for other devices.

No, it was real. It was uploaded to the play store august 10, and I have it on my Shield TV.

Search Metal Gear on the Shield and you'll find it, it's not listed anywhere else yet.

Not really. The X1 out classes every other Android SoC and the games explicitly target Tegra features. Even if you got it to boot they'd either run like shit, crash or have massive graphical glitches.

Thanks for the clarification. Had no reason to doubt the source but it's always good to hear this!

Toybasher

Neo Member

I don't see it on the play store, but I'm using the internet. (don't have a shield)

Can you post a screenie? I'm curious how it was uploaded august 10th, yet released "today'.

When did you see it appear on the store?

How good of a port is it, anyway? Does it have the substance features like the VR missions, snake tales, etc?

"Description

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD Edition is a timeless stealth-action classic which defined the tactical espionage genre back in 2001, and now it's available on NVIDIA SHIELD TV! Play as the legendary hero, Solid Snake, as he sets out in pursuit of a tanker carrying a new Metal Gear prototype, and as Raiden, a rookie within the special ops unit, FOXHOUND, sent to infiltrate the Big Shell and rescue the US President from a mysterious group called Dead Cell. World peace hangs in the balance.

Features

- Plays great on NVIDIA SHIELD TV.
- Immersive story: Delve into the intrigue of the Metal Gear Solid franchise and continue the story of Solid Snake and his associates.
- Intense moves: Advanced moves and infiltration methods include diving somersaults, hanging from ledges, and using disguises.
- Realistic environments: Interactive environment where bullets pierce steam pipes, smoke reveals laser beams, and wet shoes leave footprints.
- HD edition: Includes the full Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty game + VR Missions.

Toybasher

Neo Member
I hope this is the future for MGS.
Just endless ports and maybe some very 1:1 remakes.

This thread got port begging real fast.

edit. Hated it on Vita. Not sure why I'd want to play these games on a hand held.

Agreed. A steam port would sell well. (Just going to be hard to get the controls working for kb+m, I mean how the heck are you going to aim? Remove the "Lock aim in place" function and just have you move with WASD and use mouse to rotate?)

Hopefully that is the next step. Only other issue would be some dialogue needing re-recording. (Use the directional keys to swim instead of use the left analogue stick to swim, etc.)

How good of a port is it, anyway? Does it have the substance features like the VR missions, snake tales, etc?

Yes, it has the VR missions and Snake Tales, etc.

I haven't played more than an hour or two, but outside of the random Android induced hitching it's fine. 720p, but I don't have other HD versions to compare too. Frame rate is solid.

Top Bottom