• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 HD coming to Nvidia Shield tomorrow [out now]

M3d10n

They have no reason to do that. They did the opposite with Metal Gear Rising. As anti-consumer as the company has been, they have no reason to intentionally make decisions that actually hemorrhage money. I'd expect a PC/PS4/XB1 release of the game too, and wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing the same thing for MGS 3 HD.

This port is paid for by NVidia, for sure. Konami isn't spending a dime here. It's also very likely being done by an NVidia-hired dev like Gaslight, who did the Tomb Raider 2013 port.

Randomizer

Such a strange announcement and all round decision. Why wouldn't they release it together with MGS3? Why Shield only? Is the NVidia shield still even relevant or being pushed by NVidia?

Maybe a Switch port is in the works since it's basically the same specs.

Such a strange announcement and all round decision. Why wouldn't they release it together with MGS3? Why Shield only? Is the NVidia shield still even relevant or being pushed by NVidia?

You need games to make your hardware more appealing, it's possible Nvidia payed for a game that isn't on any other modern platform.

Then again it's also possible that this is one of a few ports in development.

Oh rad, I'll play MGS2 on my NVidia Shield!

Mur7fdR.png

Nope. These games are Tetra X1 only, they won't even boot on the Tetra K1 tablet.

Oh. Okay. I guess I'll just keep playing roms and shit on this thing. :(

gafneo

Banned
I don't think it works that way. They may have the same hardware but the Switch uses a very different API without the Android layer that the Shield uses, so it would still probably be a bit of a porting process.
I bet you can hack a Switch API to run on a commercial Shield.

kuYuri

This is the same company that released MGS3 on 3DS only, and not any other MGS game on it. Who the fuck knows anymore.

nampad

Nividia is still money hating ports?
Thought they are stop pushing the platform, especially after the Switch deal, which is why they allegedly cancelled the the Shield portable.

Nvidia does what Steamdon't

Seriously how is a remaster of one of the GOATs on Nvidia Shield and not Steam rofl Konami/whoever else is involved

RootCause

Man, the MGS series needs to be ported to pc. Just replace or blur every promotional material, and mute references to Sony /Apple products.

Ludens

Banned
I would understand an Android/iOS port, but a Shield one? Really?
When there's Steam with so many users waiting to buy each entry of the franchise?

2015: Fuck Konami, I'm never buying their shit again!
2017: Oh sweet, 15 year old game ported to an overgrown tablet, I'll buy that

I'd probably buy a PC port

Cartho

It's hilarious that this is coming out on Nvidia Shield and meanwhile Sony are putting fucking Red Faction 2 onto PS4. Seriously Sony, bring MGS to the PS4 backwards compat thing.

I actually read the thread title as coming to Nintendo Switch and almost had a heart attack. Then I was sad :(

FinalAres

It's hilarious that this is coming out on Nvidia Shield and meanwhile Sony are putting fucking Red Faction 2 onto PS4. Seriously Sony, bring MGS to the PS4 backwards compat thing.

I actually read the thread title as coming to Nintendo Switch and almost had a heart attack. Then I was sad :(

Heck no, I want the HD Remasters of MGS, not the crappy PS2 on PS4.

For me PS2 on PS4 should be for any game that hasn't already got a decent remaster.

Paragon

Hopefully there will be a definitive version released on Steam, but PS2 emulation is getting to be in a pretty good state these days.
Aside from the HUD stretching, (modified) widescreen patches work well.

They appear but it's inconsistent for some reason. I've seen them when I replayed my PS3 HD collection.
Really confused as to why this isn't announced for PC as well but maybe that's for later.
This sort of thing is why I generally prefer to play the original version of games if it's an option, rather than "HD" versions.
The teams doing these ports often overlook things or create new bugs that weren't there before, and "remastered" assets often look much worse than the originals. See Bioshock 1 & 2 as examples of that.

The Sonic 2 mobile of MGS.
At least Sonic 1+2 on mobile makes it widely available to people.
I dont know a single steam friend who owns a Nvidia Shield.
Widely available, but not in a format that most people want to play. It's such a bizarre thing for the games to have only been released on mobile - especially now with the release of Sonic Mania.

Oh rad, I'll play MGS2 on my NVidia Shield!
http://i.imgur.com/Mur7fdR.png
Oh. Okay. I guess I'll just keep playing roms and shit on this thing. :(
I wish that NVIDIA would release an updated Shield handheld.
That original design was never released outside the US, and I have no interest in buying a tablet and propping it up somewhere to play games with a wireless controller.
Especially with the popularity of the Switch, I could see a new Shield handheld doing much better these days.
But providing hardware for the Switch probably means that they don't want to compete with it.

I would buy a Switch in a heartbeat if it had an official NVIDIA GameStream or Steam In-Home Streaming app.
I said the same thing about the original Vita with its OLED display - though streaming probably wouldn't have worked as well with it.
It's a huge missed opportunity.

Too bad no modern system support pressure sensitive buttons on their controllers anymore. We will never have a perfect port imo.
Was it supported for anything beside shooting? You can always map that to the analog triggers.
That said, I don't think that it's a particularly good gameplay mechanic anyway. LT to aim and RT to shoot makes more sense.

How was that MGS2 PC version by the way? I never tried it.

By far the worst way to experience MGS2 to date, including digital graphic novels and YouTube Let's Plays. It was really janky and had graphical issues that I had on every GPU I owned which consisted of invisible enemies.

M3d10n

Lol what?
If you want to believe Konami would spend money of their own porting this to the NVidia Shield of all things before the likes of PS4 and XB1, feel free to.

There aren't sales figures for the Shield anywhere, but it doesn't even shows up in set top box market share reports, so they are likely to be very niche. Plus NVidia already has a history of paying for Shield ports.

dracula_x

If you want to believe Konami would spend money of their own porting this to the NVidia Shield of all things before the likes of PS4 and XB1, feel free to.

There aren't sales figures for the Shield anywhere, but it doesn't even shows up in set top box market share reports, so they are likely to be very niche. Plus NVidia already has a history of paying for Shield ports.

yeah.

for example, in US even Ouya outsold Shield (as for 2016):

LTD

TV ~ 187.6
OUYA ~ 67.8
SHIELD ~ 30.5

The only evidence of this thing even coming out is a friggin' tweet, you're hilariously jumping to conclusions. It's very possible that other ports are coming as well.

Konami, I would buy digital copies of MGS 2, 3, PW HD and pack my HD Collection discs away if you made it backwards compatible on XB1. Figured that would be easier than Shield ports, but I'm not the one making millions from
pachinko
games.

Man, the MGS series needs to be ported to pc. Just replace or blur every promotional material, and mute references to Sony /Apple products.

Nah, I'll leave those on if I could. Just for comedic purposes, specially Otacon jizzing all over the PS3 in MGS4:

"Look Snake it's a PlayStation 3"
"A PS3 Huh?"
"Yes, you don't have to change disks any more, and it's powered by CELL, so powerful it makes HAL from 2001 a space odyssey look like a retard in comparison"

This while running the game at 1080p 60 FPS maxed with a GTX 1050 at 20% usage would be hilarious.

Good to see this game accessible on modern hardware. MGS2 isn't my favorite, but I had a lot of fun with it. Even if Nvidia paid for it, it shows Konami isn't avoidant of the Metal Gear series. Though I almost feel a little bad, because most will see this and ask "will we be seeing this on X platform?", or "what about MGS3?".

Top Bottom