• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

Xellos

Played through the demo a few times. I don't think this is a bad port at all. Framerate isn't 30fps but it is pretty stable and smooth enough to be playable. It's a bit disappointing but not a deal breaker for me. Controls are fine with CPP, not so much without it. My main complaint is the 3D->2D transition when changing to FPS aiming. It isn't the loss of 3D that bothers me, but rather the quick shift in focus from 3D to 2D and back again to 3D when exiting FPS view. I think it was starting to give me a headache.

Someone on 3DSForums claims to have gotten the game early and posted an impression stating the that framerate has improved and that the visuals are noticeably better then the PS2 version. This goes in line with the review statements.

He/she hasn't posted pictures or anything though, so I wouldn't take anything from it just yet.

Hard to believe the framerate will improve much between the demo and the final build, but it would be a pleasant surprise if the game could hit 30fps.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For the record, this was the exact demo I played at E3, so my guess is it's not totally indicative of the final product. That being said, it's probably safe to say that while the framerate might be more solid in the official release, I legitimately doubt it'll be above a constant 20. Plus, the whole ABXY camera controls might be the most embarrassing thing I've seen in gaming this year. Zero excuse for that crap, when the 3DS has other, non-attachment options.

Either way, playing the demo of this twice is enough for me to pass. Unless something significant changes.

I may as well link to the person I was talking about saying this - credit's due, he posted this comparison shot:

Su8nL.jpg

I must say the improvements are noticeable, though the other image is obviously much cleaner due to resolution.

HOLY FINGERNAIL TEXTURE DOWNGRADES BATMAN!!!!1

:p

Orcastar

Tried the demo, not impressed. The whole time I kept asking myself "why would I play this on 3DS with fiddly controls (no CPP) when I could pop in my PS2 copy or buy the HD collection?" and I couldn't come up with a single answer.

sfried

Tried the demo, not impressed. The whole time I kept asking myself "why would I play this on 3DS with fiddly controls (no CPP) when I could pop in my PS2 copy or buy the HD collection?" and I couldn't come up with a single answer.
Because the Demo is an older build and the final one is much improved?
For the record, this was the exact demo I played at E3, so my guess is it's not totally indicative of the final product. That being said, it's probably safe to say that while the framerate might be more solid in the official release, I legitimately doubt it'll be above a constant 20. Plus, the whole ABXY camera controls might be the most embarrassing thing I've seen in gaming this year. Zero excuse for that crap, when the 3DS has other, non-attachment options.
Here's hoping the folks at KojiPro took some hints with Capcom and gyro aiming.

AwRy108

I was thinking the same thing. Definitely feels like a step backwards in terms of controls, and reminds me of why I stopped playing Peace Walker on the PSP.

But for those who may have missed this game--one of the greatest console games EVER--and only have a 3DS, then it's worth playing.

sfried

Does the final build have less fiddly controls when not using the CPP? If not, then I still don't see the point. A slight visual upgrade does nothing for me.
Considering the demo control options feel gimped (and it's a year old build), I'm inclined to believed they should. RE:R is perfect without any extra peripherals and so should this.

jackdoe

Considering the demo control options feel gimped (and it's a year old build), I'm inclined to believed they should. RE:R is perfect without any extra peripherals and so should this.
Why? I'm completely inclined to believe that the RE:R dev team is a much more competent/talented and much better funded then the MGS3D team. So what happens in one case doesn't necessarily apply in the other.

Wolfe

But for those who may have missed this game--one of the greatest console games EVER--and only have a 3DS, then it's worth playing.

Guess what, I own the game on PS2 but never got around to playing it (didn't pick it up until late when it was 10 bucks) and I'm excited to play the 3DS version as my first time. To me the 3D adds so much to these games, I honestly do not want to play any of my 3DS games with the 3D off, ever :p

It would be one thing if the port was as bad as the demo but the reviews are giving me the impression that the final build is good so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Henke

I haven't had any real problems with the 3DS since I bought it less than a week ago, but I couldn't focus at all on the images listed with the eShop demo. Has anyone else had a similar problem?...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

There's no reason to expect the controls to be handled better in the final product, sans CPP. Kojipro doesn't really have a solid track record when it comes to controls at all.

Shoot, even in the original game it was a pain in the ass to throw a grenade just the way you wanted it because of the pressure-sensitive buttons. (Slicing necks was done well, though)

NateDrake

Played the demo with CPP & it played really well. Without CPP it felt just like PW, so it'll be love/hate for people. Didn't seem like a bad port and the touch-screen menu is a nice touch.

I got a chance to play this, and although I love MGS3 to death, this is quite a disappointment.
The modern refinements are great (crouch sneaking, over-the-shoulder aiming, etc.) are great, the framerate and overall graphics are...not that great. If it is true that this is an older build then I can understand, but my overall impression was meh.

Thoraxes

Because i'm a whore for the MGS franchise?

Played the demo with CPP & it played really well. Without CPP it felt just like PW, so it'll be love/hate for people. Didn't seem like a bad port and the touch-screen menu is a nice touch.
Yeah, I was one of those people who couldn't stand the PW controls so I actually bought a CPP and it is infinitely more playable for me with it.

abasm

Man, that really does look bad. Certainly not a Mario 3D in my eyes.

The 3D really brings everything together, though. The original was designed to be drab to make it harder to see enemies, but being able to perceive depth helps mitigate that somewhat.

Also, seeing individual blades of grass in 3D never gets old.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I found this demo to be a real letdown. The frame rate is not great, and the controls are awkward and unmanageable, no matter if you're using the Circle Pad Pro. The biggest disappointment is that the touch screen menus are just as slow and hard to navigate as the game's original menus -- in fact, I'd say they're even more so.

Another oddity is that switchiong to first-person aiming almost bugs my eyes out of my head, because the 3D suddenly goes askew, and then, when your hand appears, it goes completely flat. It literally hurts every time.

After playing through half of the HD collection version on PS3, this is just too bad.

OmegaZero

Tsk, tsk. So many conflicting reports.

I'll put up a video of the demo and the final game, if I manage to snag an early copy today/tomorrow.

Please.
I'm just going to stop speculating and wait until I see actual footage/screens/GAF impressions.

*opens MGS3D demo for the fourth time*

Wolfe

I found this demo to be a real letdown. The frame rate is not great, and the controls are awkward and unmanageable, no matter if you're using the Circle Pad Pro. The biggest disappointment is that the touch screen menus are just as slow and hard to navigate as the game's original menus -- in fact, I'd say they're even more so.

Another oddity is that switchiong to first-person aiming almost bugs my eyes out of my head, because the 3D suddenly goes askew, and then, when your hand appears, it goes completely flat. It literally hurts every time.

After playing through half of the HD collection version on PS3, this is just too bad.

So everyone else is just wrong? Cool.

hatchx

Banned
I switched the aiming speed to 4 and it's a bit better.

I've played the demo three times now, and it is getting better. The graphics are not bad for such a small screen, it's mostly the controls that bothered me and I'm getting over it.

It really is such a fantastic game. MGS3 is one of my favorite games ever. I might have to pick this up sooner or later just for the hell of it.

I wonder what the average, casual gamer thinks of the demo. Especially a gamer who has never played an Metal Gear Solid. Wonder if they are as picky as GAF, wonder if the controls would be way to much for the average audience, or if they are impressed. Curious indeed.

loosus

Banned
Whoa. This game is fucking atrocious. The PS2 version had a ton of problems, but this version puts the icing on the cake. Cancel this shit and start over, Konami, or risk damaging what little is left of the Metal Gear name.

Randdalf

First ever time I've played a MGS game, not really that impressed.

First time I tried the demo I turned it off after 5 minutes, couldn't bear the controls. Played through the full demo now, and whilst it has entirely turned me off buying the game, it's not as bad as I thought it was originally. The aiming controls took some adjusting to get used to, but I was pretty much doing it naturally by the end. What I missed most of all were the trappings of modern stealth games. For instance, the cover system is kind of horrible, having to hold forward to stick to cover feels awkward and I'd really love to be able to see enemies on the map since the FOV is often so limited when you're crawling on the ground. It feels very dated in that regard. The 3D turning off was jarring and it doesn't just happen when you're aiming in FPS mode, it also does it after you've climbed the tree (the purpose of which I couldn't figure out - landing on a patrol?). I was itching for RE:R controls the whole time.

OmegaZero

Tsk, tsk. So many conflicting reports.

I'll put up a video of the demo and the final game, if I manage to snag an early copy today/tomorrow.

Oh, a heads up. The topic has been updated with the location of the place:

"...the store is Fordham Game World. It's on Fordham Road right a couple blocks before Creston Avenue."

The poster also claims he cannot post pictures, so we'll just have to see when Vyse picks it up. :/

http://3dsforums.com/636592-post53.html

Korosenai

I hate the controls, and I don't feel like paying $20 for a circle pad pro right now, so looks like i'm passing.

I played 15 seconds of the demo and had to quit.

First ever time I've played a MGS game, not really that impressed.

First time I tried the demo I turned it off after 5 minutes, couldn't bear the controls. Played through the full demo now, and whilst it has entirely turned me off buying the game, it's not as bad as I thought it was originally. The aiming controls took some adjusting to get used to, but I was pretty much doing it naturally by the end. What I missed most of all were the trappings of modern stealth games. For instance, the cover system is kind of horrible, having to hold forward to stick to cover feels awkward and I'd really love to be able to see enemies on the map since the FOV is often so limited when you're crawling on the ground. It feels very dated in that regard. The 3D turning off was jarring and it doesn't just happen when you're aiming in FPS mode, it also does it after you've climbed the tree (the purpose of which I couldn't figure out - landing on a patrol?). I was itching for RE:R controls the whole time.

I love MGS, but this demo was absolutely terrible. The visuals actually aren't that bad to me while playing. I think it looks decent, but the framerate and controls are a killer. Try another MGS title that isn't a portable. None of them really come close to capturing how nice they are on consoles.

Emitan

I don't care about the graphics, they don't bother me, but I'm disappointed if the frame rate is still this bad

kunonabi

I don't care about the graphics, they don't bother me, but I'm disappointed if the frame rate is still this bad

yeah the visuals are fine for me but that framerate is too big a deal breaker if it stays that way. I actually prefer the controls apart from using up on the dpad as the action button.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I just got the game. The framerate, the image quality...it feels the same as the demo to me. I forget about it after awhile. Still, a little disappointing.

Ridley327

Can you try calling the radio and get into conversations with the various characters? We really need to find out about that one website's claim of them cutting out audio.

what's with major franchises being botched on the 3ds? No online/franchise in Madden, no story mode in Tekken, and a shitty Metal Gear port. Not to mention the first go around with RE.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It is more likely that some people just aren't very sensitive to framerate. The same is going to be true of GAF once Gaffers start getting the game. DF will probably be able to measure things.

(this isn't about mutagenic. My belief is that the demo is most likely representative.)

Oddduck

So I have a question. I'm going to assume most of you didnt play Peace Walker when it first came out on PSP, right?

Top Bottom