• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

jackdoe

It is more likely that some people just aren't very sensitive to framerate. The same is going to be true of GAF once Gaffers start getting the game. DF will probably be able to measure things.

(this isn't about mutagenic. My belief is that the demo is most likely representative.)
I don't know, I mean I was able to withstand the sub 30 fps for Castlevania, but the framerate for the cutscenes in the demo really popped out at me (probably because of the heavy ghosting involved as well).

So I have a question. I'm going to assume most of you didnt play Peace Walker when it first came out on PSP, right?
I did. I only put up with the piss poor controls and poor framerate because it was new material. Now that I have the HD version, I don't have to touch it ever again.

Definitely. Give me a sec.

Thanks, it'd be appreciated -- any Tom, Dick or Harry can make a claim on the internet about a game these days - it's best to know we're definitely dealing with someone who was able to pick it up.

It's annoying that this isn't out until March 9th over here...

is it common for street dates to be broken like this over there?

Ridley327

It's annoying that this isn't out until March 9th over here...

is it common for street dates to be broken like this over there?

Here in the US? Publishers really only go after big retailers like Best Buy or Gamestop should someone break street date on a title. The mom & pops, on the other hand? Not so much.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
mgs3d.jpg

Not sure why it rotated my pic when I uploaded. Cell phone pic.

I've only played MGS1, the GCN remake and Peace Walker. Peace Walker i somehow managed to enjoy and actually finish, but i can't really put into words why ... i find these games are just weird in the amount of crap people accept!

I mean, playing this demo, why aren't any of the alligators in the first segment doing anything? I don't want to get down and dirty with them but it's like, isn't this supposed to be somewhat realistic? Why can i just stroll past 4 of them? It's like instantly destroying the feeling of immersion.

Then later on i alerted a guard & went into a crawl to wait it out. Before it even started to get safe, in the corner of my viewpoint, a guard runs right past me ... it's often unpredictable and flat out retarded to watch it play out.

Then i'm crawling towards a hollow tree to hide, but slightly clipping it causes Snake to stand up and be detected! Ugh!!

But somehow, sneaking in itself is quite fun despite all the crappy mechanics and controls.

Tuck

I find the game quite dark. Makes me wish the 3DS had higher brightness.

Controls are ehh, workable but better suited for a console.

Graphics are alright. 3D is great, though hurt my eyes a bit.

Demo made me smile - brought back amazing memories.

OmegaZero

Also, an update on the previous 3DS Forums topic I posted about.
The poster updated the topic with pictures of the case, game, and manual.
Another poster verified that he had the game by checking the friends list.

Still don't know what to believe. @_@
Even if the graphics are just like the demo, I'll still be keeping it since it's no worse then PW for the PSP. >_>

I guess I'll have to decide once I have the game in front of me.
Would it be alright if you posted a gameplay pic, Mutagenic?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'll try once my camera is charged. But I'm telling you, the IQ and framerate are very similar. Set your expectations accordingly.

AzaK

Just downloaded it last night. Depressing doesn't express enough how I felt. The graphics are terrible. Whether this is a developer issue or 3DS h/w limit I don't know but they are abysmal. And this game truly hit home how gimped the 3ds is without a second stick when it comes to these types of games.

I lasted about 3 minutes then turned it off. Appalling.

OmegaZero

Well, specifically:

Oh, well from what I've played of the demo, it's basically the most comfortable and intuitive way of playing the game.
Unless you're used to PSP shooter face button controls or PW's controls, then they might be okay for you.

Yep. And grass pop-in is the same. So are the textures.

CCP all the way. I'm not going back to that jank PW control shyt.

Do the CPP camera controls feel tighter at least, or are the camera control and aiming still slightly slippery?
Unless that's an aiming speed/calibration thing.

OmegaZero

Have you checked all the options menu and stuff?

The Edge review specifically mentioned 3D in FPS mode.. laying in the grass

Oh, I've seen that in the demo.
Like the original game, MGS3D goes into first-person when you're crawling through a patch of grass. This view still has 3D enabled (as does the knife view).

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Have you checked all the options menu and stuff?

The Edge review specifically mentioned 3D in FPS mode.. laying in the grass

Yeah I checked all the options. Omega is right, while crawling through the grass it goes to first-person view and the 3D remains on. But when aiming in first-person, it's the same as in the demo.

Thoraxes

Yeah I checked all the options. Omega is right, while crawling through the grass it goes to first-person view and the 3D remains on. But when aiming in first-person, it's the same as in the demo.

It's probably due to the gun being closer to the perspective. I'd imagine it would fuck with the 3D quite a bit due to where its starting point needs to be because of the gun coming from first-person.

Do the CPP camera controls feel tighter at least, or are the camera control and aiming still slightly slippery?
Unless that's an aiming speed/calibration thing.
Much tighter, and you can fine-tune the camera control speeds to your liking. I personally liked both first and third-person camera speeds at 7. I would not play this without the circle-pad, but this is because I 100% hated PW PSP controls.

It's probably due to the gun being closer to the perspective. I'd imagine it would fuck with the 3D quite a bit due to where its starting point needs to be because of the gun coming from first-person.

Actually this is probably due to the crosshairs - unless they program it to physically move in the environment to land on what you're aiming at (see RE: Revelations' laser dot), you're going to have a really tough time aiming in 3D.

RE: Revelations has this problem with rifles. Through the scope you can either focus on the crosshair dot in the foreground or the enemy in the background, but not both. Either you look at the enemy and and frame him by the double image of dots you see, or you do the reverse, focusing on the dot and aiming between the double image of enemies you see. It's very disconcerting. And you can't just close one eye, because then the dot and enemy are offset from each other left or right, depending on which eye you closed. I always turn off 3D to use rifles in RE.

Still it'd be nice to have options.

Thoraxes

Actually this is probably due to the crosshairs - unless they program it to physically move in the environment to land on what you're aiming at (see RE: Revelations' laser dot), you're going to have a really tough time aiming in 3D.

RE: Revelations has this problem with rifles. Through the scope you can either focus on the crosshair dot in the foreground or the enemy in the background, but not both. Either you look at the enemy and and frame him by the double image of dots you see, or you do the reverse, focusing on the dot and aiming between the double image of enemies you see. It's very disconcerting. And you can't just close one eye, because then the dot and enemy are offset from each other left or right, depending on which eye you closed. I always turn off 3D to use rifles in RE.

Still it'd be nice to have options.

Ah yeah, that makes sense too!

Wii Tank

I played through the demo and while the framerate drops were noticeable, I don't feel that it was that bad. This is pretty much my first experience playing a metal mear game so I may be a little biased. The controls didn't feel too bad for me.

Well except maybe the aiming for guns. I couldn't figure out how to hit anything. Maybe I just
suck.

I really enjoyed little things like crawling through the grass in first person with the 3D. I'll probably still buy this anyway

Soi-Fong

For the record, this was the exact demo I played at E3, so my guess is it's not totally indicative of the final product. That being said, it's probably safe to say that while the framerate might be more solid in the official release, I legitimately doubt it'll be above a constant 20. Plus, the whole ABXY camera controls might be the most embarrassing thing I've seen in gaming this year. Zero excuse for that crap, when the 3DS has other, non-attachment options.

Either way, playing the demo of this twice is enough for me to pass. Unless something significant changes.

Yup, it's the same shitty demo they had on the E3 floor so not exactly indicative of final product, but yeah highly doubt it'll go above 20 frames.

Still a shitty game though I must admit just from the demo.

played a bit on a friends 3ds........how will the face-button aiming scheme work when the action gets thick and when multiple enemies attack snake?

dreamahm

Banned
Anyone who buy this game advice us if this game deserve to get or not.

I am really excite to put my hand on it but the price mmmm..... 40$ for low quality remake.

MLH

Well I gave the demo a play. The game looks fine IMO, but aliasing is noticeable and choppy frame rates during cut-scenes is also really poor. I would have expected Konami to at least attempt to fix these; for instance, allowing players to disable 3D (like in Super Street Fighter 4 3D) so that the game would run a little faster. If that didn't work in improving the cut-scene frame rates they they could have used FMVs instead.

As for the controls: I tried both methods offered, CPP works well but I'm not a fan of the other controls. In Peace Walker there were 3 control styles iirc, will these other control systems be integrated into the final version?

Konami was a bit overambitious in releasing MGS3 so soon, with limited card sizes and probable time constraints this game has certainly suffered. Perhaps a port of Peace Walker or The Twin Snakes would have worked better. (And at least people would have a reason to buy Twin Snakes with there being no HD release).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well I gave the demo a play. The game looks fine IMO, but aliasing is noticeable and choppy frame rates during cut-scenes is also really poor. I would have expected Konami to at least attempt to fix these; for instance, allowing players to disable 3D (like in Super Street Fighter 4 3D) so that the game would run a little faster. If that didn't work in improving the cut-scene frame rates they they could have used FMVs instead.

As for the controls: I tried both methods offered, CPP works well but I'm not a fan of the other controls. In Peace Walker there were 3 control styles iirc, will these other control systems be integrated into the final version?

Konami was a bit overambitious in releasing MGS3 so soon, with limited card sizes and probable time constraints this game has certainly suffered. Perhaps a port of Peace Walker or The Twin Snakes would have worked better. (And at least people would have a reason to buy Twin Snakes with there being no HD release).

Yeah, I imagine it's licensing issues; but I would have MUCH preferred to get Twin Snakes on the portable, as there's no HD port of that (save for Dolphin, which for me, runs pretty poorly on that game).

I really want to get this, as having MGS3 on the go sounds great, and I'm a MASSIVE MGS fan. But I also don't want to support a shoddy port. I feel like Konami has been really milking the franchise lately. Which I can deal with. But when they start releasing sub-par ports of nearly decade-old games, I feel like I need to draw a line.

Can't wait for gaming outlets to start giving this game 9/10 while at the same time complaining Vita is getting console ports not suitable for portable, lol.

Cdammen

I really liked the demo and moving the camera with the buttons worked well enough. Really liked the interface changes, I think I'll be buying this one. Never played MGS3 back then. I was way to frustrated with the controls back then since I'd recently played Splinter Cell. But now, on a portable, I might just take the time :)

Just downloaded it last night. Depressing doesn't express enough how I felt. The graphics are terrible. Whether this is a developer issue or 3DS h/w limit I don't know but they are abysmal. And this game truly hit home how gimped the 3ds is without a second stick when it comes to these types of games.

I lasted about 3 minutes then turned it off. Appalling.

it's a developer issue. RE: Revelations looks and runs a lot better (presuming final game runs the same as this).

Can't wait for gaming outlets to start giving this game 9/10 while at the same time complaining Vita is getting console ports not suitable for portable, lol.

i can't see that happening for a few reasons. one is that this isn't going to get many 9/10s.

Top Bottom