• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I was fighting
Laughing Octopus
and right when I prevailed, we had a power surge. Had to start over. Didn't mind it though.

I have to say something. My first foray into this series was MGS2. I played it for about an hour and found the action nerve-wracking (I just don't like stealth), the controls stiff and robotic, and the cutscenes ridiculous.

MGS4 is one of the most awesome games I've ever played.

Gribbix

I have a little anecdote from the beginning of Act 3:

So I managed to follow the resistance member undetected right up until he's about to cross the street leading directly to the resistance hideout. I was waiting patiently as he's about to cross when I hear a patrol truck coming so I hide inside the barrel and watch as the patrol truck slams into the resistance member who dies instantly. The truck then stopped since the body was blocking the path. It then immediately drove off once his body faded away. I initially thought it was a scripted event until I found another resistance member and followed him down the same path except this time he avoided being run over.

:lol forgot to look at the
M82 rifle
description until now.

"Virtually invincible against any enemy anywhere from short to long range. Recommended by Hideo Kojima."
:lol

Ello

eso76 said:
it needs to be stressed again how awesome MGS4 is for the fans though.

Otacon telling you to switch discs
isn't mocking the x360, it happens at exactly the same point in shadow moses where you had to change discs in MGS1. And Psycho mantis not being able to read the memory card and make your controller move was genius, but i wonder what happens if you have a dual shock 3 ?

But...no theater mode ??? that sucks.

He says
Vibration is back!!!!!!

Somnia

(No Spoilers) So I just finished the game...my god it was by far the best video game I have ever played and I do not see it being matched anytime soon. I have not been this moved by anything done in Hollywood in years...whoever says games cannot be art or match that of Hollywood are wrong. I just cannot see anything topping this in the foreseeable future. I can't put it into words about how good that game really was...

Spruchy

eso76 said:
it needs to be stressed again how awesome MGS4 is for the fans though.

Otacon telling you to switch discs
isn't mocking the x360, it happens at exactly the same point in shadow moses where you had to change discs in MGS1. And Psycho mantis not being able to read the memory card and make your controller move was genius, but i wonder what happens if you have a dual shock 3 ?

But...no theater mode ??? that sucks.

if you have dual shock 3 it vibrates like it did in mgs and then a picture of dual shcok 3 pops up via the flashback thing and he screams VIBRATION........IS BACK!!!

MGS3 was perfect. I love MGS4 but it felt like the story was just thrown together to answer all the questions raised from previous games. I would have preferred some answers left to our imagination. Kojima Pro should've worked on a better storyline that maybe didn't answer everything.

Xtyle

GalacticAE said:
MGS3 was perfect. I love MGS4 but it felt like the story was just thrown together to answer all the questions raised from previous games. I would have preferred some questions left to our imagination. Kojima Pro should've worked on a better storyline that maybe didn't answer everything.

then how exactly does the series end????
It just wouldn't work as the last game...remember people begging him to direct again?
I thought it was a simpler story that didn't introduce new characters, but just built up on them...look at Snake, Otacon, Naomi, even Vamp...I thought they are more "human" in 4.
All MGS games have somewhat complex plots but non of them has a main character that is as well developed as Old Snake...it may be partly due to better graphics (better facial expression) or maybe the writing is better, but this time you really can feel his emotions and be attached to this character, rather then him telling you how he feels.

for example, the very last cutscene,
Sanke meeting Big Boss
. Snake talks very little, but you can almost feel how he feels. I did.

I got it last Friday but only opened up the package today. A few quick thoughts

Holy cow, that DUST ON THE CAMERA LENS! I had only heard about the effect, but to see it on screen as you're
anxiously making your way under falling debris
is very disorienting! I'm very early into the game, and my current mission is to
meet up with the informants
. Another very cool thing I saw early in the game: Snake was getting
exhausted
. I didn't have anything to feed him -- the rations didnt do anything -- so he was
breathing very hard
throughout the entire second half as I made my way to
meet Drebin
. I haven't played a lot, but so far I've been blown away by the game's high production values. The cutscenes are seamless and don't distract at all. I hope my friends, who've never played a single MGS before, can appreciate what they're playing. Can't way to get home from work tomorrow night and play some more!

Im actually thinking of playing twin snakes again to see if some of the stuff i learned actually fits now that i know their true intentions.
I really really want to play MGS2 again but i cant go back to that mess of a game without a new camera and full ending. A remake would be magical.

Blablurn

can't believe how many people prefer 3 over all the other games. of course, the story is awesome but I never liked the gameplay. even the subsistence camera was not that good in my opinion :/ It just didn't feel right.

4 > 2 > 1 > 3

:/

mileS

200 people. 4 years. It shows.

The amount of detail is just insane! Semi-spoiler from act 4
The dust and dirt that comes from the elevators... wow just wow... even just the sound of it is crazy.

Crazymoogle said:
:lol forgot to look at the
M82 rifle
description until now.

"Virtually invincible against any enemy anywhere from short to long range. Recommended by Hideo Kojima."
:lol

:lol thats great

Blablurn said:
can't believe how many people prefer 3 over all the other games. of course, the story is awesome but I never liked the gameplay. even the subsistence camera was not that good in my opinion :/ It just didn't feel right.

4 > 2 > 1 > 3

! ! ! ! !

Snake eater last?

Im speechless.

Blablurn said:

4 > 2 > 1 > 3

You're not alone, man. That's exactly how I would rate them. (Not to say that MGS3 is "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. This is on a scale of "incredibly fucking awesome" to "awesome." :D)

Xtyle

Blablurn said:

4 > 2 > 1 > 3

to me it is 4 > 3 = 1 > 2
I just can't seem to like 2 that much...the big shell is kind of boring compared to what we had in MGS1. The bosses weren't interesting to me at all. I also like the Hind in MGS1 more than the jet in MGS2...I just think MGS1 did it a lot better.

effingvic said:
LOLOL I just had to lmao at the
post mech fight in act 4, where ocelot is running away going "lolol cant catch me noob" and snake is limping after him :lol ah man, that was ONE HELL OF A FREAKIN FIGHT. i just wish it lasted longer :( man, this makes me yearn for more metal gear vs metal gear fights :((((

Lmao, and his little dwarf snigger as he's running backwards. That would make a great gif XD

Jtrizzy

Can anyone help me? I've finished the game twice now, but I'm trying to copy a save data to my ps3 that has the stealth camo.

I got the first North American Save from Gamefaqs, I have my directory on the usb stick

as PS3>SAVEDATA>BLUS30109G48549867>then the four files.

when I put it in the ps3 is says there is no save data on the stick...

dabookerman said:
Lmao, and his little dwarf snigger as he's running backwards. That would make a great gif XD

yes. YES! for the love of god, somebody do it! i couldnt stop cracking up..he sounds like a disney villain :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it. I didn't really take my time with it because I wanted to see what would happen next with the story and I beat it in 17hr 30minutes. I got "Eagle" for my rank.

There were a few small things that I don't like about the game, but overall it was absolutely awesome. It quickly became my favorite game of all time. I plan on starting a new game on the hardest difficulty and actually trying to be stealthy this time. They made the shooting so entertaining that I forgot the series was originally about sneaking on my first playthrough!

Awesome game and awesome series. Everyone needs to play this.

Gbeav

Banned
Just started the 5th act and I don't want to finish it just yet. Must make it last a few more days.

And yes the ladies do love me :D

Tiefooz

Man, what a drag -- the music from the post-game stat screen isn't on the soundtrack. I've played through the game twice now and going for a third (going for a stealth no-kill, which is made extra super fun by the
Solar Gun
), and it's getting to where I look forward to that goddamn song the most. :D

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Surprisingly enough, the story was making about 90% sense (considering how I haven't played the first MGS, but do own it) until they started talking about FoxDie.

What is FoxDie?

Narag

dirtmonkey37 said:
Surprisingly enough, the story was making about 90% sense (considering how I haven't played the first MGS, but do own it) until they started talking about FoxDie.

What is FoxDie?
Virus Naomi put in Snake in MGS1 that was designed to attack specific people. Namely the FOXHOUND members and Snake himself as a consequence.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just got the game yesterday and ZOMG!

One thing I wanted to ask though, when you select the iPod it says that you can listen to your own music instead of the MGS-soundtrack. I've got Fat of the Land on my PS3 HDD, how do I get it to play in the game?

Narag

neorej said:
Just got the game yesterday and ZOMG!

One thing I wanted to ask though, when you select the iPod it says that you can listen to your own music instead of the MGS-soundtrack. I've got Fat of the Land on my PS3 HDD, how do I get it to play in the game?

It is referring to the ingame tracks you find or that are already on the ipod. They override the regular music.

Darkpen

Banned
so I just listened to the first half of the recent 1up yours, and lol at the
shaking sixaxis to make rose's boobs shake
easter egg :lol

I did not know that D:

Atomspike

Just finished the game , what can i say ! it's my second favorite MGS after MGS1 ,
the last fight with liquid ocelot was epic , i felt that the 2 first acts got a lot more gameplay time than the others , i don't know why but i liked fighting the Gekkos more than the B&B , maybe because of the multiple ways you can beat them. and WTF Ubisoft logo is doing in my Metal gear?
oh i forgot , best tears technology in any game .

EekTheKat

Did anyone try to use the monitor remote during briefings?
It triggers a slideshow of pictures that pop up instead of the video feed with campbell on the nomad if you click it

Darkpen

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

What is FoxDie?
Narag said:
Virus Naomi put in Snake in MGS1 that was designed to attack specific people. Namely the FOXHOUND members and Snake himself as a consequence.
That's a poor choice of words.
Snake was included in the Foxdie program by the intent of Naomi Hunter alone, by reason of grief over her loss of her brother's sanity and life, and anger towards Snake. He was not originally part of the program.

Basically, its an engineered virus that was designed to kill specific people, but as Naomi explains in the second Act,
Foxdie has mutated inside of Snake due to his own rapid aging, IIRC

Darkpen

Banned
EekTheKat said:
Did anyone try to use the monitor remote during briefings?
It triggers a slideshow of pictures that pop up instead of the video feed with campbell on the nomad if you click it
oh snap, really? I was trying to figure out how much I could fuck around in the nomad, but no, I did not know that :D

Atomspike said:
Just finished the game , what can i say ! it's my second favorite MGS after MGS1 ,
the last fight with liquid ocelot was epic , i felt that the 2 first acts got a lot more gameplay time than the others , i don't know why but i liked fighting the Gekkos more than the B&B , maybe because of the multiple ways you can beat them. and WTF Ubisoft logo is doing in my Metal gear?
oh i forgot , best tears technology in any game .
I assume you've been on a very long blackout?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cxw91PSTRq8

Just beat the game and just shit my pants. That is all.

*End Spoiler*

If snakes journey is REALLY done, then I hope they continue the metal gear franchise with Raiden as the main character. He got a lot of shit in MGS2 from some people for being a bit of a pussy but he was so awesome in this game that even the biggest haters can't deny that. Johnny was pretty badass too once he got over his massive diarrhea problems.

Narag

Darkpen said:
That's a poor choice of words.
Snake was included in the Foxdie program by the intent of Naomi Hunter alone, by reason of grief over her loss of her brother's sanity and life, and anger towards Snake. He was not originally part of the program.

True enough, I zoned out on that part.

kiryogi

Banned
Now I have to wonder, does anyone know anything about the FROGs? Why are they women? Do they suffer from PTSD like the BB corps? Why do they die in a blue glow and disappear into dust once you touch them? It's good to know with this game they're not gender discriminate this time. Anytime ever try frisking then doing the grab action on a FROG? :D It's a fun surprise what happens. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
eso76 said:
the more i think of it, the more plot holes i found, and mostly because of that speech
ocelot gives on the top of outer haven. So he didn't actually want to control all AI's to "rule the world"; he just wanted to destroy it, to set the world free from it ? that part confused me; it makes a lot of stuff that has happened until then in mgs4 (and 1, and 2) meaningless or stretched much too far at the very least.

Also, why giving that explanation for Ocelot/Liquid stuff ? psychotherapy and nanomachines ? Did Kojima not realize he gave a reasonable explanation in MGS3 by revealing Ocelot is the Boss' and the Sorrow's son ? One would imagine he had inherited part of the sorrow's psychic powers to communicate with the dead.

There's a few things that sounded like afterthoughts, Big Boss' comeback for example, and a few too many stretches here and there, a few exaggerations to make things more dramatic (Naomi and Otacon) that were just cringeworthy.

I think everything worked perfectly in MGS3, there were no exaggerations, no forced drama, the plot was perfectly crafted from start to finish; i don't think the same can be said about mgs4.
Still, everything considered, it's probably Kojima's masterpiece, but i'd rate it lower than mgs3.
That, and despite being technically on a different level, Mgs3 characters are still more believable;
so, it's

MGS3 : perfection
MGS4 : very powerful but not as balanced, with less sense of measure (?) not as well crafted
MGS1: one of the most important games in videogames history...too little "game" though
MG2: SS : perfectly balanced, huge limitations due to hardware. Needs a remake BADLY, could be the best mgs game ever.
MG1: neat ideas, very simplistic execution though, but that was 20 years ago.
MGS2: nice stuff here and there, but often just cringeworthy.
You could not be more wrong, and I'm not just talking about what I bolded there, but that's the first thing that caught my attention.

Darkpen

Banned
kiryogi said:
Now I have to wonder, does anyone know anything about the FROGs? Why are they women? Do they suffer from PTSD like the BB corps? Why do they die in a blue glow and disappear into dust once you touch them? It's good to know with this game they're not gender discriminate this time. Anytime ever try frisking then doing the grab action on a FROG? :D It's a fun surprise what happens. :lol
yes, I tried, its funny. Though of course, I do try to not kill anyone, especially the ladies D:

Tranqs and knockout onry.

But I think you're right. I haven't come across the codec call that explains the haven soldiers (that's what they're called aside from FROGs), but I'm sure there is one somewhere.

I don't like it when people kill the haven soldiers :( the blue flames make me sad :(

Darkpen said:
You could not be more wrong, and I'm not just talking about what I bolded there, but that's the first thing that caught my attention.

Your right that his statment was a bit over the top, but you cant deny that Snake Eater had more of a "complete" story arc. You delt with amazing characters and bosses with one of the most satisfying and moving endings ever.

carlos

Just starting act 4,

I have to say the act 3 beginning was pure torture for me......I dread replaying that in future playthroughs...just too boring

Darkpen

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Your right that his statment was a bit over the top, but you cant deny that Snake Eater had more of a "complete" story arc. You delt with amazing characters and bosses with one of the most satisfying and moving endings ever.
satisfying =/= moar believable.

Are you going to seriously show me the death sequences for all of the bosses, and tell me that's believable? Are you going to seriously tell me that a dude who shoots bees out of his mouth is believable? Are you seriously convinced that when a great warrior dies in a flowerbed, all of the flowers turn red, which just happens to symbolize the scene?

The game is riddled with strong symbolism and outright silliness. It is not more believable than MGS4; in fact, its been argued that MGS3 is more like a fanciful interpretation of Big Boss's mission than it is a realistic one.

Hell, I think I should spoilertag that, but I'm not going to. MGS4's CQC conversation w/ Otacon says hi.

Jtrizzy

I felt the same way Carlos on my first playthrough of it...on the second one I did it with out a single problem. Use the face camo and body camo and follow the guy the whole time. You just have to tranq the guards a couple of times.

Cartman86

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:

Agree with both sides and could see myself switching between MGS3 being my favorite and MGS4.

Narag

Darkpen said:
satisfying =/= moar believable.

Are you going to seriously show me the death sequences for all of the bosses, and tell me that's believable? Are you going to seriously tell me that a dude who shoots bees out of his mouth is believable? Are you seriously convinced that when a great warrior dies in a flowerbed, all of the flowers turn red, which just happens to symbolize the scene?

The game is riddled with strong symbolism and outright silliness. It is not more believable than MGS4; in fact, its been argued that MGS3 is more like a fanciful interpretation of Big Boss's mission than it is a realistic one.

Hell, I think I should spoilertag that, but I'm not going to.

The game may not be but the characters are.

Cartman86

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
I felt the same way Carlos on my first playthrough of it...on the second one I did it with out a single problem. Use the face camo and body camo and follow the guy the whole time. You just have to tranq the guards a couple of times.

Same for me. I've played through it 4 times and every time since the second its been really really easy. Almost too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom