• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

JayEH

Oh wow, after all this time those guys at Reddit finally added subtitles to this Kojima Station video

"How to make a PV" - The Making of the MGSV 'Nuclear' Trailer (English Subtitles)

This is great. Glad they subbed it.

Am I the only one here who's completely addicted to FOBs? The last two weeks or so I've just been playing nothing but nonstop FOB missions. After you get into it and start to learn more about the layout of the maps and the guard placement it gets really, really fun. Feels a lot more difficult than most of the campaign which I found to be an absolute cakewalk. Plus I like the smaller more contained approach where you go in with only what you can carry and you get no outside support. Makes me feel like I'm playing one of the older MGS games sometimes.

I like stealing nukes. I'm a demon. >:)

Yeah they are a lot of fun. Good challenge too.

Alright so I defend MGSV a lot and I like the game, but I've been watching the trailers and I can't help but feel slightly disappointed over how the story ended up. I mean, I appreciate what Kojima did in the end, but the story that I was imagining before the game released was SO COOL. When I first watched the Nuclear trailer I thought that the story couldn't get any better than what I had in my head. I remember almost getting sick after watching it because of hype. And then the Elegia trailer... MAN.
I was expecting some real shit to go down with Big Boss.

Though when I think about it, the same thing happened with Rising. The trailers had a waaaayy different tone from the actual game. The trailers were all dark and shit but the actual game was a joke. Kojima's good at deceiving in his trailers.

Speaking of the Nuclear trailer, I want the fucking scene where bloody Snake screams. :^(

Kojima is definitely partially to blame for all the hype and expectations set for this game. On it's own MGSV is a great game, but many people including myself had different expectations. It really shouldn't have been marketed as "The Missing Link" as such. But once you can get over that, you can accept MGSV for what it is I think :)

i wouldn't be surprised if you're right. but didn't he directly reference going back to camp omega when discussing this?

what are you talking about? the tone of the game is incredibly dark. there are silly elements in the gameplay, but the cutscenes are darker and more serious than any other mgs game
Yeah you're right about the Camp Omega thing. I bet you the answer now though would be the nuclear abolition since the returning to camp omega thing was supposedly just MGO
I was talking more about Rising tbh. Yeah, MGSV is the darkest game in the series.

Am I the only one here who's completely addicted to FOBs? The last two weeks or so I've just been playing nothing but nonstop FOB missions. After you get into it and start to learn more about the layout of the maps and the guard placement it gets really, really fun. Feels a lot more difficult than most of the campaign which I found to be an absolute cakewalk. Plus I like the smaller more contained approach where you go in with only what you can carry and you get no outside support. Makes me feel like I'm playing one of the older MGS games sometimes.
I'm addicted to FOBs... in a bad way though. I get my ass kicked and wanna make back the GMP I lost, only to get my ass handed to me again. Cycle continues. Like gambling.
But yeah I agree with you. Its like the older MGSs. You want tough stealth then play a 4/4 FOB. God DAMN that shit is hard. And when the owner comes in, things get really hype.
I'm trying to steal nukes too. To disarm them of course. I'm no demon (yet).

Kojima is definitely partially to blame for all the hype and expectations set for this game. On it's own MGSV is a great game, but many people including myself had different expectations. It really shouldn't have been marketed as "The Missing Link" as such. But once you can get over that, you can accept MGSV for what it is I think :)
Well my problem isn't really with the "Missing Link" stuff. I think the way MGSV fills in the series gap is cool (with the Operation intrude and MSX thing). My "problem" is mostly that I had some crazy cool story in my head that didn't actually happen. I really only have myself to blame for that (mostly, Kojima's trailers were kind of misleading with the "Anger is an acid" stuff. Or maybe I just have to replay the game). Or it could be that Skullface died like a bitch without a fight or anything. I know what Kojima wanted to do with that, and I think it's kind of cool, but I still would've preferred some big-ass fight with Skullface and XOF.
In the end though I still liked MGSV. I've said that from day 1.

EDIT: Actually Kojima says it himself in the "How to make a PV" video. He says in 23:00 regarding the arrangement of scenes in the trailer "even just changing the arrangement of what we use can alter how we perceive it. Well... In fact it's actually more interesting this way." SO HE DOES DECEIVE US IN THE TRAILERS. :^)

Well my problem isn't really with the "Missing Link" stuff. I think the way MGSV fills in the series gap is cool (with the Operation intrude and MSX thing). My "problem" is mostly that I had some crazy cool story in my head that didn't actually happen. I really only have myself to blame for that (mostly, Kojima's trailers were kind of misleading with the "Anger is an acid" stuff. Or maybe I just have to replay the game). Or it could be that Skullface died like a bitch without a fight or anything. I know what Kojima wanted to do with that, and I think it's kind of cool, but I still would've preferred some big-ass fight with Skullface and XOF.

EDIT: Actually Kojima says it himself in the "How to make a PV" video. He says in 23:00 regarding the arrangement of scenes in the trailer "even just changing the arrangement of what we use can alter how we perceive it. Well... In fact it's actually more interesting this way." SO HE DOES DECEIVE US IN THE TRAILERS. :^)

yeah, i mean of course he wanted to deceive us. at least a little bit. but really though, how deceptive was he? there was a huge contingent of people who
believed that we weren't playing as big boss.
that was heavily hinted at in the trailers. everything else we see in the trailers is absolutely indicative of what we got in the game. he damn near showed the entire game in the trailers. we could argue about what the intention of "the missing link!" was and shit like that, but the trailers actually are quite representative of the game we got.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
juuuuust about to upgrade a base platform when I guess the server went down for maintenance, which took 3/4ths of my resources. oh well!

I can't wait to beat this game before konami puts even more restrictive bullshit in it

CTB-KXSUYAA8vL1.jpg:large

"STOP LAUGHING KAZ IT ISN'T FUNNY"

JayEH

I agree, the trailers do tell a different story than that is within the game. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't. The hype just got to us is all there is to it. Game was announced 3 years ago and we all had our idea for how the game would go. That's why I say Kojima is partially to blame for all the disappointment. The game was announced way too early and the trailers just added to the hype.

The "anger is an acid" stuff is present within the game though. It's just it isn't Snake who is experiencing that.

I don't mind the trailers being deceptive about the direction of the story. That's typical Kojima fair and I'm not bothered that the story wasn't a long showcase of Big Boss becoming a demon. MGS2 was equally, if not more, deceptive in that regard. I was let down by the trailers lying about the game actually having a story though.

Saladinoo

Just unlocked mission 42, I hear it's good, excited to play it!

But jesus, chapter 2 is killing me. As a long time fan though, I need to get through it. DOn't think I'll be playing MGSV after I finish it though :'(

Hey guys when you're assaulting a FOB and then another player enters to defend it, can you use the portal at the entry point to leave? Additionally, can I not use that portal if the alarm is sounding? I've done a ton of FOBs but I've only had to fight defenders twice. I've also never used that portal thing but I assume it's there so that I can leave if need be.

I had a fight yesterday with someone, I kept killing them over and over while waiting for the timer to finish counting down on that portal so I could hopefully leave. But since he kept running up to me and seeing me the alarm was sounding. I've got a bit of a better gameplan now but one way or another I'd rather just disengage if at all possible.

You have to wait for the alarm to be called off to use the portal. I think it will work with a defender but I haven't tried it without being killed on my way there yet.

Not sure there's an advantage beyond saving the life of a non-snake soldier. It'll still count as ' infiltration failed'

You have to wait for the alarm to be called off to use the portal. I think it will work with a defender but I haven't tried it without being killed on my way there yet.

Not sure there's an advantage beyond saving the life of a non-snake soldier. It'll still count as ' infiltration failed'

I see, so even if you leave voluntarily it'll give you an "infiltration failed"? I was hoping maybe I could cut my losses and run without losing anything if at all possible but it sounds like that doesn't happen.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 8=========D <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <33 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

adorable.

Sushigod7

I just logged into single player for the first time in a week or so to do a few side ops and was in the red about 1.5 million gmp. F this game man FOB invasions etc. I'm like 96hrs in single player done with story and 66% complete. I'm done I don't even care anymore about 100% horrible joke not being able to turn it off. I'll do some MGO and call it good.

I just logged into single player for the first time in a week or so to do a few side ops and was in the red about 1.5 million gmp. F this game man FOB invasions etc. I'm like 96hrs in single player done with story and 66% complete. I'm done I don't even care anymore about 100% horrible joke not being able to turn it off. I'll do some MGO and call it good.

You're 96 hours in and you haven't bothered setting up proper defenses for your FOB? If you just get your security team leveled up and you have the max level combat fatigues you should be able to defeat the majority of the players. You don't even really have to think beyond developing stuff and putting people in your security team.

JayEH

I haven't had much trouble with FOBs. I think I've been invaded once in the last month and before that my security team was handling most invaders.

I see, so even if you leave voluntarily it'll give you an "infiltration failed"? I was hoping maybe I could cut my losses and run without losing anything if at all possible but it sounds like that doesn't happen.

I don't know whether you lose things, I'm not sure how rewards for defending works tbh.
You take any staff or materials you stole even if you're killed I think . Using a wormhole without ever being spotted means there won't be a retaliation wormhole opened, but that might even be true if you just jump into the water, I'm not sure.

Sushigod7

You're 96 hours in and you haven't bothered setting up proper defenses for your FOB? If you just get your security team leveled up and you have the max level combat fatigues you should be able to defeat the majority of the players. You don't even really have to think beyond developing stuff and putting people in your security team.

Yeah I was having fun playing other parts doing side ops etc I never developed much for the FOB staff. I guess I will now its just not an aspect I wanted to really use.

I don't know whether you lose things, I'm not sure how rewards for defending works tbh.
You take any staff or materials you stole even if you're killed I think . Using a wormhole without ever being spotted means there won't be a retaliation wormhole opened, but that might even be true if you just jump into the water, I'm not sure.

Ah, thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot next time. Sounds like it's a much better alternative to dying to the person, which is inevitably going to happen with one of those 4-platform invasions.

cj_iwakura

Just finished Rising, since I stopped to finish V. Really enjoyed it, I think the graphics easily stand up to V. Gorgeous, gorgeous game. Final boss was a royal PITA, but I earned his death, so it was great.

Really enjoyed the
Sunny
cameo. Pleasant surprise. Wolf was the best.

Also, the Jetstream/Wolf DLC is free now, so I'll give that a shot soon.

My ranking so far:

V > 2 > 1 > PW > 3 > Rising > 4 > GZ > PO
(Haven't played the Acids yet.)

JayEH

Just finished Rising, since I stopped to finish V. Really enjoyed it, I think the graphics easily stand up to V. Gorgeous, gorgeous game. Final boss was a royal PITA, but I earned his death, so it was great.

Really enjoyed the
Sunny
cameo. Pleasant surprise. Wolf was the best.

Also, the Jetstream/Wolf DLC is free now, so I'll give that a shot soon.

My ranking so far:

V > 2 > 1 > PW > 3 > Rising > 4 > GZ > PO
(Haven't played the Acids yet.)

Glad you liked it. I love Rising. Great Bosses and big dumb action plot that was still Metal Geary. The two DLCs are pretty short but they're free so it doesn't really. Too bad we'll never get a sequel, if Platinum had more time/money it could be really special.

MajorTom

Never thought I'd say this........So far I'm enjoying Fallout more than metal gear.
Any other year in sure Metal Gear would be my personal GOTY.

JayEH

Right now MGSV, Witcher 3, and Bloodborne are my favorite games of the year. Haven't really decided which one is the best yet though. I'm hoping I like Fallout a lot too.

Top Bottom