• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
1a82a955f899f80e3641295f6b044301.jpg

Want

I've never played a Metal Gear game before (except for Ground Zeroes) and I just started MGSV tonight.

This game is... actually great? I have no idea what the fuck is happening in the story, but I'm loving the gameplay. Everything just feels right.

I've never played a Metal Gear game before (except for Ground Zeroes) and I just started MGSV tonight.

This game is... actually great? I have no idea what the fuck is happening in the story, but I'm loving the gameplay. Everything just feels right.

I envy you. Part of me wishes MGSV had been my first MGS, for the sake of not holding the story to an unfair standard.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Heads up folks. MGS2 on European Extreme will be speedran at AGDQ tonight. At about ~9:20pm Eastern Time after Quake.

eMhAfaU.png

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Its not a big boss run so its "marathon safe". The runner can just hit continue if he dies. But it will still be cool to expose more people to the craziness of MGS2 on highest difficulty. Remember to disable the AGDQ chat because it will more than likely be pure shit.

I have become absolutely entranced by MGS V. I've barely touched the story stuff because I'm too busy doing every little side thing available. Even as someone who hasn't played any previous Metal Gear games, the framework created here is incredible. However, knowing a little bit about where the game goes, I do kinda see where the formula could wear thin after awhile.

Even though I haven't done much of the story yet, what I have seen has been very intriguing. There are glaring weak spots (the the almost total lack of Snake voice acting), but the way the story is told has an allure to it that I've never really experienced in a game before. No matter what I think about the events actually playing out, the way things unfold just keeps me glued to the screen. And that first hour of the game is absolutely stunning.

I can't see myself going back and playing previous games in the series, but if for no other reason than the open world, systems, mechanics, and gunplay, I'm definitely going to look back on this one fondly.

Kindekuma

Banned
I have become absolutely entranced by MGS V. I've barely touched the story stuff because I'm too busy doing every little side thing available. Even as someone who hasn't played any previous Metal Gear games, the framework created here is incredible. However, knowing a little bit about where the game goes, I do kinda see where the formula could wear thin after awhile.

Even though I haven't done much of the story yet, what I have seen has been very intriguing. There are glaring weak spots (the the almost total lack of Snake voice acting), but the way the story is told has an allure to it that I've never really experienced in a game before. No matter what I think about the events actually playing out, the way things unfold just keeps me glued to the screen. And that first hour of the game is absolutely stunning.

I can't see myself going back and playing previous games in the series, but if for no other reason than the open world, systems, mechanics, and gunplay, I'm definitely going to look back on this one fondly.

MGSV is king when it comes to core gameplay. The stealth is incredibly satisfying. However the story, well, I think we all know it doesn't go anywhere really after Chapter 1. Please please PLEASE if you can, get the Legacy Collection for PS3. It's amazing to see the progression of the gameplay over 27(28?) years.

strafer

I think Kiefer did a wonderful job at conveying emotions when he did speak. There are some stuff in there that are amazing.

Hayter is good, I like him but after playing TPP I believe he would have been wrong for this game.

Rajang

MGSV is king when it comes to core gameplay. The stealth is incredibly satisfying. However the story, well, I think we all know it doesn't go anywhere really after Chapter 1. Please please PLEASE if you can, get the Legacy Collection for PS3. It's amazing to see the progression of the gameplay over 27(28?) years.

If we are talking about core mechanics then yeah, but gameplay encompasses way more than just the core mechanics. Its level design, pacing, boss fights etc.

And many of the systems (base building/recruitment) have been pretty much copy/pasted from Peace Walker.

BadWolf

If we are talking about core mechanics then yeah, but gameplay encompasses way more than just the core mechanics. Its level design, pacing, boss fights etc.

And many of the systems (base building/recruitment) have been pretty much copy/pasted from Peace Walker.

The level design in MGSV is excellent. There are so many ways to approach pretty much every area and the attention to detail is what you would expect from KojiPro.

And Peace Walker was the testing ground for MGSV, that much is obvious.

It's truly a terrifically crafted game. But as Kindekuma has already said, please get the HD collection, you won't regret it. If not than in the very least play Ground Zeroes (if you haven't already), it's a precursor to TPP so ideally you should have played it already.

Rajang

The level design in MGSV is excellent.There are so many ways to approach pretty much every area and the attention to detail is what you would expect from KojiPro.

And Peace Walker was the testing ground for MGSV, that much is obvious.

I disagree. I thought it was very inconsistent.

I was hoping we would get levels similar to Camp Omega, but none of the levels/enemy camps in TPP were as replayable or well designed. Even OKB Zero was dissapointing, which was supposed to be the high point in the campaign. It was nothing but mass enemy placement in tight areas. You were funneled through areas, there was not much room for creativity even if you had 10 times the tools at your disposal compared to GZ.

And saying PW was just a testing ground is belittling that game. Kojima took that game very seriously. And its also a game thats far closer to him than many other titles because he wanted to make a game for his son, one that he would finally enjoy and could play with his friends. It was even called MGS5 at one point but Konami forced his hand, because they didnt want to number any handheld MGS titles. Remember that PW was entirely designed around the limited PSP hardware and PW still managed to do some things way better than TPP.

For one the missions were far more diverse, you had less side ops but you had far more variety. In TPP you have 158 side ops with only 10 different mission types. It was so repetitive. In PW you had 128 extra ops with 30 (!) different mission types. So many of the side ops in PW were so creative and fun. In TPP the side missions felt like a chore. In PW you also had more fatigues that had more benefits. Combat employment was actually a really fun minigame in PW, it was gutted in TPP. And one of the biggest things for me were the tapes. They were very high quality in PW and were very entertaining. I loved listening to them. Many of the tapes made you feel like you were actually part of Mother Base. In TPP it was awful. I listened through every single one the moment they unlocked. Im a huge fan of Kazuhira but all his tapes were bad even the supposedly "funny hamburger tapes" were awful. Then you had the notorious WOLBACHIA nonsense from Code Talker. The only tapes I really liked was the one from Dr. Strangelove and the ones from Zero. I could make a way bigger list but you get the point.

Also many of the cool gimmicks they showed in gameplay demonstrations and trailers to show off the gameplay/attention to detail of TPP like calling for supply boxes on top of enemies to stun them or using decoys to trick soldiers etc were all present in Peace Walker already. PW had so many things like that, even using your stunrod in shallow water to electrocute/stun enemies, crippling legs of armored enemies etc etc.

I loved the core mechanics and some of the emergent gameplay in TPP (especially in Subsistence) but almost everything else was a massive dissapointment to me.

BadWolf

I disagree. I thought it was very inconsistent.

I was hoping we would get levels similar to Camp Omega, but none of the levels/enemy camps in TPP were as replayable or well designed. Even OKB Zero was dissapointing, which was supposed to be the high point in the campaign. It was nothing but mass enemy placement in tight areas. You were funneled through areas, there was not much room for creativity even if you had 10 times the tools at your disposal compared to GZ.

And saying PW was just a testing ground is belittling that game. Kojima took that game very seriously. And its also a game thats far closer to him than many other titles because he wanted to make a game for his son, one that he would finally enjoy and could play with his friends. It was even called MGS5 at one point but Konami forced his hand, because they didnt want to number any handheld MGS titles. Remember that PW was entirely designed around the limited PSP hardware and PW still managed to do some things way better than TPP.

For one the missions were far more diverse, you had less side ops but you had far more variety. In TPP you have 158 side ops with only had 10 different mission types. It was so repetitive. In PW you had 128 extra ops with 30 (!) different mission types. So many of the side ops in PW were so creative and fun. In TPP the side missions felt like a chore. In PW you also had more fatigues that had more benefits. Combat employment was actually a really fun minigame in PW, it was gutted in TPP. And one of the biggest things for me were the tapes. They were very high quality in PW and were very entertaining. I loved listening to them. Many of the tapes made you feel like you were actually part of Mother Base. In TPP it was awful. I listened through every single one the moment they unlocked. Im a huge fan of Kazuhira but all his tapes were bad even the supposedly "funny hamburger tapes" were awful. Then you had the notorious WOLBACHIA nonsense from Code Talker. The only tapes I really liked was the one from Dr. Strangelove and the ones from Zero. I could make a way bigger list but you get the point.

Also many of the cool gimmicks they showed in gameplay demonstrations and trailers to show off the gameplay/attention to detail of TPP like calling for supply boxes on top of enemies to stun them or using decoys to trick soldiers etc were all present in Peace Walker already. PW had so many things like that, even using your stunrod in shallow water to electrocute/stun enemies, crippling legs of armored enemies etc etc.

I loved the core mechanics and some of the emergent gameplay in TPP (especially in Subsistence) but almost everything else was a massive dissapointment to me.

Sorry but I disagree completely. MGSV is superior to Peace Walker in pretty much every way.

And the mission types in PW were lacking for the most part aside from a few wacky ones here and there. The armored vehicle/helicopter/tank missions were garbage.

The story for PW was aimed at a younger audience and boy did it show.

Rajang

Sorry but I disagree completely. MGSV is superior to Peace Walker in pretty much every way.

And the mission types in PW were lacking for the most part aside from a few wacky ones here and there.
The armored vehicle/helicopter/tank missions were garbage.

The story for PW was aimed at a younger audience and boy did it show.

What? How is that? Here are the mission types in PW:

1. Target Practice
2. Fulton recovery
3. Target demolition
4. Eliminate soldiers
5. Item capture
6. Classified document retrieval
7. Claymore disarmament
8. Hold up
9. Base defense
10. POW defense
11. Defending supplies
12. Perfect stealth missions
13. Eliminating kidnappers
14. Obstacle demolition
15. Clearing Escape
16. Snake gear retrieval
17. Soldier rescue
18. One Shot mission (1 bullet)
19. Paprazzi
20. Ghost photography
21. Dead Man's treasure (ghost mission)
22. Pooyan mission
23. Missile intercept mission
24. Kaz/Paz dates
25. Armored vehicle battles
26. Tank battles
27. Attack chopper battles
28. AI weapon battles
29. Zeke mock battle (boss fight to test your Zeke, different behaviour with different AI parts)
30. Monster hunter missions

Please explain to me how TPP had more diverse missions.

The armored vehicle/helicopter/tank missions are almost identical to how they are in TPP. Ofcourse its going to be mechanically better in TPP because their gameplay design wasn't limited to a handheld with hardware from 2005. But the funny thing is you can actually capture helicopters in PW, you cant even do that in TPP.

No one is arguing that TPP has better core mechanics than every single MGS game released before it. But that has never been the defining aspect of why the vast majority of its fanbase loves the series so much.

BadWolf

Please explain to me how TPP had more diverse missions.

The armored vehicle/helicopter/tank missions are almost identical to how they are in TPP. Ofcourse its going to be mechanically better in TPP because their gameplay design wasn't limited to a handheld with hardware from 2005. But the funny thing is you can actually capture helicopters in PW, you cant even do that in TPP.

No one is arguing that TPP has better core mechanics than every single MGS game released before it. But that has never been the defining aspect of why the vast majority of its fanbase loves the series so much.

TPP has better core mechanics than most games released before and after it, not just MGS games. It's that good, and the mission types allow you to take full advantage of said mechanics. And the story missions have a lot of added depth to them thanks to all the optional objectives.

Sorry but I don't need to shoot balloons or fight dragons in a serious stealth game.

There is so much to the environments in MGSV and there are so many tools that the options on how you can handle situations and missions when coupled with the excellent core mechanics is pretty nuts. Just check out how players like Big Saru handle missions on youtube. You imagination and skill is really the limit.

The vehicle missions were shit in PW and there were so damn many of them. The way stealthing them was handled was especially dumb.

Rajang

TPP has better core mechanics than most games released before and after it, not just MGS games. It's that good, and the mission types allow you to take full advantage of said mechanics. And the story missions have a lot of added depth to them thanks to all the optional objectives.

Sorry but I don't need to shoot balloons or fight dragons in a serious stealth game.

There is so much to the environments in MGSV and there are so many tools that the options on how you can handle situations and missions when coupled with the excellent core mechanics is pretty nuts. Just check out how players like Big Saru handle missions on youtube. You imagination and skill is really the limit.

The vehicle missions were shit in PW and there were so damn many of them. The way stealthing them was handled was especially dumb.

Did you intentionally dodge the question? How does TPP offer more variety in its side ops? TPP was far more repetitive, you had to do the same objectives over and over, you had only 10 mission types that were repeated like 15 times each. I don't see how this can even be argued.

And like I said before core mechanics has never been the reason people fell in love with the series. You think its coincidence why so many fans were pissed at this game? If they were all playing purely for mechanics they would have never been MGS fans in the first place because MGS never really excelled in that department. For me, personally, it was always a combination of story and gameplay. The way Kojima always likes to use the medium to tell a story or let players have an experience. When I think of MGS I think of memorable experiences like the Psycho Mantis boss fight in MGS1. The way the player has to manipulate the hardware itself to have an impact inside the game, how Mantis manipulates the controller and reads your memorycard. Or with The End in MGS3, how you can take him out after a cutscene so you can completely skip the fight, let him die of a natural death by waiting a week etc etc. Thats the stuff I think about when I think of MGS, I dont think of the core mechanics of TPP.

BadWolf

Did you intentionally dodge the question? How does TPP offer more variety in its side ops? TPP was far more repetitive, you had to do the same objectives over and over, you had only 10 mission types that were repeated like 15 times each. I don't see how this can even be argued.

Dodge what? I said that I found the mission types lacking in PW in general. I didn't like them. I didn't say that MGSV had more types and my next post detailed why I like the MGSV missions, they are stealth/core mechanic focused. That to me is the meat of the gameplay and what I enjoy most.

When I think of MGS I think of memorable experiences like the Psycho Mantis boss fight in MGS1. The way the player has to manipulate the hardware itself to have an impact inside the game, how Mantis manipulates the controller and reads your memorycard. Or with The End in MGS3, how you can take him out after a cutscene so you can completely skip to fight, let him die of a natural death by waiting a week etc etc. Thats the stuff I think about when I think of MGS, I dont think of the core mechanics of TPP.

MGS games have always been about great story and gameplay to me. In each generation they were my most played/replayed games.

If wacky/interesting stuff is what you are after then MGSV has that too (nuclear disarmament ending, birthday, Paz etc.) but no, things like that aren't the main thing the series is about for me. It's a lot more than that. I didn't just see something wacky and call it a day.

BadWolf

ernpccoobi00whotb2ht.gif

It's maybe 'serious' relative to other Metal Gear games (debatable), but that doesn't make it a "serious stealth game".

So, yeah, it very much does apply here.

It very much is a serious stealth game. Nothing strange about a horse taking a poo and it being put to use. Can a horse do it like that on demand? No. But neither can a person heal in real life after getting hit by machine guns and tank shells by hiding in cover for a moment or 'continue' after dying.

If shooting balloons and fighting dinosaurs would feel right for you in MGSV then I can only say that I disagree.

So no, it doesn't apply. As far as games go, MGSV is a serious stealth game.

TPP doesn't have the same sort of charm as previous MGS entries, there's wacky stuff, but it's not of the same nature as it was before. And the charm, if that's the correct word, is what I've always thought the majority of MGS fans loved most about the series, so it's easy to see why many were pissed. That said, TPP is still excellent imo, albeit for different reasons then before.

-Deimos

It very much is a serious stealth game. Nothing strange about a horse taking a poo and it being put to use. Can a horse do it like that on demand? No. But neither can a person heal in real life after getting hit by machine guns and tank shells by hiding in cover for a moment or 'continue' after dying.

If shooting balloons and fighting dinosaurs would feel right for you in MGSV then I can only say that I disagree.

So no, it doesn't apply. As far as games go, MGSV is a serious stealth game.

Just like the previous games, you can ignore the silly stuff but you can't call the whole package "a serious game".

Chinbo37

I played and beat Metal Gear Solid a couple years ago. Was an awesome game I loved it. I also beat the VR missions which came on the disc.

I want to play more metal gear. Is it worth it to play the stand alone VR missions game or just go straight to MGS2.

I played and beat Metal Gear Solid a couple years ago. Was an awesome game I loved it. I also beat the VR missions which came on the disc.

I want to play more metal gear. Is it worth it to play the stand alone VR missions game or just go straight to MGS2.

The VR missions don't add anything storywise but gameplay and content wise it does. Play as multiple characters, lots of stages, different objectives, some easter eggs... a bit of everything. But nothing storywise.

I'd recommend going into MGS2 playing the Tanker chapter first.

I'd say jump straight into MGS2, the VR missions are great but you really need to experience MGS2. The tanker chapter is probably still my favorite segment of the series, it really is great.

Plasma

Banned
It very much is a serious stealth game. Nothing strange about a horse taking a poo and it being put to use. Can a horse do it like that on demand? No. But neither can a person heal in real life after getting hit by machine guns and tank shells by hiding in cover for a moment or 'continue' after dying..

Yes it can.

Still plugging away at TPP. I've become obsessed. Spent more time with this game than almost any other game in the past 5 years. And again, this is coming from someone who never played a Metal Gear game before GZ.

Almost done with the main story, and I'll probably do all the side missions too since I just can't get enough of this game. Even though a lot of the mission types are pretty repetitive, it's still so good that it keeps me coming back. I know this is probably blasphemy in this community, but I love the gameplay so much that I'm actually looking forward to Survive.

Another game I've spent a ton of time with recently is the latest Hitman game, and the more I play of TPP, the more parallels between those two games I see that I didn't expect. The idea of dropping you in a mission with general goals and an open sandbox with lots of tools to accomplish those goal is extremely satisfying. If you could mash up the best parts of TPP and Hitman, I would probably play the resulting game for eternity.

I've been on a Metal Gear Solid 2 nostalgia trip since seeing the European Extreme run during AGDQ. Watching reveal trailers from 2000 and I ended up buying the HD Collection in the PSN sale the other night. Man, Metal Gear Solid 2 still looks slick.

BadWolf

I've been on a Metal Gear Solid 2 nostalgia trip since seeing the European Extreme run during AGDQ. Watching reveal trailers from 2000 and I ended up buying the HD Collection in the PSN sale the other night. Man, Metal Gear Solid 2 still looks slick.

Still the best example of a generational leap imo.

I just finally got around to playing GZ and starting TPP.

GZ was excellent fun, but after completing the main mission I didn't feel like going back and doing the side ops.

TPP is pretty much the MGS I was waiting for after 4 and PW. I love it.

Top Bottom