• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

tbh they've always been silent about MGO. The only news we got was that it exists and its being developed my Koji la. Then 10 years later we got the trailer. No one was crying about it being cancelled then (or were they...)
How many trailers did MGO2 get anyway?

tbh they've always been silent about MGO. The only news we got was that it exists and its being developed my Koji la. Then 10 years later we got the trailer. No one was crying about it being cancelled then (or were they...)

Konami wasn't planning to kill off it's gaming division at the time unlike now. Hence the worrying.

I'm not sure, but there was a beta for MGO2

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
might as well rename gaming side "There's MGSV spoilers here" for the next weeks

Spaghetti

They aren't now either.
i see konami's restructuring more like how capcom and sega restructured around ten years ago. i know i joke about how they're basically not going to make video games anymore, but the reality is they'll probably limp along until they have nothing worth putting out.

just like how sega and capcom chased away star talent in favour of profit, so are konami. major difference is that kojima still brings in the big money, as mgsv will show.

I thought they were making a MGS reboot. Unless its a mobile game then they're not completely killing their game divison

They aren't now either.

Console gaming*

KojiPro leaves when their contract ends, that leaves Konami with how many teams? And how many of them will actually stay to work on mobile games?

I don't see much happening in terms of actual gaming at Konami in say 2 years from now. Outsourcing maybe at best.

iMax

I don't really know what to do about gameplay parts I'm stuck on. I don't want to venture in the spoiler thread.

Surely there's nothing wrong with posting queries in here so long as they're properly tagged and marked?

My MGS figure collection has gone up to 2. I bought the Hot Toys raiden the other day. Shit is expensive.
Figure looks straight outta revengeance tho. Too bad he can't pose for shit

Spaghetti

My MGS figure collection has gone up to 2. I bought the Hot Toys raiden the other day. Shit is expensive.
Figure looks straight outta revengeance tho. Too bad he can't pose for shit
i had to say sorry to my bank account when i saw TPP is on hot toys' list of upcoming properties

I don't really know what to do about gameplay parts I'm stuck on. I don't want to venture in the spoiler thread.

Surely there's nothing wrong with posting queries in here so long as they're properly tagged and marked?

There is an impressions thread and also PMs. please post nothing about the game in here.

No luck in the stores today...

Monday it is... *sigh

Where are you from?

I'm just salty because I'm one of the last remaining humans on earth who doesn't have the game. I don't give a rat's dildo about MGO, honestly. The friend invitation thing is what it is, I don't care. I just wanna play this damn game, man. The last week has been the hardest of this release cycle - puts chicken hat to shame!

Yeah, not only you. 99 % of people doesn't have the game.

strafer

Wow, this is really cool.

Didn't know JJ was into MGS.

Maybe he can direct the movie.

wd7hiFM.png

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Console gaming*

KojiPro leaves when their contract ends, that leaves Konami with how many teams? And how many of them will actually stay to work on mobile games?

I don't see much happening in terms of actual gaming at Konami in say 2 years from now. Outsourcing maybe at best.

They've been hiring for a new MGS for months, plus they have PES to consider. I think it's too early to say anything definite about Konami's Gaming Division. In a few months, it may not be all that different to how it is now (sans Kojima-san).

They got rid of KojiPro because, on paper, they've been a money pit for, what, 7 years? Fox Engine, PT, Silent Hills, new LA studio, GZ and TPP all cost cash and Konami have only seen returns on one of those projects so far (soon to be 2). They made a dumb move if you ask me, but I can see why they did it.

Spaghetti

They've been hiring for a new MGS for months, plus they have PES to consider. I think it's too early to say anything definite about Konami.

They got rid of KojiPro because on paper they've been a money pit for, what, 7 years? Fox Engine, PT, LA studio, GZ and TPP all cost cash and Konami have only seen returns on one of those projects so far (soon to be 2). They made a dumb move if you ask me, but I can see why they did it.
that investment was more of a long-term thing than simply for the future of mgs though. the fox engine was meant to be a company-wide engine similar to how studios like EA use frostbite for basically everything. it looks like konami were trying to revitalise their games division by letting kojima productions be their flagship brand, and to start mixing hollywood and games heavily for the sake of production values. kojima attempting to jump-start life back into silent hill was just the beginning of that, but konami strangled the concept in its crib bizarrely after they'd already invested so much.

it's a shame though. p.t generated a massive buzz for silent hills and put the series back on the map for the first time in basically over a decade.

They've been hiring for a new MGS for months, plus they have PES to consider. I think it's too early to say anything definite about Konami's Gaming Division. In a few months, it may not be all that different to how it is now (sans Kojima-san).

They got rid of KojiPro because, on paper, they've been a money pit for, what, 7 years? Fox Engine, PT, Silent Hills, new LA studio, GZ and TPP all cost cash and Konami have only seen returns on one of those projects so far (soon to be 2). They made a dumb move if you ask me, but I can see why they did it.

I know it is early but I'd rather be pessimistic than have a sliver of hope despite knowing that Konami straight up said they're more interested in Pachislot and mobile than console gaming. It hurts a lot less that way.

Fox Engine did turn up revenue with PES though, and so did GZ. TPP would earn them a lot more than previous Metal Gears now that it's on 5 platforms and getting perfect reviews everywhere.
Konami could've licensed Fox Engine as well.

It all just points out to them wanting to shelf their own gaming division and start outsourcing instead.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So, the one thing I'm concerned about now (aside from MGO, which is a whole 'nother discussion) is that more than one review mentioned "blatant plot holes" brought about due to a relative lack of exposition. Mrgrgr. We'll see how that goes.

But yeah, otherwise, super-stoked for Tuesday!

Spaghetti

honestly, i give new metal gear two games tops before konami just shelves it forever.

that is, unless they try to do the yearly assassin's creed whatever bullshit. maybe they'll get about four years in before they just dump it.

Spaghetti

So, the one thing I'm concerned about now (aside from MGO, which is a whole 'nother discussion) is that more than one review mentioned "blatant plot holes" brought about due to a relative lack of exposition. Mrgrgr. We'll see how that goes.

we know some reviewers basically ignored the tapes, so don't take the 'plot hole' criticism too seriously until you play the game for yourself and make your own mind up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
that investment was more of a long-term thing than simply for the future of mgs though. the fox engine was meant to be a company-wide engine similar to how studios like EA use frostbite for basically everything. it looks like konami were trying to revitalise their games division by letting kojima productions be their flagship brand, and to start mixing hollywood and games heavily for the sake of production values. kojima attempting to jump-start life back into silent hill was just the beginning of that, but konami strangled the concept in its crib bizarrely after they'd already invested so much.

it's a shame though. p.t generated a massive buzz for silent hills and put the series back on the map for the first time in basically over a decade.

Sure, but it still cost money; it still goes against their bottom line and looks bad on paper, which is all the top brass have to know what's going on.

It's absolutely a short-sighted decision.

I know it is early but I'd rather be pessimistic than have a sliver of hope despite knowing that Konami straight up said they're more interested in Pachislot and mobile than console gaming. It hurts a lot less that way.

Bit melodramatic, but okay. Being "more interested" in one over the other because of profits doesn't mean their gaming division is outright "dead."

Fox Engine did turn up revenue with PES though.

PES would've made money regardless of the engine. At this point, I assume they haven't made their money back on FE development costs quite yet, but that's supposition on my part.

Reviewers apparently rushed through the entire game just so they could put out reviews. Outside of scores, don't take them too seriously for now.

Error1355

It hurts me to have to mod people on GameFAQs for discussing the game early. The site doesn't allow discussing street broken games. :(

HonMirin

Hey all, got my copy in the post yesterday (UK GAF here). I got GZ free on PS4 via PS Plus and am working my way through that before I dive in to PP. I'm seeing that retail copies of GZ had a code with them, something the PS Plus copies didn't. Anyone know what the code does? And would it be worth picking up a copy for the code?

Bit melodramatic, but okay. Being "more interested" in one over the other because of profits doesn't mean their gaming division is outright "dead."

Alright, not outright dead but if their major output will only be Mobile content and Pachislots then it will be essentially dead to us won't it? I see the whole situation from our side not theirs.

Hey all, got my copy in the post yesterday (UK GAF here). I got GZ free on PS4 via PS Plus and am working my way through that before I dive in to PP. I'm seeing that retail copies of GZ had a code with them, something the PS Plus copies didn't. Anyone know what the code does? And would it be worth picking up a copy for the code?

That's pre-order incentive codes, couple of non-essential DLCs.

Reszo

Amazon messed up my pre-order and now it says Sept.3rd. I just cancelled it and pre-orderd from GameStop. It's actually better this way because I can go pick it up in the morning I get out of class instead of waiting by the door for the delivery man lol.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, not outright dead but if their major output will only be Mobile content and Pachislots then it will be essentially dead to us won't it? I see the whole situation from our side not theirs.

Not necessarily. It just means they're putting more into those other divisions. At the end of the day, we're trying to second guess business strategy based on press releases and (I assume) a very limited, completely outsider understanding of the Japanese Gaming industry. To be honest, I'm not sure how useful the conclusions are that either of us are drawing.

Sorry, I'm always playing Devil's Advocate. :D

I don't really think mgo3 will happen.

I expect an announcement of a second delay late September, then an "early next year" then nothing for 6 months, and a cancellation next year when nobody cares anymore.

Either that or its just very barebones and has like 2 maps and only a few modes and is riddled with problems and barely works. Then it gets turned off in March.

This is konami, if they even care to spend money releasing it I would be very surprised.

Is there any mention of it on the game's box or manual?

Spaghetti

Oh wow seriously? There's NOOO WAY I'm getting another hot toys
yeah. who knows how long it'll take to manifest though. the rising and snake eater figures took a long time. hot toys' arkham city batman took literally years to surface (though it's a reaaaaaally good figure)

i'll see how the figures look when they appear, but i'm super into the look of big boss in mgsv so i know i'm going to crumble if the figure looks any good. i'm still surprised they didn't reuse the snake eater big boss head sculpt for a peace walker figure.

Error1355

CE still hate you Error? kek

Some people will always hate me regardless if I actually moderated them or not. Authority makes people dislike you by default. Or make others suck up to you. It's super awkward getting messages acting super polite to me. 'Sir Error can you mod those guys for me?!'

Kinda funny sometimes.

Rajang

Got a question for you brothers:
When do you think I should introduce my (actual) brother to mgs? He's about to turn 12 and I'm wondering if that might be too soon. When did you all start playing mgs? I think I might have been around his age.

Now.

I played MGS1 when I was 11 and it blew me away. It was like a religious experience.

Top Bottom