• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal gear solid director wrote a book, made writers go through MGS course

I feel like Vogt is the best choice to take this project on. There are sequences in Kong that feel like a perfect reflection of MGS' blend of deadly self-seriousness and outlandish, farcical action.

Additionally, I think he'd be aware of the inherent limitations in trying to adapt MGS' most iconic interactive moments to film.

Apparently Kong did pretty well for WB, so hopefully he's got the leverage to make this happen while retaining creative control. It'll be tough.

Even if he did get it green lit, it still would be a waste of time. I think people who want this movie made don't really get what made MGS legendary on video games and just keep thinking that it was the neck-deep melodrama alone that made the games unique.

If he does know what he's talking about and it's shown through the book, then props to him. But I still think this adaptation would be counterintuitive unless they put their own unique spin on it as a film adaptation that still remains faithful to the property's core ideas.

This so much. The Metal Gear Solid series is my favorite game series of all time, but I really don't want a movie to be made at all. Want makes it work is the fact is a game that bends in the movie aspects but is not completely restricted to it and can go crazy with everything, the franchise exists in the ideal medium.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Just do the tanker mission from 2 or ground zeroes.
Include game music, or inspired by tracks. I mean 2 is just the 2nd pass of the replacement kills soundtrack by greggson-williams.

Netflix should pick it up
I don't think Netflix knows how do explosions yet.

Pizza

Avi Arad is producing this.
giphy.gif

Oh fuck no I don't want Tom fucking holland in the Young Big Boss movie

black_13

Banned
I hope he just focused on one or two games and tries to blend them together instead of trying to fit the whole storyline of the series into a movie. Should start with MGS2 or 3.

As much as I love the MGS universe and the idea of a movie sounds really cool, I have my doubts about it. Think about it: the plot would have to be way different than the source (the director said that) and that alone could end up being good or shit. Second, the direction and tone of the movie will be really hard to nail. MGS1 it's a complex game that combines action, infiltration, some weird enemies and humor. How do you bring all of that (or at least the most important bits) to the big screen in a cool way?
I'm not saying that the movie will be a completely shitfest, but the truth is this project its a massive piece of work.
Jordan visited Kojima while promoting Kong. He said that he wanted to talk about the movie with Hideo 'cause he felt that his voice and vision should be a part of it (which makes sense). And knowing that Kojima is at least a little involved and that the guy behind the camera it's a huge fan of the product, that gives me a little hope. Nothing is guaranteed tho.

Even if he makes a good Metal Gear movie people will shit on it.

Silent Hill was really faithful to the whole vibe of the series and it got panned.

Warcraft too. Duncan Jones poured his blood, sweat and tears into doing Warcraft justice. The studio ended up taking it out of his hands, doing a pared down cut of it that was still decent, but not as good as his, and the end product was not what it could've been, although it's still pretty good IMO.
The problem with Warcraft is that most of the actors were not doing a good job and that the script lacked polish. A lot of the dialogue (at least Human stuff) wasn't too good. I wouldn't really blame that on the studio.

Vic_Viper

Was the book ever released or was it something he used to just shop around his idea for the movie? Pretty sure after the mess with Konami and Kojima this movie will never be made.

Was the book ever released or was it something he used to just shop around his idea for the movie? Pretty sure after the mess with Konami and Kojima this movie will never be made.

Exactly what you said: it was a book that he made in which he pitched the movie, basically.
And this movie is getting made. We are past beyond that point. In fact a few weeks ago on Twitter he tweeted to an actor "see you on the set soon..." so maybe casting has already begun.

Top Bottom