• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

I'll feel like an idiot if I missed this in the OP (or anywhere else for that matter) but are the bonus Monster Hunter levels still in the HD Version?

Snuggler said:
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm using my shitty work monitor, but it's way too far to the right. Delete like 4-5 of those indents, son.

It's not your monitor, it's mine. Firefox browser was on the right side of my monitor and the scroll bar was all the way to the right when I was previewing the thread, I knew something was odd cause I had never used so many indents! I think it's better now but I might take out a few more. Thanks for the heads up!

Ridley327

RIDLEY'S TOTALLY RELIABLE ASSESSMENTS OF EACH OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES, PART 1:

MGS2: A monumental masterpiece? A well-meaning misfire? An incomprehensible mess of half-baked gameplay concepts and thematic elements? MGS2 is all of these things, and so much more. The single most hyped-about game of the PS2's first year, MGS2 took production values in video games to incredible new heights, while also seeing fit to improve on every element from the original game, particularly the inclusion of the vital first-person aiming mechanic. However, this wasn't enough for Kojima and his team. Without getting too crazy with the spoilers, KojiPro found a way to pull the rug from underneath every gamer that popped the disc into their PS2 and they nearly got away with it too, as the game utterly destroys your expectations of how a sequel to MGS1 (or any other, for that matter) should play out. Even the very nature of game design is unspared in Kojima's quest to challenge conventions. Unfortunately, MGS2 suffers heavily for not adhering to the old adage of "show, don't tell," as an embarrassment of cutscenes (some of them embarrassing, at that!) takes control away from the player far too often, particularly in the game's final hours. On top of that, virtually every theme Kojima is going after feels underdeveloped, leading to a mess of messages piled on top of one another, leaving the player feeling like their brain just got fucked by syringe full of crazy juice. In a way, the attempt in challenging game design in an intellectual manner failed because they forgot to design a game.

Fortunately, all those woefully underused gameplay elements would have their day in 2003's superb re-release of the game, subtitled Substance. "Substance" is certainly the right word to describe the game, as it goes out of its way to throw more gameplay at you than any other installment could provide until Peace Walker. On top of the original Sons of Liberty game (which now features a few tweaks here and there, as well as a new set of dog tags to discover), we are also blessed with five alternate history scenarios entitled Snake Tales (which, by the final installment, make the story in the main game seem like Super Mario Bros.), a boss rush, a cinematic viewer (which also comes with the amusing option to substitute character models in key moments) and, grandest of all, 350+ VR missions that take every single ability, weapon and item in the game and finds new, exciting and unprecedented ways of using each of them. It is the definitive release of the game, and the one we are thankfully receiving in the HD Collection.

What the HD Collection can improve upon: By its very nature, MGS2 is the game in the least need of any drastic improvements; the game ran at a rock-solid 60 fps in the first place and it's filled to the brim with content. Now that it's running in 16:9, it will certainly lend a different look to the game, but one that I don't think will either help nor hinder it. Simply put, it's just a more beautiful version of an already beautiful game, and I don't think anyone would have it any other way.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I hope someone can clear up whether the PS3 version has more than 1 Platinum trophy. Will be very disappointed if it's just 1 Platinum.

Yen

Wario64 said:
I hope someone can clear up whether the PS3 version has more than 1 Platinum trophy. Will be very disappointed if it's just 1 Platinum.
It's a very, very important issue.

Colasante

I'd like to buy the 360 version to play Peace Walker online with friends, but I'm worried that the games won't control as well with the 360 controller. I remember Substance controlling much better on the PS2 than the Xbox back in the day.

SamuraiX-

Great OT!

Probably the game I'm most excited for this Fall next to ACR.

I still need to pre-order the LE edition... GOTTA HAVE IT. Just hoping there's some kind of pricedrop/deal before 11/8/11.

Mikey Jr.

I am going to go through the games with my bro who has never played MGS before.

In terms of story, how should I play them? In order of when they were released? Or should I try and mix them up ala MGS3-PW-MGS1-MGS2-MGS4?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yenrot said:
It's a very, very important issue.

Not sure if you're mocking, but I'm being serious. It's the least they can do after not putting in trophies for MGS4.

It's like Japanese collection games have no idea how trophies work.

Ridley327

Mikey Jr. said:
I am going to go through the games with my bro who has never played MGS before.

In terms of story, how should I play them? In order of when they were released? Or should I try and mix them up ala MGS3-PW-MGS1-MGS2-MGS4?
I would tell you to play them as when they were released, as the gameplay evolves between installments. Story elements get retconned left and right anyway, so you're not losing anything by not playing them in chronological order.

omgkitty

wjxfm8.jpg

WTF is this bullshit? Why the hell would they change the PS3 boxart to this ugly piece of shit? The LE better have the other artwork.

Yen

Wario64 said:
Not sure if you're mocking, but I'm being serious. It's the least they can do after not putting in trophies for MGS4.

It's like Japanese collection games have no idea how trophies work.
If we don't get 2, 3 or 4 platinums, then frankly, the collection isn't worth buying.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
omgkitty said:
WTF is this bullshit? Why the hell would they change the PS3 boxart to this ugly piece of shit? The LE better have the other artwork.

They didn't I'm sure that's Europe box art.

51W4fPe3UKL._AA300_.jpg

Yenrot said:
If we don't ... 4 platinums, then frankly, the collection isn't worth buying.

Now you're being ridiculous.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I am really looking forward to this, but there's no way I could hope to play it at ALL with the games coming out next week — I'd rather play new stuff and get to this later. I'll wait for a price drop to $30 or so, which will probably come quick.

omgkitty

Wario64 said:
They didn't I'm sure that's Europe box art.

51W4fPe3UKL._AA300_.jpg

Got a little worked up there. Seriously though, that font and artwork they've been using for these collections have been pretty bad.

Salaadin

Why is my delivery estimate on amazon for 11/14 even though the game releases 11/8 and I chose. ANyone else have the same issue?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Salaadin said:
Why is my delivery estimate on amazon for 11/14 even though the game releases 11/8 and I chose. ANyone else have the same issue?

Same here, I have the LE version ordered too.

I'm pretty sure there will be 2 trophy sets, one for "Metal Gear Solid: HD Edition" (aka MGS2 & 3 HD) and another set for "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition". So that would mean 2 platinums, right?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gouda Jouji said:
I'm pretty sure there will be 2 trophy sets, one for "Metal Gear Solid: HD Edition" (aka MGS2 & 3 HD) and another set for "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition". So that would mean 2 platinums, right?

I hope so (at least). But Resident Evil HD Collection shows we could have zero Platinums too...and since this is the first Metal Gear game to have trophies....yeah.

Big Papa Husker said:
I think its just the art book. Does anyone know how large the art book is? Is it the size of a strategy guide?

You'd think there would be more information on it given its a week away. I pre ordered it, but have no idea what its gonna be. lol

SamuraiX-

Big Papa Husker said:
I think its just the art book. Does anyone know how large the art book is? Is it the size of a strategy guide?

According to Amazon:

In addition, the 'Limited Edition' will include a never before released 250 page premium art book showcasing the art of Metal Gear Solid

And you can tell by the product picture that it's not just something they stapled together. Hardcover with that bad ass art on the front. Legit collectable.

9Pdk0.jpg

Salaadin

If I transfar my PSP save to PS3, do I auto unlock all trophies or am I going to have to do all that stuff all over again? Have they touched on this at all?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SamuraiX- said:
According to Amazon:

And you can tell by the product picture that it's not just something they stapled together. Hardcover with that bad ass art on the front. Legit collectable.

Only problem is it's 250 pages instead of 450 pages or so that Japan gets. But, Japan is like $100 for MGS2 and 3 only. So I guess for the price it's sorta fair.

DMeisterJ

Banned
If there's only one platinum on the PS3 version, I'll just go with the 360 version and pocket the 10 bucks. Three platinums or bust. One for each game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DMeisterJ said:
If there's only one platinum on the PS3 version, I'll just go with the 360 version and pocket the 10 bucks. Three platinums or bust. One for each game.

It's only 2000 achievement points for X360 it looks like. I think. If there's really only 2 sets.

Top Bottom