• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

SamuraiX-

You know, I love trophies as much as the next guy, but does it really matter how many platinums? I just wanted trophies because I like to have a qualitative record of all the fun and crazy stuff you can do in MGS games. I'd probably be ok with no platinums and just bronze, silver and gold.

Do you guys care about your PSN Account Level that much or do you just like to see 3 separate platinums next to MGS2, MGS3, and PW?

Is there any particular reason for the large delay to Europe/Australia?

The OT got me excited for this coming out soon, only to find out I'll have to wait till next year.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fantastical said:
What's the best way to get filled in on the story of MGS1?

By playing it. Seriously, you don't want to skip MGS1. I hope you have a PS3,PS2, PSX or PSP. I won't even mention that other version.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wario64 said:
By playing it. Seriously, you don't want to skip MGS1. I hope you have a PS3,PS2, PSX or PSP. I won't even mention that other version.
Does it really hold up well? I mean, really. Be honest with me, Wario.

kaioshade

Wario64 said:

Maybe im dense, but what is so wrong with the "other version"?

Fantastical said:
Does it really hold up well? I mean, really. Be honest with me, Wario.

It holds up fine. The graphics are dated but they have a charm to them.

kaioshade said:
Maybe im dense, but what is so wrong with the "other version"?

I don't hate it like a lot of other people do, but it's definitely inferior. I don't mind the over the top cutscenes, but I didn't like the new music, the change in dialogue (yes I played MGS enough times to notice minor changes in dialogue) and the MGS2 gameplay didn't fit the game because they didn't design anything around it. Plus the gamecube controller sucked.

MechaX

I'll probably dip for Peace Walker, but eh. It's been awhile since I've played through MGS2 and MGS3. But... I would rather not be reminded about MGS4 either... choices.

kaioshade

Are people really raging about TS because of the new cutscenes and music? I never actually finished all of TS, but it didnt look THAT bad, unless it takes some fantastical dive at the end?

When you said "other version" I thought you meant the PC port, and I was struggling to remember if there was anything wrong with it.

The fact that Twin Snakes even existed has apparently been wiped from my memory.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've never seen a single game have two separate sets of achievements. I know the 360 version has two discs — I'm guessing MGS2/3 are on one, and PW is on the other?

Chuck

Still without luck
Wario64 said:
Friends don't let friends play Twin Snakes. I guess you are not Fantastical's friend.
Aside from holding up better graphically and gameplay wise, I think the cutscenes are done better in Twin Snakes than original MGS1. They are done much more in the style of 2, 3 and 4 than original MGS which has much faster paced and faster spoken cutscenes.

Grecco

StalkerUKCG said:
What exactly are peoples problems with twin snakes. Lists please

Id personally say its just MGS1 done right.

I thought the complaints was that the first person camera broke the game + the over the top cut scenes.

I played it and enjoyed it enough.

The cutscenes are over the top, like Snake matrix dodging a missle. Granted, you can make the case now that it's par for the course for a MGS game, but it still betrays the source material. Also, all of the great boss battles are made pointless since you can just go into first person and blast them down.

Honestly, it's not a bad game, and can be a good supplement for a MGS fan, but it shouldn't be the go-to experience for someone wanting to play MGS1 for the first time. The first game still holds up with the best of the generation, and is still very playable today.

Salaadin

StalkerUKCG said:
What exactly are peoples problems with twin snakes. Lists please

Id personally say its just MGS1 done right.

Voice acting is worse.
Music changes suck.
The "mood" is all goofy in TTS.
Lame cutscene decisions
Levels not designed for updated MGS2 style gameplay
Gamecube controller sucks for playing MGS games.

I enjoyed TTS but it just had some real boneheaded changes.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Cant wait to replay all these games :DDDDD

ocelot.gif

So if i understand right.

Replace voice acting with original recordings and technically the problem is solved.
Cutscenes are fine, the only real big difference is snake and fox in the room with ken baker and the c4, but after other cutscenes later in the series its not too crazy.

Levels play fine with the "roll" from mgs2 infact id go as far as saying MGS2 controls improve the game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MGSTWO I LOVE YOUUUU

Can't wait. Already played it in HD on PC thousands of times but I don't give a damn since it's the Substance version FUCK YEAH

jackdoe

Salaadin said:
Voice acting is worse.
Music changes suck.
The "mood" is all goofy in TTS.
Lame cutscene decisions
Levels not designed for updated MGS2 style gameplay
Gamecube controller sucks for playing MGS games.

I enjoyed TTS but it just had some real boneheaded changes.
Voice acting is indeed worse. Mei Ling was just about the only positive upgrade. Snake was worse, as this was Hayter going full on gruffy voice, and so was Campbell as his voice, ironically, wasn't gruffy enough.

Also, the game lacks consistency. Character models range from okay (Snake's character model) to holy shit what were they thinking (Otacon).

StalkerUKCG said:
So if i understand right.

Replace voice acting with original recordings and technically the problem is solved.
Cutscenes are fine, the only real big difference is snake and fox in the room with ken baker and the c4, but after other cutscenes later in the series its not too crazy.

Levels play fine with the "roll" from mgs2 infact id go as far as saying MGS2 controls improve the game.
You missed the part where the first person mode broke the game...

Bear

At this point, I'd throw my vote to Twin Snakes too. The modernized graphics and gameplay hold up so much better, and I think for a new player that's what matters most.

And to be honest, I never got the intense hate towards the changes. Yeah, some weren't for the better, but there is a huge amount of fan hyperbole coming into play here and that shouldn't be a factor when recommending it to someone new. In terms of mechanics and gameplay, there aren't any major issues and it is a significant improvement over the original.

Blu_LED said:

You don't have to use it. I did and I liked it, I just raised the difficulty to make up for the easier gameplay.

Blu_LED said:
Likely Cause i disagree with it, your not forced to use it you can easily have your "classic" experience with updated visuals by not pressing roll and not going into first person.

However as i previously said MGS2 controls are great they add more to the game that they take away.

FPS "broke" the game is hyperbole, at most it made it easier but it also allowed you to observe your surroudings better.

Chuck

Still without luck
I always find the argument that the cutscenes in Twin Snakes were "too over the top" to be funny for a Metal Gear game.

I really want that LE, but I'm so BROKE right now. ;_;

There are only three games I want this holiday season. This, Uncharted 3, and Skyward Sword. It's looking like I may only be able to afford one. Zelda it is, which means I'll probably never get the LEs of the other two.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ChuckNoLuck said:
I always find the argument that the cutscenes in Twin Snakes were "too over the top" to be funny for a Metal Gear game.
Sane people have been arguing that for years :D People always seem to put the other games on a pedestal when it comes to TTS

jackdoe

Bear said:
At this point, I'd throw my vote to Twin Snakes too. The modernized graphics and gameplay hold up so much better, and I think for a new player that's what matters most.

And to be honest, I never got the intense hate towards the changes. Yeah, some weren't for the better, but there is a huge amount of fan hyperbole coming into play here and that shouldn't be a factor when recommending it to someone new. In terms of mechanics and gameplay, there aren't any major issues and it is a significant improvement over the original.
This is debatable purely because while the polygon count is higher, I'd argue that most of the PS1 character models look better than TTS models on a purely artistic level. There's a consistency to them that makes them appealing, even though they're dated. On the other hand, TTS models for many of the characters look completely awful and are just completely unappealing, even if they may sport more polygons (and eyeballs).

legacyzero

Banned
ChuckNoLuck said:
Seriously. They're forgetting like....EVERYTHING else in the game that is over the top.

Salaadin

ChuckNoLuck said:

Its not really that the cutscenes as a whole were over the top but that the cutscenes involving Snake were over the top. You had him flipping over doorways, matrixing bullets, jumping on missles. That kind of stuff is ridiculous for Snake to do.

In the end, it purely comes down to taste. Its just that the people who prefer MGS1 have better taste.
Im kidding.
No Im not.

EDIT: That MGS2 intro shot of Snake on the bridge in the OP is too damn good.

Bear

jackdoe said:
This is debatable purely because while the polygon count is higher, I'd argue that most of the PS1 character models look better than TTS models on a purely artistic level. There's a consistency to them that makes them appealing, even though they're dated. On the other hand, TTS models for many of the characters look completely awful and are just completely unappealing, even if they may sport more polygons (and eyeballs).

Maybe through rose coloured glasses. For a new player with no nostalgia towards the original, I think that would be a very difficult argument to make. The difference in art style isn't nearly as vast as the difference in detail.

Wow... i totally forgot this was coming out in Nov. Thanks for reminding me.

I might get the 360 version but i'm gonna hold off on that to see the if the 360 controller works well playing the series.

If there's too much complaint against the 360 then i'll pick up the ps3 version instead. And I don't own the PS 3 system yet but I'm still waiting for a price drop for PS3. $250 ain't cutting it and a little to rich for my blood.

Top Bottom