• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GQman2121 said:
I asked this in the other thread, but are Gamestop and Amazon the only two outlets carrying the Special Edition?

I dunno, but I'm not toying around with the waiting game for the LEs. MGS LE's are generally pretty limited, aren't they? I know it was the case for Subsistence but not sure about MGS4, just know that was Gamestop exclusive.

legacyzero

Banned
Edgeward said:
Oh god, I've fallen down the youtube hole of cutscenes. Can't stop watching my favorite cutscenes. Really weird how
Liquid
only appears in 1 game as himself proper yet he's by far one of my favorite characters besides Snake.

And Cam Clarke not being in 4 outside of one easter egg still hurts. ;_;
THIS was an injustice! I feel bad for Cam for that too. Now the only thing he's really doing is constant episodes of Special Agent Oso... fucking terrible.

Yuripaw

Banned
Wario64 said:
I dunno, but I'm not toying around with the waiting game for the LEs. MGS LE's are generally pretty limited, aren't they? I know it was the case for Subsistence but not sure about MGS4, just know that was Gamestop exclusive.
MGS4 LEs were not easy to find new for long, but they don't seem to be too difficult to find used ones of. Especially compared to the Subsistence LE for MGS3. Never really thought that LE was worth the ridiculous prices that it fetches. It's just an extra box, and that 3 hours dvd/movie of the all the cutscenes of MGS3. Would much rather play the game.

As someone who struggled to get into the PSP versions (I need that analog stick!), can I go straight from 3 to Peace Walker, or do I miss out on a lot of story by not beating Portable Ops first?

IMO in MGS4 he sounded fine, for an old man. Maybe his voice was a little too thin, but in general it was just right for the role.
Is just that in MGS1 his voice is OMFGHOLYSHIT good. So everything after is kind of a letdown.

Ridley327

jett said:
Yeah, it's obviously no coincidence MGS1 has the best script in the entire franchise. Kojima got pissed at him because he changed some of the no doubt horribly contrived dialogue he had written.

This is an interesting article on Jeremy Blaustein.
There's never been any doubt in my mind that Kojima's insistence on a literal translation of his scripts has been the single worst one he's made. MGS2 is such a fucking mess by the end, despite a few moments of greatness.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yuripaw said:
It's just an extra box, and that 3 hours dvd/movie of the all the cutscenes of MGS3. Would much rather play the game.

For MGS3 Subsistence? Well I agree the resell value was way high. At retail though, I think it was an extra $10. Great value! But it was already hard to find on day one if you didn't preorder it

GQman2121

Banned
Wario64 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. It seems like it'll be pretty limited again because I know Kmart and Best Buy are not carrying it, but I have some gift cards I was hoping to use and didn't want to have to go into Gamestop or wait for Amazon. I'll probably cave and go with AZ tomorrow while at work. Sigh.....

Wario64 said:
For MGS3 Subsistence? Well I agree the resell value was way high. At retail though, I think it was an extra $10. Great value! But it was already hard to find on day one if you didn't preorder it

It was so limited that I actually pre-ordered at GS and didn't get one. They gave me a $20 gift card after unsuccessfully searching their other stores in the region for leftover stock and coming up empty.

Ridley327

SerArthurDayne said:
As someone who struggled to get into the PSP versions (I need that analog stick!), can I go straight from 3 to Peace Walker, or do I miss out on a lot of story by not beating Portable Ops first?
One of the major plot elements of the game relies on something that happens in MGS3, so in that sense I wouldn't recommend it.

What they do with that MGS3 element is beyond stupid, so there's that.

Chuck

Still without luck
So when I see the pop up menus for Peace Walker, they seem odd because of the way the text is written vertically. Did people used to turn the PSP to read it more easily, or do you get used to reading it vertically? I haven't played it.

Ridley327

You got used to it after a bit; it's really not as much of an issue as you might think.

One thing that helps is that loadouts are saved on a per-costume basis, so once you're familiar with what you're carrying, you don't really need to read them at all.

jackdoe

Ridley327 said:
One of the major plot elements of the game relies on something that happens in MGS3, so in that sense I wouldn't recommend it.

There's also the MGS1 element, and what they do with that is beyond stupid as well.

Master Miller, a throwaway character from MG2 and especially MGS1 (as he's Liquid) is revealed to be the mastermind behind a lot of the events of Peace Walker and in cahoots with Zero all along. Jesus what a mess.

Ridley327

jackdoe said:
There's also the MGS1 element, and what they do with that is beyond stupid as well.

Master Miller, a throwaway character from MG2 and especially MGS1 (as he's Liquid) is revealed to be the mastermind behind a lot of the events of Peace Walker and in cahoots with Zero all along. Jesus what a mess.
On the plus side, he wasn't a giant nuke-equipped robot that listened to its heart to prevent World War III.

Jesus holy fuck, the shit they make Christopher Randolph say in these games...

Ridley327 said:

I guess to clarify I have beaten all of the games (including the original Metal Gears!) except for Portable Ops and Peace Walker. My question is whether I need to play Portable Ops in order to avoid missing big story stuff. I stated it that way because of the chronological order of the games.

That may have been what you were answering already, but I can't quite tell based on your answer.

jackdoe

SerArthurDayne said:
I guess to clarify I have beaten all of the games (including the original Metal Gears!) except for Portable Ops and Peace Walker. My question is whether I need to play Portable Ops in order to avoid missing big story stuff. I stated it that way because of the chronological order of the games.

That may have been what you were answering already, but I can't quite tell based on your answer.
Portable Ops is pretty much soft retconned away. Technically, it's still canon, but I can't see how the character development of Big Boss in PO can result in the character present in Peace Walker.

Salaadin said:
Yup. It makes no sense. Its either a typo on Amazons part or they have a weird definition for 2 day delivery.
Hmm, if I set the shipping type to 1 day, it says I will receive it on the 10th (Thursday). No idea why 1 day shipping shows the 10th and 2 day shows 14th. I might email customer service to ask them.

EDIT: In an Amazon chat now. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Ridley327

Portable Ops has close-to-zero bearing on anything in Peace Walker.

Really, the only thing Portable Ops' story does is make MGS3's worse.

Famitsu reviewed Peace Walker HD, apparently:

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (PS3) – 10/10/9/10
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (360) – 10/9/9/9

Wonder why the 360 version got a lower score.

Ridley327 said:
Portable Ops has close-to-zero bearing on anything in Peace Walker.

Really, the only thing Portable Ops' story does is make MGS3's worse.

Great thanks.

I actually did play the Acids, too, now that I think about it. I don't think I beat them though. Maybe the first.

Yuripaw

Banned
Ridley327 said:
That would be a negative.

I would love to see them try, though.
I never cared for the art style of those games that much, especiall for the second AC!D game, but I would be totally down for a downloadable release of the first MG AC!D, I enjoyed playing that game.

It kinda sucks that'll never happen though.

RedSwirl

Ridley327 said:
There's really not much of a difference between the two, outside of the player count and Peace Walker having better controls for shooting.

What maps were in versus ops? And how does it compare to PS3 MGO?

RedSwirl

Criminal Upper said:
We need some clean minimalist boxarts to replace those ugly eyesores.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=8t6uo1xguiggn91&thumb=4
2d2enoz.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=9lgrlq8v2qu9vkk&thumb=4
1gn0r6.jpg

RedSwirl said:
What maps were in versus ops? And how does it compare to PS3 MGO?

I can't find an actual list, but I know that it has some maps from MGO1 and MPO alongside locations from Peace Walker.

feel

Gouda Jouji said:

wtf

I hope it's because of some dumb reason like them being too used to the dual shock for mgs games or xbox version missing features I don't care about like transfarring.

Shurs

Gouda Jouji said:

No Transfarring?

soldat7

Gouda Jouji said:

Peace Walker is fantastic. Can't it to play it again.

Letters said:
wtf

I hope it's because of some dumb reason like them being too used to the dual shock for mgs games or xbox version missing features I don't care about like transfarring.

Does the 360 version come in multiple discs?

Wow I thought this came out in 2 weeks. I wish I had more money for the LE. Im going to enjoy getting all the trophies since Ive done all those things in MGS2&3 at least 5 times since they came out. Metal Gear is the best series of all time!
my favorite easily at least.

Pachimari

If I buy the HD Collection from Amazon.com, will I be able to play it on my European PS3?
And what does the Limited Edition contain? An artbook?

It'd be nice if we could get some info as to how the ports compare.
I'm leaning on PS3 but the 360 version for 39.99 at Amazon is too nice.

EDIT: Fuck it, preordered.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Still waiting on preorders to open for the Japanese limited edition. I've got nearly every site set to notify me.

If it's not Ohtsuka Akio it's not Metal Gear. :)

Despite owning both MGS2 and 3 this is still a worthwhile purchase. I've never been able to enjoy Substance because my PS2 seemingly hates it and I didn't play Peace Walker on the PSP. MGS3 will be nice with updated visuals and trophies, though. Plus, it's been a while since I've played it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Day fucking ONE!

Yoboman

Gouda Jouji said:

"Metal Gear Solid on Xbox 360 version brings feelings of happy and smiles, though my cat went to sleep when I played - 9/10"

Sorry if this has been answered, but if I have a PSP save file, is there a way to use it for peace walker on the HD collection? I probably won't play much of it if I can't transfer my save.

I guess I still don't understand what transfarring is.
KuGsj.gif

mehdi_san

I think they gave 1 more point to the PS3 version because of the transfarring, and because the PS3 version comes with a free PSN download of PW on PSP (whereas 360 comes with some shitty avatar items...).

And I should add that I am EXCITED!! Best 3 games ever in a single box! #hype
I'll post pics as soon as I get my JPN Limited editions
81BipgGbI3L._AA1470_.jpg

81sbIX3T3AL._AA1443_.jpg

Top Bottom