• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

luka

Loves Robotech S1
KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS
A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME

HIDEO KOJIMA'S
METAL GEAR SOLID

by Hideo Kojima

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The collection wouldn't happen to have Japanese audio + English subtitle options on the discs, would it? I've always wanted to do some playthroughs with Akio Otsuka voice acting, ever since the amazing E3 2000 trailer.

3dmodeler

Has it been confirmed that the game's framerate never dips below 60? The videos in OP look stable but there weren't any heavy particles or action happening. The past metal gears always had this problem when there were lots of explosions on screen.

Being from the UK, I have no idea what release to buy. Whilst I love MGS 2 and 3 and am looking forward to playing them in HD, I could probably wait to February. It's the lure of having Peace Walker, which was outstanding first time round on PSP, online and on my TV that makes me want to buy the US version. November is packed but so is February next year.

mehdi_san

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Being from the UK, I have no idea what release to buy. Whilst I love MGS 2 and 3 and am looking forward to playing them in 3D, I could probably wait to February. It's the lure of having Peace Walker, which was outstanding first time round on PSP, online and on my TV that makes me want to buy the US version. November is packed but so is February next year.
This HD collection is not in 3D, as opposed to the GoW Origins one.

-Winnie-

3dmodeler said:
Has it been confirmed that the game's framerate never dips below 60? The videos in OP look stable but there weren't any heavy particles or action happening. The past metal gears always had this problem when there were lots of explosions on screen.

If you ever tried MGS3 on a BC PS3, man... the fight against The Fury is literally a slideshow haha.

/*Someone please help me order that Limited Edition, it costs 130$ ordered through amazon.com and shipped to Finland :/ */

edit: GAF saves again, thanks Yuripaw!

kaioshade said:
Are people really raging about TS because of the new cutscenes and music? I never actually finished all of TS, but it didnt look THAT bad, unless it takes some fantastical dive at the end?

There's nothing that really redeems Twin Snakes. Never mind the changes made to the cutscenes, music and voice acting, but the gameplay has been fucked up too! The MGS 2 AI wasn't designed for these environments and as a result, makes for a frustrating experience (especially towards the end of the game when you switch to disc 2!), with certain environments that were designed to allow for sneaking and hiding no longer working properly (fuck that Metal Gear PAL code section!). The new actions from MGS 2 are unneccessary and largely useless (except for 1st person aiming, which is overpowered), certain aspects of boss battles no longer work properly (Vulcan Raven tank battle) and some boss battles are now completely broken! (Revolver Ocelot)

And another pet peeve of mine, those fucking trap doors. In the original MGS, they're fairly easy to avoid and walk around, but in Twin Snakes, they're like a fucking magnet! The collision detection is fucked up and it is aggravating!

And if that wasn't enough! The VR Missions are gone completely! What a disaster! Hell! Even the graphics are worse IMO (they're technically better, but lose all the charm that they had with the original version. It's visuals are now just a worse looking version of MGS2's, with no charm or style of their own)

BTW: There's still no word on MGS3's online mode returning for this release is there? :(

mehdi_san said:
It has been confirmed on Twitter that MGS3 has no online, only PW.

Ugh! They go out of their way to add net code to a game that never had online, but they don't bother to keep the online play for a game that already has the net code already done!

Bloody typical.

zlatko

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Local multiplayer only.

What about Ad-Hoc? I was able to play with people online through it. There was both the co-op portion AND competitive multiplayer. I'm curious if the competitive MP portion will be available in Peace Walker. I don't think anyone knew about it. :( It's the same Metal Gear Online formula that has been established and it had tons of new features that even MGS4 didn't.

zlatko said:
What about Ad-Hoc? I was able to play with people online through it. There was both the co-op portion AND competitive multiplayer. I'm curious if the competitive MP portion will be available in Peace Walker. I don't think anyone knew about it. :( It's the same Metal Gear Online formula that has been established and it had tons of new features that even MGS4 didn't.

Adhoc is local multiplayer. You're probably thinking of Adhoc Party, which is a tunneling application (basically a program that takes a LAN or wireless LAN connection and routes it so that it connects through the internet)

The game was never designed for online play on the PSP. Adhoc Party is a sort of hacky way of getting it to work online, when it wasn't supposed to. This new HD version though will support proper online play.

Yen

All these people saying they won't play PW. It was a bloody great game, barring that ridiculous plot point.
She's not thinking from her brain, she's thinking...from her heart

Yenrot said:
All these people saying they won't play PW. It was a bloody great game, barring that ridiculous plot point.

Except for the crappy boss battles and the ridiculous grinding (seriously?! grinding in a MGS game?!)

Yenrot said:

Peace Walker is a great game. With better frame rate and controls it will be even better.

I hope they don't half ass on the multiplayer component of the game. I want proper PSN support. No adhoc party BS.

Jarmel

Banned
So what graphical improvements have been made other than 60FPS? Did they upscale the games? Re-do some of the textures?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Except for the crappy boss battles and the ridiculous grinding (seriously?! grinding in a MGS game?!)

I barely did any grinding. If you just want to beat the SP game, grinding is hardly required.

But if you want to go for all the upgrades and build mechs etc then yeah...

Yen

Nuclear Muffin said:
I don't think I did any grinding, and the boss battles were decent enough. Only grinding you'd have to do would be for building your Metal Gear.

Yuripaw

Banned
Noisepurge said:
/*Someone please help me order that Limited Edition, it costs 130$ ordered through amazon.com and shipped to Finland :/ */

edit: GAF saves again, thanks Yuripaw!
No problem, just glad to help a fellow gaffer, and MGS fan :)

Yen

6.jpg

I've nabbed this one.

Mgs 3 was server based.It doesn't matter if the 'netcode was already there!!!1'. Anyone thinking konami would host servers for this re-release is delusional.

Pack is looking great. Looking forward to co-op PW.

soldat7

Yenrot said:
I don't think I did any grinding, and the boss battles were decent enough. Only grinding you'd have to do would be for building your Metal Gear.

Which I found to be strangely addicting.

RedSwirl

RyanardoDaVinci said:
This is great but the title lettering should really be white.

It'd be much easier to read.

Tried that (at least on the 360 cover) and the white font was just as difficult to read. Sorry.

I'm also probably going to leave the PSN logo on there because the game has multiplayer (and is a pretty core element of PW). My policy.

Yenrot said:

This, i only fought some bosses repeatedly to get parts for my MG. And i stopped playing after the final battle, before the elite versions of bosses. Those would require grinding and/or too much patience.

LiK

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nah, MGS: The twin snakes proved that it wasn't timeless.
The redubbed voices, altered music/cutscenes and Nintendo references? Of course not, they butchered the original to death. TS's only redeeming quality were the graphics.

I like MGS's graphics. I find them charming.

Oni Jazar said:
I'm a huge MGS fan but that Limited Edition is pretty steep for just a book. I want to see what's in it.

It is tempting, but I just can't justify spending that much on an artbook I may look at only a few times.

Ridley327

Yenrot said:
In order to unlock the final act of the campaign, you have to grind.

Act 5 is something that shouldn't have happened at all.

BadWolf

Yenrot said:

I really enjoyed it but like it the least of the MGS games, don't like the plot direction and what they did with the Boss (she was done perfectly in MGS3, there is no need to add anything more).

Also didn't like the fact that the extra missions reused a lot of the areas from the single player campaign, this makes SP less special for me. Holding ppl up was also kind of game breaking.

Yenrot said:
You did not unlock every Eva's tape&other stuff like that did you ?
They ruin Metal Gear as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler for everybody: Apparently The Boss is responsible for every single things that happened on earth between 1940~ and 1964 :|

BadWolf

Hitoribhoshi said:
You did not unlock every Eva's tape&other stuff like that did you ?
They ruin Metal Gear as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler for everybody: Apparently The Boss is responsible for every single things that happened on earth between 1940~ and 1964 :|

Felt the same, really wanted to stack PW with Portable Ops as not canon.

soldat7

LiK said:
Listen to this man. MGS1 has so many classic moments.

Still my favorite Metal Gear game. It sits comfortably amongst my Top Five™, even after all these years.

BadWolf said:
Felt the same, really wanted to stack PW with Portable Ops as not canon.

PO sure, but PW? No way.

Top Bottom