• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 coming to NintendoSwitch on 24/10 | Nintendo Direct

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No Twin Snakes? :messenger_sad_relieved:

Go Away Reaction GIF

bender

What time is it?
Not too surprising, Konami have been doing excellent work with their ports. The Castlevania and Contra Anniversary collections were fantastic and were done by M2, who are the gold standard developer of ports. The upcoming Suikoden remaster also looks like one of the best HD-2D remasters yet.

People are just far too consumed by their Konami hate boner though to recognize that the company is capable of quality.

It's little to do with a hate boner and more to do with time/effort ($$$) that Konami is willing to invest. While the Castlevania and Contract collections are great, porting those games is relatively trivial. It will be curious to see how PS3/X360 versions run on Switch/PS4. Xbox platforms seem to be the safest bet as those games already fun on those systems thanks to BC which makes me curious how this collection will be delivered.

DareDaniel

Banned
None of these games was PS3 only.

It includes MSX, NES, PS1 and PS2 games, which later got included in a HD Collection for Vita, PS3, 360 and PC. This seems to be basically that collection ported to current gen consoles and tweaked with some bonus content like guides.

I assume they'll port the PC version of the Metal Gear HD Collection to all current consoles, sounds like the 'easiest' job.
The best version of MGS3 came with the HD Collection which is getting ported to PC for the first time now.
I never cared about the vita version because of the controls and don't have Xbox one and series x to play the 360 version on new consoles, so yeah i was stuck with the PS3 version until now which I can finally upgrade to the pc version.

Sleepwalker

Id rather play twin sneks than the ps1 original, dont even care.

Cant wait for konami to make this $70 but ill be there day 1 anyway. Just not on switch lol

Id rather play twin sneks than the ps1 original, dont even care.

Cant wait for konami to make this $70 but ill be there day 1 anyway. Just not on switch lol
Yeah, I don't know about rather, but I would like to have both options personally. I sold my Twin Snakes long ago but still have MGS on PSX, but I'd like to revisit Twin Snakes without having to hunt down a Gamecube copy.

I'd get this on Switch if it ran really well - that would be a cool portable to have. Otherwise Playstation for me. Hopefully not 70 dollars. 😨

PaintTinJr

No twin snakes, no buy.

Completely missed opportunity considering all the work that was done to enhance the rickety old PC version of the game to bring MGS up to MGS2 technology levels on GC. Yes the Nintendo specific things like Yoshi was cringe, but playability, I don't play the old PS1 version, but opt for the Twin snakes version on GC. It holds up so much better, and had loads of reshot cut scenes that Kojima directed, despite being a Silicon Knights remaster/remake.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Be interesting to see how these turn out on the Switch and if there's enough of an upgrade to buy these again. Already got MGS HD on Vita & the 3D version of Snake Eater on 3DS, so pretty much covered on the go
I'm a big 3DS advocate, but Snake Eater only worked if you were the SNEAKIEST of snakes. More than two or three enemies on screen was utter horror.

mrcroket

No twin snakes, no buy.

Completely missed opportunity considering all the work that was done to enhance the rickety old PC version of the game to bring MGS up to MGS2 technology levels on GC. Yes the Nintendo specific things like Yoshi was cringe, but playability, I don't play the old PS1 version, but opt for the Twin snakes version on GC. It holds up so much better, and had loads of reshot cut scenes that Kojima directed, despite being a Silicon Knights remaster/remake.

No, the gameplay is broken, they added the mechanics of mgs2 without adapting the scenarios, which were not designed to be able to shoot in first person and from afar, and the soundtrack is horrible.

The best decision is to pretend it never existed.

PaintTinJr

The best version of MGS3 came with the HD Collection which is getting ported to PC for the first time now.
I never cared about the vita version because of the controls and don't have Xbox one and series x to play the 360 version on new consoles, so yeah i was stuck with the PS3 version until now which I can finally upgrade to the pc version.
IIRC the best version is the PS2 US original version - which I had to import. The following hardware gen dropped pressure sensitive face buttons so the CQC gameplay was taken from - IIRC- the dumbed down PAL release on PS2. The NTSC, and presumably NTSC-J versions of the game had far more expresses inputs for chaining of CQC take downs like in the cutscenes, but without pressure sensitive buttons, it all needed dumbed down and reworked.

PaintTinJr

No, the gameplay is broken, they added the mechanics of mgs2 without adapting the scenarios, which were not designed to be able to shoot in first person and from afar, and the soundtrack is horrible.

The best decision is to pretend it never existed.
Complete sheep repeating rubbish IMHO for the huge community hat boner twin snakes gets, but then I watched all the dev diary website Kojima did for the game at the time, so was seeing the changes long before I bought it on import - to play at 480p on 120inch Panasonic PT-AE100 projector via component.

All the aging flaws of the original are signal to noise issues, and limitations by hardware, the PS1 version still has a FPS look camera. The enhancements are transformative to even be able to play the game on modern TV using full digital audio via hdmi.

Gambit2483

Does anyone know if Konami has announced if this will have a physical version?

It honestly feels like companies are looking for more and more opportunities to launch these games digital only.

Last edited:

Gojiira

No twin snakes, no buy.

HAH HAHAH HAHA No….Enhance ie Redundant gameplay additions and reshot cutscenes and VA did not enhance the original at all…What a fucking joke 😂
No, original game with the superior Music, VA and gameplay that isn't broken by pointless ‘enhancements’…

bender

What time is it?
HAH HAHAH HAHA No….Enhance ie Redundant gameplay additions and reshot cutscenes and VA did not enhance the original at all…What a fucking joke 😂
No, original game with the superior Music, VA and gameplay that isn't broken by pointless ‘enhancements’…

I don't mind the mechanical tweaks to Twin Snakes but they failed to rebalance the difficulty which made the experience way too easy.

Last edited:
Big yikes, Konami! Wanted to buy this on cart day one for the Switch but I guess I'll pass on it now. Will wait till the collection inevitably gets dropped into PS+ or GP.

20230621_204944.jpg

jcorb

Excited to see they're including VR Missions (real talk, I probably spent more time with that game than any other in the series). Strange they're seemingly not including the Substance or Subsistence content for MGS 2 and 3, though. For that matter, I feel like the 3DS version of MGS3 was generally considered the definitive version, wasn't it?

Not surprised that Twin Snakes isn't included here, but I *do* hope it gets its own re-release at some point.

jcorb

Big yikes, Konami! Wanted to buy this on cart day one for the Switch but I guess I'll pass on it now. Will wait till the collection inevitably gets dropped into PS+ or GP.

20230621_204944.jpg
Oof.

It really, REALLY bums me out when companies do stuff like this. I'm all for digital versions being available, but if you're buying the physical copy of a game, it's because you WANT the physical copy of the game. Splitting games out like this seems kind of shady, imo.

PaintTinJr

Well IMHO the joke is that people can't see the wood for the trees. So fixated on minute "problem" issues, yet can't see that the original looks like garbage, today. Even in the direct video you can see how bad it looks watching on tiny laptop /Smartphone screens compared to modern day TV sizes.

The cube version is a true 3d render like PS2 MGS2,, whereas the original is effectively a 2.5D game, where everything is delivered in a specific sequence so the illusion of the lack of true 3D - outside the FPS sections of being in the vents crawling - isn't broken.

I love the original game, but the flaws when placed next to Twin snakes are like day and night, whereas your complaints - which were still kojimaPro directed choices -are edge case OCD issues. They really are, if you really try to look for the technical differences.

There isn't even a zbuffer used(depth buffer for hidden surface removal) in the original, just pre-sorted polygons on the CPU and subdivided when intersecting, to sort again to avoid front-back, back-front polygon overlap errors

If they don't sell these separately that would be some BS since on console it's MGS1 we havnt had access to in forever, meanwhile we've had the mgs HD collection which has 2 and 3

xrnzaaas

So no chance for this to be a retail release, eh? I wanted to comfortably replay MGS1 for quite a while (and get some trophies as a bonus ;)) so I'll be there. Maybe not day1 if it's full price, but hopefully this year.

Gambit2483

20230621_204944.jpg

Should have known they would cheap out on this...they could have EASILY loaded at least the first 2 games on a 16GB cart...but not only do they get the cheapest cart but they only put 2.4GB on it.

What's even the point??

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So this hadn’t been shown in video before today, only announced? Seems incredible that Sony let slip the chance to be the first to show this collection, MGS was one of their flagships for such a long time and definitely helped them cement PlayStation’s reputation.

mrcroket

Well IMHO the joke is that people can't see the wood for the trees. So fixated on minute "problem" issues, yet can't see that the original looks like garbage, today. Even in the direct video you can see how bad it looks watching on tiny laptop /Smartphone screens compared to modern day TV sizes.

The cube version is a true 3d render like PS2 MGS2,, whereas the original is effectively a 2.5D game, where everything is delivered in a specific sequence so the illusion of the lack of true 3D - outside the FPS sections of being in the vents crawling - isn't broken.

I love the original game, but the flaws when placed next to Twin snakes are like day and night, whereas your complaints - which were still kojimaPro directed choices -are edge case OCD issues. They really are, if you really try to look for the technical differences.

There isn't even a zbuffer used(depth buffer for hidden surface removal) in the original, just pre-sorted polygons on the CPU and subdivided when intersecting, to sort again to avoid front-back, back-front polygon overlap errors
What? 2.5D? Stop talking about what you have no idea about please. You are making a fool of yourself.

KillaJamm

Really would be all over this but it seems pointless as I got the HD collection on my Xbox already, not worth the price just for MGS1 alone.

PaintTinJr

What? 2.5D? Stop talking about what you have no idea about please. You are making a fool of yourself.
Go check the PS1 hardware and tell me where the zbuffer is? The game was built around the PS1 and because of the lack of zbuffer, all hidden surface removal was either predetermined draw orders, or done on the CPU, but with the caveat that because they are drawn whole polygons and not broken into fragments - like with a zbuffer - of fragment shader. two overlapping polygons that both have nearer fragments in part of their polygons create a glitch, or need subdivided to smaller polygons, then sorted again.

A good example is in the pitlane crew of Virtua Racing, have these issue with their limbs - even in the arcade version, because zbuffers weren't standard then, just like a PS1 doesn't have one, leading to the carefully sequenced draw orders you see in MGS1, where the detail was very high for that type of game for the time(vs polygon processing of the PS1).

Trilobit

I just like that Nintendo fans who don't branch out can play this amazing franchise now

I like that the Switch is getting such a variety of ports. For many it's the only console they have and can afford so getting classics is pretty cool. As long as the ports are of good quality the developers can keep 'em coming!

mrcroket

Go check the PS1 hardware and tell me where the zbuffer is? The game was built around the PS1 and because of the lack of zbuffer, all hidden surface removal was either predetermined draw orders, or done on the CPU, but with the caveat that because they are drawn whole polygons and not broken into fragments - like with a zbuffer - of fragment shader. two overlapping polygons that both have nearer fragments in part of their polygons create a glitch, or need subdivided to smaller polygons, then sorted again.

A good example is in the pitlane crew of Virtua Racing, have these issue with their limbs - even in the arcade version, because zbuffers weren't standard then, just like a PS1 doesn't have one, leading to the carefully sequenced draw orders you see in MGS1, where the detail was very high for that type of game for the time(vs polygon processing of the PS1).
I know what the zbuffer is and that psx used a software solution to calculate which polygons have to be seen or not on screen,

But that doesn't mean that it was not completely in 3d, all the environment, characters and weapons are modeled in 3d, the overhead view does not make it 2.5d. 2.5 are games that mixed elements 2d and 3d elements or generate a false 3d by perspective and/or pixel scaling, like gta 1 and 2 does.

Saying that mgs is 2.5d is like saying that no psx game is 3d, which is absurd.

PaintTinJr

I know what the zbuffer is and that psx used a software solution to calculate which polygons have to be seen or not on screen,

But that doesn't mean that it was not completely in 3d, all the environment, characters and weapons are modeled in 3d, the overhead view does not make it 2.5d. 2.5 are games that mixed elements 2d and 3d elements or generate a false 3d by perspective and/or pixel scaling, like gta 1 and 2 does.

Saying that mgs is 2.5d is like saying that no psx game is 3d, which is absurd.

The exact phrase I used was

and it was a comparison between twin snakes and the original. If that was the only version then I wouldn't be making the comparison.

Whether I would argue that games that didn't provide arbitrary unpredictable user select 3D within the confines of what they offered, I'm not inclined either way, but I would definitely say the PS1 had lots of 3D games. Tekken 2 or ISS Pro Evolution or Ridge Racer, just to name three out of hundreds allowed arbitrary access to camera movement within their simulations, much like Virtua Racing arcade example I gave is definitely a 3D game in spite of a lack of zbuffer, but my main point is that twin snakes lets your arbitrarily view MGS in a way the original doesn't and the main reason I consider it the definitive version.

RAIDEN1

Talk about MISSED opportunity though Konami should have redone the 1st Metal Gear from 1998, instead of bringing the graphically inferior to the Gamecube version of the 1st game...I've got the HD collection for the Xbox series X, and 2/3 months back purchased Peace-walker....and instead of the NES versions of the very first entry into this series I'll check out Un-Metal instead...I am more intrigued by Volume 2 of this....will it have Metal Gear 4?

Last edited:

Gojiira

Edge case OCD huh, no gameplay being broken and level design not being changed to accommodate said gameplay changes is a objective fact. Weaker VA and Audio overall is also a objective fact. The godawful cutscenes and OTT missile surfing shite that wasn’t in ANY OTHER MGS is also objectively awful and detracts heavily from the experience. Even when played side by side nobody can argue that the overall presentation and atmosphere isnt better in the original. None of this is ‘Edge case ocd’, unlike the people who genuinely think TTS is any kind of improvement except visually.
As for how much of it was Kojima approved…Heavy Doubt, given none of the stupid shit in TTS ever resurfaced except by Raiden Aka a Cyborg and even then nothing as stupid as surfing a fucking missile…
Objectively a inferior remake.

Pallas

Gold Member
Would be wild if the Acid spin offs and Ghost Babel gets ported. The metal gear acid games and Ghost aren’t canon though and I don’t think Kojima was directly involved in them but I will say the acid games were some really fun SRPG’s that utilized cards.

EDMIX

Volume 2 with PW, 4 and 5?

I was thinking the same thing.

I'd love to have theses on PS4 / PS5 for the collection. Don't get me wrong, I'm hype for the remake, but I still love the classics and welcome both.

(this is also great for Nintendo fans who are fans of the IP)

Scotty W

Gold Member
Edge case OCD huh, no gameplay being broken and level design not being changed to accommodate said gameplay changes is a objective fact. Weaker VA and Audio overall is also a objective fact. The godawful cutscenes and OTT missile surfing shite that wasn’t in ANY OTHER MGS is also objectively awful and detracts heavily from the experience. Even when played side by side nobody can argue that the overall presentation and atmosphere isnt better in the original. None of this is ‘Edge case ocd’, unlike the people who genuinely think TTS is any kind of improvement except visually.
As for how much of it was Kojima approved…Heavy Doubt, given none of the stupid shit in TTS ever resurfaced except by Raiden Aka a Cyborg and even then nothing as stupid as surfing a fucking missile…
Objectively a inferior remake.

bender

What time is it?
Portable Ops
Peace Walker
MGS4
GZ
TPP
Ghost Babel
Ac!d
Ac!d 2
Twin Snakes
Survive
Rising

Theres a couple of Mobile games as well but I highly doubt they'll be in

More unpopular Metal Gear Opinions, Survive isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It's far from great and maybe I just loved being in that game engine, but I finished the campaign and had a good enough time to sink those hours in. I can't imagine it will find its' way into the collections. I have my doubts about Rising, Twin Snakes, Portable Ops/Plus as well. Ghost Babel would be amazing though.

I do wonder how the games playable on modern systems (PS4/PS5: GZ, MGS5, Survive - Xbox: GZ, MGS5, Survive, MGS2, MGS3, Peace Walker, Rising) will be delivered in these packages.

Top Bottom