• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid The Legacy Collection – Japanese price, release and boxart revealed

black_13

Banned
If MGS1 was Twin Snakes version or at least some higher-res HD version I'd jump on it in a second. I borrowed my friends Gamecube just for Twin Snakes. It's way more playable than the classic version despite minor changes.

Still I might just buy this anyway as I didn't buy the HD collection and just played my friends copy.

Will buy.

It will probably be my 24523434th copy of MGS3, but thats fine.

MGS2 in my case :D

mgs.jpg

BIGVgBaCEAAm4r3.jpg:large

Snake's head in the top-left corner behind the M E letters, is that new art? He looks younger with a shorter mullet (ala Solid Snake, not Big Boss). Same with the one in the top-right corner. But I don't think I've seen these particular artworks/character models before.

Sinople

$80 for an HD collection that goes for $30, a PS1 classic that goes for $10, and a 5 year old game that goes for $20. Where are the other $20 going to?

¥8,000 is the usual MRP for a PS3 game in Japan.
If you buy them separately, it's actually ¥4,000 (MGS4) + ¥4,000 (2&3 HD) + ¥3,500 (PW HD) + ¥1,200 (MGS) = ¥12,700 (well, actually around ¥10,000 as they're usually cheaper in shops).
Besides, the collection is already available for preorder for far less (¥6,500 on amazon).

aristotle

Man I'm really tempted to get this. Of course I also have 1 day to purchase the PSN versions right now before they end the sale. Decisions, decisions. :(

fvng

This collection will fail if

* they don't add a ton of supplemental material (making ofs, trailers, international commercials, interviews, etc)

* they don't include an art book of some sort [nailed that]

* super sexy packaging [nailed that]

* MGS1 NOT as a download code. New PS1 discs pressed for this edition [they fucked this up]

It has to be a true anthology of MGS

If it's too barebones then there is no appeal to the metal gear fan that already has all these games most likely

Boke1879

Gotta purchase this. I'm a Metal Gear Solid nut and no matter how many versions and collections they make I'll most likely buy them.

Konami are banking on the diehards to pick this up, and then hoping a few people who were trying to get into the series bite on this.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have like 2-3 copies of each game in the series already...

goddammit, guess I'll have 3-4 copies of each game in the series now.

Alienous

BIGVgBaCEAAm4r3.jpg:large

Snake's head in the top-left corner behind the M E letters, is that new art? He looks younger with a shorter mullet (ala Solid Snake, not Big Boss). Same with the one in the top-right corner. But I don't think I've seen these particular artworks/character models before.

Top left is MGS2 Snake, rendered as he would be today. 'Top right' is MGS1 Snake, rendered similarly. They both appear to be new art.

Raiden's had a similar treatment.

fvng

The recent super deluxe Final Fantasy Anthology had brand new PS1 discs pressed for that edition. This collection feels incomplete since some of the games are download vouchers. So close

Though it seems you're lacking the 3DS port of MGS3 and the MSX games.

yeah 3DS port is in the works as soon as i spot it on a game shop for cheapsies. No hurry there.

MSX games are just way too expensive, +300$ a piece. Same goes for the RED edition of Subsistance. Need to find these at a garage sale for 5$ like some lucky bastards have done :D

UPDATE:

Online retailers Amazon.com has added Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection to their shop. According to the store, the game will release July 9 for a price of $49.99.
Amazon has not yet added the game to their European stores. Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection will release exclusively on PlayStation 3.

Source: metalgearsolid.nl

Ridley327

UPDATE:

Online retailers Amazon.com has added Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection to their shop. According to the store, the game will release July 9 for a price of $49.99.
Amazon has not yet added the game to their European stores. Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection will release exclusively on PlayStation 3.

I can't believe people thought this was going to be $80 over here.

whatswrongwithyou.gif

Sky Chief

UPDATE:

Lol, I love the Amazon description:

• Over 60 hours of epic gameplay
  • Eight complete games: metal gear, metal gear 2, metal gear solid 1, metal gear solid 2: hd edition, metal gear solid 3: hd edition, metal gear solid 4: trophy edition, metal gear solid: peace walker hd edition, metal gear solid: vr missions
  • 2 Exclusive Ashley Wood Bande Desinee Graphic Novels; Upscaled in HD and released for the first time in North America and Latin America
  • 92+ Average Metacritic Rating for all games
  • 100 PG Artbook - spanning the 25 year history of the acclaimed Metal Gear series

lucius

So someone that owns the MGS HD Collection and MGS4 has not much reason to buy this unless your a collector. They should have included that extra Blu-ray from limited edition of MGS4 that had like 4 hours of good behind the scenes stuff, I kind of regret giving that away should have been selfish and kept it.

mattp

meh no thanks

the only way konami is getting me to buy these games again is with a totally comprehensive boxset

each game on it's own disc. document of mgs2, no download codes, a big nice box to store the games in not just a double thick bluray case, big art book with all concept art from every game, etc

witness

Since I dont have any of my metal gear games anymore, and my bday is on the july 20th, now I know what my wife can get me! The only question is, do I leave it sealed?

Biker19

Banned
This collection can be very good for someone like myself that hasn't picked up any of the MGS games at all.

Though MGS 1 should've also been on the disc too.

Also, what difference does it make if it's disc-based or downloadable?

Because people like us may want to play that game years down the road for nostalgia? It's guaranteed with a physical copy. The same can't be said for a digital copy.

Top Bottom