• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

StuBurns said:
It's closer to PSP than any other platform I can think of. I certainly don't think it's PS2 level.

I can only believe you haven't fired up your PS2 copy of MGS3 lately.

pringles

Been waiting to play MGS3 for a long time, never thought a Nintendo handheld would be where I could finally do it.

Graphically it looks really amazing.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My fucking god.

I was interested in getting a 3DS before this... but holy fucking shit now I'm getting one day one.

Branduil

10gfbtd.jpg

At the very least Snake Eater for 3DS has normal mapping, which the PS2 version doesn't have.

Knight77 said:
The most intersting thing on the video is the blonde girl and her boobs...

When the guy zoomed in I thought "heh can you read my mind! Are you really gonna zoom them!?" :lol

Anyway I am quite disappointed by this, I mean...ok no MGS5 ok no new IP but...this? I'll pass...

MGS5 is already out brah.

deleted

Y2Kev said:
Is this a full port of MGS3? What's "The Naked Sample"?

I think its the name of the booth video. Name of the game is Snake Eater 3D.

I want this game now, way too many awesome 3ds games today, but this is my pinnacle!

StuBurns said:
It's closer to PSP than any other platform I can think of. I certainly don't think it's PS2 level.

You're right its well beyond that. A launch MGS title for the 3DS looks markedly better than a MGS title developed after half a decade of refining games on PS2 technology and yet somehow the 3DS has worse hardware. Yeah, sure, that makes a load of sense.

StuBurns

Banned
brain_stew said:
You're right its well beyond that. A launch MGS title for the 3DS looks markedly better than a MGS title developed after half a decade of refining games on PS2 technology and yet somehow the 3DS has worse hardware. Yeah, sure, that makes a load of sense.
The image quality is crap in comparison (and don't blame a small screen, you can have far higher resolution, iPhone 4 for example). Yeah the textures are higher res, that's not the only thing that matters. It looks pretty mediocre. This is coming five and half years after PSP (Jeremy Parish, who is seeing this in person is saying it's PSP level), that's a larger gap than Xbox to Xbox 360. Graphically, do you think this is a larger gap than that? No, it's not even bordering on it.

I'm not saying it's not great, I'm saying people who are shocked are insane. I'm surprised it's as underwhelming as it is.

neptunes

looks slightly above PSP level (which matched some PS2 games)

There's something off about the texture quality and its colors. The game get's free anti-aliasing if it's being rendered higher than the screen's max resolution.

I hope Kojima gets rid of the janky medical bits

I'm still perplexed why Kojima's decided to port a 6-year-old game to the 3DS. I trust he's going to retcon the shit out of the story and add details from Peace Walker and MGS4 into it.

Mod should change the title. The full name (as given on Nintendo and Konami's sites) is Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater.

Naked Sample is apparently the demo on display.

seady

The 3D effect will make everything 10x better I think.
Call it a gimmick if you want, but it does make it more exciting to look at.

Jexhius said:
Well damn :lol

The same reason Nintendo are putting Starfox, Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario etc. on it. Because they will sell RIDICULOUSLY well.

Kojima could make a new Metal Gear game that builds on the features introduced in Peace Walker and it would sell ridiculously well.

Red Blaster said:
I'm still perplexed why Kojima's decided to port a 6-year-old game to the 3DS. I trust he's going to retcon the shit out of the story and add details from Peace Walker and MGS4 into it.

he can do that and it'll end up being hated on like twin snakes :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
infinityBCRT said:
thats a PSP bullshot. PSP's color depth is crap compared to the 3DS shot and resolution is not nearly that good nor is there any AA. With 3DS being in 3D, it will have an automatic AA effect going for it, so the game will look even better than we're seeing in the 3DS screenshots. This will easily look better than Peace Walker.
The hair looks better in the 3DS shot imo.

I just realized that we will never get a new cannon MGS game for a Nintendo system, like ever, so this is the best you'll get on 3DS, embrace it, love it.

Easy_D said:
The hair looks better in the 3DS shot imo.

The hair, the polycount, the textures, the lightning, the shaders....I'd say everything looks better.

Maybe PSP snake is better designed but the model is inferior in any posible way.

Onemic

matrix-cat said:
Character models look noticeably better than the PS2 version. Big Boss is definitely a different model, at least.

No way. its got the better shader effects,(normal maps) but the PS2 version has much higher res textures and polygons. It's easily noticeable.

Boney

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
I just realized that we will never get a new cannon MGS game for a Nintendo system, like ever, so this is the best you'll get on 3DS, embrace it, love it.

The hair, the polycount, the textures, the lightning, the shaders....I'd say everything looks better.

Maybe PSP snake is better designed but the model is inferior in any posible way.
I'll make sweet love to it.

StuBurns

Banned
Darklord said:
Isn't it weird sticking MGS3 on the 3DS? Why not 1 and 2?
No? If they remove the micromanagement, make the camo 10x faster and it'll be the best game in the series, and it's completely stand alone in story. And it's MGS3, so MGS3D makes sense.

It is a perfect choice.

Epcott

Damnit Kojima... I just bought PW... wtf?

Looks like I'm going to have to buy this too.
I'm amazed at how clear the textures are. 3DS > PS2 graphics... at least, going by those shots. Question is, is it realtime?

Darklord

Banned
StuBurns said:
No? If they remove the micromanagement, make the camo 10x faster and it'll be the best game in the series, and it's completely stand alone in story. And it's MGS3, so MGS3D makes sense.

It is a perfect choice.

The third title in the series is a stand alone? What? I thought it was like some flashback thing like a prequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom