• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V final box art (A Hideo Kojima Game/Kojima Productions removed)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Does no one at Konami have any sense how does this do them any good? What a shame this is the way this franchise/studio is ending.

Man, Kojima must have unleashed his Big Boss on the owner of Konami's daughters or got them hopped up on the coco for such hatred and trying to wipe out that name from Konami's history.

This is like same major "dishonorment" shit.

LewieP

Omission of his name aside, that's an ugly bit of artwork on the box.

Am I correct in thinking that MGS is one of those series where the European release sometimes has different and more tasteful artwork?

Fucking Konami... I'm not surprised.

Edit: I was secretly hoping there was some Shinkawa art cover for the day one or any edition, but I knew that was way too much to ask from Konami.

lol why would they care. You bought the game.

I'm not buying shit lol, i'm was over metal gear years ago. But still you can't even ask Konami any questions about Hideo without them having a hissy (see Angry Joe), i'm sure it would piss them off a bit. This doesn't bother me in the slightest but it's still a dick move by Konami so whatever peepz (not me) can do to piss them off lol.

The worst part is that no one can really do anything against Konami because after this they'll pretty much be leaving the console game business. They give no shits.

Spenny

Konami sure does come off as vindictive a-holes. I've never waited to buy used on a game I'm super excited about, but I may do it for this game. I can wait a few days.

Houndi101

The worst part is that no one can really do anything against Konami because after this they'll pretty much be leaving the console game business. They give no shits.

You better hope that MGO and the main game comes out perfect because hoping for patches at this point...

Gren

If they think the fans are that stupid they're in for a shock when the next MGS after V drops.

That's why they said "certain" people.

Still, if one is only willing to go so far as the boxart to see if Kojima is invovled, how much could his involvement factor towards their purchasing decision to begin with? Must be an awfully small lot such as that.

This feels a touch presumptuous; Kojima probably has done little work outside of high level feature requests for the Fox engine. It's not like he's coding the thing by himself or at all. This is why, IMO, the removal of the KojiPro logo from the box is more of a slap in the face - to the members of KojiPro that nobody really knows but spent years making the Fox engine and this game.

That's what I meant. I say "him," I meant his team, though.

Hope it has the shinkawa art on the reverse like GZ did. Its a pretty awful cover compared to most other MGS covers, even without the Kojima Game/KojiPro logo.

The one thing that worries me more than the absence of Kojima's name on the box is whether or not Konami censored the game in any way.
I really like to play the game the way it was envisioned by him, no cuts or compromises of some sorts which Konami might have demanded.

Do we have any info related to that? I haven't really followed the development of this game as of lately.

I REALLY hope Kojima snuck an F U to Konami somewhere in the game.

Probably gonna do what he did in Ground Zeroes. Create a gun that erases markings from objects. Place a Konami marking in the environment. When the player erases the marking, Kaz says "It's nothing special."

The one thing that worries me more than the absence of Kojima's name on the box is whether or not Konami censored the game in any way.
I really like to play the game the way it was envisioned by him, no cuts or compromises of some sorts which Konami might have demanded.

Do we have any info related to that? I haven't really followed the development of this game as of lately.

The earliest we may know anything of that nature is December, when Kojima is expected to leave. I don't expect it in the BTS Blu-ray, but someone will probably come out and have something to say about it sooner or later.

Maybe it's on the back? MGS4 didn't have Kojima's name on the front either, but it's all on the back.

dedsddy.jpg

FLD

I hope it's being done as a form of protest and that he's not actually that much of an egomaniac.

No idea but Kojima did say at some point something along the lines of "if previous MGS games were movies, then MGSV is more like a TV show". I would imagine the episodic structure of the game was decided upon way before any of this shit started going down, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was done purely out of commitment to that analogy/format.

-Eddman-

Really low from Konami, or what's left of it. The feeling that these practices will be more and more common as console gaming becomes irrelevant makes something like Iwata's passing even sadder.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I hope it's being done as a form of protest and that he's not actually that much of an egomaniac.
In MGS4 he cast himself as "the voice of god." He's pretty narcissistic. I can understand removing the kojipro logo from the cover since they technically don't exist anymore according to Snake's VA, but the hideo name seems to be out of spite.

Probably gonna do what he did in Ground Zeroes. Create a gun that erases markings from objects. Place a Konami marking in the environment. When the player erases the marking, Kaz says "It's nothing special."

The earliest we may know anything of that nature is December, when Kojima is expected to leave. I don't expect it in the BTS Blu-ray, but someone will probably come out and have something to say about it sooner or later.

I was hoping more for something like a codec conversation stating something like Konami are some fucking bitches.

Really low from Konami, or what's left of it. The feeling that these practices will be more and more common as console gaming becomes irrelevant makes something like Iwata's passing even sadder.

Yeah, man, it's sad. It would be nice if a man's philosophy dictated things rather the market, but that's just the time we live in, I guess. I think people get caught up way too much with "bad practices," too, though. At the end of the day, the games are made by people who have poured huge chunks of their lives into them - Kojima, for instance, sleeps four hours a day. Games aren't made by these giant corporations, they're made by people who want us to have fun and experience something that they feel only they can deliver. So, for me, that outweighs any sort of "bad practice" that may be part of a game's life cycle.

Gren

I was hoping more for something like a codec conversation stating something like Konami are some fucking bitches.

Lol, if they hid something like that in the base game I may have to go out and buy a console copy just for posterity, as Konami would no doubt demand Valve patch the title & wipe the originals (ala San Andreas).

Betty

Banned
Can't we just boycott Konami by not buying the game?

Guys? Hello? Anyone?

Rendering all the years of hard work and passion done by Kojima and his team as meaningless? No thanks.

Better to show them what a good thing they had with Kojima when it sells gangbusters and the next iteration tanks spectacularly.

Top Bottom