• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Anthology coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics next week

I played the hell out of the Wii version. Hopefully they fix the supposed input lag for this?

Consider Capcom's state right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we get God Hand Remastered in the future (as well as Okami).

I'd be down for The Clover Collection: Remastered.

Of course, it will never happen.

I rember that the PS2 version had input lag ( especially Metal Slug 6 ) and sometimes it was really annoying. Can't image how the emulation of an emulation will be regarding that.

The PAL PS2 version of this was embarrassing considering how late it came out on the system, gigantic image-crushing borders with no 60Hz option. Input lag on top of input lag.

Hopefully they don't put that shit up on EU PSN.

Loona

IIRC on PS2 that had some unlockable galleries and dev interviews, so that's some added value over in dividual game ports that lacked that.

Type-Zero

Time to triple dip, I bought the ps2 version and psp. Totally worth it for 7 awesome games. It has loading issues but I did not bother me at all. The lag is not as bad as people make it.

I'll pick this up today, but they could get soooo much more money out of me if they'd just do an updated one with emulation comparable to their Metal Slug 3 release, all extras and features from every release, a nice menu and options, and include 7 & XX in the package.

It has online co-op?

It was a PS2 release and I don't remember it having any network options.

However, I haven't bought any PS2 classics before to know, but if Share Play works for PS2 games on PS4 then that would work fine with it's local play. That's where the game essentially streams to someone on your friends list and you and them a virtual controller connection. I've used it on 1001 Spikes, Mortal Kombat X etc.

Anyone know if PS2 games are eligible for Share Play?

OmegaFax

It was a PS2 release and I don't remember it having any network options.

However, I haven't bought any PS2 classics before to know, but if Share Play works for PS2 games on PS4 then that would work fine with it's local play. That's where the game essentially streams to someone on your friends list and you and them a virtual controller connection. I've used it on 1001 Spikes, Mortal Kombat X etc.

Anyone know if PS2 games are eligible for Share Play?

Share Play works on PS2 games. Metal Slug Anthology should work.

There is a port of Metal Slug 3 on PSN you should watch for if it's ever on sale again. The game has online co-op that even works between the PSV and PS4 online.

MissingString

Neo Member
I rember that the PS2 version had input lag ( especially Metal Slug 6 ) and sometimes it was really annoying. Can't image how the emulation of an emulation will be regarding that.

I totally don't remember this on the PS2 version, but I just picked up the PS4 version and the input lag is nuts. It really makes everything feel heavy and clunky. The fact that it's way more expensive than normal PS2 re-releases makes it even more insulting.

Save your monies, people.

I totally don't remember this on the PS2 version, but I just picked up the PS4 version and the input lag is nuts. It really makes everything feel heavy and clunky. The fact that it's way more expensive than normal PS2 re-releases makes it even more insulting.

ugh :(

Bring it to Steam please. Some of us enjoy the post-3 Metal Slug games too.

Was the PS2 version any better than the Wii? I remember enjoying the latter port.

The Wii version is better in every way. The only thing it's missing is the hit flash.

I would love an Xbox collection of metal slug games.

Is the input lag really bad? I really want to play metal slug!! Number 3 took so much money from me in the arcade when I was a kid.

I would love an Xbox collection of metal slug games.

Is the input lag really bad? I really want to play metal slug!! Number 3 took so much money from me in the arcade when I was a kid.

The best way to play them now is 1 and 2 on PS3 via the Neo Geo Station ports by M2 (I've only played 2 but it's fantastic- you can get rid of the slowdown that plagues most versions of MS2, so I'd assume MS1 is just as good), and 3 on the PS4. I'm not sure how the Steam versions are though, but I assume they'll be OK.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I love these targeted content strikes. Put Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, and Tekken 5 on the list for the entire tekken series on PS4(since 1-3 are in t5)

While I'd really enjoy a remastered Tekken 6 or Tag 2 (especially with the Wii U exclusive stuff that wasn't directly related to Nintendo, like Tekken Ball), the PS2 games would be really nice too.

I just want to be able to play my favorite fighting series on PS4...

Peltz

Another disappointing Metal Slug port. Why am I not surprised?

There's still no port of these games that feels right to me. The PSP version on Vita hardware (to reduce loading) is actually the closest we've come to a non-insulting port of these games.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Another disappointing Metal Slug port. Why am I not surprised?

There's still no port of these games that feels right to me. The PSP version on Vita hardware is actually the closest we've come to a non-insulting port of these games.
I would probably still just grab the Anthology for the 4th time (I bought the Wii,PSP physical,PSP Digital before) just for the trophy support because to me at least all of the Trophies are doable except for the 5 Continue one for Metal Slug 6 because that final Boss kills me alot.

ar4757

I love these targeted content strikes. Put Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, and Tekken 5 on the list for the entire tekken series on PS4(since 1-3 are in t5)

Then put megaman x collection on there, and Sega Classics Collectio(and Sonic Mega Collection)

After that? Street Fighter Anthology and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

whoa that'd be great

Coda

Hearing about the input lag is sad considering this game is super reaction and input based. What's the point of playing this if it controls like you're playing in quicksand?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Then put megaman x collection on there, and Sega Classics Collectio(and Sonic Mega Collection)

After that? Street Fighter Anthology and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
I would love a port of The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match, The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match, Samurai Shodown Anthology,and Garou: Mark of the Wolves because while some of these are available on PS3 the Share Play feature on PS4 makes it possible to play these games online.

Chao

I've always wondered:

Is it possible to play any of the metal slug games without continuing thousands of times?

I know I'm not the best player but I have a hard time picturing someone playing this and being able to evade all the shit on the screen and beating the bosses without dying.

HotHamBoy

The PS2 version has input lag, the emulation of that is going to add input lag, AND the HDTV is going to add lag.

This is why I'm passing on KOF 2000, too.

That price, tho.

I've always wondered:

Is it possible to play any of the metal slug games without continuing thousands of times?

I know I'm not the best player but I have a hard time picturing someone playing this and being able to evade all the shit on the screen and beating the bosses without dying.

Sure, though it takes practice. On Steam it looks like 0.9% of Metal Slug 3 owners have the achievement for not continuing once. (I'm personally pretty solid until the last stage, which to be fair is probably the greatest and most epic 2D run&gun level ever made.) Metal Slug 1 shows 1.4%, which makes sense because it's a much shorter and easier game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Also, it sends the wrong message. If we keep buying laggy classics, we will keep getting laggy classics.

HotHamBoy

Also, it sends the wrong message. If we keep buying laggy classics, we will keep getting laggy classics.

If you don't buy laggy classics they'll just stop releasing classics at all. Companies don't make correlations like "the game has lag so sales are down." They think "sales are down because people aren't interested in older games."

antitrop

I just beat Metal Slug 1 and 3 and it seemed like 1 had more input lag than 3, it was weird.

There's definitely noticeable lag, though, no doubt about that.

Top Bottom