• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Anthology coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics next week

No! This is actually bad news.

Ideally, Neo Geo games on PS4 would all get the Last Blade 2 treatment.

Meaning, individual games with scanline options, art galleries, etc. But most importantly, it seems that it's emulated specifically on the PS4, it doesn't seem like it's a port of a port, or an emulation of an emulation.

Peltz

I would probably still just grab the Anthology for the 4th time (I bought the Wii,PSP physical,PSP Digital before) just for the trophy support because to me at least all of the Trophies are doable except for the 5 Continue one for Metal Slug 6 because that final Boss kills me alot.

Not much into trophies, I'm afraid. But more power to those who are. Enjoy!

Tain

If you don't buy laggy classics they'll just stop releasing classics at all. Companies don't make correlations like "the game has lag so sales are down." They think "sales are down because people aren't interested in older games."

Not if people are vocal enough.

firelogic

I can't pay $20 for a PS2 port. It should be a couple months before this one hits the PS sale.

So the consensus is that the digital PSP version running on a Vita is the best one to get? Portability and trophies aside, I just want the best performing game.

Has the PSP version been on sale recently? It's from 2009 and it's still $19.99 on the store.

Much better than either the Wii or the PSP versions.

I just played some Metal Slug X on Wii Virtual Console. Shot a lag test with video. It seems like about five frames of lag, based on a quick informal test (aka when shooting 60fps video of my controller with the screen behind it if I hit a fire or jump button it takes about five frames to react...somewhere around 80 or 90ms). Will try to to a better test soon. Does somebody have a test on the PS4?

The game is really great on the VC at 240p. I like it.

I've always wondered:

Is it possible to play any of the metal slug games without continuing thousands of times?

I know I'm not the best player but I have a hard time picturing someone playing this and being able to evade all the shit on the screen and beating the bosses without dying.

I've gotten through 1, 4, 5, and 7 without using continues. I can get to the final bosses in the others, but said final bosses are all pretty intuitive so I usually trip up there.

Beepos

I had the standalone Metal Slug 3 for Xbox and remember it having no slowdown compared to the arcade version? Fuzzy memory though...

MacTag

Banned
I still don't understand why SNK doesn't just bring and expand Neo Geo Station on PS4? It's not like PS Classics since it never had crossbuy so there's no loss of revenue incentive.

So weird to me that the only real comprehensive attempt at a retro line on PS4 is Arcade Archives after PSP/PS3/Vita did so much with Classics.

Shredderi

I need games like these and Megaman X series on PS4. I played the megaman legacy collection with a friend through shareplay by taking turns on stages and it was a blast. Need more of legendary 2D sidescroller action games on the console!

I don't remember having issues with input lag on Metal 1 -3 on the PS2 anthology.
Than again I bought a tv that was good for those issues.
Do component cables have anything to do with that?
Also I heard that all ps2 games are upscaled to look better for the PS4,
how will this work for metal slug? Has anyone played KOF 2000 that game is currently out on PS4 right?

televator

I don't remember having issues with input lag on Metal 1 -3 on the PS2 anthology.
Than again I bought a tv that was good for those issues.
Do component cables have anything to do with that?
Also I heard that all ps2 games are upscaled to look better for the PS4,
how will this work for metal slug? Has anyone played KOF 2000 that game is currently out on PS4 right?

Component cables have nothing to do with lag. PS2 games on PS4 are not upscaled. They are rendered at higher native resolution. The exception being 2D games, which Metal Slug qualifies as.

Fallen92

So I got the anthology and there is a bit of input lag but it seems to also depend on the game, haven't tested it thoroughly, but I just had a nice surprise when I left my ps3 fightstick connected to my PS4 and when I started up the anthology it recognised it!

Is this normal for ps2 classics on PS4? Either way it's pretty cool.

G-Bus

Banned
Nice. Love me some metal slug.

Will bite depending on price.

All this talk about input lag has me a bit off. I feel like gaf has jaded me on things i don't really understand or care about.

Gradon

I loved the compilation when I was a kid, can't say anything like input lag bothered me back then. I'd like to say the same for today but I'm worried it would be incredibly noticeable and awkward.

Also, is this not being released in Europe? Only US store?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Input seems to only affected when using the stick and not dpad. The character selection is extremely obnoxious. Im on the ps4 too.

Oemenia

Banned
Sorry to bump this thread but is there any way to get some form of screen filtering. Even the emulator on PS3 had the option so this is just baffling.

Also as someone quite new to the franchise, how bad is the input lag of the PS2 version?

To-buy list, just need to see what is with that input lag, is there demo?

Sorry to bump this thread but is there any way to get some form of screen filtering. Even the emulator on PS3 had the option so this is just baffling.

Also as someone quite new to the franchise, how bad is the input lag of the PS2 version?

I've been wanting to know an answer to these question myself :(

I really liked the ps2 version and had no issues.
I'm hoping the ps2 ps4 port has perfect pixels and no auto blurryness filter.
even if the ps2 had input lag (which I didn't noticed it) is the same as the ps4?

Intel_89

How bad is the input lag? Even with the input lag problem, do you think that this is worth 7€ (it's currently on sale in Europe)?

Gitaroo

I just bought it, play MS3 right away, funny how it runs better than code mystic garbage "high quality" port. Beside the weird loading in char select and screen transition, the Anthology of MS3 has minimal slow down, even the PSP version running on Vita has less slow down than the code mystic garbage port, those guys can't even bother to add auto shot in the control option which is present on anthology. I don't understand why SNK keep using them, they should have hire M2. I remember the Xbox 1 version was god like, zero slow down, rumble support etc, that was the definitive version of MS3.

EDIT: anyone know if Metal Slug XX on PSP ever go on sale or what was the lowest price it has ever been? Need that one but current 20 dollar price point is a bit much.

Played 5 yesterday with my friend through share play. It was super fun. 23 continues used. 30 for him. I'm going to look up flawless runs. That last boss is impossible.

KiteGr

I have the Disk for this.
I only wished I could use it on my new consoles instead of dusting off my old ones.

Intel_89

I just bought it, play MS3 right away, funny how it runs better than code mystic garbage "high quality" port. Beside the weird loading in char select and screen transition, the Anthology of MS3 has minimal slow down, even the PSP version running on Vita has less slow down than the code mystic garbage port, those guys can't even bother to add auto shot in the control option which is present on anthology. I don't understand why SNK keep using them, they should have hire M2. I remember the Xbox 1 version was god like, zero slow down, rumble support etc, that was the definitive version of MS3.

EDIT: anyone know if Metal Slug XX on PSP ever go on sale or what was the lowest price it has ever been? Need that one but current 20 dollar price point is a bit much.

Code Mystics being the guys that ported MGS3 standalone, right? Is the input lag really noticeable in this Anthology port? Thanks.

No! This is actually bad news.

Ideally, Neo Geo games on PS4 would all get the Last Blade 2 treatment.

Meaning, individual games with scanline options, art galleries, etc. But most importantly, it seems that it's emulated specifically on the PS4, it doesn't seem like it's a port of a port, or an emulation of an emulation.

I agree, but I think that's a tall order for a lot of these games.

Following the pricing of those releases for one game, the content of this collection would cost like 60-90 dollars compared to the 15-20 it'll probably launch for.

We'd probably only get X and 3 with that kind of treatment. The value just isn't there for most people.(Myself included tbh. I'm not paying 15, 10 or even 5 dollars for a port of Metal Slug 4,or 6 on their own lol)

Peltz

Just tried the original PS2 release of this compilation on my CRT. Yep... lags pretty badly compared to my MVS copies of the same games.

You're probably better off grabbing a PSTV + the PSP version. I never had an issue on my vita.

Intel_89

The PAL PS2 version of this was embarrassing considering how late it came out on the system, gigantic image-crushing borders with no 60Hz option. Input lag on top of input lag.

Hopefully they don't put that shit up on EU PSN.

Should've read this before buying, The game runs incredibly slow in the PAL version on PS4, to the point where I'm actually regreting having spent money on it in the first place, and that rarely happens to me.

So yeah, heads up for anyone interested in this, don't get the PAL version unless it gets patched to 60hz like Dark Cloud and GTA 3, amongst a few others.

steveovig

I'm going to resurrect this thread a bit and ask did this release have online leaderboards? I'm trying to decide between buying this or just buying the separate Switch releases for MS1 and 3, and maybe XX for XB1?

Intel_89

I'm going to resurrect this thread a bit and ask did this release have online leaderboards? I'm trying to decide between buying this or just buying the separate Switch releases for MS1 and 3, and maybe XX for XB1?

Nope, it's pretty much the original version on the PS4 with trophies. If you decide to get it on PS4 be sure to buy it from the US PSN since the game remains unpatched to this day.

steveovig

Nope, it's pretty much the original version on the PS4 with trophies. If you decide to get it on PS4 be sure to buy it from the US PSN since the game remains unpatched to this day.

Thanks, I might just skip it then, and just get one of the releases of 3(360 or Switch) and then maybe XX. I've got 1, 4, and 5 on the PS2 already.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Out of cusiority, how bad did the input lag end up being on this version? I'm not exactly the target market for emulations of emulations, but I'm still interested in the differences between the various ports of Metal Slug out there.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Is it just me or is there PS2 classic output rather lackluster?

Good game. I hope they don't charge as much for this.

It's picking up, they have had Resident Evil CVX, Star Ocean 3, and this in quick succession. Not to mention the Jak and Daxter series is coming up. I imagine they'll have some cutesy announcements for e3.

BruceCLea

Banned
Hey. I redownloaded the game just to see if it got fixed and the input lag seems very minor now.

Wayyyyyy better than when I first bought it. Very enjoyable and playable now... Input lag is not as noticeable.

Also, I'm playing on my PS4 Pro with boost mode on.
I also have a ks8000.

Anybody else wanna check this on their pro, boost mode enabled?

Top Bottom