• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Exodus announced (2018, big open levels, PC/XBO/PS4)

Kayhan

Look to the right. Looks like the dog was eating this guy.

vlcsnap-2017-06-11-18tsyc6.png

vlcsnap-2017-06-11-18oglli.png

Landford

Banned
Seens a direct sequel for Metro 2035

(Spoiler for the Book)

Seens They left Moscow and the world is still shit, but at least the air isnt poisonous anymore.

This is so nice.

Tons of great subtle rendering things occuring.

Transparency caustics from the gas mask glass lens (first game I have ever seen to have coloured transparency shadows) + tessellated snow:
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-0166uwl.png

GPU particles (a series staple at this point):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01w3u4p.png

Lit particles (check out the window illuminating the particles, hard to see if hard shadows can cast through and onto them though):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-018yu0s.png

Global Volumetrics (coming through the opening in the structure on the left):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-011muqc.png

Volumetric Cloud Rendering:
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01olun8.png

Global Illumination (illuminating the inside locally) plus shadows on transparencies (the glass jars on the right):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01qzutp.png

And then hair translucency-lighting and physics (hairworks?):
https://giant.gfycat.com/SpiffyWanAmurminnow.webm

Vibranium

Banned
I hope Artyom talks in this one. It looks like he might be silent again though, I really want to see him play off other characters.

Looking excellent, Metro and the books are great.

People thinking this is a target render are making me smile a bit. The first two games on PC are old and still look stellar. Last Light at the time, four years ago, was like the best looking thing I'd seen on PC.

Alienfan

People thinking this is a target render are making me smile a bit. The first two games on PC are old and still look stellar. Last Light at the time, four years ago, was like the best looking thing I'd seen on PC.

This. Even though it's a vertical slice, Last Light almost looked this good and that came out 4 years ago

Piichan

Banned
Played Metro Redux last year on PS4 and had a blast. Excited for this, but to be honest, I'm a little worried about "open world" being thrown around. I hope the more open-ended approach doesn't mess too much with the tight singleplayer campaign.

mortal

Gold Member
I really enjoyed the first two games. It seems that everything is going open world these days, but it feels like a natural evolution for the series. Looking forward to it.

In-engine is a dangerous word.

It is obviously at some parts (like the beginning and any of the more organic movement sections) just a first person cinematic animation playing back in the real time rendering engine. Not actual player movement. Everything here is very much so believable from a rendering perspective.

Sini

This is so nice.

Tons of great subtle rendering things occuring.

Transparency caustics from the gas mask glass lens (first game I have ever seen to have coloured transparency shadows[/URL]
StarCraft 2 has colored shadows from transparencies too.

Kayhan

Please please please have Day 1 Ranger Mode. None of that DLC bullshit.

No Ranger Mode, no Day 1 buy.

I am going to hold out for that.

Sini

oh shit, really? (actually now that I think about it... I think the bar scenes in the cinematics for the campaign would showcase that pretty well).
I remember very clearly that Protoss Pylons had translucent shadows, but I just booted it up and they actually don't.
Weird.
There's this though:
http://amd-dev.wpengine.netdna-cdn....12/10/S2008-Filion-McNaughton-StarCraftII.pdf
Talking about transparent shadows from page 51.

Aand I found this after some googling:
SC2_Transparentshadow_OFF.png
SC2_TransparentshadowON.png

They must have removed that from Pylons for whatever reason, because minerals still have colored shadows.

Top Bottom