• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Saoh

JSnake said:
kermit.gif

do it properly. MP3 derserves it...

c319f15e1e9a78f4b4dc098ps2.gif

Mr. Spinnington said:
I'd like to add that while checking on a pre-order at GS this morning, there was a gigantic Metroid Prime 3 cardboard stand at the door. It's so close to the entrance I almost knocked it over, which is a good thing since I noticed it!

bu bu but Matt said.... :(

good!

Sharp

Okay the image spamming is making the page a bit unreadable.

Edit: Also stop stealing bandwidth from my Photobucket account you thieves.

PleoMax

Banned
I'm really excited for this game, Echoes was really boring, but this one seems to have a much better pace, and the Wii mote i think is really going to shine in it.

Can't wait.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
EktorPR said:
:lol

...and I was starting to wonder when the fuck this thread would hit three pages

you should change to 100 posts a page! it's a whole new world.

awesome official thread too :D pity about the pal wait.

PleoMax said:
I'm really excited for this game, Echoes was really boring, but this one seems to have a much better pace, and the Wii mote i think is really going to shine in it.
Nintendo Power likes the pacing, as well. I read it in that article I mentioned.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Why why why why WHY does this game come out 3 days after I fly overseas for two weeks?

I wanted to gloat, since otherwise I would have gotten the game a full day before you fools! :(

Pre-ordered and fully paid for just last week. I'll probably buy Super Metroid on VC as well even though I own it and a functioning SNES--just not sure where either is at the moment. Dunno if I want to take the plunge with the original, dunno if I could go back after Zero Mission.

Started playing through Prime today. I just arrived at the Phazon Mines, the most menacing area of any Metroid game to date. The best part has to be the Space Pirate strongholds because it reveals so much backstory. I hope Prime 3 introduces the Pirate logs again.

GamerSoul

evilromero said:
Started playing through Prime today. I just arrived at the Phazon Mines, the most menacing area of any Metroid game to date. The best part has to be the Space Pirate strongholds because it reveals so much backstory. I hope Prime 3 introduces the Pirate logs again.

The Phazon Mines almost made me stop playing Metroid Prime altogether. I was stuck there for about 2 months because i was really under equiped. Luckily, I bought Echoes and got into that for a couple of weeks, which somehow made me better at surviving. :lol

Tristam

I can't freaking wait. This game is going to be godly. Chris Remo has a great preview over at his site:

Chris Remo said:
As much as I expected out of this game, it still utterly blew me away. The controls are dead on, the visuals are great, it has Super Metroid-esque stackable weapons, you can aim freely while locked on... With all that, as well as what appears to be an atmospheric return to top Prime form, just stick it in my veins.

I'm hyped for this game now, but its a while away still in the uk.
Obviously its going in a different direction a bit that previous Primes, but I'm all for a bit more action as long as it doesnt turn into Hunters single player... that was a tradgedy.

vitaflo

Can't wait. Hope they improve on the faults of MP2. I still can't get past that stupid boost ball guardian. Only been working on it for 3 years now. :/

Proc

If I could walk into my bestbuy or whatever, and pick this up with a wii in some sort of bundle contraption, I so would. Fill the channels nintendo please.

haircut

vitaflo said:
Can't wait. Hope they improve on the faults of MP2. I still can't get past that stupid boost ball guardian. Only been working on it for 3 years now. :/
I died 7 times, quit for 3 months or so, came back and beat it on my 2nd try.

There was a thread with tips last week(?). The most important things are not to touch him when he's a reddish puddle (obvious but extremely vital), and try to roll into the energy left by the columns and inglets.

Sagitario

vitaflo said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161373

Make sure you read Red Scarlet replies and watch her videos...

And remember, drink beer while playing... if it's good for tedtropy, it's good for you...

tedtropy said:
Got home, cracked open a beer, downed it, turned on the 'ole Gamecube...and proceeded to kill him the first time out with health to spare.
I'm sure there's a lesson somewhere in there, but eh, I'm too pleased with myself to care.

The boost ball guardian was NOTHING compared to the allmighty fuckhard PAIN that was caused by the spiderball guardian. Holy shit that was annoying.

Nabs

vitaflo said:

it's really not too hard... go in and immediately hit him with a charged light beam. if he turns into a ball, turn into one yourself and stay close to the sides. when he turns into the puddle drop bombs near him, and near his little buddies (for health and ammo). he can't be damaged while he's in ball form, so keep dropping those bombs till he transforms back... and hit him with more charged light beam shots. hit him when he turns to a puddle as well...

i bumped that boost ball guardian thread yesterday, i found it via google.

BrandNew said:
The boost ball guardian was NOTHING compared to the allmighty fuckhard PAIN that was caused by the spiderball guardian. Holy shit that was annoying.

:( i haven't gotten that far yet. i hope it's not too bad.

Dubbs

Banned
to me, metroid prime 3 is one of those games that needed to have its graphics updated because of it's futuristic style and art. i don't know about you but i just cringe when i look at mp3 because it looks just like MP1. And that game came out almost half a decade ago. Sure it will play good but it needed more emphasis on its visuals this time around...and i think THAT is the reason why its not getting the hype it should be getting.

Haunted

Farore said:
And remember, drink beer while playing... if it's good for tedtropy, it's good for you...

:lol :lol I actually beat the Boost Ball Guardian earlier today (my first playthrough of Echoes). I had read parts of that thread and was really afraid of him because of all the 'frustrating' and 'cheap' claims - I managed to kill him on my first try.
not claiming anything, I just got lucky, I guess. (although playing Strikers before probably helped hone my reflexes. :p)

edit: and I wasn't even drunk!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Dubbs said:
to me, metroid prime 3 is one of those games that needed to have its graphics updated because of it's futuristic style and art. i don't know about you but i just cringe when i look at mp3 because it looks just like MP1. And that game came out almost half a decade ago. Sure it will play good but it needed more emphasis on its visuals this time around...and i think THAT is the reason why its not getting the hype it should be getting.

As every single impression has stated and videos have shown, the visuals have improved noticeably over Echoes, which in turn was noticeably better than Prime. Not sure what else people want.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BorkBork said:
As every single impression has stated and videos have shown, the visuals have improved noticeably over Echoes, which in turn was noticeably better than Prime. Not sure what else people want.

People want that nebulous "HD" bulletpoint to be satisfied, regardless. Just saying.

SOLDIER

I was wondering if I could ask a few questions:

1. Where does Prime 3 take place in the series chronology? Is it still before Return of Samus (just like the previous two primes)?

2. Are they ever going to continue the story from Fusion? I've been curious what happens next in the series with Samus having a non-removable suit and a government conspiracy going on with the metroids. These "prequels" are getting tiring, honestly.

3. Does Prime 3 have widescreen support?

4. I'm trying to finish Echoes before Prime 3 arrives. I recently got the power bomb and am trying to figure out where to go next. How much more do I have to go?

firex

I'm ambivalent about this one... at least it sounds like they finally got the controls and combat right, but it could wind up being pretty bland. Either way I just finished replaying Metroid Fusion, and now I'm playing Zero Mission on hard. Then I guess in a little over a week I'll replay Super Metroid.

kizmah

Polari said:
Seems so. The videos are linked in the OP though, so no big deal.

I just saw the videos but I still would like to have that channel. Like the wait for the actual game isn't bad enough.

Dubbs

Banned
BorkBork said:

pssh, slight improvements homey.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Dubbs said:
pssh, slight improvements homey.

Well considering that the Wii itself is a slight improvement over the Gamecube graphically and the fact that the Prime games were some of the best looking games on the system, there really isn't much more they can do.

Frillen

Someone over at Retro Studios is going to get killed if they make this like a Wii version of Hunters. The sad thing is that it actually DOES look like a Wii version of Hunters.

1. It has Hunters (and they are represented in the same way as in MP:Hunters)
2. Different planets
3. The videos uptil now shows lots of shooting, but not so much puzzles & exploring

I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but I couldn't stand Hunters on the DS. It was such a huge disappointment for me. So if Retro is making the third and final Prime game just like the DS version, I'm going to be a sad guy :p

Zeed

Banned
Frillen said:
I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but I couldn't stand Hunters on the DS.
Hunters gets a lot of shit, but what exactly was so horrible about it? Okay, the case can be made that it's not "Metroid", but not being a Metroid elitist myself, that didn't bother me at all. Objectively it's a thoroughly enjoyable DS game, and probably the best handheld shooter ever.

Top Bottom