• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Xenoboy

So, I'm I've recently gotten the Power Bomb in Echoes and all I can say is that I don't get the heat it gets.
The Dark/Light ammo system works just fine. The only annoying this is that you have to open the same doors with it all the time.
The bosses are such a huge improvement,
screw Grapple Guardian though
Can't forget
Sanctuary forest either
The only thing I dislike is that it's hard to navigate through some places.

Verger

Banned
Pretty much finished with Corruption. Died on the last boss but figure I can give my overall impressions anyway.

The Good

The Environment Art and aesthetics - Retro still has simply the best talent in terms of crafting unique and amazing looking worlds. Bryyo, Elysia, The Homeworld, The Valhalla and Phaaze are amazing locales.

Creature/Machine Design - It's what makes Metroid, and especially the Prime series unique. Their artists were able to create some great Creatures and Machines that populate the worlds, both enemy and ambient. The Reptilicus and Moegnar Golems on Bryyo, the Steam Machines (lol) and drones of Elysia, and the otherworldly Phazon/Metroid creatures. Even Hunters like Rundas and Ghor looked pretty cool.

The Controls - The Wii pointer controls were definitely a major improvement from the original gamepad controls. Very intuitive and it made aiming and firing at multiple targets very easy. The interactions you could do, like welding, pulling/pushing levers and pressing buttons were also very cool I thought. Using the nunchuk to launch and retract the grapple beam was also brilliant.

The Average

The Level Design - Especially coming after Prime 2's superb design. Corruptions level design is definitely a downgrade from those highs. The primary problem of course is the intense segmentation of the levels into small bits and pieces, and while the connections within those areas are well made and done, the size just hobbles the design. In addition, a lot of the areas, particularly on Bryyo are extremely linear or simplistic in terms of layout. Another thing that sort of bothered me was that in the Map, the names of the rooms seemed awfully generic sounding compared to the more creative names that were used in previous games (most were often "passage to this room" or "main room" or something). Still some areas like the Valhalla and the Homeworld make good use of their layout.

Corruption/Hypermode - This gameplay mechanic, the idea of linking Samus' life to her power via Phazon definitely sounds more interesting on paper/concept than in execution. Hypermode, while making the player consider their energy more carefully when using this power, is not really well balanced and can either be too much firepower or too little energy. In addition, because of this, Energy Tanks are now often easily found and received by the player making regular gameplay often much easier than Prime and especially Echoes. Linking Hypermode to defeating certain Bosses was also kind of a misfire in terms of execution.

The Bosses - Honestly though, I don't think any Prime game has "great bosses" across the board. Prime 1's bosses weren't too memorable outside the Final two. Echoes had Quadraxis which was the pinnacle of Boss design, but super lame ones like the Alpha Blogg and Chykka. Prime 3 similarly has good and bad ones. The Good are ones like Meta Ridley, all three Hunters Rundas, Ghor and especially Gandrayda who is definitely one of the best bosses in the series, and
Dark Samus/AuroraBrain
. The Leviathan guardians however were disappointing, Moegnar was just frustrating, Helios was boring and Omega was a retread of a previous games boss, though at least had you use new abilities to fight him.

The Bad

The Ship - The ship mechanic definitely is one of those things that sounds great on paper and in concept but just really fell flat in execution, or rather, just felt totally unnecessary, and in turn is responsible for the very limited scope of the level design upon relying on it. The ship's only use was just to ferry Samus from place to place, and anything else that it could do was just window dressing, as I doubt many called upon it's air-strike capabilities in game despite the ammo being part of pick-ups. It is definitely something that needs serious rethink or to be scrapped if a sequel is ever done. I'm not against Samus visiting multiple worlds, but they need to find a better way to streamline the process. Entering a ship I think was an extra layer of UX that was unnecessary.

Humanoid Character design - Retro's artists have one big black eye on their record, and that's their creativity and competency modeling human and humanoid characters. Everyone recoiled at Samus zero suit appearance at the special Echoes finale, and here in Corruption, while they've improved her a bit, it's not by much. In addition, other human characters, like Admiral Dane and the human mechanics/doctors/scientists just look terrible, as well as Gandrayda's humanoid face. They definitely need a better human character modeler in the future that's for sure. Even Dark Samus, while not human, suffered as her new "improved" form doesn't look like it compared to her more alien and unique form in Echoes, where as here she just looks like a generic "dark black/blue" suit of Samus (though I guess that's intentional as when Samus gets "corrupted" she turns into DS).

The Dialog-Cutscenes - Certainly you will not find anything as bad as the stuff in Other M, however, the cutscenes in this game that particularly involve Dialog (such as conversing with the Hunters or Dane) are very badly choreographed and animated. The characters look so wooden and stilted. In addition, several cutscenes definitely give off the feel of "trying to look cool" a bit too much or trying to copy other games. I think most players preferred how things were handled in Prime 1 and 2 with these sorts of scenes kept to a very bare minimum.

The Hint/Guide/Aurora System - I think everyone agrees that this game clearly "hand-holds" the player far far more than the previous 2 games. Aurora constantly is advising you on where to go next and what to do. It becomes annoying at a certain point and it definitely felt overdone. Contrast this to U-Mos in Echoes who only had to give you the basics of where to go and let you figure out the rest.

The Federation - It is understandable that Retro obviously was trying to make Samus part of the "big picture" with Corruption since this was supposed to be the "big epic showdown" and thus wanted her to interact with The Federation quite a bit. Unfortunately this detracts from what makes Metroid "unique". The sense of isolation is lost in lots of places and most agree that in the places where the Federation is kept out of sight is when things look good. The final assault by Samus and "keeping the squad alive" to the Homeworld Leviathan just felt so out of place.

The Scanning - In this case, I felt the scanning was just a letdown compared to previous games in terms of what was there and what was available, particularly anything that was not Lore-related. Very few pieces of architecture were scannable and lots of stuff were also combined into one generic scan. It just felt like they really held back compared to previous games and that was disappointing.

So yeah, overall I did enjoy the game, but there definitely were a lot of missteps they made trying to likely make the game more "appealing" to a wider audience. Still a great game and a good end to the trilogy.

I'm thinking of giving Echos another go. I haven't touched it since getting frustrated with it.

Could somebody confirm for me that Echos does in fact have the help icon that appears on your map after so long? Because I'm completely lost in Echos and have no idea where to go, yet it doesn't look like I'm getting that help icon (like the "incoming signal" that happened in MP1).

I do have hints enabled under the option menu.

Perhaps I just haven't been lost for a long enough time yet for the game to have mercy on me. =/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hints take longer than Prime 1. That's a good thing, since it actually gives you time to explore and do stuff before telling you what to do. Prime 1 (and 3) are way too quick to basically "give away" what you are supposed to do next.

dLMN8R

The hint system is basically broken in Prime 3.

I played through 1, 2, and most of 3 without the hint system on. But then in Prime 3 the NPCs kept saying "come meet me here!" or "go there!" or "go to these three places, I've marked them on your map!" in cutscenes.

But then...nothing showed up on the map. Not even the slightest hint.

So in Prime 3 it was stupidly all or nothing. Either you keep the hint system off and have literally no clue about where you're supposed to go because there are no environmental clues or scanned lore or anything telling you. Or you turn on the hint system and have it hold your hand to every single place.

Hints take longer than Prime 1. That's a good thing, since it actually gives you time to explore and do stuff before telling you what to do. Prime 1 (and 3) are way too quick to basically "give away" what you are supposed to do next.

Okay, so it is there, it just takes longer than in MP1. That's all I needed to know. Thanks.

after i stopped playing prime 2 in february since life got in the way, i finally came back to it and finished it today. Really great game, i also got fusion because of the nintendo club rewards, so i look forward to playing prime 3 and fusion om the following days.

I don't know which game in this series i like more though, all of them are really great and i don't want to stop playing.

Xenoboy

I recently finished Echoes and I think it's better than the 1st one. The only inferior part for me was navigating, it could be a bit annoying.

zsidane

I've been spending quality time with Echoes since I never played it before, and I'm amazed at how the game looks to this date!!!

Can't wait to finish it and finally finish MP3

I recently finished Echoes and I think it's better than the 1st one. The only inferior part for me was navigating, it could be a bit annoying.

And the two times you have to backtrack. If it was more often I wouldn't mind but they get you used to not backtracking and then at two certain points you have to, without any hint
For the missile seeker and the power bombs

Just finished metroid prime 3 with 100% pickups today. Now wii u needs zero mission to get all the metroid games that i really love. Can't wait for the next entry in this incredible series, and if retro comes around to make a new one, i will be there day one too!

just a fantastic trio of games, i'm kind of sad to have finished this trilogy, had such a blast this year playing through them.

moolamb

So I just finished Metroid Prime, my hands are incredibly sore. It says my play time was 15 hours, but I could swear it felt more like 40. Maybe I shouldn't have binged it.

I have a question for you guys - should I play Prime 2 or Prime 3 next? I know I have very limited time coming up and I will only really be able to play one game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Prime, but it did drain me towards the end when I started backtracking to and fro for tiny little items. I know frustration should be a part of the game but it was a little too much. I've read that Prime 2 is more of the same but better, so that's why I'm thinking of skipping 2 and going to 3. Maybe play 2 when I'm less fatigued.

What do you guys think?

dLMN8R

So I just finished Metroid Prime, my hands are incredibly sore. It says my play time was 15 hours, but I could swear it felt more like 40. Maybe I shouldn't have binged it.

I have a question for you guys - should I play Prime 2 or Prime 3 next? I know I have very limited time coming up and I will only really be able to play one game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Prime, but it did drain me towards the end when I started backtracking to and fro for tiny little items. I know frustration should be a part of the game but it was a little too much. I've read that Prime 2 is more of the same but better, so that's why I'm thinking of skipping 2 and going to 3. Maybe play 2 when I'm less fatigued.

What do you guys think?

Check out my posts in the last couple of pages.

The more time I put between me and Prime 3, the easier it is for me to recommend skipping it entirely.

It was not just a disappointing sequel to 1 and 2, but I strongly believe it to be an awful game in its own right.

There isn't really anything memorable about it to me except for the parts that thoroughly annoyed and disappointed me.

daedalius

The more time I put between me and Prime 3, the easier it is for me to recommend skipping it entirely.

It was not just a disappointing sequel to 1 and 2, but I strongly believe it to be an awful game in its own right.

There isn't really anything memorable about it to me except for the parts that thoroughly annoyed and disappointed me.

For another perspective

I am really enjoying going through Prime 3 currently. Don't skip it.

Its pretty hand-holdy, but I think you can actually turn that off.

Impala26

For another perspective

But... but...

MP2 is like the Dark Souls of modern Nintendo games. It's fantastic--difficult but satisfying.
Obviously it's not actually as difficult as Dark Souls, but definitely difficult for a Nintendo game.

moolamb

Thanks for the responses guys!

I read your posts but were you referring to Prime 2 or Prime 3? Seems like you had a lot more negative for Prime 2. I guess I'm looking for something a little different/fresher than Prime 1, so maybe it's worth skipping 2 for now. But I do want to do things chronologically... Argh decisions!

For another perspective

Is it your first time going through it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

What do you guys think?

It honestly sounds like Prime 3 might be more appealing to you. Prime 2 has significantly more backtracking and holds your hand less in the process. It is basically the Prime 1 formula pushed to its limit.

Prime 3 is overall more straightforward, but it still features quite a bit of backtracking.

dLMN8R

I read your posts but were you referring to Prime 2 or Prime 3? Seems like you had a lot more negative for Prime 2. I guess I'm looking for something a little different/fresher than Prime 1, so maybe it's worth skipping 2 for now. But I do want to do things chronologically... Argh decisions!

My negativity on Prime 2 was just about the back-tracking, but I also had the Hint mode turned off cause I didn't realize it existed. That would've helped substantially. All in all though, Prime 2 is an excellent game I thoroughly enjoyed, which I described in these posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152304029&postcount=3214
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152806568&postcount=3285

Prime 3, though....the entire time I just kept waiting for something interesting to happen. Instead, I had to slog through an hour of the most amateurish storytelling / cutscenes ever, then a bunch of completely linear "exploration", a mostly lack of interesting powerups, a borked hint mode, bosses which were universally frustrating, and a set of final sequences that completely ruined what was left of it for me.

daedalius

But... but...

MP2 is like the Dark Souls of modern Nintendo games. It's fantastic--difficult but satisfying.
Obviously it's not actually as difficult as Dark Souls, but definitely difficult for a Nintendo game.

What? I love MP2. It is amazing, and really quite difficult on veteran.

I was just saying I also like MP3!

Thanks for the responses guys!

Is it your first time going through it?

No, I 100%'d it when it originally came out on Wii.

Chronology isn't terribly important in the prime trilogy, there are a few name drop in 3 about 2, but that's about it.

So this would be my 2nd playthrough. The art direction and environments are quite gorgeous. Dat Bryyo!

It is definitely more straightforward than the other 2, but some people may see that as a plus instead of a minus. The visuals are most assuredly superior in almost every way. I never found any of the bosses to be frustrating; I'd rather they were more difficult so I didn't beat them on the first try every time.

The voiceover is pretty bad tho. The "story" isn't really anything to write home about, but I thought it was mostly fine.

moolamb

Thanks for the impressions guys.

I think I am going to work through it chronologically and stay on Prime 2. With hint mode ON :) (I am not quite that hardcore/patient!)

Prime 3 will be the icing on the cake down the track.

Chuckpebble

Pretty much finished with Corruption. Died on the last boss but figure I can give my overall impressions anyway.

This was pretty thorough and accurate. My biggest gripe with the game is that some of the character animation during the cutscenes just makes me cringe. Like near the end when Samus lands in the bottom of the final area. Almost makes me want to build and rig my own Samus model and animate it correctly.

On the whole though, I still remember the overall experience quite fondly.

Golnei

Speaking of Corruption's character animation and design, I was just looking at some of the concept art, and the degree to which Gandrayda's initial designs outclass the finalised one is notable.

tumblr_mp10p8agaN1s6kc8eo2_540.png

In particular, the layered mask and shattered mannequin face concepts are so much more interesting than what the released game used, and the porous, abstract body shape shown on the left could have also looked great in motion. If they had played up the creepy doll aspect overall, the uncanny effect of the game's human models may have even worked in her favour...

Rodin

The Average

The Level Design - Especially coming after Prime 2's superb design. Corruptions level design is definitely a downgrade from those highs. The primary problem of course is the intense segmentation of the levels into small bits and pieces, and while the connections within those areas are well made and done, the size just hobbles the design. In addition, a lot of the areas, particularly on Bryyo are extremely linear or simplistic in terms of layout. Another thing that sort of bothered me was that in the Map, the names of the rooms seemed awfully generic sounding compared to the more creative names that were used in previous games (most were often "passage to this room" or "main room" or something). Still some areas like the Valhalla and the Homeworld make good use of their layout.
While it's definitely not wrong to say that Prime 2's design was better, calling Corruption's level design "average" is a bit unfair. It's still well above 90% of the games out there, especially when you consider locations like
Elysia and the Pirates Homeworld
are in the game.

I'm sorry, but no one should ever listen to this advice. You didn't like it and it's fine, but i think other people should try it and decide for themselves.

TheMoon

I'm sorry, but no one should ever listen to this advice. You didn't like it and it's fine, but i think other people should try it and decide for themselves.

Exactly. This isn't some random garbage Sonic Boom game you can tell people to skip, holy cow.

dLMN8R

It's great that you disagree with my opinions, but it's still my own personal recommendation given my own personal experiences.

I grew up with Metroid. I played Super Metroid to completion probably over 10 times on SNES and then even more since on emulators. I've played all the 2D handheld games multiple times. I consider the first Metroid Prime to be one of my favorite games ever in how it so perfectly translated the series into 3D. Metroid Prime 2 has some frustrating moments but overall I consider it to be right up there with most of the other games.

Prime 3....was just so incredibly disappointing to me that in retrospect I literally wish I never played it. Whether because of the hackneyed story which squandered nearly 2 decades of environmental storytelling, or because of the linearity which just didn't feel like Metroid at all, or the frustrating boss fights which weren't enjoyable at all to me, and other things I've mentioned.

Between Prime 3 and Metroid Other M I have no confidence anymore in this series which for decades beforehand was unquestionably my favorite game series ever.

I get that people disagree with me. But I wish that others like me shared their opinions first before I wasted 15-20 hours playing it, instead of groupthink like this thread where people are telling me that my opinions are wrong.

Rodin

instead of groupthink like this thread where people are telling me that my opinions are wrong.
I never did or said such a thing. This is what i said
You didn't like it and it's fine, but i think other people should try it and decide for themselves.
and i actually share a lot of the history and feelings you have with the Metroid saga. I respect your opinion about Corruption, but you shouldn't tell people not to play a universally acclaimed game like this one... they'll play it and decide for themselves if they like it or not. That's all i'm saying.

daedalius

It's great that you disagree with my opinions, but it's still my own personal recommendation given my own personal experiences.

I grew up with Metroid. I played Super Metroid to completion probably over 10 times on SNES and then even more since on emulators. I've played all the 2D handheld games multiple times. I consider the first Metroid Prime to be one of my favorite games ever in how it so perfectly translated the series into 3D. Metroid Prime 2 has some frustrating moments but overall I consider it to be right up there with most of the other games.

Prime 3....was just so incredibly disappointing to me that in retrospect I literally wish I never played it. Whether because of the hackneyed story which squandered nearly 2 decades of environmental storytelling, or because of the linearity which just didn't feel like Metroid at all, or the frustrating boss fights which weren't enjoyable at all to me, and other things I've mentioned.

Between Prime 3 and Metroid Other M I have no confidence anymore in this series which for decades beforehand was unquestionably my favorite game series ever.

I get that people disagree with me. But I wish that others like me shared their opinions first before I wasted 15-20 hours playing it, instead of groupthink like this thread where people are telling me that my opinions are wrong.

git gud? Boss fights on Prime 2 were way harder.

I mean, it was the same team that brought you Prime and 2; they just decided to go in a different direction.

Also groupthink? Really? First time I've seen someone getting salty about Metroid Prime.

dLMN8R

I never had a problem with Prime 2's boss fights in the same way I did Prime 3. And Prime 3's weren't difficult, they were just overly long and annoying. Especially the final boss fights, ugh.

Welp beat the trilogy once again. Yup still think 3 was the best followed by 2.

One is more nostalgia and it's flaws are very apparent after multiple playthrough. From bad bosses to terrible suit upgrades, Exploration doesn't pay off enough. Atmosphere is alright but the other 2 do it so much bette.

How Much better would the game be with the hud turned off?

Verger

Banned
This was pretty thorough and accurate. My biggest gripe with the game is that some of the character animation during the cutscenes just makes me cringe. Like near the end when Samus lands in the bottom of the final area. Almost makes me want to build and rig my own Samus model and animate it correctly.

On the whole though, I still remember the overall experience quite fondly.
Yeah Retro's ability to do "cinematic" cutscenes probably wasn't the best back then. I think their strong suit was more simple cutscenes and ambient shots. There's definitely a lot of issues with the quality of those scenes, though it may mostly be hindsight since back then it wasn't that big a deal.
Speaking of Corruption's character animation and design, I was just looking at some of the concept art, and the degree to which Gandrayda's initial designs outclass the finalised one is notable.

tumblr_mp10p8agaN1s6kc8eo2_540.png

In particular, the layered mask and shattered mannequin face concepts are so much more interesting than what the released game used, and the porous, abstract body shape shown on the left could have also looked great in motion. If they had played up the creepy doll aspect overall, the uncanny effect of the game's human models may have even worked in her favour...
Wow, yeah those concept pieces look far more interesting and unique than what her final form came out to be. Not that her entire design is bad, but the face part definitely was her worst feature of what was realized in the game.
While it's definitely not wrong to say that Prime 2's design was better, calling Corruption's level design "average" is a bit unfair. It's still well above 90% of the games out there, especially when you consider locations like
Elysia and the Pirates Homeworld
are in the game.
Well, of course compared to other games it's not "Average". My "ratings" were more in comparison to the rest of the Prime Trilogy. The level design in Corruption is sadly a bit substandard compared to the previous games, and I believe it was due to the over segmentation of the game worlds due to the ship mechanic.

Imagine a Prime game with the size of a game like The Witcher 3. It's sad that I really doubt Retro will ever be able to do something like that (there's no way Retro will ever be granted the money or manpower to create such a high budget game by Nintendo)

mstevens

Played Prime 1+2 and about 30% of Prime 3 in a big marathon until burning out a little and taking a break. Just getting back into it and am approaching Helios. I was a little worried starting back up because I thought I might not be able to jump right back in, but haven't had too many problems so far. These games are incredible.

Kangi

Bought this when it was discounted, but didn't get far through Prime before stopping. Came back to it and finished it, and am now partway through Prime 2. Definitely fantastic, though not without its frustrations. The Ice Shriekbat situation comes to mind.

I can see why "Which is better, Super Metroid or Metroid Prime?" is such a common dilemma. I definitely prefer Prime's missle expansion hunt over Super's "hey shoot that random ceiling tile" method, but prefer Super's map navigation over my thirty-odd trips through Magmoor Caverns. Still, that they're so comparable despite the transition to 3D is extremely impressive.

Having lacked a capable PC and Gamecube for several years now, my brand new WiiU has allowed me to try Metroid Prime with the pointer controls. First- holy fuck it's been years since I've played Prime and it's still the 11/10 game I remember and second- I actually don't hate the Wii style controls at all. Thanks to the ultrafine OP, I have them set just the way Prime 1 trained me and.... and the 16:9 is gorgeous. The 60fps and little to no load times... Oh it's just beautiful.

Man. So so so happy to have this, Zero Mission, Fusion, and Super all on the same machine. I'm kinda trippng lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just beat metroid prime for the first time via Dolphin. On a damn ps3 controller no less.

That game was fantastic. Nothing else to say, really.

Indeed. I would say 6th gen in general is the best. Whether you had a Gamecube, PS2, XBOX, or even a freakin' Dreamcast you had access to phenomenal games. I don't think we will see an era like that again. My playthrough of Metroid Prime just further validated this belief.

Play Prime 2 and 3 now and be even more amazed

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Play Prime 2 and 3 now and be even more amazed

I doubt many people prefer Prime 2 to 1 after a single playthrough. It took me a few playthroughs to truly respect everything it does so well - I didn't even finish when I first got it. These days I'll say it's the best of the trilogy, but I also fully understand why people would say Prime 1 is better.

Feel like 3 is easily the weakest of the bunch, but being the weakest of three great games isn't much of an insult.

I doubt many people prefer Prime 2 to 1 after a single playthrough. It took me a few playthroughs to truly respect everything it does so well - I didn't even finish when I first got it. These days I'll say it's the best of the trilogy, but I also fully understand why people would say Prime 1 is better.

Feel like 3 is easily the weakest of the bunch, but being the weakest of three great games isn't much of an insult.

Nah, once you really get into prime 2 and 3s level designs and boss designs, prime 1 is just hard to get back into. Rose tinted glasses off.

Though Prime 1 was a bit less linear

Top Bottom