• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Tobe

I guess I'm gonna be able to finally play mp3. When i was i kid i had the choice of metroid or the dk racing game on wii. Mistakes were made.

Such a good deal I want to buy it even though I already have the disc. Only reason I'm holding back is I don't want to lose the storage space on my Wii U.

Anfony O

Everyone who owns a wii u has an obligation to play prime. I played it one year ago and it's safe to say the game is

1) Phenomenal

And more importantly

2) A game that that stands the test of time. Honestly not for a second did I feel am I playing a game from 2004.

rekameohs

Banned
Everyone who owns a wii u has an obligation to play prime. I played it one year ago and it's safe to say the game is

1) Phenomenal

And more importantly

2) A game that that stands the test of time. Honestly not for a second did I feel am I playing a game from 2004.
Well, you shouldn't be believing that you are.

Since it's from 2002.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I like the lock-on free aim quite a bit. Definitely play around with it a bit, I think it's pros far outweigh the cons. That one boss you're talking about, Hive Mecha, is definitely way more annoying with Wii controls, and it's right at the start of MP1, but after that, free aim is awesome.

I'm actually talking about that beetle that likes to jump around and charge at you. But for sure, it's worth trying out. Just don't be afraid to turn it off, since it changes the dynamics of a lot of fights. In Prime 3 you have actual reason to aim beyond your lock on point, enemies may have multiple targets. In Prime 1 and 2, though, you always just want your shots to hit the center of the lock.

Jinto

Totally buying this even though I already own the physical copy and the GC games. I've never played any of them though. :/

Dumb question, but do all 3 games have a widescreen mode? If so, how does the Wii U handle virtual console games that support widescreen?

Reminds me of the EGM review (IIRC) that said something along the lines of "Metroid Prime is the best game from 10 years in the future that somehow traveled back in time."

They were right.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Metroid Prime 1 is probably my favorite game of all time. It's magic. Lightning in a bottle that was captured a second and almost third time. I don't think the world deserves a game that special.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And yes, this might be the most high-quality compilation of games in the history of gaming, perhaps only equaled by Mario All Stars + World. You guys who haven't played them are in for a TREAT.

Burny

I already have this on retail with steel box and all. Is it bad I want to double this game again for $10 digital? I mean I love this series lol. Shoot, I pay for Xenoblade again at $20 even though I'm playing it right now.

I mean $10 for three games is highway robbery for a Nintendo game even.

Eh, double dipping dir 10$? That's nothing, really. Same way I'll show my support for Metroid.

Think about the people pledging hundreds of dollars to Star Citizen, just because they find the concept so damn enticing. Sometimes all they get at this point is a guaranteed ship once the game is released. Some of those ships aren't even implemented, yet. Especially the very expensive ones.

Verger

Banned
Whipped up this handy metacritic guide to the OT
AEXTiDP.jpg

AdanVC

Is not up yet, right? Just checked the eChop-chop and nothing. This is an important release, they should have made a midnight release bu.

Edit: Dat Metacritic scoreeeeeeeeee holyyy shit Metroid Prime at 97!!

mstevens

I've had this sitting on my shelf (in a steel book) for almost a year and haven't touched it yet. It's just so daunting! I've never played any of them.

Need a few weeks off so I can dive in.

I still haven't beaten Prime 1. I had that game first found it too tough at the last section before the end of the game. Then I got Prime 2 on gamecube when it came out played it like crazy. Got stuck at the swamp place put it down for a few weeks forgot where I was then I finally figured it out how to progress to the boss area. Ended up 100% that then once Prime 3 came out I 100% that easily as well.

To this day I have not beaten Prime 1. I got to the last part again with collecting things but I stop and then somehow lose my save probably due to my brother erasing it.

Even though Prime 2 was more collection heavy.

I really need to go back and beat it.

DooD1234

Is not up yet, right? Just checked the eChop-chop and nothing. This is an important release, they should have made a midnight release bu.
While not officially considered a VC titles, most likely it'll come up on 12 p.m. EST so you have about 10 more hours.

Zolbrod

You can purchase digital codes for many eShop releases through Nintendo's website.

Oh wow, I seriously did not know that.
I live in Japan and I don't think Nintendo has that option over here.

But these Wii rereleases can't be bought on their website though, right?

SirNinja

A little PSA for everyone getting this tomorrow:

Prime Trilogy comes with a huge Extras section where you can spend various types of "credits" (badges earned by doing stuff in the Prime games) to unlock things. One type of credit, however, cannot be earned ever since the game's online/social component was shut down in 2013.

I recommend going here and using the save that has 15 Friend Credits on all the otherwise-empty save files. That makes it possible to unlock all the content in MPT, including the screenshot tool, dioramas, and the cosmetic stuff for Samus's ship in Corruption.

Other than that, enjoy! This is likely the best ten bucks you'll spend in a long time.

Lord Phol

Oh cool, didn't expect an OT!
Definetly picking this up, hope I can play through them all without getting fatigued.

I'm not sure about anywhere else, but they can be purchased in NA via Nintendo's site, yes.

Garcian

A little PSA for everyone getting this tomorrow:

Prime Trilogy comes with a huge Extras section where you can spend various types of "credits" (badges earned by doing stuff in the Prime games) to unlock things. One type of credit, however, cannot be earned ever since the game's online/social component was shut down in 2013.

I recommend going here and using the save that has 15 Friend Credits on all the otherwise-empty save files. That makes it possible to unlock all the content in MPT, including the screenshot tool, dioramas, and the cosmetic stuff for Samus's ship in Corruption.

Other than that, enjoy! This is likely the best ten bucks you'll spend in a long time.

Apologies for the stupid question, but where do I put that save file once I've downloaded it?

Crayolan

So many people who own the game but haven't played it, smh. Find the time to play it. Trust me, the game won't take long to grab you, or at least it didn't for me. Just stepping onto Tallon IV for the first time is an experience in itself.

Yes, they can.

Fantastic OT, and great idea too! This is a ridiculously good price for the best games ever.

Only considering double dipping on digital because it looks like it would run from the Wii U rather than emulated Wii menu. Is that true?

So many people who own the game but haven't played it, smh. Find the time to play it. Trust me, the game won't take long to grab you, or at least it didn't for me. Just stepping onto Tallon IV for the first time is an experience in itself.

Very first thing I do once I land on Tallon IV is look up.

and cry.

Never played any of these games, although I've been trying to get ahold of a physical copy of the trilogy for over a year without success (barring ridiculously expensive options). Nintendo announcing this on the eShop was quite a nice surprise. Will buy now, and play in a few weeks when I have some more time.

Really nice OP btw!

random25

Fantastic OT, and great idea too! This is a ridiculously good price for the best games ever.

Only considering double dipping on digital because it looks like it would run from the Wii U rather than emulated Wii menu. Is that true?

Yup. It is still emulated Wii but rather than going to the Wii mode, it can be straight up booted from the Wii U mode, so you avoid all the hassles.

Vena

Reminds me of the EGM review (IIRC) that said something along the lines of "Metroid Prime is the best game from 10 years in the future that somehow traveled back in time."

They were right.

You mean this?

A few words of warning before you think about playing Metroid Prime: You're going to lose sleep for a couple weeks. Your garbage will not get taken out. The kitty litter won't get changed. You may even lose your appetite when it's time to put the controller down for meals, but that's OK, because the dishes wouldn't get done anyway. A game this incredible doesn't wait for when you have some free time--it hooks right into your brain and won't let go, sucking your life away just like the infamous Metroid alien parasites themselves. You just will not want to stop playing. So after a couple weeks, you're going to be one tired, hungry, sorry-lookin' (and possibly a bit smelly) mofo, but you'll be smilin' ear to ear like you just won the lottery and the Super Bowl on the same day. Metroid Prime is that good.

As it did with Zelda and Mario before it, Nintendo (with its partners at Retro Studios) has taken one of the most beloved franchises of all time (Super Metroid was Number 1 on EGM's own top 100 games list last year) and brought it into full 3D in a way that is faithful to the games before it and a stunningly original experience.

Prime is definitely not your typical first-person shooter; it's about platform-jumping your way through a vast world; exploring; solving puzzles; and locating new weapons, power-ups, and secrets along the way. But when it does come time to exchange fire with the bad guys, Prime is among the very best. You need to constantly think in order to avoid the strengths and take advantage of the weaknesses of the different enemies, from the truly frightening boss monsters down to the tiny alien flies. Combat is a deeply satisfying mix of reflexes, and the kind of strategic thinking that requires you to ask: Which gun will inflict the most damage, or any damage at all? Should I wear a different visor to better see what I'm shooting at? Is that enemy vulnerable only from the back? Do I need to wait until my foe opens its mouth or charges right at me or retracts its spikes? Am I better off rolling into a ball and getting the hell out of town?

It's so damn friendly, too--the game eases you into the action like a doting mother, teaching you about all your controls within the game, then slowly adding abilities, tougher enemies, and new areas to sustain an impossibly high level of excitement from the opening scene until the final credits roll. Before you have a chance to get stuck, a helpful report always comes in detailing where you need to go next. It never tells you how to get there or what to do once you arrive--it just gives you the location of the next major event. (Hardcore purists can turn this hint system off in the Options menu.) And along with an ingenious and indispensable 3D map, you can make your way through the complex interwoven levels with minimal hassle.

And not only does it play great but, oh my, does it ever look good doing it. No game has ever approached the level of graphical detail found in Prime. On any system. Ever. Period. Every chamber, every hallway, every single room is unique and fully fleshed out. No repeat or cookie-cutter tools were used here. A breathtakingly exotic yet eerily believable alien world has been created as your giant playground to explore. In terms of style and technical ability, Prime is an absolute thrill just to look at.

Oh, and you'll want to crank your stereo. Whether it's screeching monsters, the whir of your gun charging, or the fizz of sparks on a busted computer, the effects are excellent across the board. Along with great remixes of old Metroid tracks and new haunting favorites you'll find yourself humming, Prime's audio is more than just good--it demands, and keeps, your attention.

Our only real complaint is with one aspect of the controls. The creators were trying to simplify things when they decided to use one button for looking up and down and another for strafing side to side, but actually, this setup often becomes more complicated and time consuming than the standard practice of using the second analog stick for both tasks. The excellent lock-on tracking system and otherwise great button layout minimizes most problems, but now and then, a particularly stressful fight or steep platform path will make you wish Nintendo had implemented the dual-stick setup--or at least included the option. To be fair, the scheme here does work better for simple jumping maneuvers, but a button to lock auto-centering on and off would have given all the benefits, and much less of the finger fatigue, of constantly holding in the shoulder buttons.

Ordinarily, we would penalize a game for that sort of thing, but the rest of Prime is so above-and-beyond the quality we all expect from even triple-A titles that its strengths more than make up for its one debatable weakness. Get this game--even if you have to buy a GameCube to play it.

The intense yet strategic combat of Halo. The ingenious level design and devious puzzles of Zelda's best dungeons. The intriguing story, moody atmosphere, and spooky thrills of Resident Evil. The new Metroid stands with the very best of modern games in almost every important respect. Well, except sound and graphics, where Prime surpasses them all. The amount of time, skill, and dedication that obviously went into crafting and polishing this game just completely blows my mind. Videogames, regardless of what system they are for, just aren't supposed to sound this good, look this detailed, be this large in scope and this fun to play all at the same time; it's like the best title from six years in the future fell through a time warp. Besides one aspect of the controls (why not include the option for a dual-analog stick setup like most other first-person games?), it's hard to imagine any complaints even the most cynical gamer could have with Prime, right down to its impeccable pacing and difficulty level. It's a joy to play and nearly impossible to put down until it's all over, and even then, a stash of secrets and cool unlockables await. Whether you're new to the series or (especially) if you're an old fan with lofty expectations, Prime is better than you can imagine. An absolute masterpiece, a modern classic, and probably the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame.

Mark:10

I never thought it would turn out like this. My wildest hopes for a U.S.-made Metroid first-person shooter peaked at "passable." Well, Retro Studios, I owe you an apology-- Prime is the best GameCube game yet. First, know that it's not an FPS. Mark might wish it controlled like one, but I don't--the Zelda-style lock-on combat is spectacular, and jumping feels surprisingly natural. Amazingly, it plays like Super Metroid, only in full 3D. I could ramble on about the spectacular boss fights, ingenious power-ups, and amazing music, but instead I've gotta go buy my friend Chris a copy of Prime. I bet him two years back that this new Metroid wouldn't even earn a Silver Award. I'm glad I was wrong.

Shane: 10

Man, I really don't know what to say. I was totally ready to hate on Metroid Prime prior to experiencing it first-hand, but the minute I set foot on Tallon IV's lush overworld, I was a believer. If you're a fan of the Metroid series, you'll be happy to know that Prime embodies everything you love about it: the amazing atmosphere, the sprawling world, and, most importantly, the seamless flow. But even if you've never played a Metroid game before, Prime will still impress you; the visuals are untouchable, the gameplay is tight, and the mood is hauntingly captivating. It is simply mind-blowing on so many different levels--you must experience it.

Miguel: 10

Visuals: 10

Sound: 10

Ingenuity: 9

Replay: 8

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is the singular game I am most proud of owning, and I am soooo happy that it'll finally be available to people who missed out. What an absolute steal. Truly.

Yup, same here. Spent ages getting a copy when the trilogy came out. I'm probably going to grab the discounted digital version too, to make it even easier to replay from time to time. Time to put the disc version in a showcase

I own the titles individually as well as owning the trilogy and I cannot wait to purchase this game tomorrow. Picked up points card on my way home and will be buying this game first thing tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom