• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Zero Mission and Punch Out Wii on the EU EShop this week

Miguel81

I envy those that will be playing Zero Mission for the first time. It's a very well done remake and the perfect intro to the series(if ya haven't played them).

Spike

This means it's gonna release in NA soon, right?

RIGHT!?

TgWXb.gif

Enjoy Zero Mission, EU GAF, as it's a truly amazing game. Also, don't sleep on Punch-Out!! Wii if you haven't played it!

Going by NoA's VC schedule (Super Mario Kart, DKC, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc.) we should expect Zero Mission within the next two or three months.
I'm worried this will happen, make complaints about thew game more vocal and drive up anti European sentiment (it is difficult to make legitimate complaints because someone barks up "but you go Xnoblad/New £DS/some VC game/SNOS Contralir so shut up, NOA Sux; NOE rox").

As for Punch-Out. For £18 you can like buy multiple boxed copies here in Europe for that price.

Speaking of which the only thing worse than a chorus of NOA sux is:
Well, two things:
- If the PSP can emulate GBA via homebrew I'd say the 3DS can emulate GBA via a well done, official emulator
Why do you assume official emulators are any better than fan made ones? Also you missed the bit where the PSP heavily used frame skipping and also clocked the system up as to drain the battery ultra quick.

If you're going to follow this argument counter the "the ambassador version are not good enough" line with "what about DSiWare?" (or like Robin64 said Wii games sold via the eShop). But at this point I wonder if it will be bottled for cross buy (if they ever bother).

rjc571

Banned
PSP GBA emulation is nowhere near the standards that Nintendo would require for their 3DS GBA emulation.

I can't speak for the New 3DS, though, but it may have the needed oomph to pull it off. I don't know.

They could run GBA games natively on 3DS, as they did with the GBA ambassador games and with Wii games on Wii U. It's completely nonsensical that they're willing to sell Wii games on Wii U like this, but not GBA (and DS) games on 3DS.

And all this talk about Nintendo having high standards for emulation quality is pretty bogus as well. Their N64 emulator on the Wii Virtual Console was far from perfect.

R.I.P

This is turning out to be a damn great week for digital games, getting Zero Mission, OutRun and Hotline Miami 2 this week!

Dunkley

Well, two things:
- If the PSP can emulate GBA via homebrew I'd say the 3DS can emulate GBA via a well done, official emulator
- Even if it's true that a 3DS can't emulate a GBA properly, which I find very strange, the New 3DS can.

So... yeah. :/

You really are overestimating how good GBA emulation was on the PSP, but I agree that it should be possible at least now with the New 3DS.

Aren't you a little dramatic murdering BY2K over that?

I laughed a lot at that gif.

They could run GBA games natively on 3DS, as they did with the GBA ambassador games and with Wii games on Wii U. It's completely nonsensical that they're willing to sell Wii games on Wii U like this, but not GBA (and DS) games on 3DS.

And all this talk about Nintendo having high standards for emulation quality is pretty bogus as well. Their N64 emulator on the Wii Virtual Console was far from perfect.

Hell the NES emulator on Wii U isn't even good as well. People just like to come up with excuses when it's Nintendo being Nintendo

teeny

Yay, good news, I've been looking forward to this. My Metroid experience has gone:

Other M > Metroid > Fusion > Super and am currently playing through Prime for the first time.

This is such a great series and I am so late to the party, I really hope a new game (or two) is announced soon.

Robin64

Hell the NES emulator on Wii U isn't even good as well. People just like to come up with excuses when it's Nintendo being Nintendo

The NES emulator is spot-on, though you may disagree with the colours and visual effect Nintendo chose for the screen. (As I do, they look like shit)

SeanTSC

Enjoy Zero Mission, EU GAF, as it's a truly amazing game. Also, don't sleep on Punch-Out!! Wii if you haven't played it!

Going by NoA's VC schedule (Super Mario Kart, DKC, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc.) we should expect Zero Mission within the next two or three months.

Man, I hope it doesn't take that long. I want Zero Mission like Yesterday. It better come to NA.

JordanKZ

EU getting MZM this week is actually revenge for us in Europe having to wait until god damn May for Codename STEAM.

Cryxok

I see your point. But if Nintendo really followed that rule, N64 virtual console on Wii hould have never happened. Hell, even SNES neither, since "it requires over 3 GHz of processing power".

I see your point, it's true, but Nintendo doesn't need absolutely accurate emulation to release a game as long as the game just runs flawless.

Majora's Mask crashed randomly on VC though. A lot less than the GC version but it does :(

I think it has less to do with the emulation itself and more with the extra features required. Ambassador games lack certain functions that every other 3DS have: Sleep mode and multi-tasking. While I can forgive the lack of multi-tasking (home menu asks you to close the game) the lack of Sleep mode is more critical since it can suck your battery up if you close the console with a GBA game on and forget it can't suspend it. Pretty sure that can lead to many complains that Nintendo wants to avoid.

Sure, it's better than nothing but I can understand why they don't want to charge for that. Also, I don't think releasing GBA games exclusively for N3DS would be the solution as it can be seen as OG 3DS owners being kicked in the butt. One or a handful of games is barely acceptable; a whole lineup of games would cause an uproar (not much different to the one caused by us Ambassadors having them tho)

I wonder if they could fake sleep mode by forcing the lid closing to simulate the button command for the GBA sleep mode, and opening it to simulate the wake up button command.

But yea, I think Sleep Mode is the big hurdle for them and GBA games. Because even full, real, 3DS games sometimes reset the system on quitting (like Smash Bros).

kunonabi

Finally! I've been wanting to try Zero Mission for ages now!

I loved Super Metroid which I played last year, but Fusion was really disappointing. Hopefully Zero Mission will be good.

Zero Mission is even worse than Fusion I'm sorry to say.

Zero Mission is even worse than Fusion I'm sorry to say.

Zero Mission is a lot like Super. In fact it almost feels like an expansion or direct sequel to Super and was obviously built more with Super in mind than making it Metroid with Fusion's physics.

It's much more traditional than Fusion, being very exploring heavy with very little story at all, no internal elevator monologues, at least that I can remember.

But besides that, both Fusion and ZM are fantastic games.

In terms of handholding and linearity? Aw, man. :(

Not at all

Cool, I've been waiting for Zero Mission since I played Super Metroid and Fusion last year.

I'd definitely buy Punch-Out if it was 10€ like the first Wii games were, for 20€ I'll probably wait a while at least.

Zero Mission at last!

See Nintendo there's more ways to make people throw money at you than just understocking plastic figurines - you could just make some of those awesome games you have available to buy.

Molemitts

Zero Mission is a lot like Super. In fact it almost feels like an expansion or direct sequel to Super and was obviously built more with Super in mind than making it Metroid with Fusion's physics.

It's much more traditional than Fusion, being very exploring heavy with very little story at all, no internal elevator monologues, at least that I can remember.

But besides that, both Fusion and ZM are fantastic games.

Not at all

Yeah, I thought it was a remake of the orginal. I didn't like Fusion because it took away a lot of the independent exploration and discovery of Super Metroid. Nice to hear Zero Mission is more focused on that. I'll check it out.

Siegmeyer

Prime was the only Metroid game I'd ever played before I got my Wii U. Now Zero Mission will be mine also. My Wii U hard drive is basically a shrine to the Metroid games at this point.

Davey Cakes

Zero Mission is easily one of the best Metroid games. It blends old and new perfectly, has a well-remixed soundtrack, and controls the best of any of the 2D Metroids.

I love it, and will buy it the second it hits the NA eShop.

We need another game like it, honestly. A sequel to Fusion or a remake of Metroid II.

SeanTSC

Zero Mission is easily one of the best Metroid games. It blends old and new perfectly, has a well-remixed soundtrack, and controls the best of any of the 2D Metroids.

I love it, and will buy it the second it hits the NA eShop.

We need another game like it, honestly. A sequel to Fusion or a remake of Metroid II.

Yeah, I badly want a Nintendo remake of Metroid II. I appreciate fan projects and all, but I want one I can actually play on my Wii U.

Nbz

So excited!!!!

Zero Mission is the one Metroid game I've been waiting to play for a real long time. Absolutely a day 1 purchase for me this Thursday.

Was starting to lose hope that it would get released anytime soon, seeing as the Japanese version has been out forever.

Finally! but I have a question about Zero Mission:

Does the game control the same as Super Metroid?

Super Metroid is the only 2D Metroid I've played so far and I really hated how jumping felt in the game. It felt kind of "unresponsive". Don't know how to describe it.

Ridley327

Finally! but I have a question about Zero Mission:

Does the game control the same as Super Metroid?

Super Metroid is the only 2D Metroid I've played so far and I really hated how jumping felt in the game. It felt kind of "unresponsive". Don't know how to describe it.

ZM is definitely a lot more responsive, such as that term might mean.

OmegaX

I don't think you're getting the difference between "decent" emulation (which I personally don't think GBA on PSP is), and accurate emulation. It's huge. Homebrew emulators are exceedingly hacky.

This is why people can run SNES emulators on really bad PCs, but to emulate SNES accurately requires over 3GHz of processing power.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Why do you think Nintendo's VC emulators are accurate though? I remember that when they launched the service on the Wii, some people over the ZSNES and bsnes forums, recognized several hacks they used to get games running. I doubt any emulator Nintendo has programmed is cycle accurate like bsnes is.

mstevens

Nice, now every Metroid will be playable on 3ds / wii u.

Hope this comes to NA soon. I'll definitely play it once I finish the last two Primes.

sörine

Banned
Why do you think Nintendo's VC emulators are accurate though? I remember that when they launched the service on the Wii, some people over the ZSNES and bsnes forums, recognized several hacks they used to get games running. I doubt any emulator Nintendo has programmed is cycle accurate like bsnes is.
Nintendo's VC emulators definitely use speedhacks (at least SNES on Wii did, N64 went even further with some reprogramming) but they also have super high compatibility and go through a comparably rigorous testing process.

Pretty much every FC, NES, GB or GBC title is fully playable via their Wii and 3DS VC emus so they might be cycle accurate?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Finally! I've been wanting to try Zero Mission for ages now!

I loved Super Metroid which I played last year, but Fusion was really disappointing. Hopefully Zero Mission will be good.

Greatest remake of all time together with RE Rebirth.
It's fantastic, my favorite Metroid ever with Prime 1.

€20 for Punch Out is almost double what it goes for at retail tho :/
If the game had been given CC support and thus fully playable with the gamepad I wouldn't have waited a second to jump on it, but as it is... mmmmmh...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Zero Mission is my favorite Metroid and one of my favorite games period. Get it folks.

Top Bottom