• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

OverHeat

« generous god »
"It's so far ahead of its competition that its competitors seem downright pathetic - regardless if they're called Gears of War, Splinter Cell or Halo 3. "

How come no Playstation franchises ( ok maybe Splinter Cell) are mentioned?

OverHeat said:
"It's so far ahead of its competition that its competitors seem downright pathetic - regardless if they're called Gears of War, Splinter Cell or Halo 3. "

Bias, obviously.

OverHeat said:

Playstation doesn't have many standout military shooter franchises. Except maybe Socom, but that's mostly about multiplayer.

OverHeat

« generous god »
akachan ningen said:
Playstation doesn't have many standout military shooter franchises. Except maybe Socom, but that's mostly about multiplayer.
Resistance, Syphon Filter?

But anyways I love that MGS4 is getting great review. Day 1 for me.

OverHeat said:

GoW and H3 are 2 of the most praised shooters of this generation, and SC has always been MGS' main competition (according to the media atleast).

Dever

Banned
OverHeat said:

2 biggest action games of this gen + MGS's "rival." Don't see the big deal here.

Edit:

SolidSnakex said:
GoW and H3 are 2 of the most praised shooters of this generation, and SC has always been MGS' main competition (according to the media atleast).

Psycho Mantis?!

OverHeat

« generous god »
Thrakier said:
Resistance has much lower scores than gears or halo which are considerd to be bigger or more triple a. And Syphon Filter is a joke, is it?

The PSP game is awesome.

AAK

What were their complaints? Did they mention if there were any plotholes in the story? How was the framerate?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
so it`s one point better than bloom box ? steven spielberg redeemed :p

-MB-

akachan ningen said:

PS3 has a little shooter called call of duty 4 also.

Mechar

Neo Member
sykoex said:
Anyway, just out of curiousity what's on the cover of this issue of LEVEL? I know they're the magazine that had that amazing Mega Man cover art.

The cover on this issue is Lich King from the uppcoming WoW expansion. They got to play an early Alpha of the game. Probably the same one as GFW did.

ub_89f117a5d2a1a5a6d4b3e680941d6974.jpg

And that Mega Man you were talking about, they posted a story about it at Kotaku. That cover really was and still is awesome. In the editorial, Tobias Bjarneby (editor in chief) talks about all the work they put in to get that exclusive cover.

mega_man_level21.jpg

I might as well also post another spectacular one from another swedish magazine that I subscribe to, Super PLAY. This is their cover 3 issues ago. This one´s also exclusive to the subscribers. Sam and Max in all their glory...

SP144_0802-pren_oms-site388.jpg

Mechar

Neo Member
Tom Penny said:
No summary of the game?
I haven´t got my hands on the latest issue, since I don´t subscribe to it. It will be hitting newsstands tomorrw here in Sweden, but Seiken is probably your man if you´re looking for some information regarding the review.

Mrbob

I'm glad to hear the final installment of Solid Snake's saga has turned out great.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at all the 10s, but after playing MGS3 I shouldn't be. June is going to be such an amazing month.

It is odd to hear MGS4 being referred too as an action game. Not that I'm complaining, because I would prefer it if the games action ratio to stealth ratio is higher than the previous MGS games.

dralla

these quotes sound like they were written by a teenager on his blog, are they really quotes from the review?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
akachan ningen said:
You clarified it after he made that comment about you being stupid.

Check the post order again--my clarification was up a minute before his dumbass comment.

Back on topic--glad to see the game getting such great reviews.

watership

Variable said:
"Touching" is not how I would like MGS described.

It depends on how serious you take the series. Some people watch the end of MSG3 and cry. Some watch the same scene and laugh at it's cheese.

dralla said:
these quotes sound like they were written by a teenager on his blog, are they really quotes from the review?

the guy sounds very excitable
(taken from the forum):

K81: There the guy from PSM says that this generation starts with MGS.

Pär Villner: Couldn't have said it better myself. It's like when Super Mario 64 was released

Army_Reserve: It's really that good Perre?

Pär Villner: It's undescribable.

@plinko jeez i apologised already what more can i do

Johnas

BlazingDarkness said:
Pär Villner: Couldn't have said it better myself. It's like when Super Mario 64 was released

Really now...if that isn't the most glowing comment ever, I don't know what is.

Doc Evils

BlazingDarkness said:
(taken from the forum):

34fyz6d.gif

What in gods name. I really am starting to worry about these comments. Yes, I will be blown away by MGS4 in terms of story, sound and graphics. Gameplay wise, I sort of know what to expect, and with comments like these, makes GTA, Halo, Gears the bitches of MGS4.

I fucking hope so.

Yoboman

Gold Member
BlazingDarkness said:
(taken from the forum):

Okay that's a bit much. I'm happy with MGS4 hype, don't turn it into hype that makes GTAIV's hype look measured

Mechar

Neo Member
Yoboman said:
Okay that's a bit much. I'm happy with MGS4 hype, don't turn it into hype that makes GTAIV's hype look measured
This guy also reviewed Grand Theft Auto IV. He was all over that game to.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tom Penny said:
No summary of the game?
Sorry, I'm not going to read the review (media blackout). Someone else with the issue, don't forget to spoiler mark!

Johnas

I had recently been telling myself that this game would be amazing, but it wouldn't have the emotional impact of MGS3's ending. Now I'm starting to think it has that and then some.

antiloop

Pär Villner also reviewed these recently:

Haze 4/10
DMC4 9/10
GTAIV 10/10
COD4 8/10
Mario Kart 8/10
RS V:2 7/10
AC 8/10

To get some perspective.

antiloop said:
Pär Villner also reviewed these recently:

Haze 4/10
DMC4 9/10
GTAIV 10/10
COD4 8/10
Mario Kart 8/10
RS V:2 7/10
AC 8/10

To get some perspective.

kinda all over the place... some are too high and some are too low... guess its proof that he doesnt let others perspectives get in his way

Johnas

SolidSnakex said:
Yep, they ran me out of my own thread. :/

It does suck, but I think I'm gonna take that as fair warning to go ahead and bail out on the internet sooner than I had planned. Not sure when exactly. I've got plenty of games to keep me busy.

Johnas said:
It does suck, but I think I'm gonna take that as fair warning to go ahead and bail out on the internet sooner than I had planned. Not sure when exactly. I've got plenty of games to keep me busy.

Everything should be cool once the official thread goes up. There's apparently going to be very harsh spoiler rules put in place for it.

Top Bottom