• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

Johnas

SolidSnakex said:
Everything should be cool once the official thread goes up. There's apparently going to be very harsh spoiler rules put in place for it.

Hmm, good news. It's gonna be tough to not talk about the game at all until it gets released. I mainly want to keep track of review scores and non-spoilered review impressions, so I guess that'll be safe for that.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Mechar said:
mega_man_level21.jpg

Wow for both the review and this masterpiece, now if only I can get this as an avatar.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Variable said:
"Touching" is not how I would like MGS described.

Yeah, fuck emotions! Where's the booze?

akachan ningen said:
Oh yeah, forgot about syphon filter. Shows how much that game is on anyone's mind. :lol

Forget you. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow on PSP was an excellent game. Got good reviews too. I'm hoping for a PS3 game announced at E3.

mintylurb

Seiken said:
MGS4: 10 "Metal Gear Solid 4 is Hideo Kojimas best and most touching game ever.
Haze: 4
Boom Blox: 9
FFVII: Crisis Core: 8
GRID: 7
Iron Man: 2
Pool Party: 5
LEGO Indiana Jones: 7
Echocrome: 7

If anyone want any details on any review except the MGS4 one (don't wanna be spoiled), I'm willing to translate.
Poor Iron Man..;< Also, no mention of multiple 90 min cut-scenes?

Raistlin

Variable said:
"Touching" is not how I would like MGS described.

I'm pretty sure that was a translation error.

What it meant was that this is the best Kojima game ever, and that its so good, you can't stop touching your pein.

Dr.Hadji

Only three hours of the game have passed when
Solid Snake wakes up in his home base at Otacon's
, but MGS4 has already surpassed everything else I've played in the action genre. It's so far ahead of its competition that its competitors seem downright pathetic - regardless if they're called Gears of War, Splinter Cell or Halo 3.

Yup, I'm going to do myself a favor and ignore all of these comments. Reviewers really need to learn this type of review style only helps the hype and not the game. I love me some MGS but come on.

Deepblue

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Yup, I'm going to do myself a favor and ignore all of these comments. Reviewers really need to learn this type of review style only helps the hype and not the game. I love me some MGS but come on.
This is especially rediculous in light of the fact that Gears and Halo are NOTHING like MGS.

Mechar

Neo Member
Wow, I´m pretty surprised that this thread has more hype than the OPM MGS 4 review- one had. OPM is by far a much larger magazine than tiny Level based in Sweden. And when does all the EGMs, EDGEs and Gameinformers show upp exactly with their reviews of the game?

Euphor!a

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:

I'm pretty sure reviews can never help(Or hurt) a game, it can only effect the hype regardless of how it is written.

Deepblue

Banned
Mechar said:
Wow, I´m pretty surprised that this thread has more hype than the OPM MGS 4 review- one had. OPM is by far a much larger magazine than tiny Level based in Sweden. And when does all the EGMs, EDGEs and Gameinformers show upp exactly with their reviews of the game?
Later. I'm personally waiting for the Eurogamer review.

Euphor!a

Banned
Mechar said:

I'm pretty sure that is because people find exclusive reviews highly suspect, which is not the case for this Swedish magazine, or at least I doubt it is the case.

Mechar said:
Wow, I´m pretty surprised that this thread has more hype than the OPM MGS 4 review- one had. OPM is by far a much larger magazine than tiny Level based in Sweden.
To be fair Level is the most credible videogame centric magazine you'll find over here (since our beloved and unprecedented PC Gamer went to shit :'( ) and I'd take that over some exclusive mag any day.

And they are the guys that broke the Halo 3 NDA as made famous by Luke Smith!

Mechar

Neo Member
Euphor!a said:
I'm pretty sure that is because people find exclusive reviews highly suspect, which is not the case for this Swedish magazine, or at least I doubt it is the case.
True. The reviewer went to the very same event as Shane went to representing 1UP and EGM . But at the same time, if he has written his review based on what he played back in Japan, how come then Shane or maybe Jeff Haynes hasn´t? Sure, exclusive deals perhaps, but at the same time, I recall Shane saying that this wasn´t the final version, but one beeing near completed. And from what I´ve heard, different onlinepublications have been recieving the final build as early as last week.

NeoUltima

So thats three 10s for MGS4 so far if I'm not mistaken :). My hype is somehow still managing to increase.

Also, I need to know how careful I need to be on the interwebs....for someone who has seen that spoiler in the other thread, can you say how serious it is on a scale of 1 to 5?

Mechar said:
True. The reviewer went to the very same event as Shane went to representing 1UP and EGM . But at the same time, if he has written his review based on what he played back in Japan, how come then Shane or maybe Jeff Haynes hasn´t? Sure, exclusive deals perhaps, but at the same time, I recall Shane saying that this wasn´t the final version, but one beeing near completed. And from what I´ve heard, different onlinepublications have been recieving the final build as early as last week.
Shane technically didn't review it, but his tone on 1up Yours when he was talking about MGS4 made it clear he would give the game an A+ if he was allowed to review it. He said that even if they didn't fix the one problem the game had(difficulty balancing issues at one part of the game), it wouldn't have affected his score.

Dr.Hadji

Euphor!a said:
I'm pretty sure reviews can never help(Or hurt) a game, it can only effect the hype regardless of how it is written.

I know it shouldn't affect the game (it doesn't for me) but there are sizable number of people out there who let these reviews shape their expectations and when/if they don't match up they come away disappointed. It shouldn't be too hard to imagine, someone reading this review and imagining the action game to end all action games only the have the final product come up short (or at the very least different).

Mechar

Neo Member
Danne-Danger said:
To be fair Level is the most credible videogame centric magazine you'll find over here (since our beloved and unprecedented PC Gamer went to shit :'( ) and I'd take that over some exclusive mag any day.

And they are the guys that broke the Halo 3 NDA as made famous by Luke Smith!

Ah, I remember that watching The 1UP Show when Marks smashed that Halo figure right on Shoe´s desk. And Danne, between us two så äger Super PLAY LEVEL any day.

SRG01

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Forget you. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow on PSP was an excellent game. Got good reviews too. I'm hoping for a PS3 game announced at E3.

Logan's Shadow is like PSP's Uncharted. Except that you can aim from cover, which totally destroyed the difficulty of the game. :lol

Lakitu

st5fu
NeoUltima said:
So thats three 10s for MGS4 so far if I'm not mistaken :). My hype is somehow still managing to increase.

Also, I need to know how careful I need to be on the interwebs....for someone who has seen that spoiler in the other thread, can you say how serious it is on a scale of 1 to 5?

Shane technically didn't review it, but his tone on 1up Yours when he was talking about MGS4 made it clear he would give the game an A+ if he was allowed to review it. He said that even if they didn't fix the one problem the game had(difficulty balancing issues at one part of the game), it wouldn't have affected his score.

Can I have a link to the 1up yours where he talks about it please?

Jtrizzy

How bad are the spoilers in the other thread? I was about to head over but it sounds sketchy. I've seen all the trailers including the movie guy one.

Jtrizzy said:
How bad are the spoilers in the other thread? I was about to head over but it sounds sketchy. I've seen all the trailers including the movie guy one.

It was bad enough that people started freaking out when they clicked it. I've completely bailed out of the thread as a result. I don't know what the picture is and I don't want to know what it is.

It's a picture you've seen already and has been discussed about in a past MGS4 thread. I'll give you a hint without even spoiling it. It was a blurry picture taken from some group in europe that played the game.

SolidSnakex said:
It was bad enough that people started freaking out when they clicked it. I've completely bailed out of the thread as a result. I don't know what the picture is and I don't want to know what it is.

It's quite spoilericious. I advise you not to click.

Mechar

Neo Member
If anyone listendet to tha latest episode of Podcast Beyond and when they were doing the weekly Reader Mail (mail call, mail/female, aaaaaah!) Jeff got a question asking if there was a bossfight in the game wich had the same level of awesomeness like the fight with The End had. His response was "Dear, sweet zombiejesus yes!".

NeoUltima

Mechar said:
If anyone listendet to tha latest episode of Podcast Beyond and when they were doing the weekly Reader Mail (mail call, mail/female, aaaaaah!) Jeff got a question asking if there was a bossfight in the game wich had the same level of awesomeness like the fight with The End had. His response was "Dear, sweet zombiejesus yes!".
Yeah, I listened to that too :D . I got goosebumbs and started shaking in excitement when he said that.

DunpealD

Any information about PSP connectivity?

The spoilers in the other thread are more or less huge and spoiler tags filled. I recommend to stay away from it if you want to play the game as a clean white sheet of paper.

Doc Evils

SolidSnakex said:

Eva has a pein.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Mechar said:
You got a link?

Daante

Well iv been around for quite some time following mostly of the LEVEL crew since 10+ years back, so i kinda trust their opinions much. In this case with MGS4 and with Per:s review i get the same wibes as i have gotten from Shane when i have listen to all the podcasts when he talks about MGS4 etc (yeah they where both on the same "boot camp" @ Konami) , meaning i really really think this game will be truly awesome.

I might get flamed for saying/thinking this but i dont think MGS4 will score as high as GTA4 has done , and that is simply beacuse i feel the MGS franchise always seem to have been this awesome franchise that critics "like" to try "find things" that they can be negative about and hence therefore drop their final score a bit. I can already see some sites mags go on like "MGS4 does EVERYTHING right but in the end there is still to much cutscenes and dialogues , 9/10"

"Some" franchises these days seems to automatically "starts" higher on the point board than others.. ^^ , just my two cents.

konrad77

"It's so far ahead of its competition that its competitors seem downright pathetic - regardless if they're called Gears of War, Splinter Cell or Halo 3. "
Wat? I would give Splinter Cell an eight out of ten.
I havent read the review yet, but isnt that quote from the preview from last month?

Top Bottom