• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

Metal Gear Solid 2 had the worst story of all time. What the fuck is the defense force smoking?

The primary group of antagonists comes from a consciousness that formed in the foundations of the White House. Think about that. A consciousness that formed in the foundations of the White House.

How can you even try to defend that?

Green Shinobi said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 had the worst story of all time. What the fuck is the defense force smoking?

The primary group of antagonists comes from a consciousness that formed in the foundations of the White House. Think about that. A consciousness that formed in the foundations of the White House.

I thought that was a metaphor or something. I don't know. All I know is the stretch-run of MGS2 was probably my most memorable gaming experience ever. It was a surreal night.

Ganondorfo

I read the dutch review, this is what they say about mgs4: I will include the NOT SPOILERS

-They couldn't say anything about the story we didn't know yet , but they said that you should get the game already just for the story

-They think MGS4 is a bullseye as a game. GTAIV may have a longer playability, Assassins Creed may have better graphics but on many aspects MGS4 is coming out. The suspense of the story, the perfect controls, the amazing sound directions and of course the emotion, it's hard to find all this in one game

-If you liked the long, complex story of the previous MGS's, you will love MGS4

revolverjgw said:
I thought that was a metaphor or something. I don't know. All I know is the stretch-run of MGS2 was probably my most memorable gaming experience ever. It was a surreal night.
Oh, the gameplay in that stretch run is fantastic, no doubt about that. But the story is ludicrously bad. Like Uwe Boll caliber bad.

zoukka

Green Shinobi said:
Oh, the gameplay in that stretch run is fantastic, no doubt about that. But the story is ludicrously bad. Like Uwe Boll caliber bad.

Well everyone agrees that Uwe's movies are shit. But I sure don't agree with you.

Green Shinobi said:

It was everything, the gameplay, the codec convos, the spooky calls, the revelations, the convolution, the nudity, the fourth-wall shattering... it was a blast. Don't want to say it was ''good'', but it was entertaining and interesting, that's good enough for me. It had laugh-out-loud moments, both deliberate and not. I never felt like it was taking itself too seriously, so I can't critique it too harshly.

I couldn't wait to play show other people the ending... those dialogues were fun too.

Mromson

Green Shinobi said:
Apologies for wanting to scream loudly at you.

Darkpen

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

I think MGS4 will explain all :|

That's all that needs to be said.

Yagharek

revolverjgw said:

Yep. At the time I thought it was literal and was a bit annoyed. On replay it is clear that it is a metaphor. Even MGS4 trailers make that apparent.

Kittonwy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

Snake = Neil Bush confirmed.
Indifferent2.gif

Klone.K

MiamiWesker said:
Do you MGS2 guys honestly only play the MGS games just for the story? Cause thats all you talk about. Hey how about the actual freaking game. MGS3 is a better game than MGS2. Better gameplay mechanics, better level design, more freedom in combat, more secrets, better boss fights, better pacing, and a longer game.

Yes, that is the main point of MGS games.
I don't give a rat about the gameplay, if I did I'dd be playing game which much longer gameplay time. MGS3 may have better gameplay, but MGS2 is far superior in storyline which is the driving force behind the series.

Green Shinobi said:

Eh? What's so awful about that statement? Seems like pretty straightforward metaphor to me.

And this Klone.K guy is a clown. All the fanboy exegesis regarding Metal Gear is retarded.

Klone.K

Green Shinobi said:

Obviously you haven't read James Howells essay on the Patriots. It is a Japanese concept. You just proved you didn't do your mgs research.

zoukka said:
That's ingenious!

Maybe I should watch some of his movies again.

They're rather amusing. I don't people really have an understanding of just how bad they are though until you experience them.

Safe Bet

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

FICTION

Carrying On...

Thoughts of memes, the control of information, and human social/moral evolution impacted me the most.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mromson said:
It's Solid 30-60FPS. Nothing below 30.
So more stable than MGS3? That game was capped at 30fps right?

test_account

XP-39C²
How did LEVEL get a test version of MGS4? LEVEL isnt exactly the biggest gaming magazine, or? (i havnt read all the posts so this might have been asked before, if so, sorry).

zoukka

test_account said:
How did LEVEL get a test version of MGS4? LEVEL isnt exactly the biggest gaming magazine, or? (i havnt read all the posts so this might have been asked before, if so, sorry).

I think their reviewist was one of the lucky who was invited to play the game a while ago. I read a really long preview in a finnish magazine and the writer was Swedish. He said in that text that there's a time limit when they can speak about anything outside the first level.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Kiriku said:
How can it be solid when it's shifting between 30 and 60?

Probably because it doesn't dip below 30 but even then, a game will still feel rather stuttery (is that even a word?) if its jumping between 30-60fps (as you stated).

If anything, I would want the game to be locked at 30 atleast

test_account

XP-39C²
zoukka said:
I think their reviewist was one of the lucky who was invited to play the game a while ago. I read a really long preview in a finnish magazine and the writer was Swedish. He said in that text that there's a time limit when they can speak about anything outside the first level.
Ok, thanks for the info :) I was actually thinking about this MGS4 "camp", but werent only 14 journalist invited to this MGS "camp"? I would assume that bigger magazine/gaming websites journalist would be invited. I dont really know how big or small LEVEL is though.

zoukka

test_account said:
Ok, thanks for the info :) I was actually thinking about this MGS4 "camp", but werent only 14 journalist invited to this MGS "camp"? I would assume that bigger magazine/gaming websites journalist would be invited. I dont really know how big or small LEVEL is though.

That's what I meant. The guys name was Pår something...

test_account said:

They held 2 playthroughs for journalists. The first was at that camp and the other was in Paris in late April/early May.

Interestingly, I don't think Gamespot got to go to either.

okrim

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

:lol Sure. Fortunately there is gears of war or resident evil really better....

test_account

XP-39C²
zoukka said:
That's what I meant. The guys name was Pår something...
Probably Pär, that is a swedish name atleast :) I havnt heard the name Pår atleast.

SolidSnakex said:
They held 2 playthroughs for journalists. The first was at that camp and the other was in Paris in late April/early May.

Interestingly, I don't think Gamespot got to go to either.
Ah ok, i didnt know about the one in Paris, thanks for the info :)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
test_account said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was there. He wrote an article about it last month, and I'm sure the review is based on the time he spent playing through the game there.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BlueTsunami said:
Probably because it doesn't dip below 30 but even then, a game will still feel rather stuttery (is that even a word?) if its jumping between 30-60fps (as you stated).

If anything, I would want the game to be locked at 30 atleast

Exactly, and that's the point. In some cases, I prefer an absolutely LOCKED framerate at 30 rather than 30-60.

test_account

XP-39C²
ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was there. He wrote an article about it last month, and I'm sure the review is based on the time he spent playing through the game there.
Ah ok, thanks for the info :) I see that SolidSnakeX said something about an event in Paris as well, maybe he was there? If it was in late April and he wrote the article before this he might have been to the first MGS 4 "camp" :)

antiloop

Kiriku said:
Exactly, and that's the point. In some cases, I prefer an absolutely LOCKED framerate at 30 rather than 30-60.

That's a funny thing to say. Especially when no one seems to complain about the framerate in this game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
antiloop said:
That's a funny thing to say. Especially when no one seems to complain about the framerate in this game.

Exactly how many people have played through the game and voiced their opinion about it, and how many of those opinions have you read through from start to finish? Also, remember that some people are more forgiving than others when it comes to framerate.
Anyway, as I said before: in some cases, I prefer a locked framerate at 30 to a 30-60 rollercoaster. Not saying an unstable framerate in MGS4 is absolutely going to ruin the game for me; it's just a statement in general.

Rainy Dog

antiloop said:

But what you've to bear in mind is that half these reviews were based off a playthrough of the game 2 months before it went gold. The framerate will have been one of the last things they were still tweaking before gold status. From the experience with the online beta (specifically the MM map we know is based on the single player. The GG map was more like 15-30fps), the drifting between 30-60fps was only noticeable when looking for it. During gameplay can't say I ever noticed it.

Mromson

Lemme restate that:
The MGS4 FPS is excellently SOLID. Any drop in the FPS is unnoticeable, and it only happens when you get really A LOT of things up on the screen.

Top Bottom