• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MH370: When does the time come to say "enough is enough"?

Machina

Banned
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...-malaysia-airlines-plane-20170816-gxxc4s.html

Two new reports by authorities investigating the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have narrowed down to precise co-ordinates what could be the crash site of the missing plane.

Despite investigators saying the data was "useful" and "worth pursuing", the Turnbull government batted away suggestions of reopening the abandoned search.

The analysis, released by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau on Wednesday, looked at a number of objects seen floating in the Indian Ocean in the weeks following the plane's disappearance, and traced their likely origin.

Geoscience Australia examined four satellite images, sourced from French authorities, containing 70 objects floating in the water on March 23, 2014 - two weeks after the aircraft vanished. It declared 12 of the objects to be "probably man-made", though could not determine if they were aircraft debris.

Drift modelling from the CSIRO report showing simulated trajectories of debris items over time from a single point of ...
Drift modelling from the CSIRO report showing simulated trajectories of debris items over time from a single point of origin: at 35.6 degrees south and 92.8 degrees east. Australia is on the right of the picture. Photo: ATSB
The CSIRO then performed a drift analysis and concluded they most likely originated from a zone in the south-eastern quadrant of an area just to the north of the previous search zone, which experts now consider the plane's most likely location. It also provided precise coordinates within the zone: 35.6°S, 92.8°E, a location consistent with evidence from earlier investigations.

CSIRO oceanographer David Griffin, who authored the drift analysis, said the findings pinpointed an area more precise than any previous efforts.

"We're talking about much smaller regions than we've ever been talking about before," he told Fairfax Media.

This is such a difficult subject from a compassionate perspective. There are hundreds of families out there still waiting for closure surrounding what happened to their loved ones and why, but having said that; It's been 1258 days since the plane vanished, and we're no closer to knowing what happened to it then we were 1 week following. Scraps of debris here and there that maybe possibly could be apart of the plane have been found but that's pretty much it.

When someone flatlines in an emergency room, doctors will attempt to save the person up to a point where it is beyond reasonable doubt that the person can't be saved. Same goes for a lifesaver performing CPR on a drowned person they just pulled from the surf. At some stage, you just have to call an end to the struggle. I sympathize with the families of the passengers and crew, I really do, but it is as important for them to move on from this and settle into their lives again as much as it is the rest of us.

PillarEN

Wasn't that the germanwings flight that crashed into the alps?

That flight was 100% a suicide trip. Not sure about this flight. I really can't believe it was never found though. Big plane. And yeah even bigger body of water, but somehow someway you would think it would have been found even by accident.

danowat

Banned
There is probably some value in continuing pursuing the cause, just from the viewpoint of trying to stop something similar happening again in the future.

But just how much you chuck at it, and when you decide enough is enough is not something I'd want to decide.

Meadows

Banned
I thought they sort of landed on the theory that the pilot was on a suicide trip? Or am I mixing up plane crashes..?

They looked into that here, but I don't think they found anything that would indicate the pilot did that.

I think the primary theory is that some kind of non-explosive decompression happened in the flight that caused hypoxia and that the plane continued to fly for thousands of miles on autopilot until it ran out of fuel and crashed.

Mohonky

I thought they sort of landed on the theory that the pilot was on a suicide trip? Or am I mixing up plane crashes..?

Well its a theory, but they would obviously much rather 'know' than guess in case its something that could have been avoided or potentially could ve avoided in the future.

danowat

Banned
They looked into that here, but I don't think they found anything that would indicate the pilot did that.

I think the primary theory is that some kind of non-explosive decompression happened in the flight that caused hypoxia and that the plane continued to fly for thousands of miles on autopilot until it ran out of fuel and crashed.

I think they narrowed it down to 5 possible theories as to what happened.

Khaz

Weren't there a conspiracy theory that the plane was hijacked to hit an American base, and the military shot it down and then everybody covered the incident by looking away?

PillarEN

Weren't there a conspiracy theory that the plane was hijacked to hit an American base, and the military shot it down and then everybody covered the incident by looking away?

First time I've heard anything like that. Any legit link where that was even being speculated?

farmerboy

If they can spend 130 mil on a "survey" to figure out if we want gay marriage why not spend 10 mil to at least go have a look.

/s

Khaz

First time I've heard anything like that. Any legit link where that was even being speculated?

Well it's a conspiracy theory, so you'll mostly get fringe sites talking about it. It's mentioned in this article http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...opment-conspiracy-theories-what-a7703531.html and described in more detail here http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...t-extra-passenger_uk_58c131b0e4b054a0ea6822e4 . Google "mh370 diego garcia" to read more about it.

The whole American / worldwide cover up that surrounds it is pretty ridiculous and is what makes it a conspiracy theory. You can never prove it wrong, because it's a conspiracy.

What the fuck.

Dude, people spend DECADES looking for the bodies of their loved ones in many different contexts, from long finished conflicts to natural catastrophes. Don't be an ass.
Fair enough. I don't know enough about these kind of cases and how long families hope for. I'm sorry.

JoeNut

i thought it got shot down over russia? was that the other one?

also Messofanego you should maybe think about what you just posted

WoodWERD

What an idiotic post (referring to #4). I'd say enough is enough when they find the wreckage. This story still blows my mind.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What a garbage thread title lol. "A plane crashed mysteriously and 240 people died, isn't it time everyone stops caring?" It's not even 100% about closure for families, of course lots of parties want to know exactly what happened here.

Yeah what the hell at the thread title. It will never be over until investigation unearths the true reasons behind the MH370 tragedy, even if it takes decades. It's not at all about "moving on", which is a shitty thing to say to someone who's lost a loved one in an air crash.

FYI it took 1130 days from the crash of Air France Flight 447 to arrive at the final report regarding the crash.

Drifters

Fair enough. I don't know enough about these kind of cases and how long families hope for. I'm sorry.

I can see your career here is going to be a fruitful one.

Anyways, interested to see what they find, can't image losing someone who gets on a plane, never lands and then the entire world doesn't know what the hell happened.

Drencrom

Jesus christ, 239 people completely disappeared and most likely died and there are people who say "Who cares", "They're dead, families should move on" etc after only 3 years?

Do all of you also think people who had family-members/children disappeared or kidnapped should just "let it go" after a couple of years too?

Not only should MH370 be found because there are hundreds of families that need closure, but we also need to know what happened to prevent something like this happening again in the future.

jstripes

Banned
Not only do people want closure, I'm sure there's all kinds of bureaucratic red tape that needs a definitive answer before it goes away, like for insurance.

Darren870

At this point any data should be sent to Malaysia and they should be continuing on the search.

Australia China and Malaysia suspended the search in the start of 2017 but it really is on Malaysia at this point to continue to search and fund any future searches.

At least in my opinion.

mnannola

You did not present a compelling case for everyone to move on. A whole freaking commercial plane disappeared with 200+ people on it. That isn't something you move on from without a REALLY good reason.

hirokazu

At this point any data should be sent to Malaysia and they should be continuing on the search.

Australia China and Malaysia suspended the search in the start of 2017 but it really is on Malaysia at this point to continue to search and fund any future searches.

At least in my opinion.
Is the new search likely location still in Australian waters? If so, then responsibility falls on Australia. I don't know about what obligations a country has after the search has already been suspended though.

Jezbollah

I sympathize with the families of the passengers and crew, I really do, but it is as important for them to move on from this and settle into their lives again as much as it is the rest of us.

Clearly you dont symphathize. Imagine you are one of those family members, and you have no closure at all, because you don't know where the body of your loved one is located.

I hope you don't have a close friend of family member disappear.

farmerboy

I can see your career here is going to be a fruitful one.

Anyways, interested to see what they find, can't image losing someone who gets on a plane, never lands and then the entire world doesn't know what the hell happened.

Messo has 44000 posts. He's not a newbie.

Pilot went on a suicide mission and drove the plane to the bottom of the ocean. I don't understand what OP is trying to say?

liquidtmd

Banned
This new information and evidence seems compelling enough to warrant a search of the area.

Kinda hypothetical question - if they actually managed to find the black box at this point, what are the odds of it being functional?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
When someone flatlines in an emergency room, doctors will attempt to save the person up to a point where it is beyond reasonable doubt that the person can't be saved. Same goes for a lifesaver performing CPR on a drowned person they just pulled from the surf. At some stage, you just have to call an end to the struggle.

The closer analogy would be a post-mortem.

liquidtmd

Banned
You say that like it's fact, which it isn't.

Exactly. Hearing people spout 'it was the pilot' over the years without definitive proof must be unbearable for the family.

The simplest answer is usually the right one, and if indeed it is at these new co-ordinates then the pilot does seem to be the best fit but tin foil hat time - if something happened to the plane in relation to either being shot down or any cause that a Government wouldn't particularly want broadcasting, then saying 'hey look at all this flight simulation stuff practicing a death run we found at his house' would be an easy way to pin it on him.

There's just too many unknowns.

The closer analogy would be a post-mortem.

Also right

It's like a lifeguard being told there's a missing surfer out at sea. He 100% is dead. No way he could have survived. Not contacted family. Must have drowned or died of exposure within hours... But without a post mortem we cannot say for sure. Could have been murdered directly. No body

You think families believe the passengers are still alive but never made contact for all these years? I don't.
You misunderstood. These families aren't hoping to find them alive more than they want to find out WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED so that they can get closure.
You had no empathy for these families and yet you chose to mouth off anyway. I'm sorry too.

Crema

I feel the weight of evidence would have to be quite strong to be worth the expense of reopening the case.

And let's quit the conspiracy bs, it only makes everyone dumber.

It's like a lifeguard being told there's a missing surfer out at sea. He 100% is dead. No way he could have survived. Not contacted family. Must have drowned or died of exposure within hours... But without a post mortem we cannot say for sure. Could have been murdered directly. No body

Your hours' analogy should be more like months.

MH370 has no survivors. There is no magical floating boat for 3 years waiting to be found on some island.

JettDash

Clearly you dont symphathize. Imagine you are one of those family members, and you have no closure at all, because you don't know where the body of your loved one is located.

I hope you don't have a close friend of family member disappear.

If it were me I don't think I would really care where the plane crashed. Though I would like to know why it did.

What is the cost of continuing the search vs the value of future accidents it could possibly prevent and the closure it could provide the families? There's little guarantee at all that they'll manage to find anything after so much time has passed.

Top Bottom